Captain Braunsfeld

Silent Mary - MOD 1 + MOD 2

Well, there is a new ship out by TLG, isn't it?  The "Silent Mary" it seems.

Seems to be well designed to look like the ship in the movie - still I felt intrigued to apply some modifications.

Part 1 = MOD1

33570693354_9faf65bfd7_c.jpg

The masts were a bit too short for my taste.

But still I had a ship that was not really usable for BoBS or other purposes.

So I tried to turn her into a "real ship":

Part 2 = MOD 2

33537741944_c44346e6c0_c.jpg

I had actually started working on the hull with a different goal in mind - but then I acquired the SM and I found that she has some interesting elements (the castle towers, the sheer amount of gold, the guns/cannons (Kurrigan, help me out, is it "guns" or "cannons"?))
which I wanted to keep.

33995007690_449513e86f_c.jpg

Now I have named her "Cookie's Delight" and have used her as a starting point for a new storyline on BoBS.

I have applied some new building techniques (that is, "new" for me) some of which turn the model into something quite fragile :pir-cry_sad:

But these techniques allow for strange angles, etc.

And the model is modular...

34371606286_d07f313192_c.jpg

The Future:

The sails need some repairs, the captain's cabin is not done (there are actually two right now).

The guns/cannons should be retraceable (is that the right term?).

And a different gallion?

Let's see.

C&C welcome

First mod: Awesome!

Second mod: Terrible (IMHO)

This is a ghost ship and IMO the incomplete hull is the nicest, most unique characteristic and thing this set has to offer.

Nice job though, because modularity is still nice.

Not bad, I like the MOD 2. The only downside with it as it is IMO is that it should have been the length of the original ghost ship, but it doesn't look too bad.

I too like the damaged hull of the original set, but I kinda wish there was an actual full ship hull that was solid, but with cut-outs representing the damaged hull of the Silent Mary.
I suppose that would be too expensive to produce and/or serve too little use to make, but a solid hull piece with cut-outs showing "damages" would be nice to offer more stability to a ghost ship.

On 2.5.2017 at 10:47 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

First mod: Awesome!

Second mod: Terrible (IMHO)

This is a ghost ship and IMO the incomplete hull is the nicest, most unique characteristic and thing this set has to offer.

Nice job though, because modularity is still nice.

Thanks - :pir-grin: - I have no use for such a ghost ship. 

So my options are: sell it / turn it into something I can use ...

On 3.5.2017 at 2:33 AM, Error404 said:

Not bad, I like the MOD 2. The only downside with it as it is IMO is that it should have been the length of the original ghost ship, but it doesn't look too bad.

I too like the damaged hull of the original set, but I kinda wish there was an actual full ship hull that was solid, but with cut-outs representing the damaged hull of the Silent Mary.
I suppose that would be too expensive to produce and/or serve too little use to make, but a solid hull piece with cut-outs showing "damages" would be nice to offer more stability to a ghost ship.

You have a good point there.

Especially when I saw the pictures in comparison I thought that the modified version is a bit too short.

The question is whether I have one or two additional hull pieces ... :pir-cry_sad:

And as for the Silent Mary as the ghost ship she is supposed to be: that is fine. Great adaptation from the movie (which still has to be released...)

First mod - I haven't looked too much at the original, but I do think the masts look much better on your version. The second mod is much more interesting - it reminds me a bit of the Sea Cow - basically a giant, short ship - not realistic in any way (Except if you see this as realistic: 
34-1c8da68405.jpg

), but great looking - good mod!

On 5/2/2017 at 4:02 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Kurrigan, help me out, is it "guns" or "cannons"?

I've always maintained that the tradition in navies of English speaking nations, that once it's set on the deck of a ship any piece of artillery, be it rifled or smooth bore, muzzle or breech loader, etc. It becomes a "gun". 

On 5.5.2017 at 11:51 PM, Legostone said:

First mod - I haven't looked too much at the original, but I do think the masts look much better on your version. The second mod is much more interesting - it reminds me a bit of the Sea Cow - basically a giant, short ship - not realistic in any way (Except if you see this as realistic: 
34-1c8da68405.jpg

), but great looking - good mod!

:grin: ok - since when am I known for building realistic ships?

On 6.5.2017 at 1:44 AM, kurigan said:

I've always maintained that the tradition in navies of English speaking nations, that once it's set on the deck of a ship any piece of artillery, be it rifled or smooth bore, muzzle or breech loader, etc. It becomes a "gun". 

Thank you for the clarification!

2 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

:grin: ok - since when am I known for building realistic ships?

I never said that! I'm just saying it is a good non-realistic ship :pir-laugh:

Edited by Legostone

Nice one Cpt B! Your version is something I would prefer any time over that skeleton of a ship called Silent Mary...

On 7.7.2017 at 6:44 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one Cpt B! Your version is something I would prefer any time over that skeleton of a ship called Silent Mary...

Thanks a lot.  But you can always turn a skeleton ship into a home of stranded pirates ... :laugh:

I love the fix of it, but I do wish that it was the length of the silent Mary so it can be a top of the line and have more cannons. But another than that you did a great job!

On 5.9.2017 at 3:17 AM, Captain Pirate Man said:

I really like the 2nd one, you have inspired me sir!!! I have 2 SM's waiting for me...

Thanks - in the meantime I have lengthened the ship which makes it look better (but I did not take pictures and now the ship is stowed away in some box..).

I can only recommend to go for the length of the original SM.