Jim

Questions for Creator Expert designers

2 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Please ignore the following question if the Creator Houses don't fit within "Creator Expert" category, but my question would be:

I will ask anyway :wink:

Is there a possibility of making a Castle Creator Theme?
What would be the base for design it?

Will they continue the large landmarks series (Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, Big Ben)? If so, wil they at one point consider doing a castle? Buckingham Palace, Versailles or Neuschwannstein Castle?

15 minutes ago, Fabulandlover said:

Will they continue the large landmarks series (Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, Big Ben)? If so, wil they at one point consider doing a castle? Buckingham Palace, Versailles or Neuschwannstein Castle?

Interesting question. However, they will most likely not be answering in too much detail. Will you consider....? "Yes, we might consider... We consider a lot of things"

But I will try to get something out of 'em. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Fergie said:

Hello -  I am seeking a quote to build Lego plans for a private plane.  Need build instructions and materials required.  Will provide a picture.  Can someone help me out? 

Welcome to EB. This isn't the right topic for this. And I am not sure which topic is the right one, since I don't know the details. 

Have 16 stud wide smaller modulars ever been considered? Some have discussed the possibility on the main modular discussion thread, perhaps with one year devoted to two 16 wide modulars priced at a $70-$90 range, as opposed to a single 32 by 32 modular.

11 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Please ignore the following question if the Creator Houses don't fit within "Creator Expert" category, but my question would be:

Why have Lego Creator Houses decreased so substantially in size? The earlier models (e.g. Building Bonanza (4886), Model Town House (4954), House (4956), Beach House (4996), Apple Tree House (5891) and Family Home (6754)) offered interesting and sizeable builds. The Creator Houses have been steadily decreasing in size and the upcoming Creator Houses for 2017 (Poolside Holiday (31067), Modern Home (31068) and Family Villa (31069)) are not only smaller builds, but they also all lack four walls / closed (or close-able) backs which was previously standard for Creator Houses. Will Creator Houses ever return to the same size and scale as the earlier models? Will they at least return to having four walls / closed (or close-able) backs? 

The Creator 3-in-1 sets are separate from the Creator Expert sets, but for what it's worth, the Modular Family Villa seems at least as big as Apple Tree House, and substantially bigger than the Beach House. What it lacks in depth it makes up in height and width. According to Brickset it has a net weight and piece count of 1.44kg/728 pieces compared to Beach House's 1.13kg/522 pieces or Apple Tree House's 1.27kg/539 pieces.

Edited by Aanchir

What do you feel is your greatest achievement or your favourite set you have designed?

What has been your greatest disappointment in a set you designed that went to retail, something removed or a change you had to make?

Which is the set (from any theme or era) that you wish most that you'd designed or been a part of?

On 5/11/2017 at 4:08 AM, Niku said:

Is there a possibility of making a Castle Creator Theme?
What would be the base for design it?

This is my big question as well.  Creator Expert level Castle sets would be fantastic.  The Modulars are so well done, applying that level of detail and technique to Castle could make for wonderful sets.  These usually come with many minifigures as well, so that's a plus.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:16 AM, Aanchir said:

but for what it's worth, the Modular Family Villa seems at least as big as Apple Tree House, and substantially bigger than the Beach House. What it lacks in depth it makes up in height and width. According to Brickset it has a net weight and piece count of 1.44kg/728 pieces compared to Beach House's 1.13kg/522 pieces or Apple Tree House's 1.27kg/539 pieces.

Good point and fair enough. I guess it's just the backless design which makes it appear so much smaller (at least to me). I look forward to trying to modify it to something similar to the design of Apple Tree House if the number of pieces are sufficient.

Just been building and for the thousandth time, I found myself wanting plates with studs on both sides!

So, more possible questions for the expert designers then:

Would you like plates with studs on both sides? If not, would you consider that cheating?

Do you think double height plates are possible within the 'system'?

Are there any pieces you wish time after time that you had access to?

Please feel free to ignore or edit/rephrase any of my questions!

*edit* just re-read your guidelines, sorry. Ignore me. As you were!

Edited by badgerboy

On 5/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

I'm very surprised so few people have replied to this topic.

Could be an indicator that Creator sets aren't as popular as some people think. Or not. Hard to say.

I'm interested in this Q&A though, been considering buying a Creator set, and if some sci-fi ones come out I'm all in.

Maybe try asking or suggesting if Creator can be an outlet for original scifi stuff since Star Wars seems to be sucking up all the scifi budget lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

On 2017-5-9 at 1:14 AM, Aventador2004 said:

Why no 1/24th scale cars? I think that is feasible, and I build like that scale all the time.

Instead of "why no 1:24 scale?", it's a matter of "why WOULD they build in 1:24" scale? The current scale seems to work out fine.

Thanks guys! I have made a list of questions which I will send to TLG shortly.

Feel free to add new questions, but I am not sure I will be able to ask them. 

The designing process of the modulars can take more than a year, going through multiple iterations. Can you, as a main designer, build the set without instructions after constructing and deconstructing the set for such a long time?

On 5/21/2017 at 4:25 AM, Jim said:

Thanks guys! I have made a list of questions which I will send to TLG shortly.

Feel free to add new questions, but I am not sure I will be able to ask them. 

Maybe I was under the wrong impression, but did the Creator Expert team show up in person at the event, or were these gathered questions to be sent to them by email or though some other Lego representative?

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Maybe I was under the wrong impression, but did the Creator Expert team show up in person at the event, or were these gathered questions to be sent to them by email or though some other Lego representative?

I have spoken to Michael Psiaki, one of the Creator Expert designers. He is the designer of the blue Beetle, co-designed the Apollo V, etc. We had a nice casual conversation. Hopefully I will post most of it soon. I need to go through several hours of recorded interviews :tongue:

Just now, Jim said:

I have spoken to Michael Psiaki, one of the Creator Expert designers. He is the designer of the blue Beetle, co-designed the Apollo V, etc. We had a nice casual conversation. Hopefully I will post most of it soon. I need to go through several hours of recorded interviews :tongue:

Thanks, that's great to know! :sweet:

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

I need to go through several hours of recorded interviews :tongue:

That's what I figured. Looking forward to reading your interview @Jim!

16 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

That's what I figured. Looking forward to reading your interview @Jim!

Not much information on Monorails though :tongue:

Just now, Jim said:

Not much information on Monorails though :tongue:

LOL! Nah, I actually never was much a fan of the official Lego monorail system, but when I came across the "custom" system I became obsessed! I was actually working on one at this very moment.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jim said:

Cool, can't wait to read it :) 

Hi. I still have to process all the audio files. Have been very busy lately, so I couldn't find the time to do that. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon-ish.