mortesv

[MOC] 1 metre Imperial Class II Star Destroyer - Avenger

Happy May the Fourth everyone!

On to the Imperial fleet!

At the height of its power the Galactic Empire had more than 25.000 Star Destroyers in its fleet. These 1600 meter long, imposing vessels were bristling with high tech weaponry and were the backbone of the Imperial Navy. Supported by a full wing of 72 TIE fighters, of various configurations, a single ship could lay siege to an entire star system. The sheer size of the crafts were often enough to discourage attackers and send them fleeing. Any Rebel dreaded the sight of the bright, iconic wedge-shape at the end of a hyperspace jump, which meant almost certain doom.

When Lego released the 10030 Ultimate Collector’s Star Destroyer back in 2003, it was one of the most ambitious Lego sets ever created. The immense model set a new standard for the size and detail of Star Wars sets TLG would produce in the future.

The 10030 has always been one of my favourite sets, and the first post I ever did here on EB was a tribute to the 10030. I had modified and improved upon the set’s engine section and was, back then, pretty satisfied with the result. Over the years I have returned to the set regularly and added more bells and whistles - as a kind of meditation between building mocs.

While still an impressive set, the 10030 looks somewhat dated today - especially when looking at the much more impressively detailed Star Destroyer mocs that are being produced by the afol community around the world.

The 10030 has been standing on my shelf for more than seven years – but the time has come to retire the old ship and build something new!

With the 10030 dismantled and added to a much larger parts bin, I wanted to create my own super detailed Star Destroyer moc. The goal was clear: as detailed and precise as possible. I wanted to match – and in some cases even surpass - the level of detail of the other modern Star Destroyer mocs.

As per usual, I began this process by finding hundreds of pictures of the Studio model. This time it was the “Avenger” used for filming the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi – built by ILM.

The final Avenger moc is a smidgen over 1m long (1:1600 scale) and uses approximately 7000 bricks.

siHaMqY.png

The Avenger. 1600 meters of Destruction and Fear!  

RHguRph.png

The Command Superstructure. I have tried to match the look of the detailing of the studio model. Many little details are found in the same places. I have used everything from minifig arms (around 250 of them) to small lever bases to produce the correct shapes and cram in as much detail as possible within the limited space. Comparing this area with the official model, you can see the proportions are very different. The official model’s command structure is much too small - probably to save weight and bricks.

yW1XCke.png

The Bridge. The bridge was interesting because ILM also created a more detailed close-up model of it. However, the two models differ in several areas, so what I did was to mix and match what I liked from each model. As you can see old 1 x 4 hinge plates make for wonderful detailing.

zgrsRfm.png

Bridge Front. Here you can see the Imperial Class II type antenna array.

7EqDJk9.png

Stowaways. The Falcon hitching a ride…

nAt4Zk5.png

Garbage Hatch. Before it is thrown out with the rest of the garbage.

Xcp1ZPm.png

Main Cannons. These cannons have the power the penetrate a planet’s crust! Here they are represented by small miniifg wrenches.

S3rZWS9.jpg

Back Hull Detail. When studying the studio model I discovered a ton of detail that I hadn’t noticed before. The backmost edge of the main hull is full of little details – as I have conveyed here using cheese slopes and “gold” bars.

tymUgW2.png

Hull Detail. The picture shows the gap where the main sensor array is housed. Using tiles for the hull plating was pretty straightforward, although I soon discovered that the pattern needed the right mix of tiles types to look convincing. It is also worth noticing that there are several places on the hull where the plating protrudes one plate – at this scale that probably mean an entire floor :) 

iM8iZvf.png

Engines! So much detail here, I don’t know where to begin. Again I studied the studio model closely and tried to get every little pipe right. The struts near the edge are made of droids arms – I even counted the struts on the studio model to get the correct number.

7auUERB.png

Close-up of the pipes. See if you can spot the handle bars.

1bgOZsz.png

More engines, more detail. I used the same wheels for engines as the official model since the have the perfect size for this scale – and that they are perfectly round. I tried making some cool brick built ones, but then I lost the contrast between the clean round shapes and the busy-work of all the piping detail.

hOQ3hSy.png

Middle engine removed. Just so you can see that I am not cheating and skipping details ;)

h2zHbmb.png

U8yZHq9.png

The Side Gap. Housing sensor arrays, tractor-beam-projectors and minifig-arm-cannons.

SDxwa6c.png?1

Main Sensor Array Close-up. It is always fun to find and combine obscure bricks to create details.

9roDLbk.png

Facing Death. A lot of different bricks were used to get the tip of the vessel to match up with the studio model. Making the detailing of the command structure be level while still crammed in within angled plates took a bit of trickery. What is with the blurred lower hull? Well that is a work in progress – another project came in the way ;)

C1TDsdG.png

Chasing Rebels! I simply had to build my rebel fleet in 1:1600 scale to see how it would look next to the Star Destroyer :)

bpTI023.png

I cross my fingers the Rebels will escape alive, but it doesn’t look good!

Let me know what you think and May the Fourth be with You!

LaRkeC0.png

A Day in the Life of a Lego Girlfriend...

Edited by mortesv

Oh my god this is amazing. The attention to detail is amazing. The greebeling on the sides and the rear is just incredible. Looks like an amazing piece to set up for display.

I'm jealous as heck.

Holy shit *huh**huh**huh*

I'm speechless!

The ISD looks really awesome!

The detail level is simply incredible!

A masterpiece of a master!

Thank you for showing!

Edited by bricksmarlin

I can´t believe what I see! AWESOME

Fantastic work. The details everywhere - without words - just enjoy!

My boys will flip out, they both big fans of the ISD

I'll admit, I saw your pics on instagram already :)  But it's always fun to read the write-up. 

I like your choices regarding the size of the bridge and the use of clean, round engines--it's nice to have that contrast with the densely greebled sections.  Well done. 

The added weight must require a strengthened internal structure.  Since the UCS is notoriously fragile, how much does the frame differ?  Also, are the bottom panels still held by magnets? 

18 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Also, are the bottom panels still held by magnets? 

I second that question!

Overall, a great model, to be sure. I don't think you could go any further with detailing in this scale.

That's a very good reason to think about a 2-meter long ISD ;) .

And just one small complaint: such fantastic greebling everywhere and still those huge classic-space wheels as main engine exhausts? They look nothing like the real deal; I know you can do better!

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

I'll admit, I saw your pics on instagram already :)  But it's always fun to read the write-up. 

I like your choices regarding the size of the bridge and the use of clean, round engines--it's nice to have that contrast with the densely greebled sections.  Well done. 

The added weight must require a strengthened internal structure.  Since the UCS is notoriously fragile, how much does the frame differ?  Also, are the bottom panels still held by magnets? 

The internal structure uses the same basic principles of the UCS model - with big V-frames. However everything is much much stronger - using more technic bricks and liftarms to tie the frames better together :) The bottom panels are not done yet, they will not be held by magnets ;)

2 hours ago, dmaclego said:

I second that question!

Overall, a great model, to be sure. I don't think you could go any further with detailing in this scale.

That's a very good reason to think about a 2-meter long ISD ;) .

And just one small complaint: such fantastic greebling everywhere and still those huge classic-space wheels as main engine exhausts? They look nothing like the real deal; I know you can do better!

Regarding the engines, yes they can be brick built, but they do not look any good at this size - I have tested both tile builds and even curved slope builds. While their shape in profile can look a bit better, they look too busy and begin to mesh too much with the background. When looking straight from behind an engine should look very clean. It will alway be a compromise building round shapes at this scale - the Star Destroyer engines does not look 8, 12 or even 16-sided either ;)

Edited by mortesv

This is a pretty awful build, I am sure you can do better... Jokes, ahaha this is amazing, the level of detail is impressive looks like it's come straight out of the films! I'm guessing you saved this build for May the Fourth, I'm glad you did its made my day! I Wish I had 7000 bricks lying around to construct this. :cry_sad:

Happy Star Wars Day, Ellis!

Impressive build and model. Frankly - I first thought you had overdone it a bit with the details at that scale looking at the 'clean' pictures with the even lighting and white background, but that last image where it rests on the table with less even (thus more natural) lighting sold me on this model. Great stuff!

As for reference material - yes, I can empathize, I have hundreds of photos of studio models used for the original movies as well as dozens of images of the models and textures used for the animated shows on my computer by now... :laugh:

How long did it approximately take you from conception to finishing the build?

6 hours ago, bricksmarlin said:

Holy shit *huh**huh**huh*

I'm speechless!

The ISD looks really awesome!

The detail level is simply incredible!

A masterpiece of a master!

Thank you for showing!

I'm blushing :)

4 hours ago, keith520terrell said:

Omfg this ship is amazing!!  Are you going  be willing to release the files to make it?

I have no files of this at the moment :/

5 hours ago, Fuchs said:

I can´t believe what I see! AWESOME

Fantastic work. The details everywhere - without words - just enjoy!

My boys will flip out, they both big fans of the ISD

My kid also wants to play with it, but he is a tad too young - 9 months :)

14 minutes ago, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

Impressive build and model. Frankly - I first thought you had overdone it a bit with the details at that scale looking at the 'clean' pictures with the even lighting and white background, but that last image where it rests on the table with less even (thus more natural) lighting sold me on this model. Great stuff!

As for reference material - yes, I can empathize, I have hundreds of photos of studio models used for the original movies as well as dozens of images of the models and textures used for the animated shows on my computer by now... :laugh:

How long did it approximately take you from conception to finishing the build?

Thank you :) It took around 5 months I think :)

As for references, you can look at them for hours and always miss something - it can drive one mad :D

I know what you mean about the detailing - it is all about the lighting. Looking at the reference shots the ship can look very flat and very intricate, depending on the light. That made it a bit hard to find the proper detail level, but there was a version that had a few more bits on, which I decided to scrap.

The pictures are taken to show off as much detail as possible, but that is also why I felt it was necessary to have the livingroom shot :)

Sitting on the shelf in my Lego room, it looks just right :)

Beutiful ship! Great details everywhere! Now build one in your ucs Nebulon B scale : p

Mind-blowing! *huh* Incredible work, love that you also included the Nebulon-B, Blockade Runner, and transports. Only complaint: there should only be one Millennium Falcon. :wink:

This is gorgeous, man. :thumbup:

I am a little envious of you and your King size ISD. It really does look like the studio model. When you get the ventral hull finished, maybe you could do a little pan shot or a 360 to get the full effect. Also, it looks a lot better in the more natural light.

That looks absolutely incredible. Words cannot express! 

Having just recently completed building 10030 you really can't understate the size (and fragility) of it. How much bigger than the original UCS is this? 

And I thought you can't top your Nebulon build @mortesv!!! :laugh:

Lovely and imaginative greebling work all round and thank you for sharing your unique build. I am now looking at my 10030 and would like to incorporate some of your ideas to the rear of the ship, especially the areas surrounding the 4 smaller engines.

Would you be kind enough to share how you build those platforms where the 4 smaller engines are connected to?

Thanks and once again, awesome work! :thumbup:

Edited by Azrielsc

That is flat out insane! Incredible attention to detail. You deserve to make money from this 'hobby'.

9 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Mind-blowing! *huh* Incredible work, love that you also included the Nebulon-B, Blockade Runner, and transports. Only complaint: there should only be one Millennium Falcon. :wink:

Hehe, I knew someone would comment on that :D However, maybe it is another YT-1300 Light Freighter getting supplies from the Nebulon B? :D

8 hours ago, scythelt said:

That looks absolutely incredible. Words cannot express! 

Having just recently completed building 10030 you really can't understate the size (and fragility) of it. How much bigger than the original UCS is this? 

This is a few cm bigger. From tip to stern the 10030 is just over 98cm. This is just over 100cm :)

4 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

And I thought you can't top your Nebulon build @mortesv!!! :laugh:

Lovely and imaginative greebling work all round and thank you for sharing your unique build. I am now looking at my 10030 and would like to incorporate some of your ideas to the rear of the ship, especially the areas surrounding the 4 smaller engines.

Would you be kind enough to share how you build those platforms where the 4 smaller engines are connected to?

Thanks and once again, awesome work! :thumbup:

Thank you :) As for the smaller engines: First remove the barrel (engine). Then add a few bricks to the round platform. On top of the bricks place a plate with a hinge brick on top. When you place a plate on the hinge brick you can see how much higher the platform needs to be before adding the barrel again. In terms of plates you can look at pictures what I have used :) To make everything easier you can build the entire structure in hand. I did the that and went back and forth a few times adding it to the ship to get the correct height and shape.