33676623830_1e0cbda2f3_c.jpg

When I heard Eurobricks was holding a contest to build combat robots, I knew I had to join and give it a shot. This is my attempt, THUMPER - a completely Power Functions-driven bot with a spinning disc capable of approximately 1500 revolutions per minute.

I was originally going to build a version of the BattleBots competitor HyperShock and call it HyperSuck, but eventually I decided on two wheels rather than four, and the rest of the build grew from there. Unfortunately I have a serious lack of Technic panels, so the armour mostly comprises of Bionicle parts.

34082898765_084cb672fd_c.jpg

34042672696_675e4b1aac_c.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

I love the character that the Bionicle pieces give this bot. One of my favorite entries so far solely on aesthetics, nice work :classic:

This bot is awesome, really good work, I only think that the disk is too light to be effective at 1500rpm and maybe too off the ground to catch the most wedge shaped bots, but do you have lxf file of that? I think I may be able to build it and make a real fight (I only lack bionicle parts and the xl motor, but I may found some)

Of all the entries, Thumper might look the most like a real BattleBot with the bionicle pieces (together with the red-and-lime one that looked a bit similar). I'm glad you ran out of panels, because otherwise your bot may have looked similar to many others. Now, it's different, and I like that. Also, I like how small it is.

But yes, the weapon may not reach far enough, and the bot's own "nose" looks to be in the way. I really think yhou should have placed it at least 5 or so studs forward. Remember - the weapon should be the first thing that an enemy hits :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm new to Eurobricks and I was wondering if the Techic community here might disapprove of Bionicle parts - glad to see I was wrong!

8 hours ago, PKW said:

This bot is awesome, really good work, I only think that the disk is too light to be effective at 1500rpm and maybe too off the ground to catch the most wedge shaped bots, but do you have lxf file of that? I think I may be able to build it and make a real fight (I only lack bionicle parts and the xl motor, but I may found some)

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

But yes, the weapon may not reach far enough, and the bot's own "nose" looks to be in the way. I really think yhou should have placed it at least 5 or so studs forward. Remember - the weapon should be the first thing that an enemy hits :)

Sadly I don't have an LXF file as this was all built physically without any digital prototyping. As you see it here, the disc's teeth are just a few mllimetres from catching the drive motors, hence why it's a little too high.

However, I've since moved the whole weapon part one stud forward, which has also let me increase the length of the teeth by one stud. Looking forward to trying it out and posting the video here shortly!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm also planning to increase the weight of the disc by attaching some liftarm beams between the spokes of the wheel hubs.

Edited by heyitsdisty

1 hour ago, heyitsdisty said:

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm also planning to increase the weight of the disc by attaching some liftarm beams between the spokes of the wheel hubs.

Try an old motorcycle wheel in between, rubber it is heavier than just plastic, but i'm not sure if you have room

I love these compact designs! very nice work on the panels, gives it the real look!

the weapon needs a bit more distance i'd say, maybe you have room for some pins in those orange angular beams on the drum? 3L pin pushed in from the back would never separate and have a bigger impact with the smaller area it hits.

Good luck in the contest!

One of my favourite entries so far , the bodywork is sleek and it is very compact built. :thumbup:

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words!

On 17/04/2017 at 9:02 PM, Marxpek said:

the weapon needs a bit more distance i'd say, maybe you have room for some pins in those orange angular beams on the drum? 3L pin pushed in from the back would never separate and have a bigger impact with the smaller area it hits.

As you see it here, the drum is too close to the drive motors to add any length to the teeth. However I've since moved the drum one stud forward along the chassis and increased the length of the teeth by one stud. Will post pics and a video soon!

On 18/04/2017 at 3:34 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Awesome! I am starting to see more X-Pod lids being used creatively! What software did you use to make such a nice video?

The whole thing was filmed on an iPad Pro and edited on Premiere Pro CC. Glad you liked it! The video was slightly rushed and I'd definitely like to make a few changes, but I'm very happy with the slo-mo footage.