Sign in to follow this  
DrJB

Missing Slopes

I visited a Lego exhibit at the Chicago MSI (Museum of Science and Industry) few days back and there, they have a huge display of the pyramids of Giza. 

Since then, I've been collecting pieces to replicate a smaller version of this build, but also wanted to build 'roofs/pyramids' of various angles. Now, there are few lego parts (slopes) to achieve this, namely, the 1-stud height

Part No: 3040  Name: Slope 45 2 x 1Part No: 3039  Name: Slope 45 2 x 2 Part No: 3045  Name: Slope 45 2 x 2 Double Convex

For 2-stud height, these slopes are available

Part No: 60481  Name: Slope 65 2 x 1 x 2Part No: 3678b  Name: Slope 65 2 x 2 x 2 with Bottom Tube   ?

For 3-stud height, these slopes are also available

Part No: 4460a  Name: Slope 75 2 x 1 x 3 - Completely Open Stud Part No: 3684  Name: Slope 75 2 x 2 x 3Part No: 3685  Name: Slope 75 2 x 2 x 3 Double Convex

Do you see the pattern? Better yet, it seems Lego never released a corner slope with a 2-stud height. Such piece exists in both single and triple stud height, but not in 2-stud height ...

They do have the 'quadruple' slope in 2-stud height, but that piece is not usable for corners.

Any thoughts/comments or if we'll ever see such part in 'nice/useful' colors?

Edited by DrJB

So I was right then ... those parts are not only reserved to the lucky few :classic:, but also not available to the general public :sceptic: :sceptic: :sceptic: 

Pretty sure that TLG have made ALL the slopes we crave for, but somehow decided not to use them in any sets at ALL. (But the LEGOland builders get what they want)

Why? We'll never know

Such is the inner workings of TLG. Mysterious and unpredictable

Mere peasants like me my finding nuggets in the dirt, thus to much excitement in the community, but none of it compares to the joy of picking up a 1986 CS set in .. 1986

Cheers,

Ole

Ole, I love to look at your prototypes....   :classic:

The one (in my opinion) that would be the most useful would be the 2x2x3 78 degree concave corner slope.  would make some great Mansard roofs.

Not only desn't TLG compete "systems" that would be useful when used together... but they don't have them in matching color combinations.  Such as the 3x3 33 degree slope double convex corner that they used for the first time in the Robie House architectural set.  They don't make them in colors that are useful with other bricks of that type.  TLG got away from their "System" back around 1998 when the LEGO color explosion started....

4 hours ago, LEGO Historian said:

... would make some great Mansard roofs ...

That's exactly what I wanted to build ... when I realized that many slopes are not available, and started this thread.

I wish Lego would completely redesign all of their slopes. Like, Kre-o ones, you can chain them perfectly. It only requires them all to start over a full plate.

On 25/4/2017 at 6:23 AM, DrJB said:

That's exactly what I wanted to build ... when I realized that many slopes are not available, and started this thread.

And that's what I want to build too! But while I may have the coolest slope, I only have ONE. Pretty hard to do anything mansard type of roof with that

It annoys me a great deal that TLG never finishes of a theme of parts in a particular colour :thumbdown:

TLG have produced a boatload of crap parts that was never used in more than one set, but basic parts like this don't seem to see the day

So much for "SYSTEM", eh? ...

(I'll bet a particular guy is rolling in his grave (and it could be both from grief and amazement of the AFOL culture and/or "TLG"))

I WANT my missing slopes, darn it!

Cheers,

Ole

I share your frustration ... wholeheartedly. As I said in my original post, my interest in slopes stemmed from a recent visit to a museum exhibit here in Chicago (Museum of Science & Industry). There, there were huge gisplays of iconic landmarks, such as the Golden Gate Bridge (in San Francisco) and the Egyptian pyramids. I decided to come home and buy the parts to build a smaller version of the pyramid. To my disappointment, the corner 2x2 slope is extremely rare in tan, and the cheapest I found on BL was $2.00 ... really ludicrous. The museum exhibit must have been a very special order. Some photos are below. Since then, I started looking even closer at all available slopes, and none of them exist in all the same color ... this is really really disappointing from TLG.

dsc_0884s.jpg

dsc_0875s.jpg

Edited by Milan
Removed big images. Please reupload them in allowed size.

Nice find G.istok! I have never seen those slopes until now. Lego could have been a lot different if these slopes were released and are still released in the modern day.

On 27/04/2017 at 4:33 AM, DrJB said:

I decided to come home and buy the parts to build a smaller version of the pyramid. To my disappointment, the corner 2x2 slope is extremely rare in tan, and the cheapest I found on BL was $2.00 ... really ludicrous. The museum exhibit must have been a very special order.

Good news, if you were to build those pyramids as they are today, you'd just stack up bricks in tan. But if you wanna show them smooth like they used to be, then you don't want tan, you want white. They really were covered in shiny white limestone.

but that's not lego, it is like saying that parts exist because megablocks do them

16 hours ago, antp said:

but that's not lego, it is like saying that parts exist because megablocks do them

But Lego -has- made them..

To me the beauty & challenge is in doing things with limitations. Here, the limitations should be "legal builds using parts from Lego's history". Within those limitations, whether the actual parts are (digital or) from Lego or not, does it really matter? It's not gonna show on your pictures, the only difference between those will be the price, and I don't think that money should be a deciding factor in this form of "art".

One slope I had always wanted was the 2x2 (45 degree) outside corner (convex) slope in trans-clear.... I always wanted to use them with the bazillion regular 2x2 trans-clear slopes I had.... and when I heard that TLG was going to put out an architectural set of part of the Louvre Museum with Le Pyramid in clear... I was momentarily excited that they would create the outside corner in trans-clear.  But for some odd reason TLG decided to go with a "weird build technique" that wasn't as smooth as just using 45 degree trans-clear slopes....

TLG... the dream crusher!!  :sceptic: