Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

Book II, Chal V, Cat C: The King of Historica

Be warned! This is a long story. Maybe read it in chunks, or during a particularly boring work meeting. If you aren't familiar with my past stories, it might help to read some back story on my main character Wyndor, a supporting character Charlemagne, their connection, and Charlemagne's start. Less important is reading up on Budd-apest. If you're not scared away yet, here's my story:

With the death of Pjeter, many things had changed in Dalig Ulv. Wyndor had taken over civic responsibilities and his brothers, Mattimeo in particular, had stepped up to help in any way they could. Mattimeo’s specially trained troops had been particularly helpful in defending against the Algus’ constant attacks against the towns of Mitgardia.

GoH The Mission

When Wyndor received a message from the Sultan of Budd-apest asking for aid, he first thought of some of Mattimeo’s men… or woman as the case was.

33792529670_661ed210e2_s.jpg“Thank you for being willing to go Constance.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Of course, I know we wouldn’t have stopped the Algus if it weren’t for the dragon Charlemagne helped you get. He deserves our help.”

GoH The Mission

33792529670_661ed210e2_s.jpg“Yes, and you know I would go myself if I could. But I can’t leave Dalig Ulv undefended right now. The Algus have grown bolder since that blue beam appeared in the sky and I need to be here in case they try to break through the wall. But there’s more that I need to ask you to do. In addition to trying to find Charlemagne, I want you to see if you can find the King’s son.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg “So the rumors are true?”

33792529670_661ed210e2_s.jpg“They certainly seem to be. The King went missing after the defeat of Revolword, but now his son has returned to claim the throne! Many leaders across Historica have left their homes and the only reason I can think of is that the true Heir has actually returned. But at the same time, the Spire has grown bolder with their ranging parties. You’ll have to travel with just a few men to sneak past them.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Don’t worry, we’re good at stealth. If there are any Spire forces we will avoid them.”

33792529670_661ed210e2_s.jpg“Try to find and save Charlemagne, but also lend aid to the Prince if you can. And take this blade. I had the dwarves line it’s edges with dragon steel. It’s not as effective as a pure dragon forged blade, but if you meet any Algus on your journeys, it should be enough for you to stop them.”

GoH The Mission

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Thank you Wyndor, I will represent Mitgardia well.”

Constance traveled across Mitgardia to the East before heading South towards Budd-apest, on the northern edge of Kaliplin. She arrived and asked for an audience with the Sultan who had sent the original message to Wyndor.

GoH Finding a Friend

34156289686_261785d63d_s.jpg“Thank you for coming.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Of course, the relationship between our two cities is something we value. If someone has acted against one of your top citizens, then they have acted against Dalig Ulv! Do you know where he was last seen?”

34156289686_261785d63d_s.jpg“Unfortunately I do. Some of the Spires enforcers were trying to win him over to their cause right before his disappearance. We’ve done some reconnaissance and now know that their base of operations is in Nocturnus, just on the other side of the Kelra Labyrinths”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“I’ve heard some nasty things about the Labyrinths, but I’ll do whatever I need to. Now, I also needed to ask a favor of you. Wyndor has heard that the Prince has been found. Do you know anything about his possible whereabouts?”

GoH Finding a Friend

34156289686_261785d63d_s.jpg“Ah, fortune may be smiling on your after all. We have had many travelers pass through Budd-apest these days, and all of them have been heading to the Labyrinths. It seems that the Prince has worked out some way through the Labyrinths and is preparing to strike against the Spire. Perhaps you’ll find both Charlemagne and the Prince there. Though I must let you know that my loyalties are to the true King, the Desert King.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“I’m sure the Desert King will welcome Cedric’s heir. The Desert King has done the land a great favor in driving out those Ulandian usurpers and will be a welcome leader to the faction of Kaliphlin. It’s not as if the Desert King would want to rule the other factions as well, right?”

34156289686_261785d63d_s.jpg“Let us hope that all is as you say, I don’t think any of us would welcome another war any time soon.”

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

Constance set out from Budd-apest and made her way north through the Rakath Mountains towards the Kelra Labyrinths. As she and her men descended from the mountain pass through a forest of bone trees, a rabbit hopped onto the path.

GoH Bone Tree Forest

33354467734_4dd5282d66_s.jpg“Are you A.L.I.C.E.?”

GoH Bone Tree Forest

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Wait, did that rabbit just talk?”

GoH Bone Tree Forest

33354467734_4dd5282d66_s.jpg“I’m not just a rabbit, I’m the appointed spokesperson and I need to know, are you A.L.I.C.E.?”

GoH Bone Tree Forest

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“You’ll have to forgive my friend here. He wants to know if you are part of the Allies Looking to Impede Creatures of Evil. A.L.I.C.E. for short.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Does that mean you are against Raavage?” she asked while readying her sword. 

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“Yes, we have long resisted his rule and now that the true king has been found we have someone to rally behind. Now, are you A.L.I.C.E.?”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Well, my name is Constance, but yes. My men and I are here to find the Prince.”

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“Excellent, the main force has already gone ahead. My friend here insisted on one last sweep before going to join them. We must move quickly before the battle begins.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Battle?”

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“Have you not heard? Prince Alexander has returned! He has gathered a force to be reckoned with and each day more flock to his banner. But we can talk more on the road. We must move with haste if we are to be of any help in this final battle.”

Constance, her band, and the members of A.L.I.C.E. made their way toward the Kelra Labyrinths.

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“Let us pass, sir.”

33792529410_dde9cfdeff_s.jpg“Just because Prince Alexander has struck a deal with Lord Ssilyrrlith to allow him to rule Nocturnus after Raavage is defeated doesn’t mean you get to boss me around.”

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“Please Reptrian, we are in a great hurry. Let us pass.”

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

33792529410_dde9cfdeff_s.jpg“We labyrinth keepers gain nothing by allowing you to pass freely. It’s not fair that you Minotaurs keep leading them through the maze so quickly. We need prey! At least Kyran gave us fresh meat.”

Recognizing that name after talking with the Sultan, Constance spoke up.

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Wait, you said the vampire, Kyran, has sent people here?”

33792529410_dde9cfdeff_s.jpg“Maybe…” the Reptrian admitted reluctantly.

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Have you seen a half-Leander by the name of Charlemagne?”

33792529410_dde9cfdeff_s.jpg“We don’t name our prey lady. No need to get attached to what you are about to eat right?”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Just answer the question!”

33792529410_dde9cfdeff_s.jpg“Alright, we did have a few Leanders running around the maze, but most managed to escape our clutches. I think one is still deep in the labyrinth, but I can’t make any promises. And if we catch him, we aren’t giving him back!”

33792529580_315f5fd702_s.jpg“You’ve done enough stalling Reptrian. Let us pass.”

And so they entered the Labyrinth.

Although Prince Alexander had worked out a deal to allow his forces to pass through without interference from the Reptrians, that didn’t stop the rest of the monsters that inhabited the labyrinth from trying to kill Constance and her companions.

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

Thankfully, all in their group were skilled fighters and they were able ward off all attacks.

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

Constance knew that meeting up with the Prince meant they had no time to spare, but she couldn’t help but look around corners and down alternate routes every chance she could. It was by doing this that she heard a groan coming from one of the dead ends that frequented the maze. She rushed to see what creature needed aid, much to the chagrin of the Minotaur leading them.

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

Favor was on her side as she realized that against all odds, she had found Charlemagne!

33792528040_0fca04b2b6_s.jpg“Back you devils! I won’t let you take me!”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Charlemagne, it’s okay. We’re friends. I come on behalf of Wyndor and your Sultan.”

GoH Kelra Labyrinths

33792529270_9b277fc5da_s.jpg“Oh thank goodness! I’ve been fighting off monsters for longer than I can remember. Can you help me get out of here?”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Yes, but we must hurry!”

On their way out of the labyrinth, Constance explained to Charlemagne about the Prince’s return. She also comforted him with the knowledge that the Reptrian knew that a number of Leanders had escaped the labyrinth and that his wife and friends were most likely safe.

GoH The Speech

Soon after exiting the labyrinth they came upon the Prince’s camp. There was indeed an impressive host of people from all four guilds gathered there. There was a commotion happening on the far end of the camp, so Constance and her companions made their way over there.

GoH The Speech

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“As many of you have heard, my father the King, is dead.”

It seemed the Prince was just getting underway in explaining what was happening. Constance listened closer.

GoH The Speech

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“After Revelword attacked the capital, my father was grievously wounded. We fled the Valyrian forces and made for the coast. My father had heard tell of a great healer who may be able to restore him. We sailed for many days before coming aground on an island. As fortune would have it, it was the very island where this healer lived. He worked for many days to save the King and was able to prolong his life. However, he never regained enough strength to make the return journey. He died three fortnights ago. Before he passed he made me promise to return to our home and re-take the throne.”

GoH The Speech

At this there was much cheering from the crowd.

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Now we have gathered to defeat Raavage and stop him from finding the Necromancers Helm. Rest up tonight, for tomorrow we attack!”

GoH The Speech

The rest of the day was spent planning. Prince Alexander summoned many of the faction leaders to his tent to give them their orders. Constance was surprised when a courier asked her to join one of these meetings.

GoH The Plan

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Thank you Constance, for joining us. Charlemagne and Glorfindel have spoken very highly of you and they have recommended you for this mission.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Thank you sire, I would be honored to serve you.”

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Excellent, now as I was saying, if we are going to stop Raavage from getting the Necromancers Helm, we will need to get a small force over the river.”

He indicated the river that stood between us and Raavage main host.

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Our spies tell me that Raavage believes he has located the Helm and will retrieve it tomorrow. We will send out main forces against his army tomorrow at dawn. Meanwhile, a few of us sneak across the river tonight and prepare to ambush Raavage before he can get the Helm.”

Just then, the Desert King himself walked into the tent.

GoH The Plan

34046145521_b6df4abfca_s.jpg“Majesty.”

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Sire, thank you for coming. I was surprised to hear that you came yourself when I asked for forces from you, but I am honored that you have chosen to fight beside me.”

34046145521_b6df4abfca_s.jpg“You are the King, it is only right that I should fight by your side. And I can think of no greater responsibility than to help protect you as we strike Raavage personally.”

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“And I’m sure having a chance to avenge Kaliphlin by killing any Ulandians who might be there doesn’t hurt.”

GoH The Plan

34046145521_b6df4abfca_s.jpg“Yes,” he said with a glint in his eye. “It was a blow to find out Ulandus had sided with the traitor Raavage. But revenge is not why I am here. Though I will not hesitate to strike down any of the usurpers if they stand in my way.”

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Alright, let’s go over the plan one more time and then we must get across the river.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

As morning dawned, the forces of Raavage lined up on one side of the river opposite the forces of Prince Alexander. There was much rustling as both sides waited to see who would strike first. Finally someone yelled “For Historica!” and the rush across the bridge began.

GoH Battle of the Bridge

GoH Battle of the Bridge

The armies of Raavage hurried to annihilate the free peoples of the four guilds.

GoH Battle of the Bridge

The fight to decide who would rule had begun.

GoH Battle of the Bridge

GoH Battle of the Bridge

Meanwhile, deeper into Nocturnus territory Prince Alexander and his small band were approaching a graveyard. It was there that Raavage had discovered the location of the Necromancer’s Helm.

GoH The Necromancer's Helm

33366731124_2f3bde74df_s.jpg“Guard the yard. Now that I’ve broken the enchantments on the tomb, it shouldn’t be long before I return with the helm. Let no one enter!”

Raavage’s minions, a leader of the Algus, the Drow, Ulandus, and the vampire forces allied with the Spire set about securing the perimeter. As Raavage entered the crypt Prince Alexander struck.

The battle was swift. Although each of Raavage’s men were skilled fighters, they were surprised and outnumbered. In a matter of minutes they all lay dead, scattered across the graveyard.

33792527830_a65286b60a_s.jpg“Huzzah! We’ve struck a great blow against our enemy, but quickly, we must not let Raavage get the Helm!”

Just then, Raavage exited with the Necromancer’s Helm. He was so blind with greed that he didn’t even look around the Helm to see who was there to greet him.

Alexander leapt forward and with a decisive blow, ended the life of the tyrant Raavage.

The Prince turned as all present cheered. The war was over! The Necromancer’s Helm had been kept from the clutches of those wishing to use it for evil!

But then, the unthinkable happened. The Desert King turned on the Prince and stabbed him. Gasps of shock were heard all across the graveyard.

33792528270_31a1b3b301_s.jpg“Now, I shall claim my rightful throne! My kingdom of old spanned from shore to shore, now it shall again!” He placed the Necromancer’s Helm on his head.

33792528610_dcaaa1f5b5_s.jpg“No!” cried Osric. “I fought for you, how could betray us like this?”

33792528040_0fca04b2b6_s.jpg“Sire!” cried Charlemagne, “You didn’t have to do this, Kaliplin would have forever been yours! Why did you kill the Prince?”

33792528270_31a1b3b301_s.jpg“There is no other ruler except for I! I am immortal. Everyone else who claims a throne across Historica is only a usurper and a rebel. I am the rightful ruler. All shall bow to me!”

34046146011_2038472973_s.jpg“You will never convince the peoples to follow you!”

34046145891_b13e4d3005_s.jpg"You will pay!"

33792529130_91acb0339f_s.jpg“Hasn’t this day proved to you that the free peoples will stop at nothing to remain so?”

33792528270_31a1b3b301_s.jpg“No one will be able to stop me.”

And with that the Desert King muttered under his breath and the fallen Prince rose again. But he was no longer a healthy human being. He has a mindless zombie, now under the control of the Desert King.

34046145691_d865c0c1eb_s.jpg“Grrrr!”

33792528270_31a1b3b301_s.jpg“You see, I will turn everyone you’ve ever lost against you. I will raise an army that can never die! No one will be able to resist me. But take solace in this. After the rebels have been dealt with, the land will know my mercy. I am a sympathetic king when my people submit to my rule.”

33792529740_e45bf02d59_s.jpg“Are we all to become your mindless puppets today?”

33792528270_31a1b3b301_s.jpg“No. I will allow you all to live. Take this news back to your lands. Let them know that anyone who accepts my rule will be welcome by my side. All others should fear for their life or flee this land.”

And from that day on, the four guilds were ruled by the Desert King, Ark’Mora Raa.

GoH The Desert King Ark Mora Raa

GoH The Desert King Ark Mora Raa

Some very nice builds you've got there! My favoured part must be the Skeleton-trees, though it's hard to choose. :wink: 

The story is also very cool, I defenitely did not see that plot-twist coming! That being said, Avalonia will not bow to some Kaliphlin mummy :tongue: 

Excellent! I like all of the different builds you have there, and they are used to good effect to tell your story. Like Titus, I was surprised by the twist at the end, and see that you have set things in Book III up for continued warfare. My favorite build is probably the bone-tree forest, as the trees are nice and I love the irregular, but still formal, base with all the curves. 

And eesh! The competition is stiff! I hope my story can match this.

Excellent work on both the story and accompanying builds :thumbup: The carpet, and use of brick bricks for the floor of the throne room are very clever, and your switching between micro labyrinth and full size works well :classic:

Fantastic entry with a great story (I especially love the twist at the end) and masterfully illustrated! For this kind of story your approach with all those small builds worked very well :classic:

awesome story and very nice set of builds! for some reasons I particularly like the bridge as well as the tent where the planning takes place. not sure if I'd like to be ruled by the Desert King :wink: , but hey awesome (and big!) job overall - well done! ^^ :thumbup:

I'm reading through this in pieces, but I wanted to atleast comment on the collection of builds that you have put together. I see we had similar ideas with the bone tree, though you brought it to life more than I did. Great work!

Nice set of builds there. My favorite would probably be the labyrinth, but like Titus said, it's rather hard to choose. I like all the techniques used in all the builds. That being said, Avalonia is not going to swear allegiance to some Kaliphlin who can't even unite the people in his own guild. :devil:

Edited by Brandon Stark

The story is quite compelling!  I like how the builds take the reader through different areas.  You get a sense of place by the general color palette and look of each build.  Amusingly, I got images of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" in my head when I saw the groups of minis lined up on the forest path near the camp.  :-)  Well done!

Excellent series of builds, Josh! They really illustrate the story nicely. The skeleton trees scene is definitely one of my favorites, the colors are superb, as is the base design.
I also quite like the graveyard, with the various tomb designs and fabulous building. :thumbup: