i know those, thanks, ill try those if it turns out i have 4 of them ;)

1 hour ago, Marxpek said:

for sure it was old as it is the longer version, replaced all old u-joints for new style ones, was needed for correct geometry also.

But i decided to do it the correct way with portal hubs and the extra gearing helps a lot for its performance, now i am using the 12t-20t setup. but i was wondering: can i also use 8t-24t gear setup within the portal hubs? or would an XL-motor break the 8t gear?

they fit fine, i tried it with an l motor but not a xl.

After five days, I return. Thank you @Aventador2004 for maintaining the topic during my absence. I am available to answer any other questions that may arise.

On 2017-05-08 at 0:25 PM, LXF said:

Just a dumb question, would my early entry count? I am having some ideas for a new one though 

Yes, send me your earlier entry formally, and I'll post it.

On 2017-05-10 at 10:48 AM, Zero (Zblj) said:

You guys asked for it:

:snip:

Powered by 4 XL motors and a servo.

Original steering and gearbox are also connected to the chassis, so they work too.

More info posted in seperate topic soon.

Wow! Glad to see the progress! Though I was expecting a 42056 entry, this is just so BADASS!

Just now, letsbuild said:

After five days, I return. Thank you @Aventador2004 for maintaining the topic during my absence. I am available to answer any other questions that may arise.

Your welcome! Glad I could help.

@letsbuild

Please excuse, but somehow I don't understand the rules ...

AMS stands for first Annual Motorized Set contest, does that mean we have to mod an existing set and motorize (RC) it? How far can the modification go? Just put a motor (for any function) in an existing set, which wasn't motorized in that function, and keep the original look as near as possible? Does the MOD have to drive, or is it enough to motorize a winch f.e.?

My first idea was to combine the Porsche hull and drivetrain from 9398 Rock Crawler. But wheelbase was to short and narrow. So I would have ended up with a MOD, that has a heavily modded 9398 drivetrain and a part of a different set (Porsche). That's the goal of this contest?

Then I saw this idea already realized, so I had to change mine. Next idea was to crawlify 42025 Cargo Plane! This would have ended up with a funny MOD, that has no climbing abilities, but is great "crawlified". Does this one fit better or worse than my first idea to the contest goal?

Since I wasn't sure, I thought about modding 42005 Monster Truck. In fact, motorize it, and it still will stay a Monster Truck, not a Rock Crawler. And it's to small to fit a normal BB, so this would turn out more as a MOC than a MOD of an existing set. You still can see the relationship to 42005, it's a Monster Truck with self designed drivetrain and body, but in fact these models will be quite different. Does it still count?

While there are no prizes to win, I think this contest is more fun then a hard combat. My entry is assembled, but not photographed. So it's only two fotos and a (short) video is essential to enter?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Edited by MegaRoi
... the name should be right ;)

My set is heavily modified! Chassis, axels etc but in a way to argue that it is now a proper (hopefully) trial truck. Otherwise as you say it could be just comical entries.

although I have used only a handful of extra parts from other sets which I see as a bonus thumbsup.

I plan on building a chassis for the 9394 jet after a brief thought, I have a jet, why not use it.

here i will be sharing full pictures of my WIP 8048 Crawler MOD "Rune Buggy"

Mainly because i would like you opinions, i am in doubt about the setup, a trade off between looks and performance, what would you do?

qmx46v.jpg

A good looking setup, but it tends to roll over backwards when going over +/- 40 degrees incline.

16ln5he.jpg

turned around the back axle here, lengthening the wheelbase and placing it COG more towards the front drastically increases climbing abilities, but... i do not like the looks...

what would you pick? looks or performance? 

Edited by Marxpek

Thanks and with the portal hubs installed it is unstoppable now.

But performance or looks... tough trade off, i tend to say performance, on the other hand... looks is probably what the voters want (not that i expect to have a fighting chance against the orange monster ;D)

10 hours ago, MegaRoi said:

@letsbuild

Please excuse, but somehow I don't understand the rules ...

AMS stands for first Annual Motorized Set contest, does that mean we have to mod an existing set and motorize (RC) it? How far can the modification go? Just put a motor (for any function) in an existing set, which wasn't motorized in that function, and keep the original look as near as possible? Does the MOD have to drive, or is it enough to motorize a winch f.e.?

My first idea was to combine the Porsche hull and drivetrain from 9398 Rock Crawler. But wheelbase was to short and narrow. So I would have ended up with a MOD, that has a heavily modded 9398 drivetrain and a part of a different set (Porsche). That's the goal of this contest?

Then I saw this idea already realized, so I had to change mine. Next idea was to crawlify 42025 Cargo Plane! This would have ended up with a funny MOD, that has no climbing abilities, but is great "crawlified". Does this one fit better or worse than my first idea to the contest goal?

Since I wasn't sure, I thought about modding 42005 Monster Truck. In fact, motorize it, and it still will stay a Monster Truck, not a Rock Crawler. And it's to small to fit a normal BB, so this would turn out more as a MOC than a MOD of an existing set. You still can see the relationship to 42005, it's a Monster Truck with self designed drivetrain and body, but in fact these models will be quite different. Does it still count?

While there are no prizes to win, I think this contest is more fun then a hard combat. My entry is assembled, but not photographed. So it's only two fotos and a (short) video is essential to enter?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

You can pick any set produced by TLG, doesn't have to be a technic set. The modifications can go as far as you want, but try to kee the porportions/bodywork recognizable. A MOD is whatever you want it to be. You take it where your brain goes.

To enter, you need to PM me two photos, a video, and a small text about the model. Fairly simple.

As for 42025, it would be pretty cool to see that "crawlified". its not every day you see an airplane with HUGE wheels under it.

To crawlify a MOC, we're going mostly for offroad performance, so, as you stated, modifying 42005 while trying to keep it just motorized still counts, but it all depends on the voters.

3 hours ago, Marxpek said:

here i will be sharing full pictures of my WIP 8048 Crawler MOD "Rune Buggy"

Mainly because i would like you opinions, i am in doubt about the setup, a trade off between looks and performance, what would you do?

A good looking setup, but it tends to roll over backwards when going over +/- 40 degrees inclines.

turned around the back axle here, lengthening the wheelbase and placing it COG more towards the front drastically increases climbing abilities, but... i do not like the looks...

what would you pick? looks or performance? 

Whatever works man, looks really good!

Edited by letsbuild

54 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

As for 42025, it would be pretty cool to see that "crawlified". its not every day you see an airplane with HUGE wheels under it.

that is my plan but with 9394 jet.

71WDtYtF4EL._SL1368_.jpg

Looks great Marxpek!

I like the interesting steering setup with the LA's and turntable if I see things right?

Thanks, i was not aware the LA-turntable combo is rarely used for steering, seems a good option to me, as it can help climb when a front wheel is locked behind a rock or ridge, because it is really strong, but don't expect to make a sudden turn ;) its turn circle is not that big, but we all know how fast the actuators work (geared up 1:1,667, still slow)

But to be honest it was the result of not having a servo motor available, while i wanted a strong and accurate steering setup, a return to center system with m-motor would not be powerful enough and this seemed a nice solution and i like how it functions, I've also tried to mesh a worm gear with the turntable, but it was weak because bracing it was hard and not symmetrical, so I ditched that idea fast. In the meanwhile i do have a servo available, but i will not be replacing the actuators, it does stuff the servo cannot i think. 

The rear axle also contains a turntable, placed vertically to allow the crawler to flex over 45 degrees on the lower rear springs, but i guess that is a common used solution?

Since this is the first crawler i ever built and i never do research in advance ( i think research in advance limits your own idea's, i start research when i run into issues ) i am pretty happy about the result, if all tests go well today and i am happy about the driving i will shoot video as well, if not: i will adjust.

If i have time left, i might just try a 2nd crawler, i have a idea which i think will surprise everyone and will have better power to weight ratio if i get it right!

Sorry this turned into a real long post...

Ok so I finished my axels properly today.

to be honest I had these mocked up a couple weeks before this challenge for the set I was building at the time (which is the set I'm now trial trucking for this challenge) due to its poor steering and bump steer...that gives it away...anyway finished properly now.

lots more ground clearance. 2 studs wider track lots less bump steer. 4 wheel steering. 4 link (?) setup (ditched the panhards)

img_2366.jpg 

img_2367.jpg 

img_2368.jpg 

img_2369.jpg 

Chassis is almost finalised also, but I have hit a major blank with the pneumatics.

i have two switches with a motorised pump feeding them, but when both switches are in middle 'neutral' position the motor stalls with air pressure buildup. 

Im trying to make a pressure relief thing that's automatically open when switches in neutral then closed when switches operating but I have no elastic bands or spring stuff. I have 8851 from my childhood but the bands are missing. Any ideas or help appreciated. I'll get photos up soon to show what I mean.

how do Lego sets deal with this like 42053 for example? 

Edited by MangaNOID

@MangaNOIDI own the 42053, but never built in the PF, but as far as i can recall there is no pressure relief, but i never had a motor stall by a compressor, more likely to pop a tube off i think.

Maybe gear down the compressor motor and install a air tank? would buy you more time before the pressure gets too high and the motor would have it easier.

a pressure relief could work by using the springiness of a lift arm maybe?, make it bend with a pneumatic actuator and make the actuator control a electric switch to feed to compressor motor? i hope i make sense here..

Edited by Marxpek

Well, here is mine. The gears grind whenever I try to crawl with it, for some unknown reason. And I don't feel like redoing the axles, so this is it. I'm not making an LDD.800x480.jpg The video will be made soon.

EDIT: I'll probably be making a New one instead.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

26 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Well, here is mine. The gears grind whenever I try to crawl with it, for some unknown reason. And I don't feel like redoing the axles, so this is it. I'm not making an LDD.

"Snip"

The video will be made soon.

Looks great, does it crawl well?

Video on my 8048 crawler is up, made a topic for it, but i'll post the video here as well since it gets a bit lost in (better) other topics.

Check it out if you like, i'd really like comments on the build and/or the video itself (just started making videos and i want to improve editing skills as well, but please consider i only have my phone and a small tripod for filming..)

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Looks great, does it crawl well?

It doesn't. That's why I've decided to not enter. :hmpf_bad:

I made a crawler transporter though.:grin: Yep, that's a little space shuttle on top!

800x480.jpg

Just now, Offroadcreat1ons said:

It doesn't. That's why I've decided to not enter. :hmpf_bad:

I made a crawler transporter though.:grin: Yep, that's a little space shuttle on top!

"Snip"

I am still on the fence because I don't have any long springs. I am trying though.

@Aventador2004Put the short springs inboard more? Just be more attentive to Cente of gravity.

@Offroadcreat1onsfix the truck, it looks awesome and can't be that bad crawling? Or Just edit the video real well haha.

@MarxpekI tried the lift arm solution but it just wasn't springy enough and I also need the motor running full time without switch off. I did however realise that I have springs from 42039. Major brain collapse that day. I came up with this (rough)...

img_2393.jpg

it worked but was rather slow. I also realised that 1 pump was enough instead of 3, so the relief valve is not really needed! What a waste of time.

Edited by MangaNOID

Just now, MangaNOID said:

@Aventador2004Put the short springs inboard more? Just be more attentive to Cente of gravity.

@Offroadcreat1onsfix the truck, it looks awesome and can't be that bad crawling? Or Just edit the video real well haha.

I am still trying ideas, it will pull through.