Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

That patronus deer mold is complex enough and I doubt that's just for 1 set.

That looks like it may be the same mold as seen in the Frozen line.

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

That looks like it may be the same mold as seen in the Frozen line.

It's definately not the same as the 2016 Frozen mold 6135297 .

The new one has only 2 studs, with room for a minifig saddle, while Frozen uses the "Friends" style 2x2 studs.

7 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I could easily see a Lovecraftian horror monster reusing some of the molds introduced for Hidden Side like the clawed, torn wing pieces used in the high school or the tentacle pieces used in the boat. Possibly the CMF Faun legs as well.

Huh, good call on the Hidden Side wingpack reusage idea. :thumbup:

7 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I always thought that the closest Lego got to Cthulhu inspired aesthetic in a production minifig was the Atlantis Squid Warrior.

That figure's headpiece would look a little creepier recolored for such a CMF compared to the Series 13 Alien Trooper's head, especially with its more textured forehead and inset eye sockets, vaguely similar to this artist's impression:

Cthulhu in the mist by NathanRosario

wow love the image! Interesting note: the original design for my alien species also included wings! Making the design extremely similar. I’ve got the sketch on my computer somewhere. Will have to find it and post it here. Hopefully tomorrow. 

The Brick Fan - LEGO City Mars Exploration Rocket Transport (60229) Official Set Images

LEGO City Rocket Transport (60229)

On 4/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, Captain Mutant said:

Interesting note: the original design for my alien species also included wings! Making the design extremely similar. I’ve got the sketch on my computer somewhere. Will have to find it and post it here. Hopefully tomorrow.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, Captain Mutant said:

Found it ? 

Huh, I guess they really did seem to have Cthulhu in mind when designing that CMF... :oh3:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I’m really liking this new space theme - although maybe a tad too earthbound. Can’t wait to see them in the flesh - so to speak.

btw, that space logo... I thought it’d been used before, but now can’t find any previous set with it. Can anyone with more knowledge confirm or deny this?

That's a well-designed rocket transport set, nice mix of interesting vehicles and still have structures as well.

The rocket itself has a bit of Soyuz feel, at least the back half with the engines, and it uses the same color scheme as a Soyuz as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Captain Mutant said:

btw, that space logo... I thought it’d been used before, but now can’t find any previous set with it. Can anyone with more knowledge confirm or deny this?

According to my own memory, I'm pretty sure the logo's all-new for this subtheme of City's. Perhaps it's familiar from elsewhere outside of Lego? :shrug_confused:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

According to my own memory, I'm pretty sure the logo's all-new for this subtheme of City's. Perhaps it's familiar from elsewhere outside of Lego? :shrug_confused:

I think you're likely right - I might've been thinking of the logo from sets such as this one: https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/product/Spaceport-60080 (I have no idea how to embed images in a comment - would be so much easier - sorry for being a noob)

it's weird that the new logo looks so familiar to me... and yet isn't. Don't know where I'd have seen it elsewhere...

I'm quite certain I know where Lego is drawing inspiration for this theme, and probably why @Captain Mutant sees the logo as so familiar. A simple image search for the movie The Martian is all you might need to agree with me. Just look at this promotional image.

2011 City-Space logo latest?cb=20110707161324

The same logo of 2015 space was also used for the 2017 Creator set figure : 

twn303.png

This 2019 logo basicly is flipped and the red/blue was changed to orange.

It's not 100% the same but very similar in style

To me the 2011, 2015 and 2019 City Space logos look like variations on the Classic Space logo  (space shuttle shaped craft with a streak and a planet-like background)

1995 and 1999 Town used a Space Shuttle icon as logo (red blue border in 1995, yellow border in 1999)

Edited by TeriXeri

Maybe I’m an old mutant but the original truly is the best. It’s a planet with a ship swooshing past it, and it also looks like Saturn, a faraway planet, propelling the sense of adventure and pioneering exploration.

All the others feel more contained IMHO. And this recent one, is close, but it looks like the ship’s a zipper lol

1 hour ago, Captain Mutant said:

Maybe I’m an old mutant but the original truly is the best. It’s a planet with a ship swooshing past it, and it also looks like Saturn, a faraway planet, propelling the sense of adventure and pioneering exploration.

All the others feel more contained IMHO. And this recent one, is close, but it looks like the ship’s a zipper lol

Personally I quite like the variety. I've often imagined the Classic Space-esque logos for City's space subthemes as analogous to NASA's various mission patches (and the game Lego City Undercover treated them similarly). And their more "contained" appearance struck me as appropriate for "near-Earth" missions that are overseen from a home base on planet Earth. I also like the sort of implication that conceptually, these patches might be seen as precursors to the eventual Classic Space logo in the far future of Lego City.

58 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Personally I quite like the variety. I've often imagined the Classic Space-esque logos for City's space subthemes as analogous to NASA's various mission patches (and the game Lego City Undercover treated them similarly). And their more "contained" appearance struck me as appropriate for "near-Earth" missions that are overseen from a home base on planet Earth. I also like the sort of implication that conceptually, these patches might be seen as precursors to the eventual Classic Space logo in the far future of Lego City.

I like your train of thought :)

BTW anyone know when these sets will be released?

Just now, Captain Mutant said:

BTW anyone know when these sets will be released?

Should be June 1st.

Edited by TeriXeri

Okay the Rocket Transport (base) seals the deal for me.  Best City-spaceport theme ever.  It looks like the sections from the Moon Base (space station) and the Rocket Base can be swapped out with those from the Rocket Transport (base).  That kind of modularization is awesome.  If that works the way it looks, I predict multiple purchases in my future. :excited:

My biggest complaint would be the trans-light blue visors on the main astronaut suits.  Why not gold?  If they really wanted to keep the color scheme metallic blue.  The old chrome visors would look amazing.

Edited by Lord Insanity
fixed typo

10 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

My biggest complaint would be the trans-light blue visors on the main astronaut suits.  Why not gold?  If they really wanted to keep the color scheme metallic blue.  The old chrome visors would look amazing.

4 sets have astronauts with golden visors, mostly depicted as the ones that do spacewalks (heavier backpacks)

I think having some variation with the trans light blue visors being for like Mars Surface exploration or on-board vehicles is fine.

There's 1 figure with orange visor in the People Pack, sort of depicted like a statue/memorial, of course he could function as a regular figure too.

Edited by TeriXeri

I can see the similarities among the different logos. It seems to depict there is some progress to the City Space subtheme.

As already pointed out, the earlier Town Space logo used the Shuttle Icon that looks pretty static (1995, 1999) , then in 2011 and 2015 they used Space Shuttle orbiting Earth with stars in black background. In 2019 we only see a forward-looking logo still using a planet and shuttle but this time in orange (which is complementary to blue). Although this time, the shuttle seems to be going further outside the planet's orbit.

To me, the new space logo it very reminiscent of the classic space logo more than the older City logo. 

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

4 sets have astronauts with golden visors, mostly depicted as the ones that do spacewalks (heavier backpacks)

I think having some variation with the trans light blue visors being for like Mars Surface exploration or on-board vehicles is fine.

There's 1 figure with orange visor in the People Pack, sort of depicted like a statue/memorial, of course he could function as a regular figure too.

Honestly I didn't really think about the whole flight suit versus EVA suit.  I guess I was looking at these through too much sci-fi filter in terms of what I can use for Space builds.

That said I still think trans-light blue is the wrong color.  Should be trans-gray or solid black.  That would match real flight suits far closer.

Since I was about 8 years old I have never liked trans-light blue as a window, windscreen, and/or visor color.  I remember when trans-gray first came out I practically did a dance of joy at now having a "real" color for tinted windows.  (I do really like trans-light blue for crystals, lightning, water, ice, and such I just hate it as a window color.)

I am really glad the actual space vehicles and structures in this new theme use trans-gray for their main window color.  I understand the decision to use trans-light blue on the Earth based buildings and vehicles.  The visors on the astronauts' flight suits just sticks out as being wrong in that context as I would expect them to match the space stuff not the Earth stuff.  Of course the beauty of Lego is that I can just use some extra chrome blue visors from the Life on Mars theme.  :grin:

On 4/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like the head is Bright Green and lacking forehead prints this time around rather than Bright Yellowish Green.

lego_city_space_port_60230_personenset_-_ruimteonderzoek_2.jpg

P.S. Tell me, does it look like the Light Blue spaceman standing atop the rock has a Classic Space logo center torso? :shrug_confused:

Not quite. Its the new logo but its hard to tell in that picture

Space People Pack.JPG

On 5/2/2019 at 11:35 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The Brick Fan - LEGO City Mars Exploration Rocket Transport (60229) Official Set Images

LEGO City Rocket Transport (60229)

Huh, I guess they really did seem to have Cthulhu in mind when designing that CMF... :oh3:

Is it just me or does anyone else thing the repair servicing centre should be enclosed?? Love the rocket and launcher!!

It would be nice if it were enclosed, but then they wouldn't be able to fit it in with the price point they had to meet.  I'm happy they included it, even if it is more a vignette than a building.

15 minutes ago, icm said:

It would be nice if it were enclosed, but then they wouldn't be able to fit it in with the price point they had to meet.  I'm happy they included it, even if it is more a vignette than a building.

I guess I am just a little confused? Is this is supposed to be part of a Mars base?? Some figures have helmets,...one building is enclosed and there seems to be a bit sampling. But on the other hand one building is open and some figures are dressed up,.....non-space fashion?? 

Is this new City theme on Mars?? I mean the theme is called LEGO City Mars Exploration sets??

Edited by PBRStreetgang