bekesizoltan

Is there any 5+R (maybe with +N) sequential remote controllable gearbox?

Hi,

I'm looking for a reliable remote controllable 5+R sequential gearbox or ideas how to build one. If it would have a neutral as well it would be perfect.

Please share your ideas and if you are aware of any kind of existing solution please share the link.

Thanks,

Zoltan

I'm guessing the index mechanism from Didumos's Hammerhead would be a good place to start:

I have a few videos on my YouTube Channel:

Lego Technic Smooth Linear Gearbox - 6 Speed + Reverse
Read the video description for more information.

With 6 Speeds + Reverse, the gearbox ends up quite big though.

A neutral gear can also be added, as shown in my 3 Speed + Neutral + PTO version of this gearbox:

Lego Technic Smooth Linear Gearbox - 3 Speed + Neutral + PTO
Again, check the video description for more information.

Sheepo has some good ones, but instructions are expensive.

5+R is a very difficult combination to build because you need three driving rings. Would a straight-8 (8 forward, no reverse) be an option? That would be easier because you can make a 4-speed sequential connected to a 2-speed (I recommend having the 2-speed's gear ratio difference around 1:1.25 - this can be done with a 16-tooth and a 20-tooth).

Al though Sheepo's geatboxes are well known and impressive, the master himself reports on correct speeds change ratios of 85-95%. I would personally never settle for such a high fault rate.

There are better shifters out there these days that can be motorized quite easily. I know @DugaldIC has motorized a modified version of my shifter. Something similar should be doable for the shiftera in @Jeroen Ottens DB11. His 8-speed sequential is also a serie of a 4-speed and a 2-speed.

I was looking into this recently as well, one thing I noticed was due to shifting options there's no easy way to motorize a 5+R gearbox. I settled for a four speed forward but wasn't happy with any gearboxes I came across and made my own compact four speed with a modified version of Didumos 90° limiter.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

reports on correct speeds change ratios of 85-95%. I know @DugaldIC has motorized a modified version of my shifter. Something similar should be doable for the shifter in @Jeroen Ottens8speed

However I'd have to say I have about the same issue Sheepo has with the driving/shifting rate, it's not perfect unfortunately. Your best bet for sequential is a four speed or if you'd like to get fancy an 8 speed due to the limitations of Lego shifting capabilities! Unfortunately I don't have ldd of my shifter otherwise I'd say try it out. 

Edited by DugaldIC

I'm having this issue too. After months I'm still trying to find the right gearbox like this (except four-speed) for my GX EV3. I tried Sariel's 4-speed sequential that's shifted by remote control and modified it many times, but it only resulted in high complexity and lots of gear grinding while the car was moving.

Sheepo 4 speed sequential mini-gearbox and 7 speed sequential gearbox are free to download, actually.

Another good starting point can be Sariel's ultra-compact 4 speed sequential gearbox... free instructions as well.