Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

8 hours ago, x105Black said:

Interestingly, the wacky colored windshields were one of the things I didn't like about Space themes as I was growing up.  I understand wanting to build in a style that is reminiscent of the originals, that makes complete sense.  Still, I prefer plain trans and trans black for windshields.

Your comment has made me revisit Lego space MOC's on flickr, and I understand what your saying. Clear and black translucent windshields are simply a shape that conforms with the rest of the ship your designing. But ad a colored windshield to the model, and it does throw things off. Even if the model's color conforms with the windshield's color. But of course this all depends on personal preference. If anything, maybe it just takes more talent to design a model which has a colored windshield and have it all come out looking spiffy instead of tacky. One such model l found that accomplished this feat nicely was by Adam on flickr.

14522267852_4fcaa90fe3_c.jpgReminds me of the movie Oblivion. The orange windshield and very slight orange accents work very well for this model and it would lose a lot of it's flair without it. Now let's look at a model without a colored canopy.

5922082693_c7a1b09cb6_b.jpg

I chose this yellow model as an example because

(1) This model is awesome!

(2) Yellow is my least favorite color.

Both those points are really important when you put them together. Yellow being a very flashy and dorky color doesn't matter in this case because it actually works very well with the feeling of the model. Tough, strong, bossy, and mad. Making it look like a pissed off bumblebee. But throw in a colored windshield? Its going to look like this.

th?id=OIP.s5RE9G5UpLAuWE6qEP_mxgEsCp&pid=15.1

Oh! Its so pretty!!! :sick: You get the idea.

So in conclusion, colored windshields don't work everywhere, but when you get it right it will look awesome! But if your model isn't intended to be colorful, be it figuratively, literally, or both, best to go without. But if your thinking "this is my dang model and I'll use a dang colored windshield if I dang well please!", then go right ahead! You have my thumbs up.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Jim started a topic in the Special Themes forum. He ask for questions that he could discuss with the Creator Expert team at the end of the month. I tried to condense what has been discussed here about space sets in a future Creator Expert line. Correct me if I did it wrong.

25 minutes ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Jim started a topic in the Special Themes forum. He asked for questions so that he could discuss with the Creator Expert team at the end of the month. I tried to condense what has been discussed here about space sets in a future Creator Expert line. Correct me if I did it wrong.

Thank you so much!!! Yes I checked the thread that you mentioned, and all looks spiffy! Super awesome of Jim to start that thread for us fans! And thank you again!

(ALERT!)

Calling all SciFi fans! Jim will be interviewing creator expert designers at the end of this month and is seeking opinions, ideas, suggestions, and questions regarding the Lego creator theme! You can find the thread here.

If you wish to see creator based classic space sets, nows your chance to share your thoughts and hopefully make my it happen! Thank you.

LMF

I'm always going to be happy to see the classic moon logo... nice to have it printed on some of the newer pieces too. Trans yellow canopies, love them as well, if not in new classic space sets, then what are the chances of us seeing helicopters or similar with trans yellow windscreens?

4 minutes ago, badgerboy said:

I'm always going to be happy to see the classic moon logo... nice to have it printed on some of the newer pieces too. Trans yellow canopies, love them as well, if not in new classic space sets, then what are the chances of us seeing helicopters or similar with trans yellow windscreens?

Well then check out the link I left previously on this thread! You can share your thoughts and ideas on what you would like for a creator based classic space set there, and have it brought forward to the design team by Jim. :sweet:

On 5/6/2017 at 0:33 AM, x105Black said:

Interestingly, the wacky colored windshields were one of the things I didn't like about Space themes as I was growing up.  I understand wanting to build in a style that is reminiscent of the originals, that makes complete sense.  Still, I prefer plain trans and trans black for windshields.

Trans-clear and trans-black certainly are much more realistic and serious colors for canopies, but trans-yellow to me always has seemed to imply a back lit cockpit, with a yellow glow shining though the canopy giving a degree of realism.

I suppose the same can be said about other colored canopies, but trans-yellow implies that idea the best I think.

8 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Jim started a topic in the Special Themes forum. He ask for questions that he could discuss with the Creator Expert team at the end of the month. I tried to condense what has been discussed here about space sets in a future Creator Expert line. Correct me if I did it wrong.

Thanks Bob! You are the man!

I've edited this topic to broaden the subject of Lego space discussion on this thread. Since there appears to be no "Lego space themes/sets ideas discussion thread", I've joined the subject to this topic for consolidation reasons.

Well, plausibly I've always thought a Space Police/ Agents fusion theme would fly well. Instead of nameless cops, the heroes of the theme would be special intelligence ops, undercover agents working to foil a third iteration of Blacktron.

The theme could have unique, individual heroes and villains, somewhat like 2014's Ultra Agents, making it a character and storyline driven theme.

Now putting plausiblity aside, a space theme I really would like to see would be a 20s, 30s comic strip inspired space theme (think Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon fare). It could bring us many retro rocketcraft type sets, something I haven't seen much of amongst fan creations. The only thing is, it is the type of space theme I could not see coexisting at the same time alongside Star Wars, since it falls into the space fantasy genre much like Star Wars.

Having said all that, this is a good shift of topic for further discussion. :classic:

I skimmed the replies:

-Do we know for a fact that LEGO doesn't make a dedicated space theme because of Star Wars? That's disappointing, as someone who doesn't like overrated, overpriced Star Wars stuff. The only thing I like is the minifigures, especially the aliens because I like sci-fi in general.

-Deciding whether to design the sets for kids or adults Is a moot point because only adults can afford Lego sets anyway. And then you guys are talking about $500 sets? I don't even know any adults who would want to pay that, no matter how cool it is. I don't even know any adults who would buy a $20 set for their kids, they're so expensive for how little physical stuff you get. I understand precision parts are expensive and imagination is priceless and all that fluff, but observation and anecdotal evidence tells me adults don't want to buy LEGO. The only time I see or hear about adults buying LEGO stuff is on forums like this.

Sidenote: Star Wars LEGO boxes are the #1 box I see torn open at Walmarts because people steal the minifigs to "re"sell.

-I tried one Creator set, it was a small one. I thought, this is dumb, I can't make anything with these pieces. Then a few minutes later I was pumping out all these:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjFjuWna

This experience left me thinking we can make lots of cool stuff with almost any handful of LEGO bricks, I think associating Space (or any theme) with that feeling is a good idea.

However, is the initial "this is dumb" reaction common? I got over it, but will the majority of people get over that hump to give the set a chance, especially when talking about a $50 set? Are Creator sets even popular? Then if the Creator sets fail, will that make the company even more reluctant to release any more original Space sets?

I don't know, lots of things to consider and it's hard to make reasonable guess without real numbers to go off of.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I just skimmed over this topic, and I hope my perspective can add to it a bit. I was born in the mid-90's so the last pre-Star Wars space themes I had briefly encountered were Insectoids and the Town "space exploration" sets. I own a few of those Space exploration sets from the late 1990's, since one of them was actually one of my first real System sets and I picked up a few more years later. Star Wars though was a hit for me, and I have been getting sets growing up with the theme since its launch and I still collect it to this day... So to be honest I completely lack any first hand experience or nostalgia with the original "Classic Space" era. The only reason I have any interest in seeing MOCs of that stuff, or why I thought it was fun to get Benny in the Lego Movie Sets; is because I am a Lego fan and know of the theme as a "historic golden age" theme. As far as I am concerned, Classic Space is my dad's era; while Star Wars/Bionicle/Superheroes is my era. 

Now what I am seeing is a lot of my era of Lego toys growing up, has failed to catch on with the younger crowd. Star Wars and Superhero sets remain, in part though because of new movies and constant media saturation thanks to Disney and the other big media corporations making hit films one after another. What about the other Lego themes I grew up with? Bionicle flopped and made a nose dive for the ground when it relaunched, it just seemed that the magic of the mystical islands of cyborg robots didn't catch on with the new kids... Lego Studio, Mission to Mars, Lego Western, Lego Sports, are all completely off the radar for new kids; only really being fondly remembered by newly nostalgic "millennial" AFOLs. So my point to this is that Lego Classic Space could not come back in the same form it had and be a guaranteed hit, the very ethos which made it catch on in the 1970's-1980's are probably distant concepts with the average 10 year old now. When I see photos of Classic Space sets I am reminded of films like 2001 Space Odyssey, old NASA film footage, theme park rides like Space Mountain, Horizons or Adventure through Inner Space, and educational books which promised man would be on Mars by 1990 with floating ring space stations in orbit by 2010! It was an era where sci-fi was grounded in a sense of reality, anchored by the curiosity being generated by modern advances in the real world. Modern sci-fi/fantasy which a kid could be familiar with though is far different. Star Wars, The Guardians of the Galaxy, HaloDestiny, Independence Day, etc. hearken more to the pulp sci-fi era of the 1930's-1950's than it does to the grounded methodical thought of the 60's and early 70's. As the costs and technological challenge of real space travel surmounted, our creative visionaries turned their focus back on fantastical space journeys with conflicts, superweapons, aliens and galactic war. Not to mention films like Star Wars and Guardians have a highly marketable cast of characters which appeal to people on a human level, Star Lord and Han Solo are a lot more fun to watch on screen than Dave Bohman in 2001 was! :wink: Selling a non-conflict peaceful exploration theme to people now would be a hard sell.

Not to say that all modern science fiction is devoid of the factual look mid 20th century sci-fi had... The Martian for example is a successful film which returns to the classical idea of sci-fi being rooted in reality and the promise of near future technology. Although I haven't seen it yet, I have heard the TV series The Expanse has been similarly successful. And the breadth of NASA oriented sets which have come from Lego Ideas suggests there is indeed a science oriented crowd holding sway within the Lego community. But it seems when Lego wants to create in house sci-fi themes to market for kids; they must be patterning their themes off their in house successes with Star Wars and Superheroes. Life on Mars and Lego Discovery were the last full themes to focus on futuristic space exploration; since then most in house Lego themes have focused on science fantasy conflict. While a hard sci-fi theme such as Classic Space could be different enough from Star Wars to avoid in house competition; the fact Lego hasn't returned to that as a full theme leads me to believe they lack confidence that kids will buy up a hard sci-fi theme when an easier to market science fantasy theme has a better chance at success. And when Star Wars and Guardians are keeping fantastical space stories in the public mind, why wouldn't Lego want to tap into this free advertising?

In short, the ethos which helped the Classic Space era be successful might not have transferred to the toy buying habits of modern kids and their parents.

So what do I think Lego could do to be successful in bringing Classic Space back to the toy shelves? I think Benny's Spaceship and the Ideas Mech Suit show that Lego will drop Classic Space tributes into new one-off sets from time to time. This allows the small market of AFOL's to get small updates on the old sets they love while presenting something still attractive to parents buying for their kids. I like the idea mentioned in this thread a Sci-Fi type Creator Expert set could also be of serious appeal... imagine a nice D2C that is $150 of a modern take on a classic Lego moon base? I think a D2C would do well, allowing Lego to appeal to the nostalgic Classic Space crowd without risking a re-launched full size space theme would crash and burn. 

But do I think Lego could fully reboot Classic Space as a full theme? Probably not, at least not the same way they went about Bionicle G2, Alien Conquest, Nexo Knights, Chima, and etc... I don't think a lot of people really get into "hard sci-fi" until at least as a preteen where they have the curiosity to dig up the old Jules Verne books, watch films like 2001 and expand their horizon beyond the sci-fi/fantasy films and games they grew up with. Maybe a small theme of classic dip white space ships with a dash of classic Lego colors, with advanced building techniques, Technic functions, and motorization options could appeal to the crowd of pre-teens, teens, and adults looking for a bit more bite in their Lego sets beyond stud shooters and spring loaded missile guns. In the same way a Star Wars UCS appeals to a pop-culture/display model collector; a technical space set could appeal to those who enjoy science and technology. Maybe its just a crazy idea, but worth a thought!

Edited by xboxtravis7992

It's not easy to tell what a modern day space theme could or should look like. Space as a concept may not seem as exciting as it used to be, in the current public opinion, but I believe it's perfectly possible to get an exciting, refreshing space theme. If you have the right visual style, the content becomes less significant. Example:

Cyborg-M.M.O.-7.jpg

It's a computer mouse. :wink: 

I think this brings up an important point: design objective/perspective. This mouse is clearly made to be unlike any other mouse, to blow people away in awe. Most other mouses are simply made to fit the image of a mouse, therefor looking uninspired, but still good from a content point of view. 

The same can be true for space themes (although even more for Pirates and Castle). To me, Alien Conquest was just about the most recognizable, most uninspired, of the recent space themes, with green aliens invading earth in round, grey ufo's. Cliché! 

Alright, I'll continue my rant another time, getting late. :grin:

On 5/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, xboxtravis7992 said:

I just skimmed over this topic, and I hope my perspective can add to it a bit. I was born in the mid-90's so the last pre-Star Wars space themes I had briefly encountered were Insectoids and the Town "space exploration" sets. I own a few of those Space exploration sets from the late 1990's, since one of them was actually one of my first real System sets and I picked up a few more years later. Star Wars though was a hit for me, and I have been getting sets growing up with the theme since its launch and I still collect it to this day... So to be honest I completely lack any first hand experience or nostalgia with the original "Classic Space" era. The only reason I have any interest in seeing MOCs of that stuff, or why I thought it was fun to get Benny in the Lego Movie Sets; is because I am a Lego fan and know of the theme as a "historic golden age" theme. As far as I am concerned, Classic Space is my dad's era; while Star Wars/Bionicle/Superheroes is my era. 

Now what I am seeing is a lot of my era of Lego toys growing up, has failed to catch on with the younger crowd. Star Wars and Superhero sets remain, in part though because of new movies and constant media saturation thanks to Disney and the other big media corporations making hit films one after another. What about the other Lego themes I grew up with? Bionicle flopped and made a nose dive for the ground when it relaunched, it just seemed that the magic of the mystical islands of cyborg robots didn't catch on with the new kids... Lego Studio, Mission to Mars, Lego Western, Lego Sports, are all completely off the radar for new kids; only really being fondly remembered by newly nostalgic "millennial" AFOLs. So my point to this is that Lego Classic Space could not come back in the same form it had and be a guaranteed hit, the very ethos which made it catch on in the 1970's-1980's are probably distant concepts with the average 10 year old now. When I see photos of Classic Space sets I am reminded of films like 2001 Space Odyssey, old NASA film footage, theme park rides like Space Mountain, Horizons or Adventure through Inner Space, and educational books which promised man would be on Mars by 1990 with floating ring space stations in orbit by 2010! It was an era where sci-fi was grounded in a sense of reality, anchored by the curiosity being generated by modern advances in the real world. Modern sci-fi/fantasy which a kid could be familiar with though is far different. Star Wars, The Guardians of the Galaxy, HaloDestiny, Independence Day, etc. hearken more to the pulp sci-fi era of the 1930's-1950's than it does to the grounded methodical thought of the 60's and early 70's. As the costs and technological challenge of real space travel surmounted, our creative visionaries turned their focus back on fantastical space journeys with conflicts, superweapons, aliens and galactic war. Not to mention films like Star Wars and Guardians have a highly marketable cast of characters which appeal to people on a human level, Star Lord and Han Solo are a lot more fun to watch on screen than Dave Bohman in 2001 was! :wink: Selling a non-conflict peaceful exploration theme to people now would be a hard sell.

Not to say that all modern science fiction is devoid of the factual look mid 20th century sci-fi had... The Martian for example is a successful film which returns to the classical idea of sci-fi being rooted in reality and the promise of near future technology. Although I haven't seen it yet, I have heard the TV series The Expanse has been similarly successful. And the breadth of NASA oriented sets which have come from Lego Ideas suggests there is indeed a science oriented crowd holding sway within the Lego community. But it seems when Lego wants to create in house sci-fi themes to market for kids; they must be patterning their themes off their in house successes with Star Wars and Superheroes. Life on Mars and Lego Discovery were the last full themes to focus on futuristic space exploration; since then most in house Lego themes have focused on science fantasy conflict. While a hard sci-fi theme such as Classic Space could be different enough from Star Wars to avoid in house competition; the fact Lego hasn't returned to that as a full theme leads me to believe they lack confidence that kids will buy up a hard sci-fi theme when an easier to market science fantasy theme has a better chance at success. And when Star Wars and Guardians are keeping fantastical space stories in the public mind, why wouldn't Lego want to tap into this free advertising?

In short, the ethos which helped the Classic Space era be successful might not have transferred to the toy buying habits of modern kids and their parents.

So what do I think Lego could do to be successful in bringing Classic Space back to the toy shelves? I think Benny's Spaceship and the Ideas Mech Suit show that Lego will drop Classic Space tributes into new one-off sets from time to time. This allows the small market of AFOL's to get small updates on the old sets they love while presenting something still attractive to parents buying for their kids. I like the idea mentioned in this thread a Sci-Fi type Creator Expert set could also be of serious appeal... imagine a nice D2C that is $150 of a modern take on a classic Lego moon base? I think a D2C would do well, allowing Lego to appeal to the nostalgic Classic Space crowd without risking a re-launched full size space theme would crash and burn. 

But do I think Lego could fully reboot Classic Space as a full theme? Probably not, at least not the same way they went about Bionicle G2, Alien Conquest, Nexo Knights, Chima, and etc... I don't think a lot of people really get into "hard sci-fi" until at least as a preteen where they have the curiosity to dig up the old Jules Verne books, watch films like 2001 and expand their horizon beyond the sci-fi/fantasy films and games they grew up with. Maybe a small theme of classic dip white space ships with a dash of classic Lego colors, with advanced building techniques, Technic functions, and motorization options could appeal to the crowd of pre-teens, teens, and adults looking for a bit more bite in their Lego sets beyond stud shooters and spring loaded missile guns. In the same way a Star Wars UCS appeals to a pop-culture/display model collector; a technical space set could appeal to those who enjoy science and technology. Maybe its just a crazy idea, but worth a thought!

This here is a great post encapsulating everything regarding CS's viability currently, and you make some great points about space exploration's cinematic resurgence. Perhaps this may open doors for a conflictless space theme being feasible in hopefully less than a decade!

Now why though, couldn't a exploration space theme be inspired after shows such as Star Trek or Lost in Space, being centered around a single starship crew and their adventures? Perhaps, how about a theme centered around a storyline involving a crash landed starship crew aiding in the liberation of an oppressed native alien race from extraterrestrial invaders?

One certain thing about space exploration, is that it doesn't quite fall into the Star Wars realm of the space fantasy genre, therefore avoiding the cannibalization of Star Wars sales.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:25 PM, Exetrius said:

It's not easy to tell what a modern day space theme could or should look like. Space as a concept may not seem as exciting as it used to be, in the current public opinion, but I believe it's perfectly possible to get an exciting, refreshing space theme. If you have the right visual style, the content becomes less significant. Example:

Cyborg-M.M.O.-7.jpg

It's a computer mouse. :wink: 

I think this brings up an important point: design objective/perspective. This mouse is clearly made to be unlike any other mouse, to blow people away in awe. Most other mouses are simply made to fit the image of a mouse, therefor looking uninspired, but still good from a content point of view. 

The same can be true for space themes (although even more for Pirates and Castle). To me, Alien Conquest was just about the most recognizable, most uninspired, of the recent space themes, with green aliens invading earth in round, grey ufo's. Cliché! 

Alright, I'll continue my rant another time, getting late. :grin:

Well, I thought Alien Conquest was clever. Simple, but clever. It nicely merged City and Space together with a Halo-esq military squadron verses comical, 50's style alien invaders. The theme's successor, Galaxy Squad, also seemed to take after Halo on a light, Juniors-esq note, but nonetheless, both use a very tired conflict based formula.

Another route Lego could take a Space theme could be a Space/Racers crossover, inspired by the AFOL created GARC( Galactic Asteroid Rally Circuit) genre. This would be void of the usual good guys/bad guys shtick.

Here are some examples of the genre.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/tag/garc/

Edited by Digger of Bricks

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Now why though, couldn't a exploration space theme be inspired after shows such as Star Trek or Lost in Space, being centered around a single starship crew and their adventures? Perhaps, how about a theme centered around a storyline involving a crash landed starship crew aiding in the liberation of an oppressed native alien race from extraterrestrial invaders?

-snip-

Another route Lego could take a Space theme could be a Space/Racers crossover, inspired by the AFOL created GARC( Galactic Asteroid Rally Circuit) genre. This would be void of the usual good guys/bad guys shtick.

Sounds good! A mix of humans and aliens on both the good guy and bad guy side would be nice to see. And I could see a space racers theme work as well, because racing is an ever-popular concept.

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Sounds good! A mix of humans and aliens on both the good guy and bad guy side would be nice to see. And I could see a space racers theme work as well, because racing is an ever-popular concept.

It almost resembles Avatar, though with the villains as the extraterrestrials, the heroes as the humans, and the natives as the subject of the theme. Lego has often had aliens as villains/non friendly types, the only exception being 2001's Life on Mars theme.

Now the GARC inspiration for this hypothetical space racers theme first caught my eye due to some great creations by Sylon-tw, featured in this Flickr album linked below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sylon_tw/albums/72157644393526398

On 5/4/2017 at 7:31 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

As I was just saying in my previous comment and as you have pointed out, Lego should take advantage of existing themes and install parts into them that can be used elsewhere. 

Though I'm pretty sure no Classic Space let alone System fans would be interested, I'm surprised Lego have not done any Space or Classic Space type sets for the Duplo theme. The closest Duplo have touched upon anything space related are Disney Junior Miles From Tomorrowland sets (set no. 10824-10826).

Now as far as my initial comment about fans' interest in Duplo, I remembered this CS spaceship made by Peter Reid (Flickr  user Legoloverman) that utilizes a Trans-yellow Duplo canopy from an older Duplo helicopter set.

LL-137  'Blue Canary'

Space + Racing is a great opportunity to create inspired ship designs. And as we can see from around the web, they don't even have to be that expensive, somewhere like $15 to $20 worth of parts for a really nice personal racer.

However I'm afraid that the SNOTting and greebling needed to make awesome ships may make the builds too flimsy for little kids to play with, though I'm sure sturdy designs will pop up over enough iterations.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

16 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Space + Racing is a great opportunity to create inspired ship designs. And as we can see from around the web, they don't even have to be that expensive, somewhere like $15 to $20 worth of parts for a really nice personal racer.

However I'm afraid that the SNOTting and greebling needed to make awesome ships may make the builds too flimsy for little kids to play with, though I'm sure sturdy designs will pop up over enough iterations.

I would love to see GARCs made into Lego sets and since there are many possibilities for design and building techniques its a great concept to market to kids. As for the aspect of lacking SNOT and greebling techniques in the sets in order to make them sturdy, I wouldn't view that as a problem. Unlike fan creations these sets would be made strong and sturdy to insure that kids can have a fun playing experience and be able to fly them around the room or yard without worrying about them exploding into a million pieces when they accidentally drop it. (Or when the kid screams "Mayday! Mayday!!!" And throws it to the ground as he/her makes crashing and explosion sounds.) 

2 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I would love to see GARCs made into Lego sets and since there are many possibilities for design and building techniques its a great concept to market to kids. As for the aspect of lacking SNOT and greebling techniques in the sets in order to make them study, I wouldn't view that as a problem. Unlike fan creations these sets would be made strong and study to insure that kids can have a fun playing experience and be able to fly them around the room or yard without worrying about them exploding into a million pieces when they accidentally drop it. (Or when the kid screams "Mayday! Mayday!!!" And throws it to the ground as he/her makes crashing and explosion sounds.) 

I think one of the great things about a GARC theme would be the colorful variety of space racecraft, not being limited to just two opposing factions with their own uniform color scheme. Think of all the different colored canopies that would come in this single theme!

I can hope, perhaps that 2019's The Billion Brick Race, described as a Wacky Races, Cannonball Run type movie, could touch upon this genre if the film were to venture into space at any point.

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think one of the great things about a GARC theme would be the colorful variety of space racecraft, not being limited to just two opposing factions with their own uniform color scheme. Think of all the different colored canopies that would come in this single theme!

Also, another great concept about GARCs is that kids can be encouraged to design their very own personalized GARC. And yes, colored windshields!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I can hope, perhaps that 2019's The Billion Brick Race, described as a Wacky Races, Cannonball Run type movie, could touch upon this genre if the film were to venture into space at any point.

I could visualize that throughout the movie the characters would be constantly changing vehicles to suit their environment which, at one point or another, they would most surely go into space and probably encounter an obstacle course of meteors! That would be cool!

I've shared this thought on @danth's thread and thought I'd share it here also for discussion, along with linking @danth's thread since its a pretty good one relevant to this topic.

Currently with Disney's new wave of SW films, many have speculated original space themes may not be seen for quite some time, as presumed with the lack of any from 2002 to 2006 thanks to the SW prequel trilogy. But one type of space theme I could see possibly coexisting alongside SW currently without conflicting with it may be a space miners theme, resembling 2009-2010's Power Miners. Instead of sleek spacecraft, many of the sets would be composed of Tonka truck-ish low gravity mining vehicles and cargo transport craft. Power Miners was one of Lego's top original themes before Ninjago, so eight years later, I'm surprised we haven't seen a successor since then.

On 30-5-2017 at 1:53 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

That sounds so good!

One can only imagine Team Blacktron rolling up in a mean looking Space-Merc while 'Back in Black' is playing... :look::laugh:

Hey, here's a thought. If Lego were to bring back classic space, obviously we would want the original color scheme for the vehicles and moon bases. Grey and blue with transparent yellow for spaceships, and grey with transparent green for land vehicles. But what about the minifigs? Would we want them to keep their minimalist style and remain the same? Or maybe add some knee pads and what not? How about accenting colors like dark blue, dark red, chima yellow, etc.? Or what about a entire revamp? What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks. :sweet:

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Hey, here's a thought. If Lego were to bring back classic space, obviously we would want the original color scheme for the vehicles and moon bases. Grey and blue with transparent yellow for spaceships, and grey with transparent green for land vehicles. But what about the minifigs? Would we want them to keep their minimalist style and remain the same? Or maybe add some knee pads and what not? How about accenting colors like dark blue, dark red, chima yellow, etc.? Or what about a entire revamp? What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks. :sweet:

I like them to be minimalist, but I wouldn't mind a more detailed take. Now I do like the accenting color idea, perhaps with darker shades for the figures' helmets, air tanks, and hands. Maybe they even could have dual mold legs with darker shaded boots (a.k.a. Earth Blue boots on Bright Blue legs, Dark Red boots on Bright Red, etc.). :classic:

Its funny you posted this, since I just proposed an idea for the new CS Light Bluish Grey torso that came with S17's Rocket Suit Boy in the S17 Discussion thread which I've quoted here below.

Maybe this has been suggested on this thread or elsewhere before, but has anyone taken Rocket Suit Boy's classic grey torso and made a classic spaceman with the Dark Bluish Grey hands plucked and replaced with Bright Blue ones, then given a Bright Blue racer helmet with Trans-yellow visor and Bright Blue air tanks. Now maybe most classic spacers like uniform colored spacemen, but this combination would match the CS vehicle color scheme nicely I think. :classic: The only thing we don't have that would work well with this spaceman design would be dual molded Light Bluish Grey legs with Bright Blue boots. :sceptic: