Kai NRG

Forestman's Cottage

Even the men of the merry green woods like a roof to get under every now and then! 

33284080514_d7991481cd.jpg

To be honest, this is actually a cottage that I built for a different MOC, but it was a little buried behind everything so I decided to give it it's own base!

33284087214_d421d06579.jpg

33741691900_0b9b1d2029.jpg

This is actually the second time I've used that technique for the tile wall... the first time is unpublished as yet.  This time, however, I honed in on it considerably.  Most of you experienced LEGO builders can see how it's done without even looking twice I'm sure, but for anyone else, or if you're just interested in seeing the process, you can check out a breakdown of the cottage here!

It's been way too long since I've posted a build here... I've had a couple on my to-build list for quite a while but unfortunately that list just seems to keep getting longer and longer! :grin:  But at least I managed to pull off something!

Comments and critiques are appreciated!

Very nice build! I am one of those less experienced builders and I am def gonna use this technique! I like that roof! I love the colors and it looks really medievalish. 

That wall texture is great, and I like the way you've used the cheese slopes to meet tiles on the roof. Definitely some nice techniques to try out sometime!

Nice cottage.  I like the roof and the texturing of the walls.  I think the light blue is and interesting color choice.  I also like the landscaping and the vine on the cottage.  Great job. 

This is like something out of s fairy tail!! The colours are perfect in this situation and the techinques used are brilliant. A forest man belongs in a place like this :thumbup:

I like it and it does give me some fairyland vibes. I am much interested in the building techniques which you have shared and those are some insightful thoughts. 

Neat build Kai! Some intresting techniques here, especially these tiles work well I think! :thumbup: 

Very nice build, Kai!  As I said on flickr, the color-scheme works great, and those vines are excellent as well!  I think the house probably sits better here than in the original build, too, and that fig is really cool! :wink:

On 4/20/2017 at 1:12 PM, Servertijd said:

Very nice build! I am one of those less experienced builders and I am def gonna use this technique! I like that roof! I love the colors and it looks really medievalish. 

I'm glad you found it useful! :classic:  That kind of roof is really nice as it looks good and is fairly simple and not too parts consuming, which is always a plus!

On 4/21/2017 at 0:01 AM, zoth33 said:

Nice cottage.  I like the roof and the texturing of the walls.  I think the light blue is and interesting color choice.  I also like the landscaping and the vine on the cottage.  Great job. 

Thank you!  Light pastel colors are some of my favorite choices for cottage style walls - I think it brings in something of a fairytale setting.  And of course vines are a must!

23 hours ago, The Maestro said:

This is like something out of s fairy tail!! The colours are perfect in this situation and the techinques used are brilliant. A forest man belongs in a place like this :thumbup:

Thanks Maestro!

13 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

I like it and it does give me some fairyland vibes. I am much interested in the building techniques which you have shared and those are some insightful thoughts. 

Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

10 hours ago, TitusV said:

Neat build Kai! Some intresting techniques here, especially these tiles work well I think! :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus!  The really neat thing about that technique is that it doesn't require too many specialized parts and gives you an opportunity to make good use of your basic bricks!

6 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Very nice build, Kai!  As I said on flickr, the color-scheme works great, and those vines are excellent as well!  I think the house probably sits better here than in the original build, too, and that fig is really cool! :wink:

Thank you Garmadon!  I'll agree with you about the minifigure... that's such a nice torso!!

I like the house and the techniques, though I am not a huge fan of the bright blue color for a forestman's cottage; a house in Nottingham village, perhaps, not not one out in the forest itself. That's just my preference, and there is not a whole lot of scenic context for the build here to know where it is situated. I think a row of these in a village would be spectacular, though!

On 4/24/2017 at 4:48 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the house and the techniques, though I am not a huge fan of the bright blue color for a forestman's cottage; a house in Nottingham village, perhaps, not not one out in the forest itself. That's just my preference, and there is not a whole lot of scenic context for the build here to know where it is situated. I think a row of these in a village would be spectacular, though!

You have a point about the bright blue... and TBH, I'm not exactly sure what kind of scenic context this house would have anyways!  There's a good deal of grass there, but I really couldn't see it too far away from the next human habitation...

Thanks!

Quite a pretty house :thumbup: The bright colors give a very lively look, and the tile wall technique is a nifty design :classic:

On 4/28/2017 at 4:14 PM, Blufiji said:

A Very nice and colorful build.

Thanks Blufiji!

On 5/1/2017 at 8:57 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Quite a pretty house :thumbup: The bright colors give a very lively look, and the tile wall technique is a nifty design :classic:

Thank you!

Nice build!  I like the sideways tiles in the middle, and really appreciate how you linked to the building so we can all learn new techniques and think about our builds in different ways. 

Very nice cottage, Kai! The bright colorscheme looks great, and that tiling technique is very simple but very effective as well! :thumbup:
I do think a little bit of overhang or gables on the roof would've looked nice, as right now it's almost a square box all the way up. Excellent work overall though :classic:

On 2017-5-10 at 1:38 AM, Grover said:

Nice build!  I like the sideways tiles in the middle, and really appreciate how you linked to the building so we can all learn new techniques and think about our builds in different ways. 

Thanks Grover!

2 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Very nice cottage, Kai! The bright colorscheme looks great, and that tiling technique is very simple but very effective as well! :thumbup:
I do think a little bit of overhang or gables on the roof would've looked nice, as right now it's almost a square box all the way up. Excellent work overall though :classic:

Thank you!  Good point there.  The top especially is pretty flat.  I always find getting the roof to merge well into the walls to be about the hardest part of buildings!