I wanted to build something special for the rebrick LEGO Technic BMW motorcycle competition.

800x451.jpg

The first idea I got was to try to make hubless wheels. After trying several wheel sizes approaches and techniques I decided to use the old 8880 soft tyres with a combiantion of 8 135 degree connectors and a nunch of smaller internal wheels:

800x451.jpg

In order to make the bike look low and sleek I decided to ditch the normal handlebar steering system for a multi-link one, which gave the bike its distinctive front shape:

800x686.jpg

Steering.gif

Belly photo of the multilink steering system - notice the two 6L steering links which allow for suspension movement:

800x292.jpg

Of course a bike like this also needs suspension which is hidden in the frame:

800x451.jpg

suspension.gif

And finally the bike was covered finished in blue trim, with BMW color detail in the front:

800x451.jpg

And of course I just had to include the special 3L beam found in this year's sets:

800x422.jpg

And here's a video to finish it all up:

In the end of the day I am very proud of myself for building something out of the box, I learned how to make smoothly rotating hubless wheels and I managed to build something trully futuristic with all the weird angles, shapes and functions.

If anyone is interested in rebuilding this beauty, there is also an LXF file of the model without the tyres here:

BMW U2-P1A

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

Very out-of-the-box indeed! Steering, suspension and those hubless wheels, all very clever!

The hubless wheels i saw before in a slightly different setup, but your steering and suspension setup are amazing, very nice job!

If the rear end could be brought one stud closer to the chassis, it would look perfect to me.

But that is the most minor of complaints, and the only one I can think of - the bike is a study in mastering unconventional techniques otherwise. The steering jumps out to me as something I would never think of myself.

It is a very pretty bike and I mean the technical solutions at the first place.:thumbup:  So I take it as you are back in your old shining form. :wink:

Interesting build!  I'm surprised at how easily it rolls.  Now I'd like to see a way to transmit power to those wheels!

It looks like some vehicle for Batman. Really cool:thumbup: Sadly no drive implemented so far, but other features are just great. Very very impressive.

Definitely the most clever and unique Lego technic bike I've ever seen! Very well done and very clever solutions! 

Thanks guys, I only wish there was a simple way to transfer power from such wheels to a fake engine or such.

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Thanks guys, I only wish there was a simple way to transfer power from such wheels to a fake engine or such.

I suppose in a futuristic bike like this the propulsion can (must) be inside the weels. Electric motors, whatever... :wink: Even thoug I like smelly, noisy bikes of these days (preferably a big V2) we have to accept the future is something different. And if they will look like yours I don't mind if it sounds like a hair dryer. :grin:

On 5/1/2017 at 11:23 AM, Didumos69 said:

Very out-of-the-box indeed! Steering, suspension and those hubless wheels, all very clever!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well done!

Great functionalities despite the small size! To create a power transmission you'd probably need to scale it up, then you could use a driveshaft to transmit the power along the support beams. A smaller wheel could drive the big one from the inside.

19 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

...if there is something like this part to fit inside tire - that would be solution...*huh*

Very innovative, the hubless wheels are very nice, how well do the wheels turn? For a engine could you mesh another smaller wheel to the rear one and use that?

53 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

Very innovative, the hubless wheels are very nice, how well do the wheels turn? For a engine could you mesh another smaller wheel to the rear one and use that?

The old 8880 wheels turn okay-ish, there is of course some friction, but they do spin under the bike's weight. We will see what I could use for engine, but it probably wont be an efficient solution.

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

On 5/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, Zero (Zblj) said:

...or you can use this part

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=64712&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

With Tumbler tire and use gear 16 tooth to transfer rotation via kardan axle to engine like todays BMW bikes...

:wink:

Here's a picture of LDD version of the model made in developer mode with collisions disabled. Wheels are not correct, but they sure look awesome.

800x423.jpg

Edited by Zero (Zblj)