LegoMonorailFan

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, badgerboy said:

I've still got my fingers crossed for some sort of revival of the theme based on the LEGO movie sequel or as part of the 40th anniversary... I'm prepared for disappointment though.

Whether or not we'll end up seeing more Classic Space material represented in set lines for 2019's two cinematic movies (for The Lego Movie sequel though, it's more likely than not), I definitely have high hopes for both of them irregardless, since the set lines for the last three cinematic movies did not disappoint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, when did we hear of our first rumors for 2014's Ultra Agents theme? While I remember first hearing rumors of the theme from news sites back in early January 2014, were there any earlier whisperings of it before?

Why I'm asking, is because I'm just wondering if it may be too late at this point in the game to hear of any rumors of a new theme slatted for summer next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a guy in this set with a red Rock Raiders helmet: https://brickset.com/sets/70921-1/Harley-Quinn-Cannonball-Attack. Could be cool for a Rock Raiders - M-tron crossover.

On 6-12-2017 at 11:49 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, when did we hear of our first rumors for 2014's Ultra Agents theme? While I remember first hearing rumors of the theme from news sites back in early January 2014, were there any earlier whisperings of it before?

Why I'm asking, is because I'm just wondering if it may be too late at this point in the game to hear of any rumors of a new theme slatted for summer next year.

Honestly, no idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 4:25 AM, Exetrius said:

There's a guy in this set with a red Rock Raiders helmet: https://brickset.com/sets/70921-1/Harley-Quinn-Cannonball-Attack. Could be cool for a Rock Raiders - M-tron crossover.

Hmm, I'd like to see how that would look. It's cool to see that helmet made use of after all these years.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:25 AM, Exetrius said:

Honestly, no idea. 

Well, I hope there's still something on the horizon, but we do already know of a few new and/or returning themes for next year; but unfortunately, they're all licensed ones with the exception of a still unconfirmed in-house "constraction" theme. :sceptic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone might be considering purchasing the City theme's flagship Mining set for that Light Bluish Grey rollercoaster track to use in your Classic Space creations, you just might want to wait a little longer.

Floating around Instagram is a leaked image of an extraordinary Creator set with a plentiful amount of rollercoaster track in that color, and also, it has a heavy Classic Pirates theme to it. If that tells you anything about the future of the Creator theme... :wink:

So make of it what you will, but here are also the leaked, roughly translated names of summer's line of Creator sets.

  1. 31077 Universe Surprises
  2. 31083 Ship Adventures
  3. 31084 Pirates' Rollercoaster
  4. 31085 Fallingwater Show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if we've touched upon the setting yet. Is there any backdrop you prefer for a space theme? Some examples:

  • Deep space
  • Asteroid field
  • Moonscape
  • Mars-like
  • Frozen world
  • Sand dunes
  • Gas clouds
  • Volcanic
  • Aqueous
  • Underground

I'm leaning towards Mars-like or Sand dunes because those would be least hostile for space explorers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Lego does return with an in-house Space theme, I guess it would be preferable if it took a classic approach and made its setting on either a moonscape or on Mars.

But, in this current Star Wars dominated landscape, Lego really should try something that doesn't clash with Star Wars in similarities. So, I think that a mining based Space theme with either a underground or volcanic setting could work well, only this time it would have more helmets and canopies instead of rollbar cages like Rock Raiders had done. Give the mining vehicles a Trans-green, Red, and Black color scheme, and you've got yourselves a M-Tron homage theme there! :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

When Lego does return with an in-house Space theme, I guess it would be preferable if it took a classic approach and made its setting on either a moonscape or on Mars.

But, in this current Star Wars dominated landscape, Lego really should try something that doesn't clash with Star Wars in similarities. So, I think that a mining based Space theme with either a underground or volcanic setting could work well, only this time it would have more helmets and canopies instead of rollbar cages like Rock Raiders had done. Give the mining vehicles a Trans-green, Red, and Black color scheme, and you've got yourselves a M-Tron homage theme there! :wink:

:thumbup:

And power miners did very well when it was around, so mining in space is perfect for a space theme IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone following this topic may be wondering if Creator will have something in store for Space come summer, there will not be unfortunately. Besides the previously leaked Pirates themed rollercoaster, the other four sets will be of a yacht, a modular pastry shop, a treehouse, and a monster truck show truck. I'm not saying they're bad sets, only that they aren't Space sets. :sceptic:

On 1/19/2018 at 4:26 AM, Exetrius said:

Is there any backdrop you prefer for a space theme? Some examples:

One setting I just thought of that you didn't have listed is for a jungle based backdrop. As odd as that may sound at first, just think of James Cameron's Avatar for instance. Perhaps a Space theme with such a setting could kind of be a blend of traditional Space themes and Lego's Adventurers theme, with intergalactic explorers coming upon the ruins of a moon's ancient civilization. :shrug_oh_well:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been meaning to reply to this for a couple of weeks now... 

@LegoMonorailFan@Digger of Bricks Thanks for your feedback about the setting! :thumbup: 

On 21-1-2018 at 5:54 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

One setting I just thought of that you didn't have listed is for a jungle based backdrop. As odd as that may sound at first, just think of James Cameron's Avatar for instance. Perhaps a Space theme with such a setting could kind of be a blend of traditional Space themes and Lego's Adventurers theme, with intergalactic explorers coming upon the ruins of a moon's ancient civilization. :shrug_oh_well:

Exo-force also had a Jungle setting in one of its waves, indeed. But for a space theme, you will then likely be stuck with very small aircraft and large, ground-based deforestation machines, I fear. Maybe for the villains faction? :wink:

The thought of a Space and Adventurers crossover theme, or big bang theme if you will, has crossed my mind too! I think this is a fantastic idea! The theme would not be confined to one setting and antagonist group, but instead explore a wide range of places throughout the galaxy. :sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Exo-force also had a Jungle setting in one of its waves, indeed. But for a space theme, you will then likely be stuck with very small aircraft and large, ground-based deforestation machines, I fear. Maybe for the villains faction? :wink:

Well, one idea I've proposed here on this topic before, is a storyline focused upon a intergalactic exploration crew who discover a forested moon, who's native inhabitants are under siege from an extraterrestrial invading army. In response, the exploration crew join forces with the moon's natives to help fight back against the invaders. It's sort of like James Cameron's Avatar, but only this time with humans as allies of the natives.

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

The thought of a Space and Adventurers crossover theme, or big bang theme if you will, has crossed my mind too! I think this is a fantastic idea! The theme would not be confined to one setting and antagonist group, but instead explore a wide range of places throughout the galaxy. :sweet:

Kind of like Star Trek in a way, with many possibilities for a long life span (Live Long and Prosper, if you will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I've been meaning to reply to this for a couple of weeks now... 

@LegoMonorailFan@Digger of Bricks Thanks for your feedback about the setting! :thumbup: 

Exo-force also had a Jungle setting in one of its waves, indeed. But for a space theme, you will then likely be stuck with very small aircraft and large, ground-based deforestation machines, I fear. Maybe for the villains faction? :wink:

The thought of a Space and Adventurers crossover theme, or big bang theme if you will, has crossed my mind too! I think this is a fantastic idea! The theme would not be confined to one setting and antagonist group, but instead explore a wide range of places throughout the galaxy. :sweet:

I think the Space Adventurers idea would work very well! 

(BTW @Exetrius & @Digger of Bricks, thanks for keeping this topic alive. :cry_happy: :grin:)

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Kind of like Star Trek in a way, with many possibilities for a long life span (Live Long and Prosper, if you will).

 Well put. :laugh: :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think our best bet for a non-war based Space theme with good colors is a Minidoll "girl" theme. And as much as I prefer minifigs over minidolls, I'd buy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Thanks for keeping this topic alive.

As always, to keep the hopes and awareness of Space themed Creator sets alive and relevant! :classic:

4 hours ago, danth said:

I'm starting to think our best bet for a non-war based Space theme with good colors is a Minidoll "girl" theme. 

Well, not to say that all minidoll themes lack conflict, as both Elves and DC SuperHeroes Girls feature adversaries. But, I do think that a minidoll Space theme lacking conflict isn't therefore out of the question, though that may be how it will turn out in the end anyway.

4 hours ago, danth said:

And as much as I prefer minifigs over minidolls, I'd buy it. 

Same here, and if such a theme will end up supplying us with new canopy recolors, than I wouldn't mind if the theme lacks minifigures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, one idea I've proposed here on this topic before, is a storyline focused upon a intergalactic exploration crew who discover a forested moon, who's native inhabitants are under siege from an extraterrestrial invading army. In response, the exploration crew join forces with the moon's natives to help fight back against the invaders. It's sort of like James Cameron's Avatar, but only this time with humans as allies of the natives.

So, like Endor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, x105Black said:

So, like Endor?

Sure, I suppose like that too, kind of. 

By forested moon, I guess I had more in mind something of a jungle-like planet resembling Avatar's Pandora, as opposed to a redwood covered moon like Episode VI's Endor. Also, the extraterrestrial invaders would not be human like the explorers are, where the invaders' primary focus was upon conquering that moon until the arrival and intervention of the human explorers. What would be cool about such a Space theme, is that it would feature both good and bad non-humans, good extraterrestrials only being seen once in 2001's Life on Mars theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drclark said:

Hopefully this a pre-cursor to some sort of in-house space theme revival.

Well, I don't think that this contest would necessarily be indicative of a new Space theme on the horizon, only perhaps that Lego is aware of our lamentations of the lack thereof.

But, it certainly is exciting, and there are a good handful of excellent entries that I hope are considered. I'd like to see what entries may have caught your eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drclark said:

Well there is an ideas contest for a space-themed give-away gift set going on now.

 

Hopefully this a pre-cursor to some sort of in-house space theme revival.

 

Wasn't there a rumor that the following LEGO Movie would go into space? Regardless, I could see a revival theme happening with:

  • Saturn V and other space-related projects turning out to be succesful
  • Lack of an original space theme for years
  • SpaceX doing cool stuff right now (space as a more mainstream topic)
  • Occasional easter eggs in CMF, TLM, Exo Suit, LEGO Worlds and DK books have probably increased the awareness for and fanbase of Classic Space.
  • LEGO's anniversary

 

Oh btw, I've been working on a Classic Space Ideas project, it's almost finished! :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Wasn't there a rumor that the following LEGO Movie would go into space?

As Chris McKay, director of The Lego Batman Movie put it early last year:

Quote

LEGO 2 is going to be this big musical and space action movie. They need a lot of the writing, a lot of development, not only with script development, but development with songwriters. So it was very ambitious to get that movie out.

I should add that "space" might be referencing the "upstairs" mentioned from the minifigure characters' perspective (a.k.a. The Man Upstairs), as the sequel's plot apparently focuses on rescuing Batman from Finn's sister's room.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Ya mean this project?! *oh2* :drool:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a45496e2-db91-477e-99de-634a14439874

-snip-

This is flipping awesome!!! Supported! Two thumbs up!

 

 Thanks! :blush: I did kind of expect this reaction given your username though... :tongue:

Anyway, this is what I envisioned when I first saw the rollercoaster track in grey. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Anyway, this is what I envisioned when I first saw the rollercoaster track in grey.

The new track system really is the closest thing we've seen currently to the old monorail system, as even normal "L-Gauge" track doesn't include inclines, so I'm certain your project will catch the eyes of Ideas staff as so to make it a staff pick. :classic:

By the way, do you have a Flickr account? If you do, and haven't already, you really should post it there to attract more attention. If you haven't a Flickr account, at least post a topic of it here on Eurobricks, simply so it won't just be buried here on this topic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.