LegoMonorailFan

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Recommended Posts

I'm a little torn on the issue, honestly.  I love some of the reinventions, like the ones in the CMF series:

Astronaut-Series-15-LEGO-Minifigures-30099ae6ab1d71f22eb8cde914ef4c6518f.jpg

But you can't go wrong with the Classic Space figures, either.

I love the Classic Space look.  I also love that they released the Exo Suit through LEGO Ideas and included the Classic Space figure in a new color.  I'd love to see that figure in every color of the rainbow.  Let's have them in dark purple, light azure, earth orange...

But I also like the idea of accent colors.  The Rocket Boy came with a light grey Clasic Space torso, which is awesome, but he has dark grey hands and legs rather than light grey.  So he has an accent color.  I wouldn't mind seeing all of Classic Space taken this way.  So you would have the blue Space outfit like Benny, but with dark blue hands and legs, and maybe a dark blue helmet as well.  To expand on the accents, a little bit of arm and leg printing couldn't hurt, but make it consistent across all the figures, and keep it simple.  But then it's a slippery slope towards reinvention like the figures above.

Can a Space theme exist with both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I'm a little torn on the issue, honestly.  I love some of the reinventions, like the ones in the CMF series:

Astronaut-Series-15-LEGO-Minifigures-30099ae6ab1d71f22eb8cde914ef4c6518f.jpg

But you can't go wrong with the Classic Space figures, either.

I love the Classic Space look.  I also love that they released the Exo Suit through LEGO Ideas and included the Classic Space figure in a new color.  I'd love to see that figure in every color of the rainbow.  Let's have them in dark purple, light azure, earth orange...

But I also like the idea of accent colors.  The Rocket Boy came with a light grey Clasic Space torso, which is awesome, but he has dark grey hands and legs rather than light grey.  So he has an accent color.  I wouldn't mind seeing all of Classic Space taken this way.  So you would have the blue Space outfit like Benny, but with dark blue hands and legs, and maybe a dark blue helmet as well.  To expand on the accents, a little bit of arm and leg printing couldn't hurt, but make it consistent across all the figures, and keep it simple.  But then it's a slippery slope towards reinvention like the figures above.

Can a Space theme exist with both?

Yes, I agree totally. A little bit of everything would work great as long as the designers take special note of the word "little". Just don't over do it! And yes, consistency is key in the sense that all the figures should have the same printing design with different base colors. On the flip side, I was super excited when Lego made the green classic space figs for Pete Reid's mech, but at the same time that pink space fig is one of my all time favorites. So as you can see I'm really torn on this issue, and I believe everyone is as well. But push come to shove? I would have to go with the original classic design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately, a design that isn't too wacky and uses the Classic Space logo is the basis of what I want to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I love the Classic Space look.  I also love that they released the Exo Suit through LEGO Ideas and included the Classic Space figure in a new color.  I'd love to see that figure in every color of the rainbow.  Let's have them in dark purple, light azure, earth orange...

Perhaps lime green and orange like these guys from 3842 Lunar Command.

85863pb013.png85863pb014.png

As far as wild color variations, I could see us getting such figures from a hypothetical CS themed Juniors set. :shrug_oh_well:

15 minutes ago, x105Black said:

But I also like the idea of accent colors.  The Rocket Boy came with a light grey Clasic Space torso, which is awesome, but he has dark grey hands and legs rather than light grey.  So he has an accent color.  I wouldn't mind seeing all of Classic Space taken this way.  So you would have the blue Space outfit like Benny, but with dark blue hands and legs, and maybe a dark blue helmet as well.  To expand on the accents, a little bit of arm and leg printing couldn't hurt, but make it consistent across all the figures, and keep it simple.  But then it's a slippery slope towards reinvention like the figures above.

This is where I would like to see them go, with a darker upon lighter hued mixture. And additional printing other than the torso logo would be limited, maybe CS logos printed on the upper arms like the S15 Astronaut would be nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Hey, here's a thought. If Lego were to bring back classic space, obviously we would want the original color scheme for the vehicles and moon bases. Grey and blue with transparent yellow for spaceships, and grey with transparent green for land vehicles. But what about the minifigs? Would we want them to keep their minimalist style and remain the same? Or maybe add some knee pads and what not? How about accenting colors like dark blue, dark red, chima yellow, etc.? Or what about a entire revamp? What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks. :sweet:

I think It would be interesting to see a 'younger spacers' generation stepping up to the plate (see the lego joke I made there... :tongue:).
So the classic outfit for grandpa/grandma mentor/teachers and a fresher/more colorfull outfit for the new/upcoming recruits, something among those lines.

They could even put Benny in the story-arc by telling how he got his classic uniform; a hand-me-down legacy from his famous space uncle, who got separated nearly 40 years ago...
'Space-ships on fire off the shoulder of Duplon, I watched Technic-beams glitter in the dark near the Belville-house Gate' and the legendary story how he got the crack in his visor is for another time. :wink:

 

Edited by -zenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, -zenn said:

I think It would be interesting to see a 'younger spacers' generation stepping up to the plate (see the lego joke I made there... :tongue:).
So the classic outfit for grandpa/grandma mentor/teachers and a fresher/more colorfull outfit for the new/upcoming recruits, something among those lines.

They could even put Benny in the story-arc by telling how he got his classic uniform; a hand-me-down legacy from his famous space uncle, who got separated nearly 40 years ago...
'Space-ships on fire off the shoulder of Duplon, I watched Technic-beams glitter in the dark near the Belville-house Gate' and the legendary story how he got the crack in his visor is for another time. :wink:

 

Haha! Lol. Sure, "classic space". "a new generation". That sounds cool!  (It also sounds like star trek. And quite frankly anything with the word "generation" in it sounds star trekie to me.) But as I stated in one of my previous comments, don't over do it on the changes. Remember, we would want this to be a classic space theme. Not something vaguely representing CS.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of CS in preexisting themes again, with the direction City has taken with exploration subthemes recently, I strongly think we could see a moonbase exploration subtheme soon here, with many of the sets taking their inspiration from CS and futuristic NASA shuttle concepts (like the X33 pictured below). This could be our strongest bet for a conflictless space exploration theme currently, though how much of its style and color scheme would take after CS I don't know.

future%20shuttle.jpg

Now on a different note, would it be a stretch for Lego to do CS themed sets for Technic? Perhaps a mostly Light Bluish Grey RC moon rover with suspension would be the way to go. :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, -zenn said:

I think It would be interesting to see a 'younger spacers' generation stepping up to the plate (see the lego joke I made there... :tongue:).
So the classic outfit for grandpa/grandma mentor/teachers and a fresher/more colorfull outfit for the new/upcoming recruits, something among those lines.

They could even put Benny in the story-arc by telling how he got his classic uniform; a hand-me-down legacy from his famous space uncle, who got separated nearly 40 years ago...
'Space-ships on fire off the shoulder of Duplon, I watched Technic-beams glitter in the dark near the Belville-house Gate' and the legendary story how he got the crack in his visor is for another time. :wink:

 

A Lego Space movie would be great, but I don't think Benny is popular enough to warrant a spinoff, though maybe we could see a short film starring him like The Master short attached to a major WB tentpole film. :shrug_oh_well:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2017 at 3:07 PM, Henchmen4Hire said:

-Deciding whether to design the sets for kids or adults Is a moot point because only adults can afford Lego sets anyway. And then you guys are talking about $500 sets? I don't even know any adults who would want to pay that, no matter how cool it is. I don't even know any adults who would buy a $20 set for their kids, they're so expensive for how little physical stuff you get. I understand precision parts are expensive and imagination is priceless and all that fluff, but observation and anecdotal evidence tells me adults don't want to buy LEGO. The only time I see or hear about adults buying LEGO stuff is on forums like this.

The vast majority of LEGO sets sold, whether directly to kids or to adults, are bought for kids. And while preschool/early childhood toys put a lot of emphasis on designing and marketing them to the parent's tastes, toys for school-aged kids tend to sell better when they're designed and marketed to the child's tastes.

You'd be surprised how much money a lot of parents are willing to spend on entertainment for their kids, especially if they perceive it as constructive or wholesome. Also, much like a lot of other consumer products (such as video game consoles or other brands of toys), LEGO actually tends to be less expensive than it was in the 80s or 90s. And anyway, the fact that even fairly expensive LEGO themes like City and Star Wars are as popular as they are should be enough to tell you that SOMEONE's buying them.

Not all families can afford to spend the same amount on toys, though. That's why most brands try to cover a range of different price points. For every $100 or $120 Ninjago set there tend to be as many or more $10, $20, or $30 ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

You'd be surprised how much money a lot of parents are willing to spend on entertainment for their kids, especially if they perceive it as constructive or wholesome. Also, much like a lot of other consumer products (such as video game consoles or other brands of toys), LEGO actually tends to be less expensive than it was in the 80s or 90s. And anyway, the fact that even fairly expensive LEGO themes like City and Star Wars are as popular as they are should be enough to tell you that SOMEONE's buying them.

I have shared this opinion in other threads elsewhere, but this I why I think Lego should return to the multiple model Designer template for Creator seen in sets from 2003 to 2005. The 3 in 1 template is great for Creator, but it suggests to most people limitations (though that surely isn't the case), whereas a 8+ or 15+ in one set suggests infinite possibilities from a single set, communicating to parents that Lego does not need to be a system to be collected to expand the playability lifespan of the initial set.

Expanding Creator's subtheme potential to themes such as space and adventure/action fare also attracts those not interested in Creator's usual offerings to the theme, and therefore introducing them to the infinite possibilities the Lego System offers beyond the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how original this idea is, not very I'd imagine, but let's say that you use 928 as a template or starting point (338 parts at roughly £39.99 in today's austerity pound) modify the build a little, throw in a few extra bits that are missing and you could pretty much make 924, 918, 886, 885 and 891... and maybe some of the other classic sets too? I expect someone cleverer than me could do a quick investigation on rebrickable and get better results than I did.

If there were a creator set that had that aim as it's remit to re-imagine, update or even create a new one off space theme where you got the "big ship" as the main set, a one man cruiser and a couple of other space themed builds as the alternate models I think it would appeal to a lot of people.

Thinking about this makes me want to have a go at actually setting this as a challenge for my next moc!

Maybe this could work as a competition?

With the idea of using space, classic space, neo classic space, mars mission or any other space theme (or one of your own devising) as the 'look': design a sub £50 "creator" set (no more than 600 pieces let's say) with a minimum of 4 possible alternate builds, all space themed. One main set has to use all the pieces, two others must use at least 75% of the pieces each and two final builds must use at least 50% of them each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badgerboy said:

I don't know how original this idea is, not very I'd imagine, but let's say that you use 928 as a template or starting point (338 parts at roughly £39.99 in today's austerity pound) modify the build a little, throw in a few extra bits that are missing and you could pretty much make 924, 918, 886, 885 and 891... and maybe some of the other classic sets too? I expect someone cleverer than me could do a quick investigation on rebrickable and get better results than I did.

If there were a creator set that had that aim as it's remit to re-imagine, update or even create a new one off space theme where you got the "big ship" as the main set, a one man cruiser and a couple of other space themed builds as the alternate models I think it would appeal to a lot of people.

Thinking about this makes me want to have a go at actually setting this as a challenge for my next moc!

Maybe this could work as a competition?

With the idea of using space, classic space, neo classic space, mars mission or any other space theme (or one of your own devising) as the 'look': design a sub £50 "creator" set (no more than 600 pieces let's say) with a minimum of 4 possible alternate builds, all space themed. One main set has to use all the pieces, two others must use at least 75% of the pieces each and two final builds must use at least 50% of them each.

This is something Peter Morris called "Classic Space Evolved", a style that reimagined many CS sets in a contemporary, homage style. I remember some of his work featured in The Lego Adventure Book Vol. 1 and The Art of Lego Design, particularly the box cockpit starfighters. Here is a Flickr album of his "Classic Space Evolved" MOCs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rival_m/albums/72157624874025445

But yes, a competition like that would be great! I am surprised no one has done this yet, but someone should do a "evolved" Galaxy Explorer using part no. 28782 (pictured below) in Trans-yellow from TLBM Batmobile! The part's dimensions are perfect for it (6 by 6 by 2)!

6171892.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a modular space theme? Meaning the ships are made out of modules that are connected via Technic pins, and you can rearrange the modules if you get more sets. That would open up more possibilities for different ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

What about a modular space theme? Meaning the ships are made out of modules that are connected via Technic pins, and you can rearrange the modules if you get more sets. That would open up more possibilities for different ships.

Hey @VaderFan2187, I like your idea! The sets would probably be your typical types, (moon buggy, mobile laboratory, and assorted space ships) but they would all join together to make one large...

  img-2886803-1-Lego-movie-meme-84531e880725f5a.jpg

Also, this makes sense realistically in the sense that one large vehicle travels to its destination and then detaches into smaller vehicles which then detach into more smaller vehicles! 

 impressive-most-impressive.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, allstyles said:

do not get your hopes up,.. my guess it is nexo knights...

Well, Nexo Knights has already been announced and made available for Lego Worlds about three days ago.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-nexo-knights-now-available-on-lego-worlds/

But yeah, the inclusion of space in this game really doesn't say anything about the future of space for a theme or other products, since it's just a new environment expansion for the game and a core theme for Lego historically.

Now I am surprised that the game is getting a Nexo Knights expansion, if that says anything about the future of the theme, but all this is discussion for other topics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danth said:

Video removed, what was it?

Official promotion video of a Classic Space DLC for LEGO Worlds! :sweet: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Official promotion video of a Classic Space DLC for LEGO Worlds! :sweet: 

 

4 hours ago, danth said:

Freaking awesome. I am buying the !@#% out of LEGO Worlds now.

http://bricksfans.com/explore-lego-space-with-lego-worlds/

Whoa! Is this for real or someone's idea of a sick joke? I hope it's not the latter!

Apparently @Digger of Bricks was right! 

But why was it removed? 

 

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Official promotion video of a Classic Space DLC for LEGO Worlds! :sweet: 

The 80s vibe and style in the trailer is kinda cool, especially how it starts out with a VRC rewind screen. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The 80s vibe and style in the trailer is kinda cool, especially how it starts out with a VRC rewind screen. :laugh:

Can't wait to see what the pack looks like!

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.