Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

10 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

That ship looks really impressive - unlike Rex's Rexplorer which looks like a tank mated with a shoebox :/ 

I think the Rexplorer’s absurd boxiness is very deliberate, to accentuate Rex’s ludicrously rugged masculinity, compared to the more elegant, curvy streamlined style of the Sistar System ships.

As best I can tell from the trailers one of the big parts of Emmet’s emotional journey in this movie will be having to choose whether to stay true to his sensitive, idealistic, lovable goofball self (even at the cost of feeling and looking manly or heroic) or try to become more like Rex — the kind of macho, edgy, thrill-seeking, risk-taking action hero that he thinks his Master Builder friends would prefer him to be.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:44 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I could see a Bright Red Classic Spaceman with the new helmet someday appearing as a commemorative CMF (similar to the Series 18 Classic Policeman CMF), perhaps with a 2 by 3 tile printed with the LL928 Galaxy Explorer's box art. :shrug_oh_well:

If one appears in TLM2 I'm almost certain it'll be in that film's CMF line! Given that it seems like most of the film will be in the company of Mini-dolls, Duplo monsters or things called "Plantimals" and I doubt they'll have a line of just Apocalypse-burg citizens. 

On 4/19/2017 at 5:27 PM, x105Black said:

I find City to be boring as well, for the same reasons.  But the general population lacks imagination and creativity, therefore rooting a theme in something they know means that they can relate.  Aside from that, others just like City because most stories are told in present day.  There are also many fans of superheroes, and City acts as a nice supplement to Marvel and DC storytelling.

Back to the topic, I'm a much bigger fan of Classic Space.  I'd love to see something like what was described above, a hybrid Space theme.  Put Classic Space, M-Tron, Blacktron, and Space Police together in a theme as different factions and have them interact.  That could be really cool.

Well, Peter Reid and his friends have a vast universe and a book. It's my favourite LEGO thing in general.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, Robert8 said:

70821_box1_v39.jpg?itok=C1v7wOpx&timestamp=154273045570841_box1_v29.jpg?itok=tuPERd_n&timestamp=1542733363

Oh wow! What a treat! 

On 4/17/2017 at 7:00 AM, anothergol said:

Personally, I love Classic Space, but Galaxy Squad isn't Classic Space.
Classic Space has aged very well, it now has a naive, adorable look. What came after it still screams 90's, to me. I don't much like any of them, except Space Police 3 for some reason, probably the fact that this theme had more background story, and the bad guys were more the heroes than the police.

Of course, I grew up with Classic Space, I got a few Futuron sets, but no Blacktron & the rest. I can imagine those who grew up with these themes loving them.

I think the original and "classic" subthemes are:

Classic Space

Futuron

Blacktron 1 & 2

Mtron

Space Police 1 & 2 & 3

Maybe Spyrius & Unitron

Everything after that is not in the same universe. (At least in my timeline)

Edited by GameyRaccoon

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Anyone noticed that one of the alternate builds of 31086 is a Vic Viper?

YES! I believe that may be a first for the Creator theme, as there has never been a Sci-Fi spacecraft of any sort represented within either the Three-In-One or Expert subthemes. I mean, we've had plenty of robots and/or mecha over the years as Three-In-One sets, but never any sort of fantastical spacecraft. :sweet:

LEGO Creator Futuristic Flyer (31086)

Edited by Digger of Bricks

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

YES! I believe that may be a first for the Creator theme, as there has never been a Sci-Fi spacecraft of any sort represented within either the Three-In-One or Expert subthemes. I mean, we've had plenty of robots and/or mecha over the years as Three-In-One sets, but never any sort of fantastical spacecraft. :sweet:

I was pretty sure we've had SOME before but after doing a quick Google search I couldn't find anything so maybe I'm misremembering! :shrug_oh_well:

Either way it's nice to get one now!

Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

Either way it's nice to get one now!

For me, it's more about representation for fantastical spacecraft making its way into a theme that isn't exclusively constrained to a particular subject matter or setting. That's the beauty of the Creator theme compared to other lines, yet it is soooo underutilized, never taking advantage of its fullest potential.

6 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For me, it's more about representation for fantastical spacecraft making its way into a theme that isn't exclusively constrained to a particular subject matter or setting. That's the beauty of the Creator theme compared to other lines, yet it is soooo underutilized, never taking advantage of its fullest potential.

I know, usually it's just city stuff either in microscale or with more interesting concepts and builds. It's nice to get this stuff of course but as you said it's not taking advantage of its fullest potential. Imagine if they did this sorta thing more often, you could have a spaceship, a saloon and a dentist's office in the same end cap!

2 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I know, usually it's just city stuff either in microscale or with more interesting concepts and builds. It's nice to get this stuff of course but as you said it's not taking advantage of its fullest potential. Imagine if they did this sorta thing more often, you could have a spaceship, a saloon and a dentist's office in the same end cap!

Not mention, as I've expressed countless times before elsewhere, the Creator theme can be a haven for an infinite number of homeless themes and genres. That encompasses Castle, Space, Pirates, and so many other lines and settings that currently don't have a place or never had to begin with within Lego's lineup. This is, after all, where this very discussion topic started off! :wink:

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Not mention, as I've expressed countless times before elsewhere, the Creator theme can be a haven for an infinite number of homeless themes and genres. That encompasses Castle, Space, Pirates, and so many other lines and settings that currently don't have a place or never had to begin with within Lego's lineup. This is, after all, where this very discussion topic started off! :wink:

It's a shame they don't take this idea on board. 

With the existence of Overwatch and new LEGO Movie 2 sets. I think space and sci-fi is very alive even without the banner theme "Classic Space".

I'm very excited for 2019. :)

On 11/26/2018 at 6:51 PM, makoy said:

With the existence of Overwatch and new LEGO Movie 2 sets. I think space and sci-fi is very alive even without the banner theme "Classic Space".

I'm very excited for 2019. :)

And Star Wars IX

------

2019 will be a treat for Sci-Fi fans. The LEGO Movie 2 alone has 3 differents genres/styles of space themes (Benny-Sweet Mayhem-Rex)

Edited by Robert8

On 11/25/2018 at 5:43 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Robots and dragons. But yeah, that is unquestionably a spaceship, which (like you said) is a first in Creator. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Mutant said:

What about this set?

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/product/Space-Shuttle-Explorer-31066

yes it’s a traditional US space shuttle but it’s a sci-fi setting with a base somewhere on a planet. 

I agree that set 2 alternate builds are much closer to Classic Space then that 2019 "spaceship", because Classic space was all about scanning the ground and analyzing samples and such.

Those 2 alternate builds both have something that suggest scanners or ground analysis.

The blue panels on the vehicle can be imagined as either solar panels, or even lowered all the way down to the ground to suggest some sort of ground radar/xray.

Also Benny's Space Squad even reinforces that the idea of ground scanning still exists because they include a metal detector like minfig tool like they also used back then.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Captain Mutant said:

What about this set?

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/product/Space-Shuttle-Explorer-31066

yes it’s a traditional US space shuttle but it’s a sci-fi setting with a base somewhere on a planet. 

Sure, it's a small step; but, a Starfighter is much more of a giant leap for Science Fiction into the Creator theme, if you will. :grin:

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, it's a small step; but, a Starfighter is much more of a giant leap for Science Fiction into the Creator theme, if you will. :grin:

If I nitpick I'd say robots been part of the theme for a while now, but a Spaceship definately is a new direction. :laugh:

2011 had Rescue Robot / RoboCat / LaserBot builds

2017 had Robo Explorer / RoboDog / RoboBird builds

2019 certainly been the biggest steps to hi-tech and sci-fi, with the Jet/Mech/Spaceship in 1 set, and a Underwater Robot in another & both set have a great part selection for building more jets/mechs.

I see at least 6 ratcheted ball joints in that underwater robot alone.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/15/2018 at 1:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

What this video isn't showing is the nasty injection mark at the top of the helmets. I can live with the helmets not being "genuine" (even the original ones have several moulds), but they could have spared us the mark..

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

If I nitpick I'd say robots been part of the theme for a while now, but a Spaceship definately is a new direction. :laugh:

Let me nitpick even more by pointing out the fact that the theme had robots as early as 2003, for the record: 15 years ago! Quite a long while if you ask me... :tongue:

Anyway, it's really cool to see these Classic Space sets, and the introduction of a pink spaceman. Let's hope TLM2 has a larger CS set in pipeline, one space base with monorail is all I'm asking. :innocent: 

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Let me nitpick even more by pointing out the fact that the theme had robots as early as 2003, for the record: 15 years ago! Quite a long while if you ask me... :tongue:

Oh yeah, now I see that, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008  all had some form of robots/mech set(s), with the 2004 TitanXP being the biggest Creator Mech by far.  (784 pieces)

I just didn't look that far back before.

Edited by TeriXeri