Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

OK, that makes sense.  I'm totally fine with that.  I want one too.

1 hour ago, icm said:

Personally, I'd like a new Space theme that ISN'T something we've seen before, but has just enough familiar design cues and colors to draw me in.  I can't say I have a good idea what that means, but I'll know it when I see it.

How about this? ... :)

3 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

If I remember correctly, one of the conditions of the contest what no recognisable items, ie, no NASA, and no other existing or past spaceship, probe, station, etc. So it inevitably brought our the Classic Space freaks (of which I am a very proud member! ?)

Oh yes, I'm aware of those conditions, but given how popular "realistic" space material is for many Ideas projects and products, I think that's why Space was the chosen theme of this contest. Perhaps Lego was expecting more entries generically based upon space shuttles, payload rockets, and exploration probes from this contest, and instead in turn got a whole lotta Classic Space (not to mention a surprising amount of Retro Space).

2 hours ago, icm said:

Personally, I'd like a new Space theme that ISN'T something we've seen before, but has just enough familiar design cues and colors to draw me in.  I can't say I have a good idea what that means, but I'll know it when I see it.

How about Retro Space? You know, Rocketships, Rayguns, Evil Emperors, Dashing Heroes, Jetpacks, Art Deco Motifs, Comic Strip Colors and Styling... :snicker:

Never seen that before in a in-house Space theme. :purrr:

10 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How about Retro Space? You know, Rocketships, Rayguns, Evil Emperors, Dashing Heroes, Jetpacks, Art Deco Motifs, Comic Strip Colors and Styling... :snicker:

Never seen that before in a in-house Space theme. 

Yes PLEASE?!

Just now, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Yes PLEASE?!

Not sure? Which would you rather want to see, a space theme inspired after the old comic strips of the 1930's (think Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon), or one that takes after the B-Movies of the 1950's?

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Not sure? Which would you rather want to see, a space theme inspired after the old comic strips of the 1930's (think Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon), or one that takes after the B-Movies of the 1950's?

Either would be good in my book! I've always been a sucker for retro stylings, 30's and 50's in particular. I'm leaning more toward Flash Gordon, since I have an idea for an in-house 50's sci-fi theme that doesn't have much to do with space.

4 minutes ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Either would be good in my book! I've always been a sucker for retro stylings, 30's and 50's in particular. I'm leaning more toward Flash Gordon, since I have an idea for an in-house 50's sci-fi theme that doesn't have much to do with space.

I most definitely would prefer one that takes after the science fiction of the 1930's myself too, as its rocketcraft would take on a more wild, teardrop shape as opposed to the Sci-Fi rocketships of the 50's, which more rather resembled warhead rockets instead of spacecraft.

But, having said that, I'd still be interested to see what Lego would do for 1950's Space theme if they were to hypothetically head that direction instead. By the way, what idea for a theme did you have anyway, despite it not being Space related?

35 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I most definitely would prefer one that takes after the science fiction of the 1930's myself too, as its rocketcraft would take on a more wild, teardrop shape as opposed to the Sci-Fi rocketships of the 50's, which more rather resembled warhead rockets instead of spacecraft.

But, having said that, I'd still be interested to see what Lego would do for 1950's Space theme if they were to hypothetically head that direction instead. By the way, what idea for a theme did you have anyway, despite it not being Space related?

Basically Monster Fighters, but Atompunk instead of Steampunk. Instead of hardened hunters, the heroes are just a team of random blokes thrust into fights with monsters that crawled right out of the silver screen.

14 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Basically Monster Fighters, but Atompunk instead of Steampunk. Instead of hardened hunters, the heroes are just a team of random blokes thrust into fights with monsters that crawled right out of the silver screen.

So, I'd presume that these hero archetypes take after the high school jocks and teeny boppers of that era? That's kinda cool, and I'd guess they'd be supplied with some Ray-O-Matic type monster fighting technology by their local, Doc Brown like crazy scientist. :shrug_oh_well:

If you have a more fleshed out idea for this action theme, perhaps you could share it here on this topic:

That microfig is gonna come in handy in so many micro MOCs!

EDIT: Huh apparently there are already 5 Classic Space microfigs from games. This one might have a more Classic Space accurate face print but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Edited by danth

1 hour ago, danth said:

That microfig is gonna come in handy in so many micro MOCs!

Indeed! :smug:

1 hour ago, danth said:

EDIT: Huh apparently there are already 5 Classic Space microfigs from games. This one might have a more Classic Space accurate face print but it's hard to tell from the pic.

These are different sort of microfig, ones seen with CMFs like the S2 Karate Master and included in sets such as the 2015 UCS Helicarrier and last year's LEGO Ideas Apollo 11.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

43 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Indeed! :smug:

These are different sort of microfig, ones seen with CMFs like the S2 Karate Master and included in sets such as the 2015 UCS Helicarrier and last year's LEGO Ideas Apollo 11.

Ohh, so they are. I had to look up the difference on Google. These ones look smaller and more like real minifigs so I think I like them better. 

That is the trophy style microfig - I already have stacks of the normal ones from years ago

LEGO Ideas - LEGO Moments in Space - Winners

Spoiler

Grand Prize Winner

Cosmic Rocket Ride! (Coin Operated) by mjsmiley

5240605-5109841-LegoCosmicRocket_1-8o08I

Here's what the judges had to say about the Grand Prize Winning entry: 

In general, we were also positive towards this as it was the one with the most votes from the fans and we strived to meet what the fans votes for.

Overall coolness and originality: 25%

• Brings back childhood memories
  • The overall function of the model is extremely cute and definitely adds value to the item
  • The model is vibrant in colour and would look awesome on the packaging

Most inspired details: 25%

• Used postbox element as coinbox

Relevance to contest theme: 25%

• You imagine while you are riding that you are in or going to Space
  • Ride is obviously shaped as a space rocket

Best use of LEGO elements: 25%

• Fits a Minifigure or a Mini-doll inside, bringing more emotional appeal

Edited by Digger of Bricks

35 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

LEGO Ideas - LEGO Moments in Space - Winners

Reveal hidden contents

Grand Prize Winner

Cosmic Rocket Ride! (Coin Operated) by mjsmiley

5240605-5109841-LegoCosmicRocket_1-8o08I

Here's what the judges had to say about the Grand Prize Winning entry: 

In general, we were also positive towards this as it was the one with the most votes from the fans and we strived to meet what the fans votes for.

Overall coolness and originality: 25%

• Brings back childhood memories
  • The overall function of the model is extremely cute and definitely adds value to the item
  • The model is vibrant in colour and would look awesome on the packaging

Most inspired details: 25%

• Used postbox element as coinbox

Relevance to contest theme: 25%

• You imagine while you are riding that you are in or going to Space
  • Ride is obviously shaped as a space rocket

Best use of LEGO elements: 25%

• Fits a Minifigure or a Mini-doll inside, bringing more emotional appeal

So, they hold a contest for a Space set, then they elect one that you would put in a Town layout... There were lots of great Classic Space, real life space and near-future space exploration sets! It upsets me more than it should. :sad: 

Agreed. There were lots of great sets and my favourite was even in the runner ups (the big fat round rocket).

I guess this shows that yellow minifigs need not apply for sci-fi space adventures (officially, that is)

?

6 minutes ago, Captain Mutant said:

I guess this shows that yellow minifigs need not apply for sci-fi space adventures (officially, that is)

?

Could you clarify, I don't get what you mean? All projects here (winner and runner ups) feature yellow figs, as opposed to fleshies.

Edit: Wait, are you inferring that there can be no unlicensed space themes based on this outcome?

Edited by Exetrius

21 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

So, they hold a contest for a Space set, then they elect one that you would put in a Town layout... There were lots of great Classic Space, real life space and near-future space exploration sets! 

I guess this may show that Lego has figured that most of their general non-AFOL audience are indifferent to Space, instead thinking that most would warm up to something more down to earth (literally). It's too bad, as there was another nice coin-op ride entry that was Classic Space themed; but honestly, I was prepared for this sort of disappointment. :sceptic:

Now though they won't be made as sets, staff did make a few good choices for runner-ups:

31 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

Could you clarify, I don't get what you mean? All projects here (winner and runner ups) feature yellow figs, as opposed to fleshies.

Edit: Wait, are you inferring that there can be no unlicensed space themes based on this outcome?

No, I was referring to third party licences have the monopoly on sci-fi and LEGO's own yellow-faced space exploration has been mothballed.

Like you I'm not very happy with the results :sceptic:

I'm convinced that while the Star Wars line will exists, there won't be any new unlicensed "space" theme. That means we need to continue building sci-fi MOCs, and luckily for us, Lego provide lots of useful parts in the different other themes, like nexo knight, ninjago or star wars. Remember the alt builds on the back of the boxes. For me, the message was clearly: "You don't have to build only what's on the front of the box! Be imaginative. Build what you want!". So let's continue...

1 minute ago, Bob De Quatre said:

I'm convinced that while the Star Wars line will exists, there won't be any new unlicensed "space" theme.

And that even extends to "gift-with-purchase" sets too? :look: :wacko:

49 minutes ago, skippyfontainne said:

Honestly Lego? Honestly? While cute, I don't want cute from Lego.

well, you do know LEGO being into kid toys, cute plays a big part in their business, right? lol