Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Projects like the birds, while done well, hold no interest for me at all personally, and just don't pack the fun or excitement of so many other projects that garner far less support. It's one of life's mysteries.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, pombe said:

I guess what I am asking is: those IDEAS that got 10,000...what was their secret sauce?  At first I thought it was beloved themes, like Ghostbusters, The Flintstones, or Voltron, but then I see the Old Fishing Store, Birds, and Treehouse, so that's not it.  I'm left scratching my head, because I can't seem to determine which entries has their finger on the pulse of the consumer and which ones don't.

I think many - myself included - would vert much like to know,

I've seen amazing projects languishing, and - quite frankly turds - getting thousands of supporters. I just don't understand Ideas at all.

It's not so much not understanding IDEAS, per se- the concept is obvious, but more to the point, why people prefer the things they do, which often seems inconsistent with what I would expect the majority to find appealing. And yet, like you said, projects that seem fantastic garner little support, while other projects that seem less desirable for whatever reason get the votes. It's people I don't understand.

Edited by M'Kyuun

It's not only about what people like and the quality, but also about the coverage the projects receive, the person who's producing it, perhaps timing as well... so many factors that the whole is unpredictable. I mean, look at the Tesla Cybertruck, the real thing. Why did that atrocity become so popular? "Atrocity" is only subjective, but I dare claim it is what the majority of people who like cars think of it. Well, Elon Musk has a huge cult following, so that sure helps. Still, how did the LEGO Ideas submission of the Cybertruck made it to 10K; which kind of people voted for it? It's something I cannot understand, to each their own I guess. :shrug_oh_well:

We're getting off topic, aren't we? 

Hey everyone

Can I ask for a little help?

My Classic Space Outpost LEGO Ideas proposal will die in 47 days unless it gets an extra 250 supporters by then (and gain an extra 6 months as a result).

If you haven't already and think it's worth supporting, I'd be grateful if you would click on that page's big blue 'support' button :) 

Should you wish to see my project in greater detail, here's an expanded version (with all five possible configurations built and connected together), as shown at the Bristol Brick Expo last year.

Thank you :)

I love Alien Conquest and overall the themes from the late 2000's to the early 2010's, as it seems there were a lot more creative, original themes compared to the licensed themes. That's not to say licensed themes are bad, in fact, some of my favorite themes are licensed themes, but we don't have any themes anymore that last only a few years. Now, I'm sure that it's mainly because of LEGO being a company, and money is one of the more important factors when running a company, and I get that. I just would like a theme that lasts 5 years max (though preferably less), so we can get some fun sets that think outside the box of what we're getting now, and that way LEGO can experiment and see what works. I would like to see a return to more classic LEGO Space, where there are no good guys vs bad guys, and there're just explorers, or something like Alien Conquest.

A new picture of the Orange Classic Spaceman has leaked(?) and the helmet doesn't look like orange peel this time.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:43 PM, Exetrius said:

Supported. Could you give my idea a support as well? :wink:

Lovely project. I'm not usually a fan of microscale but you've done a really really nice job there, and to have it all on floating bits of rock... love it! (I might borrow that idea at some point in the future if you're ok with that... ?)

Supported.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:43 PM, xxix5 said:

I love Alien Conquest and overall the themes from the late 2000's to the early 2010's, as it seems there were a lot more creative, original themes compared to the licensed themes. That's not to say licensed themes are bad, in fact, some of my favorite themes are licensed themes, but we don't have any themes anymore that last only a few years. Now, I'm sure that it's mainly because of LEGO being a company, and money is one of the more important factors when running a company, and I get that. I just would like a theme that lasts 5 years max (though preferably less), so we can get some fun sets that think outside the box of what we're getting now, and that way LEGO can experiment and see what works. I would like to see a return to more classic LEGO Space, where there are no good guys vs bad guys, and there're just explorers, or something like Alien Conquest.

Totally agree.

I recently learned of the existence of Galaxy Squad from 2013... amazingly imaginative sets. Couldn't believe it only lasted a year. But I think that's the problem right there: most people seem to only be interested in licenses IP. Bring something original, and it rarely does well. It's a real shame.

1 hour ago, Captain Mutant said:

Lovely project. I'm not usually a fan of microscale but you've done a really really nice job there, and to have it all on floating bits of rock... love it! (I might borrow that idea at some point in the future if you're ok with that... ?)

Supported.

Thank you!! :sweet: And sure, no problem! Asteroid space base? :wink:

Just now, Exetrius said:

Thank you!! :sweet: And sure, no problem! Asteroid space base? :wink:

LOL - unlikely - already done something like that as you know ;)

I was more thinking of a crew exploring a "floating" asteroid... if I could make the support pillars strong enough, it could look really cool...

Something to think about ... :D

On 4/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, leafan said:

A new picture of the Orange Classic Spaceman has leaked(?) and the helmet doesn't look like orange peel this time.

And a YouTube video is also up:

Edited by bondp99

Is the orange Classic Spaceman confirmed to be an exclusive to this book?  I'd like to add a classic Orange Spaceman to my collection, but $40 for a minifigure is a lot :oh:  If the book is a good read, the price might be worth it though.  

7 hours ago, hagridshut said:

Is the orange Classic Spaceman confirmed to be an exclusive to this book?  I'd like to add a classic Orange Spaceman to my collection, but $40 for a minifigure is a lot :oh:  If the book is a good read, the price might be worth it though.  

I was just about to let you know those books are usually $17 when I decided to just double check. $40 dollars!?!?.. What the flying saucer are they thinking. $40 is not OK.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:10 AM, pombe said:

Why was the Exo-Suit so successful, while Peter Reid's Galactic Explorer doesn't seem to be nearly as popular (just over 2,500 votes with 64 days to go)?  (vote for it here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d30ce870-6ede-486a-9d84-bcc9b9c6b5f9).  It is an incredible MOC by an incredible AFOL dedicated to one of the most popular sets of all time.

I was wondering the same thing. Unfortunately I am afraid the answer is very simple, after so many years of enforced Sw sway, Classic Space fans' generational renewal has been lost.

9 hours ago, Gomek said:

I was just about to let you know those books are usually $17 when I decided to just double check. $40 dollars!?!?.. What the flying saucer are they thinking. $40 is not OK.

Oh wow, I didn't know that these usually cost $17 in the past.  That is good to know. 

I think that if I decide to buy the book, I will wait a couple months after release date and get it on sale if possible.  Amazon says that the book is expected to ship in October, so by Christmas season, it's possible that discounts of 20-30% will be commonplace.  $28-32 is still expensive though. 

Hello all.

I haven’t asked in a while, but I thought if I were to ask again, now’s the perfect opportunity.

My project is nearing 1,000 votes but is slowing down. It’s been slowing down for a good long while, and I’m not sure it’ll make it on its own.

If you haven’t already done so, would you be willing to add your support to it over on Ideas?

I need 123 more votes in the next 39 days (when it’d gain an extra 6 months of life).

Would you lovely people be willing to help a mutant out, add your support, and ask those you know to do the same?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8598b6d2-ecf9-45f6-b232-adbef5c306f2

I was also thinking that maybe space will return as a Ninjago subtheme? Like the Ninjago summer wave being more castle fantasy era inspired. Ninjas fighting aliens doesn't seem far-fetched at this point imo. 

On 4/9/2020 at 10:50 PM, Captain Mutant said:

Hey everyone

Can I ask for a little help?

My Classic Space Outpost LEGO Ideas proposal will die in 47 days unless it gets an extra 250 supporters by then (and gain an extra 6 months as a result).

If you haven't already and think it's worth supporting, I'd be grateful if you would click on that page's big blue 'support' button :) 

Should you wish to see my project in greater detail, here's an expanded version (with all five possible configurations built and connected together), as shown at the Bristol Brick Expo last year.

Thank you :)

Done. I really want to see a big space port from Classic Space Lego.

Just now, PBRStreetgang said:

Done. I really want to see a big space port from Classic Space Lego.

Thank you!

Wouldn't it be awesome if LEGO did that? Either that or turn my project into an actual set, of course ;)

Supported! I really like how you put together all 5 types of base to make your own scene at a show, thus being able to present at once all the variations available.  Well done!

Just now, weeble1688 said:

Supported! I really like how you put together all 5 types of base to make your own scene at a show, thus being able to present at once all the variations available.  Well done!

Thank you!

I felt I had to do that to show that my concept of connecting the various modules together worked! Plus I wasn't going to wait for the whole LEGO Ideas process to take place before I could play with my own creation ;)

I'm slowly making changes to the base now, so once we are allowed out again (will we ever), there will be more to see and enjoy :D

Edited by Captain Mutant
typo

On 4/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, hagridshut said:

Oh wow, I didn't know that these usually cost $17 in the past.  That is good to know. 

I think that if I decide to buy the book, I will wait a couple months after release date and get it on sale if possible.  Amazon says that the book is expected to ship in October, so by Christmas season, it's possible that discounts of 20-30% will be commonplace.  $28-32 is still expensive though. 

OK, so I decided to look at the page counts to see if there was something to it. Yes, the book has twice the pages, but also much more than twice the cost. ALSO as someone who likes nice books, a book that is half cardboard is super cheesey looking and a waste of space, unless you plan on hiding something in there. I could always justify $15 on a nice figure, but $40 is excessive.

Star Wars - HC 160 pages - $14.79

DC Super Heroes - HC 128 pages - $15.39

Ninjago - HC 128 pages - $17.67

Nijago Secret world - HC 96 pages - $13.11

Lego Minifigure - HC 256 pages - $40

On 4/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, Captain Mutant said:

I think many - myself included - would vert much like to know, 

I've seen amazing projects languishing, and - quite frankly turds - getting thousands of supporters. I just don't understand Ideas at all.

I think it's really a case by case basis,

For example, the exo-suit capitalized on the classic space fans (and people like me who had the Master Builder Academy), while the Fishing Store and similar products aimed for people who enjoy Creator, but want something more substantial. Pirates of Barracuda Bay got through thanks to the efforts of the Pirates people. Sokoda's "The Legend of the Bionicle" got through in record time on the backs of the Bionicle fandom, (and oboeshoes viewers).

It all depends on who it's aiming at, and if that group has a big enough lego community or subcommunity to break through. (Good advertising helps too, as Sokoda's project proves)