Sign in to follow this  
Sir Nigel Gresley

[MOC] 4-Stud Wide G.W.R. 47xx

Hi guys.

I'm quite new to Eurobricks and this is my first MOC. I'm from Britain so have done a quite recognisable Great Western Railway pannier tank. I've experimented with 2 liveries a British Rail black (post 1948) and GWR green (pre 1948) I have never used LDD that much so any hints are tips will be appreciated. Thanks5908e49288c26_0-6-0PTGWRandBR.thumb.png.d3f87d0d8f286d3c1a4c5b19ce67adc4.png5908e4660802a_0-6-0PTGWR.thumb.png.af718b79a09c85de6873ccf2925bce8e.png

Edited by Sir Nigel Gresley

Welcome! :sweet:

Very good model, instantly recognizable as a GWR Pannier (to me, at least!). Good job capturing it in such a small scale, too. How about trying to represent cab windows with 1x1 technic bricks? Other than that, I can't think of a way to improve it easily.

For LDD, which mode are you using? If when it starts up you click on 'extended mode' you get a much larger selection of parts to use; all of them, theoretically. You can then use actual rails and rail wheels, although the latter are probably a bit too big for the scale represented here.

Also, you might want to edit the formatting in the first post; most of your text is a link :wink:!

11 hours ago, Sir Nigel Gresley said:

Hi guys.

I'm quite new to Eurobricks and this is my first MOC. I'm from Britain so have done a quite recognisable Great Western Railway pannier tank. I've experimented with 2 liveries a British Rail black (post 1948) and GWR green (pre 1948) I have never used LDD that much so any hints are tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to Eurobricks, @Sir Nigel Gresley (The?). My personal preference is to enable the "Outlines on Bricks" option in the preferences -- this draws the seams between bricks, which gives a better representation of what the model will look like in real life.

For the front of the boiler, you can use some bricks with studs on the side rather than a Technic brick, which will allow you to attach the smokebox without having visible holes in the pannier tanks.

Cool model for a first effort. Instantly recognisable as a pannier. It's also nice to see another person trying out with 4-wide scale. I can't wait to see an auto-coach in the same scale to go with it. 

I'm now thinking how to squeeze in a motor into one (an autocoach that is) but I don't think it's possible. Perhaps micromotor+9v cell and modified power clip? With elastic band power transmission... hmm. It would be awesome to see this moving though.

Nice work. You've got the look down for the size. It's good to see others working in 4 wide.

That is really sharp, only one suggestion is to make the studs on the cab roof go away. Perhaps using a pair of 2x2 curved slopes? I would agree, 6 wide is difficult, 4 wide is REALLY difficult.