Hinckley

10257 Carousel

56 minutes ago, Kjellevirus said:

Okay, thank you. Maybe it changed but I will set my expectations to 1st of June. 

My feeling (based on experience with their press releases) is that they might have one but didn't want to list it on the press release either for production and shipping concerns or for some other marketing reason..

43 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

My feeling (based on experience with their press releases) is that they might have one but didn't want to list it on the press release either for production and shipping concerns or for some other marketing reason..

Yeah that is possible. There's something strange on the shop@home page... First it said coming on the 1st of June and now it says coming soon. So maybe it will release earlier. But we shall see I guess. 

Well, looks like someone got lucky while the rest of us has to wait until closer to June 1st... The video shows the upper mechanism of the Carousel, which functions quite similarly as the older Grand Carousel. We can see that two additional mechanisms can be easily added in the spaces above the swan and the staircase if one so desires.

Looks like time to get a part-time side job if I'm going to even think of keeping up this year. Seriously, we get the 1st Ideas sets to actually get me excited to buy them, more fantastic CMFs, Elves coming out with another amazing wave, the Thor Ragnarok sets, and then this!? The more I see of this set the more it kills me how I will probably never be able to afford it, and that if I could it would be hard to justify spending yet more $$$ on Lego. But still...:wub:

Nice video! (maybe even better than the official one :tongue:) If anybody sees a review or something, please share it here :grin:

Well, I wanted to say how much smoother it is than the original (and it still is) even though it uses a similar mechanism. But I can't tell if it is his hand causing the skip in the spin or if it catches on something while going around.

Either way, thanks for sharing that video. It sheds some light on the inner workings and it is much less involved than the original.

It looks very good.

I saw on the top of the box with the instructions it had some interesting new triangular green plates.

I absolutely love it. The colours, the details: it's all equally great. My only gripe is the inclusion of the torso of the ticketseller. That old spongebob torso needs to retire. It looks off on a regular minifigure. 

Thank you for sharing this video. This set is fantastic and will be a day one purchase for me.

Is there any word on an early VIP access or a promo that`s goes with?

9 hours ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

Thank you for sharing this video. This set is fantastic and will be a day one purchase for me.

Is there any word on an early VIP access or a promo that`s goes with?

About the availability: It seems there is no VIP release but in some countries it will be available on the 22th May. And in other countries it's only available on the 1st of June. I don't understand why there is an difference in the release date? 

On 29/04/2017 at 2:30 AM, gotoAndLego said:

My secret is to put the tile on a larger plate, and put the sticker on the tip of a small knife. Very easy to align them correctly that way.

That's the way i apply the stickers too. It works fine with square tiles, but it's still hard to center on round tiles. Any tips for those stickers to apply on 2x2 round tiles?

33 minutes ago, sebitsena said:

That's the way i apply the stickers too. It works fine with square tiles, but it's still hard to center on round tiles. Any tips for those stickers to apply on 2x2 round tiles?

My best tips is to attach the tile to a square or rectangular plate (so that it's easier to judge the alignment), and to get a feel for the typical margins of stickers on those sorts of parts. It may seem trite, but practice definitely helps. I've gotten a ton of practice with stickering 2x2 round tiles thanks to the Elves sets, which commonly use those for signage.

4 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Position them on the knife so the tip of the blade is centered on the sticker, then touch the knife to the center of the tile.

Thank you very much for this press release, Hinckley! :classic:

I must admit that I'm ambivalent concerning this set:

On the one hand it's really big, is designed very detailed, includes excellently built brick-built animals and there is even a small ticket stall next to it. :thumbup:

On the other hand there are two things I don't like with it: Firstly its size is even a problem - namely this carousel needs extremely much place (nearly a complete huge Lego shipping box) to be stored. And it can't be devided into handsome parts which can be put easily together like it was the case with the Mixxer. Which I dislike even more is that there's no single additional stall included - no candy stall, no shooting gallery, ... Come on, a fairground does not only consist of rides!!! :thumbdown:

Consequently having to pay 180 Euros for "only" a carousel is really a lot of money - imo really too much money. :sceptic:

But nevertheless I'll buy it and am hoping for some stalls for the fairground then in 2018!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter
spelling mistake

27 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for this press release, Hinckley! :classic:

I must admit that I'm ambivalent concerning this set:

On the one hand it's really big, is designed very detailed, includes excellently built brick-built animals and there is even a small ticket stall next to it. :thumbup:

On the other hand there are two things I don't like with it: Firstly its size is even a problem - namely this carousel needs extremely much place (nearly a complete huge Lego shipping box) to be stored. And it can't be devided into handsome parts which can be put easily together like it was the case with the Mixxer. Which I dislike even more is that there's no single additional stall included - no candy stall, no shooting gallery, ... Come on, a fairground does not only consist of rides!!! :thumbdown:

Consequently having to pay 180 Euros for "only" a carousel is really a lot of money - imo really too much money. :sceptic:

But nevertheless I'll buy it and am hoping for some stalls for the fairground then in 2018!

The Mixer was a masterpiece of cleverness as it worked like a real ride to be fold in and out with a lot of stuff around. I would have liked the designers to continue this way too.

I saw a carousel yesterday and it make me think the ticket booth is too small compared to the ride and there are only 7 minifigs in the set. I know i'm going to hate the stickers sheet, the build will be repetitive, and it will be as expensive as the Ferris Wheel (200€ in France) ... but i felt the same before buying the Ferris Wheel and now, i l love it!

So i'm in the same mood as you Klaus: ambivalent, but i will buy it - trying to find it cheaper though ;)

PS: how many rides can we motorize with the same battery box? I tried one box + 2 motors (1 for the Mixer + 1 for the Ferris Wheel) and it worked fine...

7 hours ago, sebitsena said:

PS: how many rides can we motorize with the same battery box? I tried one box + 2 motors (1 for the Mixer + 1 for the Ferris Wheel) and it worked fine...

Plenty. There is a limit somewhere, but not one anyone is going to find with only a few m-motors running. Batteries won't last as long though, of course. You could put an 8869 switch between the 'box and each motor to individually control on/off and direction, and allow the rides to be spread out further.

Thank you for your answer and for your tip about the 8869 switch (i'm not an expert of power functions) ;)

The second video has made me want this even more so .. I've read through this thread to see if anyone has mentioned what I'm about to ask .. I have a feeling that all the animals look 'sad' .. I think it's the type of eye they use .. it works on the swan but it makes all the other animals have this forlorn, saddened look .. any thoughts ? 

Edited by Jarreth2

18 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

The second video has made me want this even more so .. I've read through this thread to see if anyone has mentioned what I'm about to ask .. I have a feeling that all the animals look 'sad' .. I think it's the type of eye they use .. it works on the swan but it makes all the other animals have this forlorn, saddened look .. any thoughts ? 

I don't think it means anything- it's just the way that builder oriented them. Those half-closed eyes could also be rotated to look happy or angry. 

Yeah I guess it's personal choice .. I'm just not keen .. I'm gonna swap them for different eyes 

2 hours ago, Kjellevirus said:

This set is now available for VIP's. So happy shopping! :wink:

Ka-ching! Sweet!