LegoMonorailFan

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Recommended Posts

On 1/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, DPrime said:

I totally get that point of view, but... isn't that what we've had with *every* space theme, year after year, since Classic Space (or at least Futuron/Space Police) ended? I think it's time for a revival, personally... no doubt we'll get other, different space themes in the future, but '80s nostalgia in general is very high, and Classic Space's inclusion in The LEGO Movie means the time is ripe!

Hear hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, DPrime said:

I totally get that point of view, but... isn't that what we've had with *every* space theme, year after year, since Classic Space (or at least Futuron/Space Police) ended? I think it's time for a revival, personally... no doubt we'll get other, different space themes in the future, but '80s nostalgia in general is very high, and Classic Space's inclusion in The LEGO Movie means the time is ripe!

Exactly, they should strike while the iron's hot! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 10:32 AM, DPrime said:

I totally get that point of view, but... isn't that what we've had with *every* space theme, year after year, since Classic Space (or at least Futuron/Space Police) ended? I think it's time for a revival, personally... no doubt we'll get other, different space themes in the future, but '80s nostalgia in general is very high, and Classic Space's inclusion in The LEGO Movie means the time is ripe!

But, why not a revival that's its own thing at the same time, an all-new Space theme that takes more heavily after CS than prior lines have? :shrug_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But, why not a revival that's its own thing at the same time, an all-new Space theme that takes more heavily after CS than prior lines have? :shrug_confused:

They probably wouldn't be ready to take that risk yet, by easing in with something Kids know and care about (Just remember back to just after TLM came out, kids were crazy about Benny and the CS aesthetic) is much more reasonable way LEGO would give us a Sci-fi LEGO space theme with a premise other than "Humans good, aliens bad, blow them up" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

They probably wouldn't be ready to take that risk yet, by easing in with something Kids know and care about (Just remember back to just after TLM came out, kids were crazy about Benny and the CS aesthetic) is much more reasonable way LEGO would give us a Sci-fi LEGO space theme with a premise other than "Humans good, aliens bad, blow them up

Every original Space theme doesn't necessarily need to go along the lines of that highlighted premise, as I'm simply proposing an all-new exploration-based action/adventure theme that'd take great influence from Classic Space. Besides, a "good-vs-evil" themed Space theme likely couldn't coexist alongside Disney's Star Wars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Every original Space theme doesn't necessarily need to go along the lines of that highlighted premise, as I'm simply proposing an all-new exploration-based action/adventure theme that'd take great influence from Classic Space. Besides, a "good-vs-evil" themed Space theme likely couldn't coexist alongside Disney's Star Wars. 

I know but what I'm saying is I'm not sure LEGO'd willing to try that without something like Benny to draw kids in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

I know but what I'm saying is I'm not sure LEGO'd willing to try that without something like Benny to draw kids in

Well, if Benny's indeed a bankable character (which I don't think we're quite certain of), then a UniKitty-styled spin-off TV show and subsequent tie-in theme would more likely be the way they'd handle it (as @danth had suggested earlier here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But, why not a revival that's its own thing at the same time, an all-new Space theme that takes more heavily after CS than prior lines have? :shrug_confused:

I'd be cool with that.

Honestly, as long as it's got the CS logo - or some kind of variation, like some of the CMF figs have had - I'm in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grew up with Classic Space in the 80s - it was suitably futuristic then, but I found that all the subsequent space sets aged badly and lack the slickness we see in movie/tv-based space sci-fi; Star Wars mirrored the aesthetic of that particular universe well but it doesn't leave a lot of room for re-imagination.

Maybe they need to take some cues from the cutting edge of sci-fi industrial design - but that might alienate younger customers who wanted glowing neon parts and more "outlandish" deisgns?

Edited by alvinofdiaspar
additional thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Maybe they need to take some cues from the cutting edge of sci-fi industrial design - but that might alienate younger customers who wanted glowing neon parts and more "outlandish" deisgns?

Sci-Fi Industrial Design:shrug_confused:

Could you cite some examples of such? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Maybe they need to take some cues from the cutting edge of sci-fi industrial design 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sci-Fi Industrial Design:shrug_confused:

Could you cite some examples of such? 

I suppose 'industrial' could be interpreted as a type of style; one that is more angular and intricate (greebled, if you will) than the more rounded and aerodynamic shape of the Space Shuttle, for example. From a different perspective, I'd say 'industrial' has more of 'corporate' than 'governmental' ring to it. 'Cutting edge' shouldn't be a problem to understand. Now, if you sum that up...

Voilà, SpaceX! :laugh:

f9-crs8-landing2-879x485.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

I suppose 'industrial' could be interpreted as a type of style; one that is more angular and intricate (greebled, if you will) than the more rounded and aerodynamic shape of the Space Shuttle, for example. From a different perspective, I'd say 'industrial' has more of 'corporate' than 'governmental' ring to it. 'Cutting edge' shouldn't be a problem to understand. Now, if you sum that up...

Voilà, SpaceX! :laugh:

Yes SpaceX is at the realistic end of design - and the aesthetic is very much informed by sci-fi. Having said that, it need not be that restrictive - just think how the Tron Legacy Lightcycle designed by Daniel Simon got translated into Lego by BrickBros, for example.  I find the broader community produce consistently superior space and sci-fi designs than officials lego sets.

Look up the works by Syd Mead - the grand daddy of sci-fi industrial design.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar
Additional thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Look up the works by Syd Mead - the grand daddy of sci-fi industrial design.

So, retrofuturism of the 1970's/1980's? :shrug_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

So, retrofuturism of the 1970's/1980's? :shrug_confused:

Update it for sure, kids are probably sophisticated enough to demand something slicker than what Classic Space was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

I suppose 'industrial' could be interpreted as a type of style; one that is more angular and intricate (greebled, if you will) than the more rounded and aerodynamic shape of the Space Shuttle, for example. From a different perspective, I'd say 'industrial' has more of 'corporate' than 'governmental' ring to it. 'Cutting edge' shouldn't be a problem to understand. Now, if you sum that up...

Voilà, SpaceX! :laugh:

There certainly seems to be a lot of interest for Space X related Ideas lately, currently still 2 Falcon Heavy related sets, and a Microscale ISS up for the next review

And 2 Super Heavy related Ideas are trending rapidly, one at ~1400 in 9 days, other at ~4000 in 20 days, meanwhile the Space Shuttle Atlantis set sits at ~7300 but that was submitted 2 years ago.

 

Personally I don't care that much about Space X or NASA sets, I can understand the desire as display models, like the Saturn V certainly looks cool but just isn't my type of Space set. 

 

However I did get the 2017 Space shuttle 3-in-1, it's not accurate at all but still a fun unlicensed product with a minfigure that can use the builds at a reasonable scale.

2019 Creator 3-in-1 Space Shuttle Transport and it's alternate builds might look nice but it's not minifig scale so not really in my interest.

 

I think the "Fantasy" type space sets were a lot less restrictive for play and rebuilding, not having to be being realistic, and things like magnets, scanning, hovertech and laser prisons were fun for imagnitive play.

Star Wars also sort of suffers from critics saying that things aren't accurate to source.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Update it for sure, kids are probably sophisticated enough to demand something slicker than what Classic Space was.

I agree. We need more detailed builds, with greebling and modern building styles. I'd keep the blue and white colours of the theme that came after Classic Space, as it feels more modern than blue, grey and trans yellow, but I'd definitely keep the logo. That logo is so clean and iconic, it just has to be part of any revamp :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pombe said:

Hmm.  An updated and more sophisticated version of Classic Space for today's children.  I wonder where TLG might find inspiration for that?

 

This actually makes me think of another possible reason why Lego might not opt for an updated Classic Space theme—that it has already been done so well so many times by AFOLs that it would be that much harder for a Lego-designed take on it to measure up in the eyes of all fans. It's very possible that something more novel that doesn't invite direct comparisons to past AFOL MOCs might be received more favorably overall than a theme that has already had so many different takes on it over the years.

I know that I was personally surprised by how the reaction to the Benny's Spaceship set from the first Lego movie among Classic Space fans included not just strong positive reactions but also a fair number of negative reactions from people who felt that its weaponry, or its use of dark grey, or its use of curved elements instead of just sharp angles, made it seem false or inauthentic to the original theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pombe said:

Hmm.  An updated and more sophisticated version of Classic Space for today's children.  I wonder where TLG might find inspiration for that?

 

Very nice indeed - I would expand the palette and move away from CS blue (there are so many shades available now, unlike the 80s).  It's one thing to pay homage, but I think being overly kitschy wouldn't be "fair" to the kids for which this will be their first experience with space sets.

Something in Earth Blue (Dark Blue) and Dark Stone Grey (Dark Grey) with trans accents would be very nice. I thought Rexcelsior pointed in a good direction colourwise.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I know that I was personally surprised by how the reaction to the Benny's Spaceship set from the first Lego movie among Classic Space fans included not just strong positive reactions but also a fair number of negative reactions from people who felt that its weaponry, or its use of dark grey, or its use of curved elements instead of just sharp angles, made it seem false or inauthentic to the original theme.

That's why I feel Lego should take inspiration from Classic Space rather than directly basing a future Space theme off of it, thereby not acting as a divisive reinterpretation of the original source material but rather its own distinct theme.

3 minutes ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

I would expand the palette and move away from CS blue (there are so many shades available now, unlike the 80s)

Like, say, spacecraft done in Dark Azur and Dark Bluish Grey with Trans. Bright Orange canopies? :shrug_oh_well:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

That's why I feel Lego should take inspiration from Classic Space rather than directly basing a future Space theme off of it, thereby not acting as a divisive reinterpretation of the original source material but rather its own distinct theme.

Like, say, spacecraft done in Dark Azur and Dark Bluish Grey with Trans. Bright Orange canopies? :shrug_oh_well:

Personally I feel that using massive amount of trans for canopies is too "garish" - it need to be used, but used discriminantly. I wish there could be some use of metallic silver as accents as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm reading from the last few posts:

Classic Space is Classic Space, so long as the Classic Space logo is used.  Everything else can be changed.

Am I reading the spirit of the discussion correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pombe said:

What I'm reading from the last few posts:

Classic Space is Classic Space, so long as the Classic Space logo is used.  Everything else can be changed.

Am I reading the spirit of the discussion correctly?

That would work for me, but I can't speak for anyone else.

That's why I'm excited for the forthcoming LEGO City space theme 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

Personally I feel that using massive amount of trans for canopies is too "garish" - it need to be used, but used discriminantly.

Yeah, I guess since we're on the subject of each other's tastes, I personally prefer limiting the most predominate transparent elements to the canopy of a spacecraft build. Having said that though, I wouldn't mind seeing canopies reduced to futuristic "honeycomb" porthole windows in official sets. :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, pombe said:

What I'm reading from the last few posts:

Classic Space is Classic Space, so long as the Classic Space logo is used.  Everything else can be changed.

Am I reading the spirit of the discussion correctly?

To me, Classic Space is the original sets, while everything else (themes, sets, and MOCs) evokes them to one degree or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Captain Mutant said:

That would work for me, but I can't speak for anyone else.

That's why I'm excited for the forthcoming LEGO City space theme 🙂 

Me too - though I think that theme will fall more on the realistic (so far as Lego City realism goes) side and not space opera sci-fi that's more the purview of CS.

 

31 minutes ago, pombe said:

What I'm reading from the last few posts:

Classic Space is Classic Space, so long as the Classic Space logo is used.  Everything else can be changed.

Am I reading the spirit of the discussion correctly?

Agree - CS is a very specific type of design style - I think evoking the spirit of it in future sets is good; replicating it wouldn't feel right other than for nostalgia.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.