[REVIEW] 75103 First Order Transporter

On a scale of 1 to 5...  

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

I'm glad that I don't need to put any spoiler tag below because I'm sure most, if not all, Star Wars fans should have watched the Force Awaken movie by now. Without wasting time let's jump right in my 6th RA review, LEGO set 75103 – First Order Transport.
33434145443_22eb89043d_c.jpg

Overview

Name: 75103-1: First Order Transporter 
Theme:  Star Wars / The Force Awakens 
Year: 2015 (2H) 
Pieces: 788 
Minifigures: 
Price: USD 89.99 / EUR 99.99 / GBP 79.99 / SGD 179.99 / MYR 449.90 
Resources: Brickset and Bricklink

Deliver troops to the battle with the super-tough First Order Transporter!

Lower the ramp, load the troopers and get ready to transport them into battle! This heavily armored First Order Transporter is packed with cool features, like dual spring-loaded shooters, top-mounted dual-stud shooter and hatch with space for a minifigure, pilot cabin with opening hatch and space for 4 minifigures in the hold, big engines at the rear, and hidden, transparent wheels for a cool ‘hover’ look. You can also remove the top section for easy access. Get ready to recreate incredible battle scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens! Includes 7 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: 2 Resistance Soldiers, 2 First Order Flametroopers, 2 First Order Stormtroopers and Captain Phasma.

Includes 7 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: 2 Resistance Soldiers, 2 First Order Flametroopers, 2 First Order Stormtroopers and Captain Phasma
Features dual spring-loaded shooters, top-mounted stud shooter, pilot cabin with opening hatch and space for a minifigure, hold with space for 4 minifigures, big engines at the rear, removable top section, and hidden, transparent wheels for a ‘hovering’ look
Weapons include 2 blasters, silver-look blaster, titanium-look blaster and2 flamethrowers
Accessories include 6 helmets
Turn the gear to lower the ramp
Remove the top for easy access
Looks like it really hovers!
Recreate fantastic scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The perfect addition to any LEGO® Star Wars collection
Measures over 5” (15cm) high, 12” (31cm) long and 5” (13cm) wide

Introduction 

According to Star Wars databank: The First Order’s stormtrooper transports – formally known as Atmospheric Assault Landers – are designed for the speedy delivery of up to 20 stormtroopers to the battlefield for ground operations. A pilot guides the transport to its drop zone from an elevated cockpit, while a gunner protects the no-frills craft during its final approach.

Here is the key information from the The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Section book: 

• Manufacturer: Sienar-Jaemus Army Systems
  • Model: Atmospheric Assault Lander (AAL)
  • Class: Troop transport
  • Length: 17.83 meters (58.49 feet)*
  • Crew: 1 pilot, 1 gunner, and up to 20 stormtrooper
  • Weapons: 1 Sienar-Jaemus F-20 antipersonnel blaster cannon
  • Affiliation: First Order

*There is a discrepancy here. In Star Wars databank it is a little bit longer (18.05m). 

Now let's begin scrutinising the box, shall we? 
34087683642_1a16c4075f_c.jpg
The front box panel shows 2 Resistance soldiers attacking (or running away from) the First Order Stormtroopers and Flametroopers troopers. Captain Phasma is shown here actively participating in the pursuit of the Resistance soldiers and firing her blaster -- something that we did not even see in the movie. 
34087682442_5d52dd5202_c.jpg

The back panel shows the multiple weapons included in the set including 3 neon green missiles.

34087680922_ea6cbb70c2.jpg34087681322_7ba7104217_c.jpg

The box is not shy in showing that one of the main selling points of this set is the inclusion of Captain Phasma. She is featured at the side panel of the box. 

Inside the box, there are 6 numbered plastic and 1 unnumbered plastic containing a sticker sheet & instruction booklet that is nicely done in perfect binding (adhesive binding).  

4..6..5... LOL. I forgot how to count
34087679872_d793237a1a_c.jpg

Build 

If you have read my previous reviews, you know that I do not apply stickers. I won't make an exception here so I will point out right now that there is one key part that could really use the sticker but I  decided not to put the sticker anyway. Now that it is out of the way, here's the instruction booklet unwrapped from the plastic bag. 
34087678292_3cf418e9e5_c.jpg

Bag #1 
34114178561_04b3e1016a_z.jpg
Let’s begin by pouring out the content of bag #1. It contains 2 first order Stormtroopers -- always welcome to have more. I will get into details of all minifigures in the latter section; just know that we have 2 Stormtroopers here. There’s also a brick separator included. 
34114177691_c03388c566_z.jpg

We start by building the skeletal frame of the transport. Several technic beams provide the mechanism for the seat that swivels the seat up and down when you twist the light bluish grey 2x2 round brick found at the side.

Bag #2
34087675112_28f9b3a187_z.jpg

After adding the content of bag #2, we now have a trapezoidal shape that resembles the actual shape of the final build.
34087672472_e9a87e578f_c.jpg

I know from the start that this vehicle uses a lot of SNOT techniques so the angled plates (brackets) are not surprising. However, what caught my attention is the use of 2x2 trapezoid flags to create the shape of the heat exchanger fins.
34087671002_151b6fe6f1.jpg

I enjoyed stacking these flag pieces with the modified tile with clip because I had no idea what they were when I was building. After I finished bag #2, only then I realised that these are the heat exchanger fins. I like how it resembles the model very well.

Bag #3
34114175771_cfd9b3daea_z.jpg 
Bag #3 includes the 2 rebel soldiers and lot of grey parts that will cover the sides panels of the transporter. 

34114175011_3af6f8a7f7.jpg

This small build is the terrain sensor module. The 2x2 round tile is supposed to be the atmospheric processing and life support system. For something so peculiar, the designer managed to capture this much vehicle function that could have easily been ignored or omitted. I am happy with its faithful representation to the actual model.
34114174791_74aca59dba_c.jpg

Not everything is presented well, thought. I noticed something that did not match up quite well from the cross section reference book. The location of the landing gear compartment looks off because the dark bluish grey wedge part (which I suppose represents the landing gear compartment) should be positioned further back, near the engine area and not before the terrain sensors. Apart from this, the build looks fantastic thus far.

Bag #4 
34114174451_45daac7e53_z.jpg

We are more than halfway building. Bag #4 adds the engines at the rear end of the transport. You can find the only interesting & uncommon part in this bag also  -- the Trans-Clear Technic Wedge Belt Wheel (Pulley) which very hidden from the picture I have taken below. I will spend more time about the under chassis of this transporter later to talk more about that piece.
34114173981_b80bfeba9b_c.jpg

From what appears like an amphibian tank, now the vehicle looks more like a flying amphibian tank with ion engines.

34114173611_e53362a1f6_z.jpg
Enjoy the naked rear view of the ion engines.

Bag #5
34114173251_69cdbcf681_z.jpg 

This bag is are all grey parts. Try to spot where Captain Phasma is.
34114172881_75fc290ac0_c.jpg 

Bag #5 adds the pilot cockpit and the cover near the tail of the spacecraft, including the hatch covering for the gunner. I will explore the pilot cockpit further later on. For now, take note that a minifigure can fit snugly inside.  

What I want to highlight here is the pilot viewport (windshield) that comes in light grey 2x4 tile.  It is the key part that needs sticker in this set and I a little bit frustrated why it has to be light bluish grey in colour. Hear me out. I am not just rambling here.

You are supposed to put a black sticker on the light bluish grey tile to make it appear like a darkly-tinted window. If you don't apply the sticker then it will appear like a grey slab of concrete or metal obscuring the pilot's view. I don't know what the designer was thinking when he/she made this decision. It looks odd to me. Why can't it be just a black 2x4 tile? There is an existing colour for that element after all. The sticker could provide the grey border as well as the faux-glass shine effect easily. Despite its ugly appearance in grey, I did not put the sticker on as I can easily replace it with a different coloured piece later on.

Bag #6
34087657692_ef2ec487b8_z.jpg

Finally, we are at the last bag. Two Flametroopers are included in the plastic bag. In total, there are 7 minifigures included in this set. The final bag adds up the removable top cover to the transporter.  

Completed build: Armed and ready
34087654442_b5c3593e83_c.jpg

Claustrophobic Pilot cockpit
34114170771_7ab07b9d2f.jpg 34114170471_6796d8dcaf_n.jpg

There is no pilot minifigure included but you can just imagine that a Stormtrooper can do the job just fine. The minifigure is confined in a very tight space. The First Order clearly does not care about pilot ergonomics in the AAL.
giphy.gif

Next to the pilot viewport, the hatch cover allows you to put a gunner to operate the 2 studs shooters. The gunner can play peekaboo with the Resistance soldiers.
34087653232_95e7db999c_c.jpg

The rendition of four SJAS-210 sublight ion engines looks great with those trans-blue 1x4 tiles. The SNOT technique is vital to achieving this shape and it works very well. One inaccuracy, however, is that the upper pair of ion engines should be slightly smaller than the pair of lower ion engines. Not really a big deal. However, if you wish to fix it then you have to use 1x2 and 1x1 trans-light blue tiles as there is no 1x3 trans-light blue tile. Quite troublesome. If you ask me, I'm not even going to bother. It looks okay. 

Now let's talk about the under-chassis. From the view above, it appears that the AAL is completely touching the ground without any landing gear but it is actually touching the ground ever so slightly with 4 transparent wheels. I don't think it is meant to "cheat" anyone into thinking the vehicle hovers because I don't believe AAL could hover. It is just an added play feature so that kids can move it around easily. I let my son play this for a while and his instinct is to push it like a typical land vehicle. It is not very swooshable so it's the best they can do, in my opinion. The designers didn't have to use transparent piece though. Even if the wheels were black or any colour, I don't think they will be visible because the ground clearance is so low that shadows can easily conceal them.
34244439085_d38d70704b.jpg 33434149463_7fba250416.jpg

From the bottom of the transport, we move in front to talk about the exit ramp. I like the mechanism that opens and closes the exit ramp. The mechanism allows you to open and close the ramp simply by pulling and pushing the technic axle and pin connector protruding at the rear end. The brilliant technique also prevents the ramp from freely falling down once you close it. It stays closed when you close it.

giphy.gif

The ramp actuators are just there for decorative purpose only as it is only attached to the ramp but not at side walls.
34244434215_4c6aaba58b_c.jpg
34244435485_6d38ae702a_c.jpg

Aside from the exit ramp, you can also access the interior of the transporter by removing the top cover. The top cover is only attached to 4 studs on top so it can be removed easily.  With the top cover open, you can assemble your Stormtroopers to make sure they are ready for action.

33434145813_2a14f70330_c.jpg

From the picture above, you can only fit 11 Stormtroopers at most (only 8 if you strictly follow the two-abreast formation). 

Now is a good time to segue on the scale. I am not even going to challenge that it is minifigure-scale. It is not. Perhaps a decision was made to save on the number of pieces or the dimension was only made on rough estimation based on concept arts. Either way, the proportion is wrong. It comes close relatively in height and width but the length is just short for a Stormtrooper, I mean transporter. 

Relative to the scale of other Star Wars vehicles, in the Poe Dameron issue 0001 comics, there is a panel that shows the size of AAL relative to the FO TIE Fighter. Clearly, AAL needs to be about as long as 3 FO TIE fighters. 

33957077560_5ef90a1f9a.jpg

Parts 

I don't have any special parts to talk about but I want to briefly mention how cool it is to get these many different blasters in one set.
34114168631_48a2a23dd8_z.jpg

Of course, I won't forget the extra parts beautifully arranged for your reference.
34087644132_53f04ea999_z.jpg

Minifigures 

In this set, we get 2 Resistance soldiers, 2 Stormtroopers, 2 Flametroopers and Captain Phasma. I would have liked it better if there is 1 more Stormtrooper instead of having an extra Flametrooper because frankly who likes to build armies of Flametroopers? I personally don't know anyone. 

Fun fact: Don't you know that there is only 1 female Resistance Soldier torso available and it is only found in this set? The face used for the female Resistance Soldier is also the same face used for Toryn Farr in set #75098 (Assault on Hoth) and Clara Oswald in set # 21304 (Doctor Who). 

Front view
34114169591_61fe284f20_c.jpg
Back view
34114169231_a2ae6e8487_c.jpg
Front view – without hair, head gears and accessories
34114168841_81f7e77d8b_c.jpg
Back view – without hair, head gears and accessories
34114169041_5310ce4de9_c.jpg

By now all Star Wars fans should be used to getting angry clone trooper headpiece. What's interesting here is that Captain Phasma got a black headpiece instead. Honestly, if the Stormtroopers and Flametroopers get a plain black or flesh headpiece I won't mind either.

Fun fact: the printing on Captain Phasma's torso and legs are exactly the same as the standard stormtrooper for the black outlines. Some of the grey outlines were replaced with silver plaint and very minimal additional printing on the chest. 

All in a day's work
34114171041_cef14f7a50_c.jpg

Somehow the fuel thanks on these Flametroopers don't register as fuel thanks in my head. For some reason, they look like big marshmallows to me. Look, they even provided the sticks. 

Conclusion 

To me, the highlights and lowlights of the set can be summarised by these pictures:
34244430855_3d4dff8776.jpg 33434148403_35a0f1369e.jpg

I really enjoyed the construction of the heat exchanger fins and the overall details at the side of the transporter and its engines. 

On the downside, after reviewing some of the pictures I have taken I also noticed that there are some tan parts that are not fully covered. From certain viewing angles, it looks unfinished. Replacing the tan angled plates (brackets) with grey colour can easily fix this. Usually when I see different coloured parts like this which is far from the main colour palette of the build, it is to help younger builders to distinguish the parts needed more easily. It's not really a problem, so to speak. 

Of course I also mentioned about the length of the transporter which should be much longer. However, I think for the amount of minifigures you get and overall volume of the vehicle I feel that the set designer was able to achieve balance of playability and overall build quality.

In conclusion, the value of this set is more than just the inclusion of Captain Phasma. Before getting this set I was fixated that I will be getting this set so that I can get Captain Phasma. Then, I realise that Captain Phasma is just the icing on top after I finished building the set. The build is very enjoyable. AAL is also a very recognisable vehicle that appeared in many Star Wars media, including video games, animated shorts, and comics. Speaking from experience, I really should have bought this much earlier.

Get ready to rumbleeeee!!

33403254214_da2b208b72_c.jpg

Walk out like a boss
33434144613_1e23eded13_c.jpg 

Review summary 

Playability: 9/10 - Kids will enjoy rolling this like a tank. They can role play as Stormtroopers in a mission with all the play features included. 
Design / Building Experience: 8/10 - I really enjoyed the build and techniques used but some design decision could have been better (stickers, proportions, tan angled plates).  
Minifigures:  9/10 - Phasma was overhyped, true -- but getting 7 minifigures is quite generous as more expensive TFA sets had less. 
Price / Value for money: 8/10 - TFA sets were a little overprice for my taste but once 30% discount is available I immediately grabbed this set. 
Overall: 8.5/10 -  Should have bumped this up on my priority list but in the end, all is well. I enjoyed this very much even if I got this set late. 

Next Stop: Jakku
34244429905_b870e2454d_c.jpg

Edited by makoy
Quotes

Just now, VaderFan2187 said:

Great review, @makoy. Though for some reason the majority of the review is in a quote box :look:

The editor messed up.. there is a major issue with quote box. Don't know if it is just me.

I'm glad you enjoyed this set, I never cared much for this before watching the movie, and even after watching it.

Mini-Figure wise it's okay, the two resistance guys I don't care for them much, especially the dude that screams recycling. That set was the only way of getting troopers and Phasma at the time, and Phasma turned to be really lame. She may even be included in a TLJ set.

It feels too stubby, and that upper section is too big. It really doesn't do it for me. 

23 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

I'm glad you enjoyed this set, I never cared much for this before watching the movie, and even after watching it.

Mini-Figure wise it's okay, the two resistance guys I don't care for them much, especially the dude that screams recycling. That set was the only way of getting troopers and Phasma at the time, and Phasma turned to be really lame. She may even be included in a TLJ set.

It feels too stubby, and that upper section is too big. It really doesn't do it for me. 

Believe it or not...I share the same outlook about this set from the eyes of an AFOL. However, I always throw in the perspective of a kid in my review to level my review on the eyes of a casual buyer. 

I understand why its stubbiness throws off AFOLs. The great thing about this set is that it's quite easy to do modifications to make the proportion correct -- extending the body twice to make room for 20 Stormtroopers and slimming down the pilot cockpit further.

True that Phasma will in the episode VIII but she will likely get a slightly updated armour print if she ever appear in any set.

Nice review, makes me regret not buying the set for $50 on an after Christmas sale..... I like how you showed the action features. It kind of has a messy look to it which I'm okay with. Though I'll agree parts do seems a bit out of proportion. The minifigs selection is probably the biggest selling point in my opinion. Not a huge Captain Phasma fan, but it's a nice minifig. Though the lack of a face print is a bit meh. I guess since we haven't seen Phasma without the helmet that's fair enough though.

Great review, makoy.  I bought this set today (for $40) and I'm looking forward to building it.  I, like you, do not apply stickers; so I will definitely replace that light bluish gray 2X4 plate with a black 2X4 plate.  Can you suggest a good "angry female" minifigure head to put on Captain Phasma in place of the unprinted black one she comes with?

On 5/1/2017 at 10:33 PM, FishW said:

Though the lack of a face print is a bit meh. I guess since we haven't seen Phasma without the helmet that's fair enough though.

I don't think we will ever get to see Captain Phasma's face. We only get to see Finn's face because he became rogue Stormtrooper but I don't see Captain Phasma going that direction. 

On 5/2/2017 at 3:06 AM, bobasdad said:

Great review, makoy.  I bought this set today (for $40) and I'm looking forward to building it.  I, like you, do not apply stickers; so I will definitely replace that light bluish gray 2X4 plate with a black 2X4 plate.  Can you suggest a good "angry female" minifigure head to put on Captain Phasma in place of the unprinted black one she comes with?

For the most generic face, I think this one is easiest get and most common in Bricklink:
3626cpb1441.png
Part 3626cpb1441

I like this set yes its too short but I managed to get a second one cheap so I lengthened mine and altered the control module  Job done :classic:

On 5/5/2017 at 1:47 PM, roadstermatt said:

I like this set yes its too short but I managed to get a second one cheap so I lengthened mine and altered the control module  Job done :classic:

That's what I like to do with mine soon as I can't stand its stubbiness anymore. 

On 5/7/2017 at 9:06 PM, KevinYoung said:

Not a fan of this set or really any of The Force awakens.To me they just look half *!# done. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I agree with you to a certain extent because I didn't have the impulse to buy any TFA sets 2 years ago. However, judging this set on its own merits, this is still a good set that was not based on any previous design so I enjoyed the building process. My opinion on this set had also been normalised after playing it with my kid. If I didn't spend time playing with this set, I could have scored it lower. :wink: