Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

There's a longer trailer and some screen shots out now. Unless I missed these posted above.

I'm really, really hoping that there will be support for this in the form of real world sets. I wasn't planning on getting into gaming in any way, shape or form... but, I'm very tempted, just on the basis of what I've seen of this game pack.

THAT VIDEO IS AWESOME!

I LOVE the laser grid background! They really nailed the 80's Sci Fi feel. Cannot wait to play this.

Also I'd like to point out that these little throwbacks make me really nostalgic and more likely to buy Lego in general. Every time Lego release something like the Exo Suit or Benny's Spaceship I end up buying lots more Lego overall just for the feels. I guess what I'm saying is it's stupid for Lego to not throw us older fans a nostalgic bone every once in a while. We have kids and nieces and nephews so if you pull us back in, it's more than just the few sets we buy for ourselves.

4 hours ago, danth said:

THAT VIDEO IS AWESOME!

I LOVE the laser grid background! They really nailed the 80's Sci Fi feel. Cannot wait to play this.

Also I'd like to point out that these little throwbacks make me really nostalgic and more likely to buy Lego in general. Every time Lego release something like the Exo Suit or Benny's Spaceship I end up buying lots more Lego overall just for the feels. I guess what I'm saying is it's stupid for Lego to not throw us older fans a nostalgic bone every once in a while. We have kids and nieces and nephews so if you pull us back in, it's more than just the few sets we buy for ourselves.

Absolutely agreed!

I had some questions today I was pondering, and I thought I'd share them here as discussion starters.

The first question, a rather crazy one, is what do you think about the plausibility of the Ninjago theme venturing into space? Would it be viable, and if so, would you be interested in it if it were done right?

Secondly, would a decent Aquazone theme, such as Atlantis, be a good hold over theme in the absence of a traditional space theme? I've always thought of the Atlantis theme particularly as having parallels to exploration based space themes, not to mention the submersibles M-Tron-esq color scheme. :classic:

Lastly, would a mecha centric space theme be a viable option for a space theme running parallel to Star Wars, similar to 1997's Robo Force or 2006's Exo Force? I've proposed several space theme ideas on this thread with Star Wars dissimilarities kept in mind, since I think it is a factor considered by Lego to avoid cannibalization of sales.

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Secondly, would a decent Aquazone theme, such as Atlantis, be a good hold over theme in the absence of a traditional space theme? I've always thought of the Atlantis theme particularly as having parallels to exploration based space themes, not to mention the submersibles M-Tron-esq color scheme. :classic:

Lastly, would a mecha centric space theme be a viable option for a space theme running parallel to Star Wars, similar to 1997's Robo Force or 2006's Exo Force? I've proposed several space theme ideas on this thread with Star Wars dissimilarities kept in mind, since I think it is a factor considered by Lego to avoid cannibalization of sales.

I never really bought the argument that the underwater themes or Rock Raiders were space themes. Maybe inspired by or originating from prototype space themes (Seatron), sure, but not actual space themes themselves.

A space mecha theme would be amazing. Especially if it used existing Space factions/color schemes.

I wish they would release some of the alternate builds of old classic space as sets.  Specifically, this one:

2vskpj4.jpg

Edited by Roshisan
loss of upload space

8 hours ago, danth said:

I never really bought the argument that the underwater themes or Rock Raiders were space themes. Maybe inspired by or originating from prototype space themes (Seatron), sure, but not actual space themes themselves.

A space mecha theme would be amazing. Especially if it used existing Space factions/color schemes.

Well, I don't consider them space themes either, but would definitely like to have a good Aquazone theme around if we weren't expecting a space theme anytime soon. Atlantis, for instance, had some great submersibles which supplied us with some nice Trans. Light Green canopies. We even got a couple Trans-yellow canopies the following year from the theme.

And since Exo Force would be considered too similar to Ninjago for the possibility of a reboot, this is why I thought a space based mecha theme may be the way to go for a mecha centric theme, along with the premise that it would be a space theme that wouldn't resemble Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Roshisan said:

I wish they would release some of the alternate builds of old classic space as sets.  Specifically, this one:

2vskpj4.jpg

I have never seen these, nor was aware of them! That is a pretty cool alternate build! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I don't consider them space themes either, but would definitely like to have a good Aquazone theme around if we weren't expecting a space theme anytime soon.

While they may not be space themes, some of the sets made passable space sets if the minifigs and small builds were replaced ...

8077-1.jpg?2010051205208060-1.jpg?2009111507068075-1.jpg?200911180400

Underwater Lego themes are not space themes, but they are very similar. So much that Lego had planned a "underwater space theme" called "Sea-Tron" which would have had a yellow submarine like monorail had they released the theme.

latest?cb=20110205181855

Looking at this set, we can clearly see it offered a lot of parts that would have worked well for space MOCs had it been released. 

Also, looking at the Atlantis sets @MAB pointed out we can clearly see the potential they offer for parts. Unfortunately the second wave for Atlantis only included a couple of sets. Had there been more we may have seen more windshields in translucent yellow.

1500_57144.jpg

So point being that underwater themes are not exactly space themes, but they do work well in place of a space theme when done right.

I also think we're long over do for an underwater theme. That or a mining theme*. (Which also is something that could work great as a space theme. Power Miners sold extremely well, so I think it's time we got another mining theme as well. Except this time put it in space! But not like rock raiders. More like a rugged, heavy duty Mtron.)*

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Just did a really quick Photoshop job on one of those Atlantis sets...

Could look better if I spent a bit more time, but I really want the set in these colours now!

8075-1_classic_space.jpg

Those Atlantis sets were so good. I miss non-licensed, exploration based themes.

I had another Lego dream last night. I was in a toy store and they had NEW Classic Space Lego sets. It was a little set with transparent yellow windscreens and a space man. It even had the yellow Legoland banner in the top left! I was like "What year is it?" Then I noticed this was part of a two-pack with a Friends set (which of course makes no sense) so I new I wasn't back in the 80's. I quickly realized that this still had to be a dream. But while I was holding that set in my hand I was soooo happy. 

On 2017-6-21 at 5:31 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I had some questions today I was pondering, and I thought I'd share them here as discussion starters.

The first question, a rather crazy one, is what do you think about the plausibility of the Ninjago theme venturing into space? Would it be viable, and if so, would you be interested in it if it were done right?

1. Nice suggestion! There was actually a show episode (see here) where the ninja go into space and land on a comet. I could certainly see Ninjago in space work from the point of sets that could be made: Mobile Suit Gundam-esque mechs, cyber/space punk vehicles and ancient space temple ruins. From a plot perspective... I bet the writers would find a way to make it work, a few plotholes here and there... mwah! :laugh: 

2. Especially if Rock Raiders would have gotten a LMS Explorer set (see trailer), I would count it as a space theme. Pretty much any extraterrestrial theme is a space theme to me. 

4 hours ago, badgerboy said:

Could look better if I spent a bit more time, but I really want the set in these colours now!

-snip-

Oh no!! Now I want it! :laugh::thumbup:

Just now, danth said:

Those Atlantis sets were so good. I miss non-licensed, exploration based themes.

I had another Lego dream last night. I was in a toy store and they had NEW Classic Space Lego sets. It was a little set with transparent yellow windscreens and a space man. It even had the yellow Legoland banner in the top left! I was like "What year is it?" Then I noticed this was part of a two-pack with a Friends set (which of course makes no sense) so I new I wasn't back in the 80's. I quickly realized that this still had to be a dream. But while I was holding that set in my hand I was soooo happy. 

Dreams like that can be both super satisfying and cruel... 

6 hours ago, danth said:

Wow! You dream about Lego?! Your so lucky!!! :laugh:

11 hours ago, badgerboy said:

8075-1_classic_space.jpg

That's so cool! It works very well in that color scheme.

On 6/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Hey, here's a thought. If Lego were to bring back classic space, obviously we would want the original color scheme for the vehicles and moon bases. Grey and blue with transparent yellow for spaceships, and grey with transparent green for land vehicles. But what about the minifigs? Would we want them to keep their minimalist style and remain the same? Or maybe add some knee pads and what not? How about accenting colors like dark blue, dark red, chima yellow, etc.? Or what about a entire revamp? What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks. :sweet:

As I was looking over some of the new TLNM set images, I was particularly interested in the new airtank piece (pictured on minifigure below) utilized on some of Garmadon's fishy thugs, and thought it would work nicely on a new spaceman figure paired with the S12 Space Miner's helmet (also pictured below). Now at the time, I'm still not sure if the separate airtank piece has dual airtanks like the one piece sharkhead/airtank mold (pictured below for reference).

35215772481_7456a677a7_n.jpg 7da070228e21c33a4eaed85e7effb18a.jpg34535253933_a1b6033ab7.jpg

On 6/22/2017 at 7:51 AM, badgerboy said:

Seeing that makes me realize how well Dark Bluish Grey works in place of Light Bluish Grey for the CS color scheme!

On 6/22/2017 at 1:20 PM, Exetrius said:

1. Nice suggestion! There was actually a show episode (see here) where the ninja go into space and land on a comet. I could certainly see Ninjago in space work from the point of sets that could be made: Mobile Suit Gundam-esque mechs, cyber/space punk vehicles and ancient space temple ruins. From a plot perspective... I bet the writers would find a way to make it work, a few plotholes here and there... mwah! :laugh: 

Now perhaps this would be less of a space theme and more like Alien Conquest, but thinking about it now, maybe pitting the Ninja against invading extraterrestrials would be more likely, with the Ninja fighting the invaders with their own themed starfighters in low atmospheric orbit. Ninjago starfighters could be quite cool, with medieval Japanese styling influences and many colored canopies matching each of the Ninja's colored spacesuits. :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I had this wacky idea today for a construction based space theme, made up of large cargo heavy hauler dropships and wielding mechs, all under the premise of spacebase construction. The color scheme of the utility vehicles I visualized would perhaps be Flame Yellowish Orange and Black with Trans. Bright Orange canopies. I think the name of this theme should be... Constructron. :head_back:

But seriously, you really can't inject a conflict based plot into such a theme, so something like this might never see the light of day, for now that is. 

Shifting gears now, here's something to ponder. What would a girls' minidoll space theme look like, and what do you think about the plausibility of the Friends theme going into space? Eurobricks user @rodiziorobs was talking about this recently in @Peppermint_M's Future Action and Adventure Themes thread, and it got me thinking. Perhaps Friends could have a space tourism subtheme made up of luxury commercial space shuttles and space stations with hotel accommodations, since after all, the theme's main characters seem like they have rich parents. :tongue: As far as an entire minidoll space theme goes, I could see a storyline revolving around a young female space colonist and her adventures exploring her new home with her newfound native extraterrestrial friends and fellow colonists. At least such a theme might yield some unique spacecraft, perhaps with some throwbacks and references to classic space themes. :shrug_oh_well:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I had this wacky idea today for a construction based space theme, made up of large cargo heavy hauler dropships and wielding mechs, all under the premise of spacebase construction. The color scheme of the utility vehicles I visualized would perhaps be Flame Yellowish Orange and Black with Trans. Bright Orange canopies. I think the name of this theme should be... Constructron. :head_back:

But seriously, you really can't inject a conflict based plot into such a theme, so something like this might never see the light of day, for now that is. 

Shifting gears now, here's something to ponder. What would a girls' minidoll space theme look like, and what do you think about the plausibility of the Friends theme going into space? Eurobricks user @rodiziorobs was talking about this recently in @Peppermint_M's Future Action and Adventure Themes thread, and it got me thinking. Perhaps Friends could have a space tourism subtheme made up of luxury commercial space shuttles and space stations with hotel accommodations, since after all, the theme's main characters seem like they have rich parents. :tongue: As far as an entire minidoll space theme goes, I could see a storyline revolving around a young female space colonist and her adventures exploring her new home with her newfound native extraterrestrial friends and fellow colonists. At least such a theme might yield some unique spacecraft, perhaps with some throwbacks and references to classic space themes. :shrug_oh_well:

I could definitely see the Friends theme itself having a "Space Camp" subtheme, which with a little creative license could include an actual space mission in addition to more realistic Earth-based training exercises. As for a more futuristic/fantastical sci-fi theme for girls, it'd be maybe a bit more of a gamble since girl-targeted sci-fi isn't as ubiquitous as other types of girl-targeted fantasy. But with brands like Star Wars and DC Super Heroes now being marketed more towards girls than in the past, that is the direction I see things heading. It's tough to say whether the ideal girl-targeted sci-fi brand would be a space theme, a mecha theme, or even something we haven't seen before in LEGO.

The main sci-fi properties I know are (or were recently) wildly popular with girls are dystopian ones like The Hunger Games and Divergent, but they are generally not too "toyetic" and also tend to be most popular with an older audience than the core LEGO age range of 6–12. Granted, I'm not all that keyed into what girls like.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I could definitely see the Friends theme itself having a "Space Camp" subtheme, which with a little creative license could include an actual space mission in addition to more realistic Earth-based training exercises. As for a more futuristic/fantastical sci-fi theme for girls, it'd be maybe a bit more of a gamble since girl-targeted sci-fi isn't as ubiquitous as other types of girl-targeted fantasy. But with brands like Star Wars and DC Super Heroes now being marketed more towards girls than in the past, that is the direction I see things heading.

I would totally be on board with a Friends space camp sub-theme, so long as the builds (and particularly the minidolls) were sci-fi enough. I think I would prefer a flat-out sci-fi minidoll theme, though, similar to what Elves brings to fantasy.

With DC Super Hero girls being a thing now, and Lucasfilm starting to market the women of SW (see this link in the Culture and Multimedia forum), I suppose it's not to farfetched an idea that we could see a minidolls SW theme in the future. I'm not sure how I would feel about that, since SW is kind of done to death already, and I don't know how much 'dolls would add to it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think the name of this theme should be... Constructron. :head_back:

:laugh: this cracked me up, thanks!

I agree a mech theme would be awesome, however I'd be hoping for something more like the rugged western adoption of mechs. Like the battletech universe, which could have enough variety for a nice theme product range. I guess that new big red Ninjago mech looks kind of like an Atlas..

In general however, I'm on the tip that it wouldn't necessarily make sense for Lego to cater to nostalgic AFOLs with an entire theme. I think the best examples are the ones where they cater to kids first, but put enough new parts that would clearly appeal to nostalgic theme fans. Atlantis as mentioned earlier, I feel, is a great example. When I crawled out of my dark ages, I bought all the local used atlantis I could find. Taking the classic complementary M-tron scheme and giving it modern pieces in a fun new theme for kids makes sense. Another example is the Lego Batman Movie vehicles, the frequent yellow canopies, new red wheels, likely give some of those sets enough appealing parts to pass thresholds for adults with disposable income, even ones indifferent to TLBM. 

Speaking of which, M-tron is one of my favourite themes aesthetically, but I was always under the impression that it is a shipping company. Their very small original theme never had any mining equipment in it. Is there a backstory I'm missing here?

Edited by mishtron
added links

1 hour ago, mishtron said:

In general however, I'm on the tip that it wouldn't necessarily make sense for Lego to cater to nostalgic AFOLs with an entire theme. I think the best examples are the ones where they cater to kids first, but put enough new parts that would clearly appeal to nostalgic theme fans. Atlantis as mentioned earlier, I feel, is a great example. When I crawled out of my dark ages, I bought all the local used atlantis I could find. Taking the classic complementary M-tron scheme and giving it modern pieces in a fun new theme for kids makes sense. Another example is the Lego Batman Movie vehicles, the frequent yellow canopies, new red wheels, likely give some of those sets enough appealing parts to pass thresholds for adults with disposable income, even ones indifferent to TLBM. 

On the subject of exclusive sets made for AFOLs, it's unlikely for Lego to make a exclusive classic space set for adults and that's the reason I started this topic in the first place. Originally, I and others discussed the possibilities of the Creator theme being used as a medium for introducing classic space sets, (along with other themes such as castle and pirates) but this topic has since been broadened to discuss other things under the subject of space. So feel free to share your thoughts and ideas. :sweet:

1 hour ago, mishtron said:

Speaking of which, M-tron is one of my favourite themes aesthetically, but I was always under the impression that it is a shipping company. Their very small original theme never had any mining equipment in it. Is there a backstory I'm missing here?

Yes, they were a mining cooperation that used magnets for their mining equipment.

Here is a good question for frequenters for this thread to ponder. If we were to definitely expect a new space theme in the near future, what would you not want from such a theme?

Also, while I personally don't think such a theme is possible while Star Wars is still around (for reasons I've given earlier on this thread), how would any of you feel about Lego doing a retro, 1930's comic strip styled space theme (think Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon) being done as opposed to something more inspired after traditional Classic Space themes of the 1970's-1980's? 

On 6/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, rodiziorobs said:

I would totally be on board with a Friends space camp sub-theme, so long as the builds (and particularly the minidolls) were sci-fi enough. I think I would prefer a flat-out sci-fi minidoll theme, though, similar to what Elves brings to fantasy.

I plausibly could see an original minidoll space theme taking after a retro, 1950's Jetsons style with bubble canopies and wild, exaggerated tail fins. I've always thought such a style would be cool for presumably a boy's theme, but I guess it may be more fitting instead for a girl's space theme.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, rodiziorobs said:

:laugh: this cracked me up, thanks!

Your welcome! :grin: It really was nothing, the whole theme idea did actually sprout off of the name, after I was fiddling around with the "tron" prefix in my mind. :shrug_oh_well: 

But thinking about it now, such a space subtheme could have plausibly happened in the 1990's, since after all, they did want to do a marine space subtheme.

4 hours ago, mishtron said:

I agree a mech theme would be awesome, however I'd be hoping for something more like the rugged western adoption of mechs. Like the battletech universe, which could have enough variety for a nice theme product range. I guess that new big red Ninjago mech looks kind of like an Atlas..

As long as such a theme does not turn out too "Power Ranger Zord-ish", I'd take any well done mecha theme, whether it be space or earth based. Having said that though, weaving modular combiner elements lightly into such a theme would be cool.

But yes, if a space theme isn't viable currently, parts such as colored canopies and related CMFs do help, and we do hope the Creator theme will in time give us some Classic Space inspired material in future sets. :excited:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here is a good question for frequenters for this thread to ponder. If we were to definitely expect a new space theme in the near future, what would you not want from such a theme?

My answer will probably be controversial - not classic space. No to the blues and greys and yellow windscreens. I'd hope they would do more greys, white and black, with accent colours for different ships.

Classic space style minifigs would be fine though, if they did a range of colours.

Edited by MAB

2 hours ago, MAB said:

My answer will probably be controversial - not classic space. No to the blues and greys and yellow windscreens. I'd hope they would do more greys, white and black, with accent colours for different ships.

Classic space style minifigs would be fine though, if they did a range of colours.

Well, that was the route they took with Galaxy Squad, using Trans. White canopies on white with factioned accent colors.

The thing is about that theme, is that it always seemed like Lego's more colorful, friendly take on Halo, something Lego even seemingly tried to use as inspiration for their previous theme Alien Conquest. Many fans did feel a little bit of blah for both of those subthemes because of their lack of more colorful canopies.

Also, I do think Lego would continue to keep space themes in a more colorful spectrum to avoid any similarities to Star Wars, and also to keep the theme from looking too military-esq, something that is of utmost importance to Lego.

15 hours ago, mishtron said:

I did a lot of digging several years back to figure out more about classic Space factions' place in the universe, and most of what I gleaned about M:Tron was that they were actually a high-tech rescue outfit. For instance, 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer was known as M:Tron Recovery Centre in UK catalogs, Unité d'intervention (Response Unit) in French ones, Mobiel M:Tron Reddingscentrum (Mobile M:Tron Rescuecenter) in Dutch ones, and M:Tron Rescue-Center in German ones. 6956 Stellar Recon Voyager was Rescue Star Cruiser in some UK catalogs, Croiseur d'intervention (Response Cruiser) in French ones, Supersnelle M:TRON Reddingskruiser (Superfast M:Tron Rescuecruiser) in Dutch ones, and M:Tron Rettungsraumer (M:Tron Rescuechamber) in German ones. Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Greek set names from catalogs also back up this interpretation, as do some commercials:

The idea of them being a mining or shipping company is probably just different interpretations of the contents of the cargo containers they carry. Some people see the crystal-like studs they carry as raw minerals, others as some other type of commodity. The second of these videos seems to present the cargo as containers for storing cleaned-up fuel spills or other debris. American set names, commercials, and catalogs were quite vague on this point, perhaps purposefully — the most detailed info I've seen on M:Tron in an American catalog was that they have the most powerful computers in the galaxy, technology that the Blacktron forces hope to steal.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I did a lot of digging several years back to figure out more about classic Space factions' place in the universe, and most of what I gleaned about M:Tron was that they were actually a high-tech rescue outfit.

Interesting. Any other interesting facts you found on the other factions?