Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

This wave of sets is not so much set ON Mars as it is meant to inspire kids to treat their homes, yards, etc, as Mars.  The only set actually ON Mars is the Mars Research Shuttle.  The space station orbits Earth, the Moon, or Mars, as you please.  The Space Research Rocket Control Center has the launch site and launch control center for a heavy lift rocket that may contain a Mars-bound payload.  The Rocket Transport also has a launch control center, plus a clean room/maintenance bay for a little rover that the rocket in the set will DELIVER to Mars.

10 hours ago, PBRStreetgang said:

I guess I am just a little confused? Is this is supposed to be part of a Mars base?? Some figures have helmets,...one building is enclosed and there seems to be a bit sampling. But on the other hand one building is open and some figures are dressed up,.....non-space fashion?? 

Is this new City theme on Mars?? I mean the theme is called LEGO City Mars Exploration sets??

This depicts the Earth-based launch center, not a location on Mars. The figure in space clothes is presumably running through a simulation, hence the scientist-looking person with a laptop looking on.

The theme is Mars Exploration, but most of the sets are still in LEGO City on Earth, getting ready to explore Mars, doing the typical NASA-type stuff like tests and simulations. They need to make sure the gear does what it is supposed to do, after all, before sending it thousands of miles across space to another planet! 

On 4/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, x105Black said:

It's really weird that he has an alien head on a stick, but I'm not complaining about getting that piece.

Isn't this some minifigures playing a practical joke, using an alien mask on a stick pretending there are aliens for the camera.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:06 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This depicts the Earth-based launch center, not a location on Mars. The figure in space clothes is presumably running through a simulation, hence the scientist-looking person with a laptop looking on.

The theme is Mars Exploration, but most of the sets are still in LEGO City on Earth, getting ready to explore Mars, doing the typical NASA-type stuff like tests and simulations. They need to make sure the gear does what it is supposed to do, after all, before sending it thousands of miles across space to another planet! 

Indeed,...thanks for the reply. I guess I had it in my head the theme would be on MARS,...like the old Classic Space theme (presumably the Moon). 

On 5/11/2019 at 3:02 AM, MAB said:

Isn't this some minifigures playing a practical joke, using an alien mask on a stick pretending there are aliens for the camera.

That's what it looked like to me

On 5/9/2019 at 8:25 AM, BlackFalconSpace said:

Not quite. Its the new logo but its hard to tell in that picture

Bummer, missed opportunity, but I get that they are going all out with this branding for the City Space stuff.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, MAB said:

Yeah, I guess so, but still weird.

Hello everyone. I’ve started dabbling on the YouTube and made a video about a forthcoming LEGO space set - I’m thinking it might be of interest to people on this thread :) 

And while I’ve got your attention, I also took a look at a space set that LEGO Ideas refused to have on the site (and no, it’s not because it was bad ;) 

Can't wait for my first Lego sets in 20+ years* 60227: Lunar Space Station & 60224: Satellite Service Mission :wub:

*received Benny's Space Squad as a gift recently.

Love the white with orange accents color scheme as well as the overall and Space Exploration/the Martian influence!

Love the whole line including the great people pack with scientists, astronauts and lots of funny humor.

Hmm ... usually I like GBailey's work, but this leans too heavily into random greebling for me.  I prefer cleaner lines.  Also, the shape of the spaceship isn't very interesting.  That rover is pretty cool though.  I'd go for the rover without the spaceship, but not for both at once.