Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Hey Captain Mutant - I understand the enthusiasm for your lego ideas project but you just posted a link to it in this same thread 6 posts ago and in the "letter to lego space" thread at the same time.  I am not certain of this forum's rules on self-promotion of lego ideas projects is, but continuing to direct threads discussing classic space to your project might be viewed as bad form by some.

drc

Yeah. I had a feeling I might’ve overstepped the bounds. But all I saw were people lamenting the loss of LEGO space sets and no matter how many times I tried to make them feel better by pointing out this potential option, they didn’t pick up on it. 

It was as though my posts were under some kind of cloaking device. 

I’ll try and calm down...

25 minutes ago, Captain Mutant said:

Yeah. I had a feeling I might’ve overstepped the bounds. But all I saw were people lamenting the loss of LEGO space sets and no matter how many times I tried to make them feel better by pointing out this potential option, they didn’t pick up on it. 

It was as though my posts were under some kind of cloaking device. 

I’ll try and calm down...

Put your project into your signature. That will help it gain some attention. :classic:

@Captain Mutant I understand how you feel. I've seen my own supporter growth has been reduced to almost zero for the past week, which is frustrating. Reaching the people willing to support your idea is a tremendous challenge, but mentioning it here for the fifth time (if I counted correctly) will not do much. As suggested, put it in your signature (under "Account Settings") or take it (once more, perhaps) to Reddit, Facebook or Flickr. Or start a new and maybe even better project. 

Putting it in the signature is a great idea. Thanks Exetrius.

Yes I as I said above, I might have been a tad exuberant, but I've taken some pills for that and it shouldn't happen again.

I have a major update planned for my LEGO Ideas project which will radically change how the inside is built and looks, so I can't really stop working on it just yet.

After that, we'll see. I might retire from LEGO MOCing for a while... it's an expensive hobby.

Oh btw Exetrius, I already support your awesome project - that's because I put my vote where my mouth is and support all the best Classic Space LEGO Ideas! ;)

Edited by Captain Mutant
additional last paragraph

6 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

Guys, I want a new LEGO space theme as much as the mad about sci-fi AFOL (because I’m one of them!), but we might have to resign ourselves to the fact LEGO won’t fill that need. 

As long as that doesn't involve shutting up about what we want, sure.  If we don't constantly talk about what we want, LEGO will never hear it.

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Or start a new and maybe even better project. 

This is always great advice.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

As long as that doesn't involve shutting up about what we want, sure.  If we don't constantly talk about what we want, LEGO will never hear it.

But but but...if you don't like what Lego is making now...just don't buy it. See? Isn't that totally helpful and not condescending? (And totally isn't code for "if you don't like it shut up").

And yes that is sarcasm. I hate it when people say that. The whole point of internet forums is to commiserate with fellow fans.

Maybe we might have a better chance of seeing a "space-theme" if we post our designs/.lxf files on the internet and hope lepin decides to copy them....

1 minute ago, drclark said:

Maybe we might have a better chance of seeing a "space-theme" if we post our designs/.lxf files on the internet and hope lepin decides to copy them....

40615298772_64bf9a7c17.jpg

:laugh: :grin:

We recently got the Ninjago city and it is wonderful.  If Lego made a space set with the creativity and detail of this set I would probably experience euphoria.  We don't know anything about Ninjago, the set was just amazing on it's own.  If Ninjago in space is the only way we get non-starwars, I will take it.

I find the full Lego line has plenty of pieces for updating Space options.  I don't buy star wars because I a: don't care and b: don't need another billion wing pieces.

I would love them to make a space station, especially an orbital.  I would love to see how they work SNOT in zero G.

On 10/03/2018 at 1:26 AM, Juxtapoisson said:

I would love to see how they work SNOT in zero G.

I hope you are talking about Lego

Some questions about miscellaneous themes that aren't released anymore or aren't released at all. I'm referring to, for example, Classic Space or  Western themes, castles stuff like that. There are loads of things that aren't in current themes which could be released in Creator Expert. Do you consider making a castle or some Classic Space set in Expert?
We definitely considered it. And it's similar to trains. For example, the Modular Buildings are actually part of the idea that they appeal to castle fans even though it's not a castle. It's a great way to get a lot of the parts that you would need to build a castle. Maybe more so with the older ones than with the newer ones where it got a little bit more wild with the colors, but I definitely wouldn't rule out Classic LEGO Themes. One of the questions that we have though with those is like with Classic Space is, was it so popular because there was no Star Wars? I mean when that was released there was no LEGO Star Wars. So that was the best LEGO spaceship that you could have. But now you could have the UCS Snow Speeder. So then how can we sell a classic spaceship. Will it live on nostalgia alone?Actually we begun some research to try to figure out just how powerful LEGO nostalgia is. There's some hesitation to just put a lot of faith in that, but it's not out of the question.

So basically the Star Wars theme is one of the reasons that we don't have another space theme?
Probably, we don't know exactly. It's not it's not 100 percent the reason that we don't do it in Creator Expert. There's other reasons as well, but having Star Wars is a reason that we don't necessarily do a second full space line line like that. And again that may change.

I don't think that LEGO Space was only successful because there was no Star Wars LEGO at the time.  I think there was an actual appeal there.  And I think it could still be successful, even without the nostalgia.  That said, nostalgia would help it be even more successful.  Look at the successes in the LEGO Movie and the Exo-Suit.  I hope they continue this.

I don't think that LEGO Space was only successful because there was no Star Wars LEGO at the time.  I think there was an actual appeal there.  And I think it could still be successful, even without the nostalgia.  That said, nostalgia would help it be even more successful.  Look at the successes in the LEGO Movie and the Exo-Suit.  I hope they continue this.

That aspect was discussed in the interview too, along with a rather intriguing answer to a particular question:

Makes sense. Good explanation and I think you maybe right that classic feeling or that nostalgia is more of a feeling. Do you have any idea, like Bennys spaceship, did it sell well?
Well I don't know the sales performance of this set. I'm really excited about the Saturn V combined with Benny's spaceship we're starting to see some real nostalgia for kind of this thing. I guess it's like the space race of the 1960s kind of nostalgia for that first journey into space. And I think that could mean a lot for LEGO in terms of what we make for products.

Nowadays you hear more and more news about going to Mars in 10 or 20 years or so. Is that something that LEGO is looking into as well? Like maybe we can do Mars exploration?
I shouldn't say anything about that. We're paying attention to a lot of things.

21 hours ago, Artanis I said:

I hope you are talking about Lego

It's allergy season here.

16 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Lego needs more spaceships and mechs out of starwars. 
Only reason why i buy starwars sets is because i need gray pieces.

I certainly don't need any more wings.

They have a bit of a point. It isn't so much Star Wars as it is they need some sort of media push other than simply Nostalgia. Look how well Benny's ship did in the TLM sets.  Actually these days it might be Star Wars, but not in the way we expect. The Lego Star Wars media properties such as the games and the TV shows such as Yoda Chronicles and Freemaker Adventures provide a media hook and use media resources that could go towards an in house Space property. And of course if and when they do return to an in house Sci Fi/Space property it has to be something very different than Star Wars in look and feel. 

4 hours ago, Faefrost said:

They have a bit of a point. It isn't so much Star Wars as it is they need some sort of media push other than simply Nostalgia. Look how well Benny's ship did in the TLM sets.  Actually these days it might be Star Wars, but not in the way we expect. The Lego Star Wars media properties such as the games and the TV shows such as Yoda Chronicles and Freemaker Adventures provide a media hook and use media resources that could go towards an in house Space property. And of course if and when they do return to an in house Sci Fi/Space property it has to be something very different than Star Wars in look and feel. 

They didn't say anything about media.  And nostalgia isn't the only thing that can drive a LEGO Space theme.  Well designed space craft sets can propel a Space theme, even in the presence of Star Wars.

I am interested in the reaction to Mars exploration, though.

17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That aspect was discussed in the interview too, along with a rather intriguing answer to a particular question:

It is questionable whether it is nostalgia that is driving the sales of the Saturn V, at least lego nostalgia. For me, Saturn V is a piece of history, an absolute classic, the first to get men to the moon. It is not sentiment or any form of remembering great times that nostalgia suggests. If they did a The Rocket or a Wright Flyer, I'd probably buy them if they were well executed, not out of nostalgia though.

That is different to Benny's spaceship, where it probably is partly nostalgia from people that used to build similar ships in their childhood that drove some of the sales, although they'd have to be careful if assuming it was solely down to nostalgia as it also likely that many sales were for/to kids that liked the movie.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

That is different to Benny's spaceship, where it probably is partly nostalgia from people that used to build similar ships in their childhood that drove some of the sales, although they'd have to be careful if assuming it was solely down to nostalgia as it also likely that many sales were for/to kids that liked the movie.

Or people just liked the model.

Or people just liked the model.

Benny's Spaceship was also more or less a one-off—a single Classic Space-inspired set, tied to a highly popular movie theme, probably had a better business case than a full range of Classic Space sets would have. The context of its appearance in the movie also helped sell the nostalgia appeal of the set even for kids and others who didn't personally live through or experience the original Classic Space theme—myself arguably included, though I at least had been exposed to Classic Space secondhand through the AFOL community, which is more than you could probably say for most kids.

Based on its popularity, I fully expect to see at least one similar set for The Lego Movie Sequel next year...

"Star Wars is a reason that we don't necessarily do a second full space line line like that. And again that may change. "

I KNEW IT..... GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! and I like Star Wars. Its like something I like is holding back something I like even more. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH erhehrhehrhehrehhhhhhhhh... bleh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!