Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

35 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The new track system really is the closest thing we've seen currently to the old monorail system, as even normal "L-Gauge" track doesn't include inclines, so I'm certain your project will catch the eyes of Ideas staff as so to make it a staff pick. :classic:

By the way, do you have a Flickr account? If you do, and haven't already, you really should post it there to attract more attention. If you haven't a Flickr account, at least post a topic of it here on Eurobricks, simply so it won't just be buried here on this topic. 

Thanks, that would be great!

Don't worry, Flickr promotion and EB topic are planned, I'm just curious to see the intrinsic interest of the Ideas community. :classic:

On 1/19/2018 at 4:26 AM, Exetrius said:

Aqueous

You know, revisiting your question, maybe this could be the way to go for the next Space theme.

Technically it would be a Aquazone theme parading as a Space theme, thereby avoiding similarity with Star Wars. And, since Lego had flirted with the idea of a aqua-set Space theme back in the nineties with Sea-Tron, it might be something they would want to reconsider. Plus, the upcoming sequel to James Cameron's Avatar reportedly features a setting on a water covered moon, thereby acting perhaps as currently relevant concept of familiarity that such a theme can bank on.

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Thanks, that would be great!

I'd also like to add that I really appreciate all the not-yet-seen Trans-Yellow part recolors you featured in your project, such as the Speed Champions windshield and two-brick-high half cylinder part.

Aquazone was supposedly set on another planet so it really was a Space theme after all

6 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

Aquazone was supposedly set on another planet so it really was a Space theme after all

Really? Was that explained in tie-in media or advertising? Does that therefore make Aquazone a subtheme of subthemes for Space? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

I don't know the source, but I think it was shared on this site years ago

Hmm, interesting. I guess that's why that one Aquazone theme featured those Stingray villains; but if Aquazone was a Space subtheme, what was the point of Sea-Tron? To do an even spacier aqua theme?

I think Sea-Tron was a prototype theme that developed into what was eventually released as Aquazone.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmm, interesting. I guess that's why that one Aquazone theme featured those Stingray villains; but if Aquazone was a Space subtheme, what was the point of Sea-Tron? To do an even spacier aqua theme?

IIRC Seatron was developed in the eighties, before Aquazone even came out.

Seatron had Futuron torsos if that wasn't enough clue to its vintage. It was developed before and obviously evolved into M:Tron & Aquazone

For some reason,  the underwater themed sets - be it from City, Space, Alpha Team or Atlantis - never appealed to me that much. I'm not much of a fan of the bright yellow or red, but beyond that, it's often the shaping that I don't really like. For a space theme, I think the main drawback is in the nature of water itself: it slows you down. No need for wings because there is buoyancy, no need for jet boosters because they are pretty ineffective. And you can't have a proper aerospace craft without wings and boosters, right?

However, I could imagine a space theme that is stationed at the water surface, as an intermediate exchange hub for resources carried by aerospace craft and underwater probes. You could even have enemies at all fronts: alien sea monsters, alien pirates and alien invaders. Lots of possibilities!

(Btw, check my new signature! :wink:)

9 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

For some reason,  the underwater themed sets - be it from City, Space, Alpha Team or Atlantis - never appealed to me that much. I'm not much of a fan of the bright yellow or red, but beyond that, it's often the shaping that I don't really like. For a space theme, I think the main drawback is in the nature of water itself: it slows you down. No need for wings because there is buoyancy, no need for jet boosters because they are pretty ineffective. And you can't have a proper aerospace craft without wings and boosters, right?

Atlantis was the only Aquazone theme I ever cared about, as the heroes' submersible craft were some of the spaceiest looking Aquazone sets ever. The color scheme of the first year's craft seemed to echo M-Tron, and while I didn't care for the color scheme of the second year, at least it gave us a few new Trans-yellow canopy recolors! 

15 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

However, I could imagine a space theme that is stationed at the water surface, as an intermediate exchange hub for resources carried by aerospace craft and underwater probes. You could even have enemies at all fronts: alien sea monsters, alien pirates and alien invaders. Lots of possibilities!

A water planet setting with navel, nautical themes? I could dig that! :classic:

17 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

(Btw, check my new signature! :wink:)

Awesome, just what you needed! Congratulations on your approach towards one hundred supporters! :grin:

Last night, over on the 2018 Harry Potter discussion topic, set designer Mark Stafford (a.k.a. @Nabii) had this to say in response to a question regarding in-house Castle themes particularly:

"I'm starting to hope that you will be working on the next true Castle theme."

True castle theme eh? You could be waiting as long as the space theme fans!

Here's a link to his questionnaire, I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Last night, over on the 2018 Harry Potter discussion topic, set designer Mark Stafford (a.k.a. @Nabii) had this to say in response to a question regarding in-house Castle themes particularly:

True castle theme eh? You could be waiting as long as the space theme fans!

How many hearts of mine can they break???

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I assume "True castle" would be Classic Castle (also Kingdoms), but I'm not sure what exactly "space theme" implies. Classic Space has seen tribute sets once a while, but otherwise has been inactive for decades. On the other hand, it's only been five years since last space theme, Galaxy Squad. The way I interpret this, he basically says that we have to wait decades, or around 5 years  - depending on his notion of "space theme" -  for a true castle theme. It doesn't say anything about when to expect a new space theme.

One feeling I get from this statement: the 'classic' in space (and castle) themes has been permanently ditched. All future space themes will follow the formula of a team of distinct heroes, around which an elaborate story revolves (media tie-in) to keep kids interested, having specialized vehicles, always fighting enemies. In other words: purebred action and adventure themes. Actually, I think that would be an exciting scenario that would give us plenty of varied new material to work with.

The true doom scenario: a licensed future. If TLG fails to maintain original IP's in it's core theme groups (Town, Space/Sci-fi, Historic/Fantasy and Technic), then I my faith in the company will be lost. I'll blame Disney. 

34 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

One feeling I get from this statement: the 'classic' in space (and castle) themes has been permanently ditched. All future space themes will follow the formula of a team of distinct heroes, around which an elaborate story revolves (media tie-in) to keep kids interested, having specialized vehicles, always fighting enemies. In other words: purebred action and adventure themes. Actually, I think that would be an exciting scenario that would give us plenty of varied new material to work with.

I think most fans of those traditional lines wouldn't mind seeing narrative heavy takes on any classic theme currently, as at least it would be something. Of course, it wouldn't be so much about them being narrative/media driven, but how they were executed. With Space, it's science fiction, so pretty much anything goes as long as it's actually set in space and not a terrestrial setting. Castle and Pirates, on the other hand, may divide those who wish for either a more historical setting or a more fantastical one.

But as far as those who may desire a conflict-less Space theme, unfortunately, I don't believe we'll ever see such a premise in a standalone playtheme again. But hey, preexisting themes like City and Creator could certainly house lines like that. 

"True castle theme eh? You could be waiting as long as the space theme fans!"

I take it from that statement that there will be no castle or space theme from LEGO for a good long while - if ever. I had hoped that the 40th anniversary would've prompted LEGO to revive those themes, if only one or two sets to satisfy this niche. Just looking at the Moments in Space competition which got over 1,000 entries just shows how much of an appetite there is for LEGO Space beyond Star Wars.

Starting to wonder if there's a clause in the SW contract which prohibits LEGO from doing other space related sets. :(

Guess I'll have to satisfy myself with my own Classic Space MOC (which I submitted to LEGO Ideas...)

He could have been referring to exactly that contest, hinting that the next contest will be for a Castle based gift with purchase...

On 2/21/2018 at 4:39 PM, Captain Mutant said:

Just looking at the Moments in Space competition which got over 1,000 entries just shows how much of an appetite there is for LEGO Space beyond Star Wars.

Certainly there is a demand for Space beyond Star Wars, but is it as large (or larger) as the customer base for Star Wars? In terms of science fiction inspired material, I'm afraid not; but, realistic space related material certainly has a great demand, given how many NASA based projects have been approved for production and sold very well as a result. Also, there recently have been numerous submissions for Space X related projects that have speedily gained quite a bit of traction.

And that's the thing, I'm afraid Lego started this Ideas contest with many of those projects in mind, not anything pertaining to Classic Space particularly. But, after seeing how many submissions turned out to take after Classic themes instead of realistic space material, it may give those at TLG some food for thought.

8 hours ago, x105Black said:

He could have been referring to exactly that contest, hinting that the next contest will be for a Castle based gift with purchase...

A medieval contest after this one seems like a given if you ask me. :classic:

Certainly there is a demand for Space beyond Star Wars, but is it as large (or larger) as the customer base for Star Wars?

Star Wars is huge, but what about Ninjago or Elves? Those are unique LEGO properties which coexist quite well even though I'm sure they must be small than LEGO Star Wars. I'm just getting tired of Star Wars Star Wars everywhere Star Wars. There's more to sci-fi than Star Wars, even if it's undoubtably smaller than Star Wars

I'm afraid Lego started this Ideas contest with many of those projects in mind, not anything pertaining to Classic Space particularly. But, after seeing how many submissions turned out to take after Classic themes instead of realistic space material, it may give those at TLG some food for thought.

If I remember correctly, one of the conditions of the contest what no recognisable items, ie, no NASA, and no other existing or past spaceship, probe, station, etc. So it inevitably brought our the Classic Space freaks (of which I am a very proud member! ?)

My biggest "toy fear" is that Lego will not make another non-movie, video-game, App tie in line again.

This is a huge fear because I want this:

Ice Planet 2

Blacktron revistied

Mtron revisited

Insectoids 2

Galaxy wars 2

Further, Star Wars, which I love, has taken up all the "space air" out of Legos balloons. And Star Wars in not going away, at least not for the next 10 years.

PLEASE LEGO, flex your in-house creative muscles. If your reading this have some mercy on a space theme fan. Please!

1 hour ago, Captain Mutant said:

I'm just getting tired of Star Wars Star Wars everywhere Star Wars.

Ugh, seriously! It's not like we're even getting any new cool designs either. The U-Wing is the only thing close. 

25 minutes ago, skippyfontainne said:

My biggest "toy fear" is that Lego will not make another non-movie, video-game, App tie in line again.

This is a huge fear because I want this:

Ice Planet 2

Blacktron revistied

Mtron revisited

Insectoids 2

Galaxy [Squad] 2

PLEASE LEGO, flex your in-house creative muscles. If your reading this have some mercy on a space theme fan. Please!

All those nostalgic retreads don't seem much like "flexing of in-house creative muscles" to me, especially if the in-house content designers don't get the opportunity to make a movie, video game, app, or story to go with them.  Whether you love them or hate them, big bang themes like Nexo Knights, Legends of Chima, and Ninjago are much more original and therefore much more creative than any new line that can be summarized as "an old line from decades ago, but with modern pieces."

Now, about that list:

Ice Planet revisited: Nexo Knights has a lot of trans-orange canopies and other homages to the design language of Ice Planet

Blacktron revisited: That's what the Black Hole Gang baddies of Space Police 3 were, though indirectly.  See also the baddies in black of Ultra Agents.

M-Tron revisited: As Nexo Knights is to Ice Planet, so is Atlantis to M-Tron

Insectoids revisited: The bug aliens of Galaxy Squad fit that description pretty well.

Personally, I'd like a new Space theme that ISN'T something we've seen before, but has just enough familiar design cues and colors to draw me in.  I can't say I have a good idea what that means, but I'll know it when I see it.

47 minutes ago, icm said:

All those nostalgic retreads don't seem much like "flexing of in-house creative muscles" to me, especially if the in-house content designers don't get the opportunity to make a movie, video game, app, or story to go with them.  Whether you love them or hate them, big bang themes like Nexo Knights, Legends of Chima, and Ninjago are much more original and therefore much more creative than any new line that can be summarized as "an old line from decades ago, but with modern pieces."

Now, about that list:

Ice Planet revisited: Nexo Knights has a lot of trans-orange canopies and other homages to the design language of Ice Planet

Blacktron revisited: That's what the Black Hole Gang baddies of Space Police 3 were, though indirectly.  See also the baddies in black of Ultra Agents.

M-Tron revisited: As Nexo Knights is to Ice Planet, so is Atlantis to M-Tron

Insectoids revisited: The bug aliens of Galaxy Squad fit that description pretty well.

Personally, I'd like a new Space theme that ISN'T something we've seen before, but has just enough familiar design cues and colors to draw me in.  I can't say I have a good idea what that means, but I'll know it when I see it.

All I mean is I want a cool in-house space theme from Lego, with multiple sets. that's it. :)