Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

14 hours ago, danth said:

I think people are quick to dismiss the possibilities for a new Classic Space theme.

Unikitty got her own spinoff theme after the first movie. There's no reason we couldn't get something like that for Benny after part 2. Even if it's just a one-off theme, and not a full Space relaunch, it could be extremely cool.

Certainly Benny could get a spinoff theme.  But Unikitty got her own theme because she got her own cartoon.  Despite being a Lego Movie character, her little theme has more in common with DC Superhero Girls and PowerPuff Girls.

18 hours ago, danth said:

I think people are quick to dismiss the possibilities for a new Classic Space theme.

Unikitty got her own spinoff theme after the first movie. There's no reason we couldn't get something like that for Benny after part 2. Even if it's just a one-off theme, and not a full Space relaunch, it could be extremely cool.

Sure, but the thing is, I personally would rather see something original from the next eventual Space theme as opposed to a straight-up revival of Classic Space right away, preferably keeping those outright throwbacks to Benny & Company reserved for the Creator Expert theme, Creator Three-In-One sets, promotionals, cinematic Lego Movie tie-ins, and what not for the mean time. :shrug_confused:

18 hours ago, danth said:

I am still hoping for at least 1 of the 4 space ships we see in the background on the Benny's space squad box, and some tv/trailer media as a set.

Edited by TeriXeri

27 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I am still hoping for at least 1 of the 4 space ships we see in the background on the Benny's space squad box, and some tv/trailer media as a set.

Me too. Perhaps if Benny's space squad sells well we might see some more in the future?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, but the thing is, I personally would rather see something original from the next eventual Space theme as opposed to a straight-up revival of Classic Space right away

I feel like LEGO would do things the other way round, Make a Unikitty style spinoff theme (Small waves Ect) then assuming that does well they'd have their hand at another original space them

On 1/14/2019 at 12:05 AM, x105Black said:

Basically, I think they could take the best elements of all Space themes to make the ultimate Space theme.  I can see it working if they do it properly.

So they'd take the minifigures from classic space, the ship designs from classic space and the colour scheme from classic space.

15 minutes ago, MAB said:

So they'd take the minifigures from classic space, the ship designs from classic space and the colour scheme from classic space.

:laugh: :grin_wub:

I would not be opposed to some Futuron, Blacktron, and Ice Planet sprinkled in there.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

:laugh:

Just found this on Brickset.

Space has been a theme in the Education line as recent as 2018, this even has the Moon Mission clearly on it

The other set is a 2015 "expansion" set and has a more space exploration feel with some brick built aliens (not all shown actually in the set)

[img=

45807-1.jpg?201804191031]

[img=

45102-1.jpg?201509080905]

Very much shows the Space idea is very much alive even outside TLM2.

Education has "sets" with great minifigs, including many community packs, and even fantasy characters, too bad they aren't up for regular retail. I found some older ones online with a rather high price, not the 2018 one.

They have a bit of similarity to the 2018 60th anniversary sets, for 2018 even had one named "mission to mars", so maybe they'll do more of them for regular retail.

Here's hoping for 2019 City Space Line provides at least some of this vibe, and a possible TLM2 summer wave for the more Classic Space way.

Edited by TeriXeri

First time using Stud.io , built a simple spaceship using parts of the 2019 Creator Futuristic Flyer set (31086) as a quick experiment.

Minifig not included, and the underside is really basic.

dCEsraJ.jpg

JkLJYL9.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

14 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Impressive... the sheer size and angular shaping reminds me a little of the Spearhead from Jim Spaceborn.

I'm mostly excited to see the Earth Blue recolor of this part for its thrusters, which hasn't been seen since its 2015 debut. :grin:

Maybe a callback to the Infinity Gauntlet having a character from Infinity War voicing the pilot of a fist-shaped ship.

I love it.  Great source of dark blue parts!

On 1/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, danth said:

Well there's an idea.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, but the thing is, I personally would rather see something original from the next eventual Space theme as opposed to a straight-up revival of Classic Space right away, preferably keeping those outright throwbacks to Benny & Company reserved for the Creator Expert theme, Creator Three-In-One sets, promotionals, cinematic Lego Movie tie-ins, and what not for the mean time. :shrug_confused:

I totally get that point of view, but... isn't that what we've had with *every* space theme, year after year, since Classic Space (or at least Futuron/Space Police) ended? I think it's time for a revival, personally... no doubt we'll get other, different space themes in the future, but '80s nostalgia in general is very high, and Classic Space's inclusion in The LEGO Movie means the time is ripe!