This is my second post on the EuroBricks community and another question asking for as much help as I can get to master the art of the technic gearbox. Like I said in my previous post, for my Lexus GX EV3 4x4 SUV, I tried my best to use Sariel's 4-speed sequential and it ultimately failed on me.

Quoting one of my replies...

I'm asking for an .LDD file or something of a working 4-speed sequential gearbox that can shift gears with a motor while the car is moving. I want this gearbox to make the car go pretty fast at last gear, but really torque-y at first gear for climbing hills. It needs to also have a white clutch gear that prevents clicking/grinding and so the motors can still move the car while another motor shifts the gears (by using an EV3 program where pressing a button switches to the next gear). If you have the time to create a gearbox like this in Lego Digital Designer for me, I would be very happy and excited to try it.

I would be relieved if I could finally finish this creation after five months of difficulty.

Here are some pictures of the entire chassis. I said before that the issues with this was that the gears clicked a ridiculous amount at the highest gears which stopped the car from moving. (Hence the reason why the transmission I want needs to have a clutch gear to absorb the large amount of torque)

05HiQoW.jpg

B6NgKig.jpg

wwKGI9I.jpg

QLBFqLg.jpg

OgVWiYJ.jpg

My advice is to reinforce the transmission as much as possible because that part of the chassis is flimsy from what I can tell. As well, play around with gear ratios which provide more torque. Good luck! 

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic
added... stuff.

It's difficult to get gear ratios other than 1:1,1:1.667, 1:3 and 1:5 (I have made a closer-ratio 4-speed box but it's more complex). Make sure you reinforce the gearbox strongly - both sides of each gear should have a beam securing the axle. As a last resort, gear up before the transmission and gear down afterwards. This will reduce efficiency but reduce the amount of torque the gearbox has to deal with, meaning less gear clicking.

@TheMindGarage That's a great idea! But should I still use Sariel's 4-speed except modify it a little bit more? While building some gearbox prototypes I was inspired by the one you used for your DRAG RAC3R (except I don't really need neutral) that was similar to Sariel's. I'll get back to work on the GX EV3 soon! I want to see if I could publish it in time for your community challenge (although it's an SUV, not a supercar).

On 20/04/2017 at 6:43 PM, StudRobotics said:

@TheMindGarage That's a great idea! But should I still use Sariel's 4-speed except modify it a little bit more? While building some gearbox prototypes I was inspired by the one you used for your DRAG RAC3R (except I don't really need neutral) that was similar to Sariel's. I'll get back to work on the GX EV3 soon! I want to see if I could publish it in time for your community challenge (although it's an SUV, not a supercar).

You mean MUSCL3 CAR? The 4-speed is very similar to that used in Sariel's 4-speed. The main difference is the structure - whereas in Sariel's version some gears are on the outside, in my version all the gears are supported on both sides, meaning my version handles more torque.

The Community Challenge on the MINDSTORMS Gallery? Since it might become an official one, I haven't published a set finish date. If it doesn't become official, I will make a separate post on the Gallery stating the finish date. It should be ready for then.