Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

For illustration's sake, here's an official 1993 concept for a small lunar outpost from NASA:

NASA_Moon_base.gif

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

What if.. they would go with the green Futuron spacemen? That one was introduced in a City set after all :wink:

Heh, I forgot about that guy! 

20 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For illustration's sake, here's an official 1993 concept for a small lunar outpost from NASA:

NASA_Moon_base.gif

Heh, I forgot about that guy! 

i interpreted "space station" as something orbital myself (hence the LOPG mention), but after some thought, i do think a surface base is much more likely, which somewhat saddens me, as i would have loved more orbital stuff, especially non-shuttle derived spacecraft.

Still, i dont think lego will bend realism far enough to suggest shuttles landing on the moon, so unless they want to completely ruin the playability/coherence of the theme, there will at least be some sort of lander

Just now, vectormatic said:

Still, i dont think lego will bend realism far enough to suggest shuttles landing on the moon, so unless they want to completely ruin the playability/coherence of the theme, there will at least be some sort of lander

Ehhhh, I think City has bent realism plenty of times most recently, despite others' arguments against those notions.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I agree that the Lunar Outpost/Gateway would be a more realistic subject for this summer's rumored lunar base, since NASA currently doesn't have a crewed lunar lander in development, but as a subject for a Lego set I'm strongly inclined to believe that the rumored set would be a surface base.  That's much more practical as a Lego build, and it inherits a long history of surface bases,  whereas Lego has never done an orbiting space station that I'm aware of, and I'm not sure how they would make that structurally stable, playable, and not just another spaceship.  On a side note, this holiday season I almost talked myself into buying two more copies of the 31066 Space Shuttle Explorer from Creator so as to have its moonbase and rover built at the same time as the shuttle, thereby having "the entire line."  Before doing that, I built the B and C models from the copy I do have, and was disappointed to learn that they're far enough from A model quality that I really didn't like them without substantial mods.  Now I might still have to mod them up in Studio and order parts for the mods to go with extra copies of the kit, or I could just wait til summer and see what the City sets are like.  I wonder if the rumored moonbase and rover will be developments of the 31066 B and C models?  With the parts counts, that seems plausible to me.

38 minutes ago, icm said:

I agree that the Lunar Outpost/Gateway would be a more realistic subject for this summer's rumored lunar base, since NASA currently doesn't have a crewed lunar lander in development, but as a subject for a Lego set I'm strongly inclined to believe that the rumored set would be a surface base.  That's much more practical as a Lego build, and it inherits a long history of surface bases,  whereas Lego has never done an orbiting space station that I'm aware of, and I'm not sure how they would make that structurally stable, playable, and not just another spaceship.  On a side note, this holiday season I almost talked myself into buying two more copies of the 31066 Space Shuttle Explorer from Creator so as to have its moonbase and rover built at the same time as the shuttle, thereby having "the entire line."  Before doing that, I built the B and C models from the copy I do have, and was disappointed to learn that they're far enough from A model quality that I really didn't like them without substantial mods.  Now I might still have to mod them up in Studio and order parts for the mods to go with extra copies of the kit, or I could just wait til summer and see what the City sets are like.  I wonder if the rumored moonbase and rover will be developments of the 31066 B and C models?  With the parts counts, that seems plausible to me.

Im assuming the City sets will use different building techniques, and lean more on big parts, for the shuttle im sure the cockpit mold from the shuttles from a few years ago will make a comeback

AFAIK 31066 is end of life now, so if you want it, id suggest picking them up ASAP, on the other hand, i dont think it has any special/rare parts, so bricklinking your own extended version of the moonbase should be easy if the city sets dissapoint 

And i agree on the coming lunar station is much more likely to be a surface base, the only space stations i can think off in lego history is the Death Star sets from the SW theme :P

2 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

And i agree on the coming lunar station is much more likely to be a surface base, the only space stations i can think off in lego history is the Death Star sets from the SW theme :P

Well, there is this 2003 set: Brickset - 7467 International Space Station

7467-1.jpg?200301060227

Yes, but that's a microscale model with a display stand.  I sure hope the ISS model in Ideas review is selected for production, but it's still a microscale model with a display stand, not a minifig playset.

6 hours ago, danth said:

My first alternate build from that set:

If Emmet's car in that set had Bright Red wheels as opposed to Light Bluish Grey ones, that'd really throwback your alternate build! :thumbup: 

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

If Emmet's car in that set had Bright Red wheels as opposed to Light Bluish Grey ones, that'd really throwback your alternate build! :thumbup: 

Surprisingly the little buggy in the set has white wheels! Gray would have made sense but white is strange.

Anyway: Here's a Multi Build I just finished using pieces from 2 copies of 70821:

Mobile Rocket Transport

It's a redux of the classic Mobile Rocket Transport! I can't believe how much of it I was able to recreate using just two copies of 70821. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Link to album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75562601@N00/albums/72157703707290211/with/45619733305/

Here's the original set:

6950-1.jpg

6 minutes ago, danth said:

It's a redux of the classic Mobile Rocket Transport! I can't believe how much of it I was able to recreate using just two copies of 70821. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Dang, that is pretty cool! :thumbup: :oh3:

Hey guys.

Just for some I thought I'd publish from reviews of the new LEGO Movie 2 sets which are related to this thread.

The first one is, of course Benny's Space Squad - https://captainmutantblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/30/70841-bennys-space-squad-review/

And the other is Sweet Mayhem's Systar Spaceship! - https://captainmutantblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/31/70830-sweet-mayhems-systar-starship-review/

Have a look if you're interested and let me know what you think :)

Edited by Captain Mutant
typos

On 12/30/2018 at 4:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Dang, that is pretty cool! :thumbup: :oh3:

Update: Added in one copy of Benny's Space Squad.

Minor update

Changes:

• Added aerials/antennas on each side of the crew section like the original set had
  • Added a removable satellite to the rocket like the original set had
  • Hid most of the red & green pieces on the rocket
  • Rebuilt the radar dish which is smaller and better (IMO) now
  • Added new crew!

Just now, danth said:

Ooooh, that's much better! :thumbup: Besides the figures, are there any parts from that set's constructs that contributed to this updated build? 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ooooh, that's much better! :thumbup: Besides the figures, are there any parts from that set's constructs that contributed to this updated build? 

Yeah basically everything I mentioned. The satellite, radar dish, and antennas (levers) are all from Benny's Space Squad.

Also, since it's 2019 now, remember Ideas still has multiple "space" sets in the voting phase for next round.

https://ideas.lego.com/#in_review_projects

- International Space Station

- Space X Falcon Heavy

- Space X - Ultimate Collection

If any selection makes it through however, I'd much rather see Central Perk as a set.

Edited by TeriXeri

One for every spaceman colour that we are going to get? :wink: 

Edited by Exetrius

2 hours ago, bondp99 said:

in TLM2 there are a couple of new "classic" space ships from TV spot #6

Plus, @leafan mentioned that "spaceport" seen there shows up in the background of the box art for Benny's Space Squad set! :excited:

On 12/31/2018 at 12:25 PM, Captain Mutant said:

Fantastic review, @Captain Mutant! The text is clear and the pictures do a good job showing off parts as well as build techniques. Thanks for posting and linking here.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

8 hours ago, Exetrius said:

So a Denny and a Renny? Maybe they could add green for a Penny.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, danth said:

I love this, though I do have to ask why there are headlights on the vehicle's side :grin:

On 1/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, danth said:

I love this though I have to ask why the vehicle has headlights on it's side? :tongue:

8 hours ago, Exetrius said:

So I assume Red and Black (Renny and Denny? :grin:

On 1/1/2019 at 4:34 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a recently submitted LEGO Ideas project readers of this topic may be interested in. :wink:

LEGO Ideas - Galactic Spearhead by ky-e

5978208-o_1d0196pbdu3ko8l3t55vm1rfo1b.png

Supported!

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Plus, @leafan mentioned that "spaceport" seen there shows up in the background of the box art for Benny's Space Squad set! :excited:

Thanks, @Digger of Bricks, I'm so excited about these possibilities.

1 hour ago, rodiziorobs said:

Fantastic review, @Captain Mutant! The text is clear and the pictures do a good job showing off parts as well as build techniques. Thanks for posting and linking here.

Thank you very much @rodiziorobs, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was so excited by this build I felt I just had to put electron pen to electron paper. :)