Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

It's old information/news now and it really doesn't give anything away, but Brick Fanatics attended the recent Fan Media Event and posted details of a talk given by Bali Padda.

In the last of three posts detailing the interview, the question of classic space making a return was asked of him and he reportedly said "you'll have to wait and see!".

Now, it may be entirely irrelevant, but Bali Padda is British, and here in the UK, whenever someone says "you'll have to wait and see!", they nearly always mean "Yes, but I don't want to confirm it to you right now!"

My hopes aren't high but I think it could hint at some stuff that's coming from the Lego Movie Sequel... which was previously said to be set in space.

Apologies for speculation based on vague comments and any other forum crimes I may have just unwittingly committed with this post!

4 hours ago, badgerboy said:

It's old information/news now and it really doesn't give anything away, but Brick Fanatics attended the recent Fan Media Event and posted details of a talk given by Bali Padda.

In the last of three posts detailing the interview, the question of classic space making a return was asked of him and he reportedly said "you'll have to wait and see!".

Now, it may be entirely irrelevant, but Bali Padda is British, and here in the UK, whenever someone says "you'll have to wait and see!", they nearly always mean "Yes, but I don't want to confirm it to you right now!"

My hopes aren't high but I think it could hint at some stuff that's coming from the Lego Movie Sequel... which was previously said to be set in space.

Apologies for speculation based on vague comments and any other forum crimes I may have just unwittingly committed with this post!

Hmm. Interesting to say the least! Thanks for sharing this @badgerboy!

Thanks for linking this interview @badgerboy! Honestly, I wished I had seen this earlier, but I don't really visit the site Brick Fanatics, so maybe I should more often.

The entire interview, also including the first and second parts, was very insightful. Though not pertaining to space exactly, I found this one quote from the second part of the interview to be most interesting.

International markets are also a focus for the LEGO Group, with the CEO reflecting that the company are looking at potential Asian IPs to partner with, expanding beyond Western licenses such as Star Wars and Harry Potter. The experienced leader also noted that the designers within the company represent 41 nationalities, bringing a broad range of experience and talent.

I do wonder what this will mean for future themes? 

21 hours ago, badgerboy said:

The quote from that page is "With 2018 marking 40 years of the modern minifigure and 40 years of Classic Space, Padda was asked if anything special was planned. ‘You’ll have to wait and see,’ he smiled, cryptically."

So both the minifigure and classic space anniversary in one question. I have no doubt they will mark the 40th anniversary of the modern minifigure somehow. Of course, "you’ll have to wait and see", can mean "Yes, but I'm not telling you yet" but it can also mean "No, but I'm not giving you that information".

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Though not pertaining to space exactly, I found this one quote from the second part of the interview to be most interesting.

-quote-

I do wonder what this will mean for future themes? 

Asian IP's? I don't know any popular ones that are not from Japan, so I'd say they're looking at anime franchises. As far as space themes go, I think Mobile Suit Gundam would be one of the more viable ones. That'd be cool! :classic:

45 minutes ago, MAB said:

"you’ll have to wait and see", can mean "Yes, but I'm not telling you yet" but it can also mean "No, but I'm not giving you that information".

Indeed it can mean "No, but I'm not giving you that information" or, "No, there is nothing planned." but in the context of the discussion his comment (in my opinion) alludes to something, and he would have said "there are no plans at the moment" if that's what he meant. Equally he could have meant "Yes, but it's probably not what you are expecting, and I don't want to disappoint or raise false hopes!"

This is all conjecture, of course. The worst sort of speculation on virtually no information... it would be foolish in the extreme to lay any kind of a bet on Classic Space making a return as a full theme based on these words alone! I just think it means you can't rule it out either.

I had another dream about Classic Space sets getting a re-release. This time I got a new set with a re-tooled transparent blue Classic Space helmet! I was over the moon. And now I want one for real.

He could just be talking about a tribute set to minifigs or space. There were those small white boxed sets for VIPs not so long ago, or those minifigs collection sets even further back. No need to assume an entire theme or giant D2C, or that he's even referring to Space with his response.

Fantasise if you wish, of course.

10 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Asian IP's? I don't know any popular ones that are not from Japan, so I'd say they're looking at anime franchises. As far as space themes go, I think Mobile Suit Gundam would be one of the more viable ones. That'd be cool! :classic:

Anime franchises are probably the most likely answer, the only other IPs that could perhaps fit the bill would be either classic kaiju movies (Godzilla for instance) or Japanese children's TV shows for Duplo, maybe. 

I only wonder what the retail availability of such themes will be in the western world, if indeed these themes will not appeal as much to western audiences since they are primarily targeted at eastern customers. 

By the way, I mentioned the quote discussed here by the Lego Group's CEO in @Ookami's possible future licensed themes discussion, somewhere where this topic is probably more suited for.

14 hours ago, badgerboy said:

Indeed it can mean "No, but I'm not giving you that information" or, "No, there is nothing planned." but in the context of the discussion his comment (in my opinion) alludes to something, and he would have said "there are no plans at the moment" if that's what he meant.

Lego rarely gives out information like this whether positive or negative. They will give a vague answer that you can interpret any way you like, committing to nothing. If he had said there are no plans at the moment, and then something happened in future, then that would give out information about how far in advance plans are made for such events.

@MAB I posted the vaguest of vague comments and interpreted them in a way that I felt to be relevant to this topic. Bali's comment can be interpreted in many ways (what I originally wrote was intended to be a little tongue-in-cheek).

For what it's worth, I'm not arguing with you, I understand how companies like Lego operate and how information given to the public is handled. You are right, it gives nothing away.

I'm just suggesting that there is a positive spin that can be taken from this if you so wish.

As a conversation starter, I thought I'd ask those who comment on this thread what would you like to see from a hypothetical third comeback of Blacktron.

First, what would the faction be depicted as? Whether they be a shadowy espionage agency, a band of rogue space pirates, extraterrestrials, or a army of minions under a Darth Vader/Ogel like overlord, how would you like to see them portrayed?

Secondly, what sort of design aesthetic should their spacecraft follow after? Should it be a sharp Nexo Knights design; a blunt, angular look; or a rounded, spherical one?

Thirdly, what color scheme would it adopt? Should it completely take after the original black/trans-yellow scheme of Blacktron I or the black/white/trans-neon green of Blacktron II? Should instead it take a whole new route with its color scheme, maybe adopting anything from black on trans. red, trans. light green, trans. purple, trans. neon yellow, etc?

Lastly, who would you like to see them pitted against? Should they be explorers, space marines, mining colonies, or something else?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the original Blacktron black & yellow color scheme. Or if I said I didn't consider the black & WHITE (wtf?) Blacktron 2 color scheme a betrayal of the original. And neon yellow/green has been really overused (M:Tron, Blacktron 2, Insectoids, Roboforce, UFO, many recent sets).

But I will say, if we must have a new color scheme, black & transparent green looks really good.

While I would like to see a return to the Black/Trans-yellow color scheme of Blacktron I (just so we could obtain more Trans-yellow canopies), something new would most likely be the way to go. Personally, I could see a color scheme of Trans. Bright Orange on Black, with no third factor solid color. This would give the spacecraft a Tron Legacy vibe, similar to that of the look of Clu's attire and his army, really driving the "tron" prefix home.

As far as the other factors go, I would like to see the spacecraft take a rounded, spherical look that I've suggested before, and the faction's depiction would be as an evil overlord's footsoldiers. Now as for their adversaries, I myself am not sure what I would want to see.

8 hours ago, danth said:

But I will say, if we must have a new color scheme, black & transparent green looks really good.

By Transparent Green, do you mean the older, darker shade; or do you mean Trans. Light Green (a.k.a. "Atlantis" green)?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By Transparent Green, do you mean the older, darker shade; or do you mean Trans. Light Green (a.k.a. "Atlantis" green)?

The older dark green. I once saw a spaceship MOC that used black & trans dark green and it looked great. But of course I can't find it now. This will give you an idea though:

30185c05pb01.png

Edited by danth

16 hours ago, danth said:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the original Blacktron black & yellow color scheme. Or if I said I didn't consider the black & WHITE (wtf?) Blacktron 2 color scheme a betrayal of the original. And neon yellow/green has been really overused (M:Tron, Blacktron 2, Insectoids, Roboforce, UFO, many recent sets).

I agree with you on all these points except that translucent neon green is one of my favorites, and I would really like to see Blacktron three come in a black with translucent neon green color scheme. But as you pointed out, black with translucent green would probably work very well along with giving it a more sinister feeling. Speaking of sinister, Blacktron two? :sick: Dorky to the max. Especially the minifigs. Although the builds were pretty cool IMO.

Come on guys, trans green is SP2! Try again.

You are right, it would look awesome...

Just now, Artanis I said:

Come on guys, trans green is SP2! Try again.

You are right, it would look awesome...

We certainly need more canopies in Trans. Green, since it is the least common of the three shades of green for transparents.

Now perhaps it is unlikely, but @Sir von Lego had told us that we should be expecting the vehicles for next year's Nexo Knights villains to be in Black and Trans. Green, so I'm hoping some of those come with some canopies of that color. :classic:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Now perhaps it is unlikely, but @Sir von Lego had told us that we should be expecting the vehicles for next year's Nexo Knights villains to be in Black and Trans. Green, so I'm hoping some of those come with some canopies of that color. :classic:

I absolutely refuse to believe that! Lego apparently hates the original trans green. I dunno if they've decided it's too garish (what I would call bold) or if the dye is just more expensive than bright green. 

But I would be glad to eat my words on this.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:12 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

As a conversation starter, I thought I'd ask those who comment on this thread what would you like to see from a hypothetical third comeback of Blacktron.

First, what would the faction be depicted as? Whether they be a shadowy espionage agency, a band of rogue space pirates, extraterrestrials, or a army of minions under a Darth Vader/Ogel like overlord, how would you like to see them portrayed?

Secondly, what sort of design aesthetic should their spacecraft follow after? Should it be a sharp Nexo Knights design; a blunt, angular look; or a rounded, spherical one?

Thirdly, what color scheme would it adopt? Should it completely take after the original black/trans-yellow scheme of Blacktron I or the black/white/trans-neon green of Blacktron II? Should instead it take a whole new route with its color scheme, maybe adopting anything from black on trans. red, trans. light green, trans. purple, trans. neon yellow, etc?

Lastly, who would you like to see them pitted against? Should they be explorers, space marines, mining colonies, or something else?

Oh, I'd LOVE to see Neo-Blacktron come back as a network of Space Pirates with experimental alien tech, led by an Ogel-lord type. Actually... I shouldn't... but here, lookit-!!! command_mech.jpg

I wanted to save this for a massive project; I'm talking an ARG, Youtube Teasers paying homage to mid 90s ads for Legos, all culminating to a Lego Ideas Campaign to launch Blacktron inspired MoCs.

But yeah, I'm all for Trans Green and black (possibly some rogue colonists came into contact with the alien tech from the Mission to Mars line of sets and repurposed it to suit their own ends.) Their ships reflect this as well, utilizing lots of curves and bubble cockpits. (imagine a bigger version of the Blacktron Flagship, the Renegade, but revitalized in a Black and lime green color scheme with pieces and parts from 2015...!!!) They're Space Pirates, minifigures are mostly classic yellow, with Cybernetic augments/detailing on them (think Lego Agents or Ninjago: Rebooted. the bionic arm components as well as cybernetic eye pieces.). They operate on the fringe of space, in the ruins of old Blacktron 2 installations, such as the Alpha Centari Stronghold, and they're regularly "The Villain of the Week" going up against Galaxy Force, using some manner of nefarious tech that ultimately backfires.

This particular MoC I have linked here... this one is special. I took the stock model for Kai's Fire Mech ( stock model 70500), Did a palette swap and added shoulder plates and a Stud-shooter, as well as an enclosed cockpit. the back has a simple, yet effective dual thruster jump pack, with Trans green bionicle elements to emulate takeoff jets. The Minifigure inside is the Supreme commander of the Blacktron forces, with black legs, a Space Villain Torso and Helmet, and a solid black visor. I'm not going to mention what head I use, because I want to make a major selling point for this campaign that nobody knows the identity of the new leader of the Blacktron resurgence.  

For me:

Blacktron 3: Mostly black fuselage with some fairly exposed engines using dbg and lbg with perhaps some carefully placed brown and dark orange maybe even some olive or dark green and dark blue on the body work to make things seem older and rusted here and there. Canopies in trans red and cockpits internal stuff in flat red. All manned by minifigures designed to look like droids with a group of leaders who're all partially droid in some way?

Futuron: @Digger of Bricks I really liked your "friends" in space idea. Reckon they'd work quite nicely here with white, lilac, light azure etc. It's that space colony idea of yours and I'm seeing "Eden Project" style geodesic domes featuring in a really big set.

Unrelatedly, but since I think you shared a couple of Lego dreams. I had one several years ago, it was like a warehouse garage I went to to do a Lego deal, when I got there it was like an old shop, but filled with Classic Lego Space sets, all mint. Stacks of 918, 924 and a couple of 6970 proudly displayed on a high shelf there were many other sets round and about a few that were entirely new (never existed). I was crushingly disappointed when I woke up.

9 hours ago, danth said:

I absolutely refuse to believe that! Lego apparently hates the original trans green. I dunno if they've decided it's too garish (what I would call bold) or if the dye is just more expensive than bright green. 

But I would be glad to eat my words on this.

That might be true since, as far as what I'm aware of, Lego hasn't made any translucent green windshields/canopies for awhile.