kbalage

[MOC] The quest for the ultimate 42065 RC Tracked Racer

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you my first longer blog post and my first filming attempt :) I got the 42065 RC Tracked racer some months ago and I really like the set, I think it has great potential to open the world of Technic RC vehicles for the kids. Obviously I also wanted to see how much power can be squeezed into this little body, so I got my buggy motors, BuWizz and Sbrick units and started to build some new versions :) I tried to stick to the original structure as much as possible, the base of the 4 buggy motor version had to be stretched a bit to have place for all components.

You can find the video here:

And the full blog post with the details:

http://racingbrick.com/2017/04/ultimate-42065-rc-tracked-racer/

Please share your comments and improvement ideas, as I said this is my very first attempt creating a video or publishing content so any feedback is more than welcome :)

The Models

Good job on the builds, I've built a few versions myself and found the large motors to perform very well- don't own buggy motors and didn't feel as if the XL's were worth doing but I may well give them a whirl now.

The Video

Good production standard overall, nicely timed edits combined with a range of shots compliment a well focused and shot video. 

I especially liked the line up shot with all the models for comparison, very good piece of editing there and well worth the effort from a viewers perspective.

Liked the video and subscribed to channel.

@Joefraser Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated! With the XLs you'll get great climbing abilities, even with the PF battery box. 

Wow, very well executed comparison, with lot of variations. Great video editing, nice background music (not too harsh, just to improve the experience), love it!

Hat off for the effort, You spent on. :thumbup:

Lovely!!! Liked but the MODs and the video. I have both the set and the buwizz, now I totally need to get my hands on a better motor than the stock one :)

PS: what music is the second one? Shazam is failing to identify it but as a metal lover myself I'd like to get it.

Luca

Well this series of experiment and the collected data would be enough for a PhD on the subject. :sweet: Both the project and the video is well done. (you've got a new sub here) Personally I came to the same conclusion when I've built my ripsaw about a year ago. Less weight means more than additional power. Not surprisingly the recipe of speed was the same: 2 buggy motors, sbrick and lipo (buwizz didn't exist yet). Great topic, thanks for sharing it. And an additional :thumbup: for the twist on your name (balage) :laugh:

Great comparison - really appreciate the amount of work, thank you.

Can you please show some detailed pictures of the construction of the version "2x buggy motor + buwizz"?

I could not get mine to look halfway decent... 

again, many thanks!

Thank you very much everyone for the nice feedback! 

@dellock6 - the music is from the Youtube audio library, it is "Thor's hammer" from Ethan Meixsell - you can download it here

@davebarrett - I actually tried gearing down the XL motor to have more torque for the climbing tests, but it did not make any difference. I think gearing it up would not make it significantly faster than the M motor version, or do you have a different experience?

@Attika - I also tried a 2 buggy + lipo + sbrick combination, but the apparently the lipo battery was not able to feed properly the buggy motors, the setup had some issues. 

@DoomedACE - this was asked by others as well, I'll publish another post this afternoon with detailed pictures and I'll let you know here.

Great work. Good to know that the XL motors do not help with the speed.

Have you considered making the Racer 2 studs wider to accomodate 4 M motors? Do you believe this would help with speed and climbing? 

Thank you, that was interesting experience.

I also did some researches....

FlwmJxIJlMw.jpg

And came to this...

17596357_352155295180255_215727732019114

Edited by rm8

@Qukie - I didn't try that version as I wanted to stick to the original proportions as close as possible, but I might give it a try to compare with the 2 motor version. I don't think 4 M motors would add much speed, probably they'd help with the climbing abilities.

@rm8 - that's a really cool one :) I saw your video with the BuWizz-equipped racer in the snow, do you plan to make a video with this version as well?

Just now, kbalage said:

@rm8 - that's a really cool one :) I saw your video with the BuWizz-equipped racer in the snow, do you plan to make a video with this version as well?

yesss! Video is filmed. Absolutely crazy thing) Need some time to edit and share it.

Edited by rm8

Speaking about quest, does anone have a possibility to test wit PF train motors? Just wondering, despite the low torque, it has even higher rpm (1900 rpm) than the RC motor (1700 rpm) - probably with the tracks they could also deliver tasty drifting pleasure. Source: http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

rpf-train.jpg

Edited by agrof

45 minutes ago, agrof said:

Speaking about quest, does anone have a possibility to test wit PF train motors? Just wondering, despite the low torque, it has even higher rpm (1900 rpm) than the RC motor (1700 rpm) - probably with the tracks they could also deliver tasty drifting pleasure. Source: http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

rpf-train.jpg

Cool idea, I just salvaged two of these from my son's trains so I'll test it tomorrow, will be a fairly easy build :)

@agrof I couldn't resist and quickly built it :) For the first sight it is pretty fast but not as fast as the buggy motors. Will compare tomorrow in details.

8 hours ago, kbalage said:

@davebarrett - I actually tried gearing down the XL motor to have more torque for the climbing tests, but it did not make any difference. I think gearing it up would not make it significantly faster than the M motor version, or do you have a different experience?

I'm hoping to gear up four hard-coupled XL motors to see what speed I can get out of it—once I get a chance to get back to building. New baby imminent, so that won't be for a while!

Great video, lot's of info, but i have very noob question. Can i use XL and M-motor on the same track? With no gears included. Will IT give any more performance? Can IT damage Motors/sbrick?

@davebarrett Let me know if you'll be able to test, I expect the 4 XL motors to add too much weight together. Based on my tests the 4 buggy motors were slower altogether than the 2 buggy version despite the extra power. And the buggy motor weights less than the XL motor. I think the idea suggested by @agrof could be better, to use the PF train motors. Best would be to use 4 of them, I only have two to test now :)

@Alias83PL - The rotation speed of the M motor is almost the double of the XL motor, I think you should not use them connected to the same track.

I tested the PF train version with two motors, you can check the images on the blog: http://racingbrick.com/2017/04/42065-rc-tracked-racer-2-pf-train-motors/

Bottom line - PF Train motors are good for speed, not as quick as the buggy motors but 4 of them might even be able to beat them. They are definitely not the proper choice for climbing, they start to slip quickly.

Edited by kbalage
image quota clarified :)

Thanks for all your work on this!  I would really like to build the 2 buggy motors version with Buwizz battery option.  I will try and work with the pics you posted.  Any chance of instructions?

I know room is limited but did you try using the RF battery box for the buggy motors instead of buwizz?

@technic_addict by RF battery box, you mean this one? It's really bulky and weights almost a ton, it would ruin the performance. I didn't plan to make instructions as the structure is not that complicated, let me know if you cannot replicate based on the pictures and I can make some more of the assembly steps if that helps.