Sign in to follow this  
Sarles

[Stud.io] Micropolis Weekend designs before Brickfair VA 2017

I'm working on a design a week in the micropolis scale and hopefully I will be able to pick one or two models to display this year at Brickfair VA. Please feel free to comment or suggests edits on the designs as I want to put my best foot forward since this will be my first time displaying at a show.

This week I wanted to incorporate the rounds along the top edge of this building and I like the look of the "Wraps" along the front columns and over the roof. I'm not sure about keeping the poles in the back but I didn't have time to really work on that area this weekend.

I like building at this scale because it's not a part's hog and it gives a newer builder more exposure to building techniques with out having the entire build designed  around that technique.

Again please feel free to comment on areas where I can improve. 

34171560986_8303b0389c_b.jpgMicropolis Tower _White by BSarles, on Flickr

Whenever I've built micropolis scale, I tend to keep sidewalks and streets tiled and grass studded, that way it creates some more depth separating the building and the street. Although I would likely have a sidewalk around or a parking lot with this type of building.

It looks very modern, which works well at this scale. I'm not sure about those bars at the back, but the curves on top work well.

Maybe add some other foliage?

Thank you for the feedback TheLegoDr. I'll take a look at those areas. I hadn't thought about using the studs to be the grass area. I'll also have to look into the foliage part.

I like this much better. It adds a lot to the surrounding area.

What do you think?

I'd be tempted to put a reddish brown 1x1 rount plate under the icecream parts to make them look a bit more like trees. Otherwise, very nice as the complex in the last pic.

Thanks MAB. I'll try that out. I'm still learning how do do vegetation and the extra bits. I am happy to get all pointers and critiques.

Here is my latest design I'm considering to build for BrickFair VA. 

This is a data center. I've seen a lot of them popping up in the information corridor of VA. To say the most of the architecture of the buildings is un-inspiring is to make an understatement. Most look like great brutalist  concrete and glass shoe boxes. I haven't done anything to the grounds yet, haven't decided what kind of treatment it should get.

34498455735_8823ee7b1a_h.jpgData Center - Roof Detail Complete by BSarles, on Flickr