MKJoshA

May 2017: Star Wars Thrawn Contest

UPDATE! Deadline has been extended to June 17th.

Thrawn.

One of the Empire's most brilliant tacticians. His ability to discern his enemies actions and reactions was legendary. He earned his reputation because time and time again he was able to predict what his enemy would do. One of his methods for learning about his enemy was by studying their art.

Thrawn

"I've been studying the tactics of the Rebel General Belcoze who's been giving us so much trouble. Do you see these two paintings? One was painted by the General's cousin just last year. It's an original that is fetching millions of credits at auction. The other was painted by Belcoze when he was six, over twenty years ago. It was found at the back of an old closet when the Empire raided his family's home. There's no way General Belcoze's cousin could have seen this painting before making his own. Now, the Iktotchi species is known for their precognitive abilities, but this example shows that General Belcoze is particularly gifted in this area. So when we try to ambush him, he'll expect it. That's why I want you to send a second group of soldiers to ambush his ambush."

Thrawn

"We have you now General Belcoze!"

Thrawn

"I was expecting you."

Thrawn

"So were we."

Now it's your turn!

Build two MOCs depicting Thrawn learning about his enemy and triumphing over them by studying their art. The first MOC should be no smaller than 16x16 square studs and should show Thrawn learning about his enemy through studying their art work. The second MOC should be no smaller than 32x32 square studs and should show how Thrawn's knowledge allowed the Empire to be victorious.

Rules

• Only one entry is allowed per person. Both MOCs should be shown in the same topic. Entries without 2 separate MOCs will be disqualified.
  • There is no maximum size limit, just the minimums.
  • Thrawn must be present in the first MOC. He may be present in the second but is not required to be.
  • Some lenience will be allowed if you want to participate in this contest but do not own a Thrawn minifigure. Creativity will count heavily if you depict Thrawn without the actual minifigure.
  • The contest will run from 1st May to 17th June, 2017. As long as it's still June 17th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • There must be at least 10 entries for the prizes listed below to be awarded. If there are fewer than 10 entries, there will still be prizes, they will just not be the same as are listed in the prizes section.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors. All digital entries should include a link to the digital file to ensure only existing piece colors are used.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum, the title prefixed by, "[Thrawn] - entry name". (For example, "[Thrawn] – Out-thinking the Iktotchi".) A link must also be included in this thread for your entry to count.
  • Post pictures no larger than 1024x671, but you may link to bigger pictures.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on two pictures (the intention is one for each of the two MOCs entered for this contest). All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • For each category EB members will vote for their favorite entry in each category.

Prizes (may change, but probably won't)

• First place will win 75105 Millennium Falcon
  • Second place will win 75140 Resistance Troop Transport
  • Third place will win 75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank

Wow, great contest! I'll be sure to enter this one. 

Kind of surprised The Phantom isn't one of the prizes. :laugh: 

Edited by mediumsnowman

15 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

Wow, great contest! I'll be sure to enter this one. 

Kind of surprised The Phantom isn't one of the prizes. :laugh: 

Glad to see you answered your own question :yoda:

And I thought about trying to get The Phantom as a prize, but seeing as most people who enter this contest will already own a copy of the set to get Thrawn, it seemed better to offer other selections :classic:

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Glad to see you answered your own question :yoda:

Yeah... typed that out, hit post, thought it was weird that I didn't see it in the rules to begin with... decided to reread the rules just in case and edited my post accordingly. :yoda: 

1 hour ago, Artizan said:

why is this not in Watto's Junkyard?

Likely to attract Star Wars fans who don't necessarily visit Watto's Junkyard.

6 hours ago, Artizan said:

why is this not in Watto's Junkyard?

I don't know what you mean :look:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... If only I can fit this in around GBW Builds..... Mayyyyybe.

4 hours ago, Sir Gareth said:
4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I don't know what you mean :look:

Well-played, my friend :wink:

Very well-played. :grin:

7 hours ago, markus1984 said:

Great Contest :wub:

I'd love to see your take on this contest! Hope you find time to build!

I've made a couple tweaks to the rules. All changes are in red. Let me know if you have questions. 

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I've made a couple tweaks to the rules. All changes are in red. Let me know if you have questions. 

You should've said "I have tweaked the rules. Pray I don't tweak them any further" :wink:

On 5/2/2017 at 11:27 AM, MKJoshA said:

All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors. All digital entries should include a link to the digital file to ensure only existing piece colors are used.

So we can't have certain pieces in transparent colors/metallic colors if you can't go get them in real life? :look: 

8 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

So we can't have certain pieces in transparent colors/metallic colors if you can't go get them in real life? :look: 

Correct. You can only use currently available color/piece combos.

2 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

For digital entries, what is the policy on prints? Specifically ones for minifigures? 

Prints that match existing prints are allowed, using whatever program to achieve that result.

Hi

This sounds like a great competition (Thrawn being one of favourite characters!!) and my entry is well under way!! I do have a question though about the number of photos allowed.

Is it ok to post more than 1 pic of each MOC? If so, how different could images of  the same MOC be? For example your second MOC has images with and without the troopers on the top. Could I for example show the before and after of an attack or is it just a case of being allowed to move/pose minifigs?

Finally, could I show 2 different scenes in the first MOC (for example an undercover Thrawn acquiring an item, and then him in uniform back on his Star Desroyer explaining its significance to his fellow officers?

Hope that makes sense!! 

Thanks in advance....

2 hours ago, greg3 said:

Hi

This sounds like a great competition (Thrawn being one of favourite characters!!) and my entry is well under way!! I do have a question though about the number of photos allowed.

Is it ok to post more than 1 pic of each MOC? If so, how different could images of  the same MOC be? For example your second MOC has images with and without the troopers on the top. Could I for example show the before and after of an attack or is it just a case of being allowed to move/pose minifigs?

Finally, could I show 2 different scenes in the first MOC (for example an undercover Thrawn acquiring an item, and then him in uniform back on his Star Desroyer explaining its significance to his fellow officers?

Hope that makes sense!! 

Thanks in advance....

Glad your entering the contest! You can post as many pictures as you want. The only limit is that you can only do a full-blown photoshop job on 2, one of each MOC. Other than that you can take different shots from all angles and include or not include minifigs as desired!

6 hours ago, DarthsDonuts54 said:

Awesome competition.

Quick question, is it required to add the quotes underneath the pictures?

Thanks

Quotes under the pictures are not required, but adding a story will most certainly add to the appeal of your entry and make it more likely to win.

Any chance at an extension for this contest?

There's still a few days left, and we might see a flood of entries at the last moment, but it doesn't seem to have captured much attention so far, which is really a shame, as the theme is quite cool and the prizes are nice.