Chilly

Post Count or Number

Is there a way for you to add a number to each post in a thread?  Another forum I use looks very similar to this in format, but each post has a number.  It is very useful in a thread of many pages to refer back to a particular post, for example "see my explanation in post #45 in this thread".  Particularly useful when you are on page 27!

Thanks

I don't think the posts are numbered sequentially within a thread, but each post does have a unique ID and you can link to it directly.  That is, rather than saying "See post #47" you can say "See my earlier post here [link]."

If you click the little "share" icon at the top right corner of any post, you can copy the URL to that specific post from there.  And, honestly, I think that's more useful in a huge thread since I'd rather link to the specific comment that someone was referencing rather than clicking back a several pages manually and scanning down the page.

That's actually a feature that we used to have. I wish they would bring it back, as getting rid of it in the first place made no sense.

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

That's actually a feature that we used to have. I wish they would bring it back, as getting rid of it in the first place made no sense.

Agree. I liked that

5 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

I guess I missed that back then... so must not have really needed it at the time.  But I agree, if it's a simple matter of clicking a box in the forum settings it could be interesting to see and might be useful in some circumstances as noted above.

Of course, I occasionally still go to the old Lugnet forums and then quickly remember how good we have it here.  :laugh:

21 hours ago, deraven said:

I don't think the posts are numbered sequentially within a thread, but each post does have a unique ID and you can link to it directly.  That is, rather than saying "See post #47" you can say "See my earlier post here [link]."

If you click the little "share" icon at the top right corner of any post, you can copy the URL to that specific post from there.  And, honestly, I think that's more useful in a huge thread since I'd rather link to the specific comment that someone was referencing rather than clicking back a several pages manually and scanning down the page.

BTW, clicking on the "Posted XX hours ago" right above the post gives you the exact location of that post :classic: You can copy that link target with right mouse button as well (if you're using a more modern browser than IE 5.0, that is).