Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

4 minutes ago, badgerboy said:

^ I was just going to post that too! :classic:

It's just a tease though, I need a whole sheet of them!

They're probably pretty tiny too, which is a good thing! :classic:

I thought of this thread when I saw TBB's review...

From what I can see that set is one heck of a parts pack, definitely going to pick up a few of it if possible (and I have very little interest in BrickHeadz). The Blacktron stickers? icing on the cake. I also love that they are clear water slide decals. Awesome.

3 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I thought of this thread when I saw TBB's review...

From what I can see that set is one heck of a parts pack, definitely going to pick up a few of it if possible (and I have very little interest in BrickHeadz). The Blacktron stickers? icing on the cake. I also love that they are clear water slide decals. Awesome.

These are clear stickers aren't they, not waterslide decals.

You know guys, I think there's a good chance that we just might see our first teaser trailer for the sequel to The Lego Movie some time next week. Its co-writter Chris Miller (co-director for the first movie) promoted it on Twitter yesterday in anticipation of the release of Ready Player One.

Screen Rant - LEGO Movie 2 Co-Writer Pokes Fun At Ready Player One

Back in late March of 2016, we saw our first teaser for The Lego Batman Movie attached to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice; so there may be a possibility that we'll have our first look at the sequel if its teaser may be attached to Ready Player One, which is releasing around the same time as BvS did back in 2016. 

Again, this teaser release is just a hunch of mine, but we may see very soon here how spacey this sequel will be if our first look is right around the corner. If the teaser doesn't show that off immediately, then I think the movie may not be as spaced-up as we hope it will be.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:08 AM, Exetrius said:

Best of the bunch, IMO.

I agree completely.  It's the only one I'm interested in having.

By the way, it looks like the new GoKart subtheme for summer's Friends sets has introduced a new helmet mold with an attached ponytail. Many of the sets within the subtheme offer the new part in a lot of different helmet/hair color combinations, but I'm just wondering if Spacers will at all be interested in it. :shrug_oh_well:

Here's a particularly better look at the helmet in this set picture:

Drifting-Diner-41349

7 hours ago, Artanis I said:

It wouldn't be an airtight suit then, would it...

Probably not. :grin: but still cool!

Edit: "Cool". Get it? :wink:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

15 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Female astronauts with ponytail showing? Heck yes! :grin: 

Now you made me interested on that piece! Youuu! :grin:

8 hours ago, Artanis I said:

No, of course not, but I'd imagine these helmets would work well for a Pulp/Fantasy Space Heroine archetype who typically don't conform to the physics of outer space. :laugh:

1 hour ago, makoy said:

Now you made me interested on that piece! Youuu! :grin:

Got any ideas in mind for how you're going to make reusage of it? :classic:

If I can get that helmet in a gunmetal color, it would work really well for a Castle minifigure.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

No, of course not, but I'd imagine these helmets would work well for a Pulp/Fantasy Space Heroine archetype who typically don't conform to the physics of outer space. :laugh:

10 hours ago, Artanis I said:

^^This serves an acceptable explanation. :grin: 

^It could work on an alien planet that has a similar climate and atmosphere as earth, but lacks oxygen or has a certain airborne chemical (which doesn't affect skin). A bit like diving: in shallow waters you opt for a suit that is more mobile and has a breathing apparatus, instead of a completely airtight deep sea diving suit. :classic:

Other than that: mecha pilots and speeder bikers.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I have been stringing together a figbarf for a Friends in Space theme with this conceit. The problem with helmets for minifigs on minidolls is that the mouths on 'dolls are so much lower they are inevitably are covered up. This necessitates open-chin helmets, so this piece is a small miracle for me. I hope this go-kart subtheme reproduces it in lots of colors, bright and dark.

Edited by rodiziorobs
grmmar, speling; punctution (the usual) :wink:

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

If I can get that helmet in a gunmetal color, it would work really well for a Castle minifigure.

By clipping a knight's visor onto it? Sure, but, I believe this new helmet isn't completely smooth, as it looks to have a slight degree of molded texturing atop it. Perhaps it may not inhibit a visor anyway, or it'll just depend upon what sort of visor part it may be.

6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Other than that: mecha pilots and speeder bikers.

Ah, mecha pilots! :thumbup: :smug:

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, apart from female astronauts with ponytail, they could be used for more  colourful variants of Galaxy Squad.

On another new part related note, I can easily picture the snowmobile piece from 60195 being repurposed for space speeders.

With Nexo Knights on its way out, though, the summer stuff we've seen so far hasn't offered as many parts with obvious hints at their potential in a future Space theme as we'd been seeing. Ninjago's new wave has sci-fi leanings but in more of a grungy, dieselpunk way, and most of the new parts there are blades and headgear without an overtly futuristic look. Haven't seen much that screams to me "that's cockpit glass" or "that's a rocket engine" or "that's a spacecraft wing" or "that's a laser gun". That said, it remains true that practically any piece can find a use in Space MOCs. Plus, the Space theme has a long tradition of repurposing parts from other themes that were not overtly "spacey" in and of themselves.

Edited by Aanchir

On 5/6/2018 at 7:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

By clipping a knight's visor onto it? Sure, but, I believe this new helmet isn't completely smooth, as it looks to have a slight degree of molded texturing atop it. Perhaps it may not inhibit a visor anyway, or it'll just depend upon what sort of visor part it may be.

Yes, this is what I imagine.  Finding the right combination may be a challenge, but once that is accomplished it's just a matter of getting the pieces in the correct colors.

On 7-5-2018 at 2:27 AM, Aanchir said:

On another new part related note, I can easily picture the snowmobile piece from 60195 being repurposed for space speeders.

They have tracks, right? I forsee little Tachikoma tanks. :wink:

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

Yes, this is what I imagine.  Finding the right combination may be a challenge, but once that is accomplished it's just a matter of getting the pieces in the correct colors.

Aaron's visor should work. Wait a minute.. Nexo Knights gender bend figs incoming! :grin:

76112-1.jpg

Is this a new trans red canopy? :sweet:

Also, though not really on topic, have you guys read this article on New Elementary: http://www.newelementary.com/2018/05/peter-reid-space-turtle-legoloverman.html? Gives a really neat example of how a MOC concept can gain a universe worth of lore and evolve with it, also with the help of new elements released through the years.

Btw, I redesigned my signature. :classic:

I think that canopy appears in the Flying Fox set from Justice League (link).

4 hours ago, icm said:

I think that canopy appears in the Flying Fox set from Justice League (link).

Actually, the RC Arkham Batmobile will be the fourth set since 2014 to feature the canopy in that color:

Bricklink - Windscreen 6×6×2 Canopy (87606)

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Also, though not really on topic, have you guys read this article on New Elementary: http://www.newelementary.com/2018/05/peter-reid-space-turtle-legoloverman.html

Yes, but have you also seen that blog's latest post? :sweet:

New Elementary - Fan Media Days Are Approaching! 

Apparently, those at New Elementary are sending over Are J. Heiseldal (a.k.a. @L@go) to Billund, Denmark to potentially talk with Lego designers/design teams; so, New Elementary would like readers to submit any questions they may have so Are may ask those questions to designers attending!

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Btw, I redesigned my signature. :classic:

The nighttime backlighting looks pretty cool! :grin: