Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Everyone remembers galaxy squad. Some liked it, some didn't. But everyone can probably agree that it was our last original,thought out, classic space theme. I liked it, but probably not the kids. At least that's what I suspect, considering the mark downs at Walmart. Because "nooooooo no no no"! Kids didn't want this.

LEGO-Galaxy-Squad-Galactic-Titan-70709.j

They wanted this!

Chowrentoys.com-LEGO-Star-Wars-Sets-7965

"Sigh" :cry_sad:

So where does that leave us? Stuck buying something like this?                        31034-LEGO-Creator-Future-Flyer-2015-Set-Box-e1415388325942.jpg 

So I'm thinking "If kids want Star Wars, why not make sets aimed towards adults?" Creator Expert Series anyone? Why not make a $100 to $500 dollar classic space for AFOL?

What do you think? :sweet:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

It is in my opinion that had there been no star wars episode 7, ST would have died peacefully, it lived a long life, well respected ,delighted fans, bla bla bla. Oh sure, there's the TV shows but... The big screen was the most important part of the cake! (I could have said frosting, but I'm really unsure which I like better). So what would have happened? Would all the memorabilia lose it's charm? What of all thee inevitable ST in the making documentary's? Probably get old fast. In short, kids will search for a new frontier. And no, I am not talking about star trek. That's Mattel. Sorry Trekkie's. Toy makers and Hollywood would be quick to provide to a large market of sci fi lovers! And hopefully, Lego would provide a big bang space theme which would be as  smashingly popular as say...ninjago!? Now There's something to daydream about! And as it increases in popularity, you would probably get a TV show and inevitablely...(drum roll)...THE LEGO SPACE MOVIE!!!!! Hap happy days! But..."sigh". It's not going to happen.

th?id=OIP.H4O5szr08ScFBf7n_nqJawEsDI&pid=15.1

Thanks star wars.

Personally, I love Classic Space, but Galaxy Squad isn't Classic Space.
Classic Space has aged very well, it now has a naive, adorable look. What came after it still screams 90's, to me. I don't much like any of them, except Space Police 3 for some reason, probably the fact that this theme had more background story, and the bad guys were more the heroes than the police.

Of course, I grew up with Classic Space, I got a few Futuron sets, but no Blacktron & the rest. I can imagine those who grew up with these themes loving them.

I think you are on the right track about reintroducing it in a Creator series, however most people are going to find $300-$500 for a megaset to be prohibitively expensive.  It would be nice to have some kind of parts pack where you have those blues, greys, some logo parts, transparent yellows, and a minifig or two.  Then, you could either do a 3 in 1 build with instructions or simply create something on your own.  I do believe there is a market there.  Not every spaceship has to be Star Wars either.  If I remember correctly, Benny's spaceship set from the Lego Movie sold really well.  

17 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I think you are on the right track about reintroducing it in a Creator series, however most people are going to find $300-$500 for a megaset to be prohibitively expensive.  It would be nice to have some kind of parts pack where you have those blues, greys, some logo parts, transparent yellows, and a minifig or two.  Then, you could either do a 3 in 1 build with instructions or simply create something on your own.  I do believe there is a market there.  Not every spaceship has to be Star Wars either.  If I remember correctly, Benny's spaceship set from the Lego Movie sold really well.  

Yes! My sentiment's exactly! And yes, about the high price tag idea I know what your saying, but weather your spending $50 for 500 parts or $500 for 5000 parts, the 10 cents a brick formula remains the same. (Except for star wars, which must have a huge licencing fee I would guess).

32 minutes ago, anothergol said:

Personally, I love Classic Space, but Galaxy Squad isn't Classic Space.
Classic Space has aged very well, it now has a naive, adorable look. What came after it still screams 90's, to me. I don't much like any of them, except Space Police 3 for some reason, probably the fact that this theme had more background story, and the bad guys were more the heroes than the police.

Of course, I grew up with Classic Space, I got a few Futuron sets, but no Blacktron & the rest. I can imagine those who grew up with these themes loving them.

Yes, galaxy squad wasn't classic space, but it was a space theme. And the chances that Lego will do another are small. (1) it probably won't do to good and (2) it would interfere with star wars. So to make a expert series set, be it large or small, is the way to go I think.

At the age of 18 right now, I didn't "grow up with classic space", but I can still appreciate it. If I had to pick which won I like best, I would pick mtron. But not so much the sets, but the concept. The concept of traveling to another planet and mining it's resources is very cool. And very unrealistic. That's the reason space travel has fallen out of favor. There's nothing to mine on the moon, and it's CERTAINLY not made of CHEESE! And every now and then you'll hear about them launching another tin can wrapped in aluminum foil with some solar panels stuck on it and how "OHH!" "Maybe there will be WATER on this so and so planet!" "Water?" "From another planet?" "COOL!" Not. So back to Mtron. They're mining away when suddenly they're attacked! "By who?!" BLACK TRON!!! "Oh no!" "Save us space police!" Ba da da DAAAAAA!!! SPACE POLICE!!! Serving criminals a nice big helping of JUSTICE! It may sound corny when I put it that way, but my point is Lego needs to go back to basics when it comes to classic space. Galaxy squad really was just a halo copy. And my guess is that kids would rather have fake Lego bricks and real halo, than real Lego bricks and fake halo. Bummer. So if Lego went back to basics, would it do good? I think so, when Lego introduced space police 2 they followed up with sp 3, so I assume it did well. And as for mining, look at mars mission. That did well. So why not bring back what has already proved successful? Lego can make it work if they do it right.

I grew up getting a lot of classic space sets as a kid.  It was my favorite Lego theme back when there was only Town, Castle, and Space as part of the Legoland System.  I really liked the Galaxy Squad sets and bought most of them (largely because my son was ~3 when they came out and I could built them with him).  I kinda wished I had not passed on alien conquest sets.

One of the things that I think sets CS apart from all that followed was that there were no overt bad guys - the theme was about space ships, moon bases and buggies exploring different worlds - not that we didn't make up our own bad guys to fight, but that was kind of the point with LEGO.  You actually had to imagine and create your own story line back then.

I would also tend not to characterize CS as a theme.  Instead it was a core "product-line" that spanned many years (essentially a decade from 1978-87). It maintained more or less a consistent color scheme across many years and allowed me as a kid, living within my parents birthday/Christmas budget constraints, to build up a large, usable collection of parts in common colors and decorated elements to build MOCs from while still keeping some of my favorite sets built.... so I was able to use parts from other sets to build companion ships to the galaxy explorer. Heck back then, all sets essentially only had blue, gray, white, black for primary colors with trans yellow, blue, green for choices of canopies.  Construction was all essentially studs up and the models were very basic by today's standards.  I remember making my own space base layouts on a card table that could hold a 3x3 grid of crater and landing pad baseplates. So in a sense, everything was simpler and maybe more kid-friendly back then?

The other thing that one also has to keep in mind is that space exploration was a relatively new, exciting area of research and development.  In the late 70s we had just wrapped up the Apollo program, the joint Apollo/Soyuz missions, and skylab.  All the buzz was about the new re-usable space shuttle (which most of the classic space ships LL918, LL924 and LL928 all generally resemble).  I remember my 1st grade class all gathering around a TV to watch the first launch of the space shuttle.  We were going to build a space station and the next stop was going to be mars.  Futuristic, sci fi movies and TV shows, like Cosmos, Star Trek, Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, 2001, and Starwars fed the interest in space.  Space was part of our popular culture - a thing to be excited about in general.  It was only natural for LEGO to introduce a toy line that capitalized off of the popularity of science fiction and space in general.

So what happened?  Somewhere along the lines our popular interest in space fizzled out.  Shuttle launches became routine (with the exception of Challenger and Columbia) the construction of the space station dragged out, manned missions have been diddling around in low earth orbit for 30yrs, and our plans to go to mars stalled.  Lucas wrapped up the Star Wars trilogy in 1983.  Sci-fi shows began to disappear from main-stream TV.  The various incarnations of Star Trek was the only real sci-fi main stay on network TV when I was in college in the 90s.  Scifi became a geeky niche relegated to its own cable TV channel.  

During that time of the 90s and early 2000s LEGO tried to keep the interest in the space product line going by introducing the concept of factions/themes and some of the early themes are classics in their own right (Blacktron, SPI, MTRON, etc) but now the themes had very short production runs (maybe a year or two) which probably helped drive sales (new pieces in new colors) and added to collectibility, but now made it much harder for a kid to have that large collection of common colored elements to build MOCs from.  The space theme became very fragmented with no real connection or continuity between themes.  In general set designs suffered with the later space themes (and across a lot of Lego products) as Lego seemed to be struggling with the changes in how kids approached toys in the emerging internet/video game/digital age.

When Lucas started the prequel trilogy in 1999 and revived the Star Wars franchise, LEGO scored the license rights which was and still is a huge seller (which probably helped them survive the early 2000s).  This however, pretty much ended hope for a continuing LEGO space line of products.  Lego did not do any space themes from 1999-2005 while the prequel triology was in theaters.  They only appeared to attempt to return to their own organic space lines from 2007-2013 as interest in the Star Wars was winding down after Revenge of the Sith.  In those years it would be interesting to see how the organic space themes did against updates and re-hashes of previous Star Wars sets.

One of the side effects of the Star Wars and other licensed products is a demand for model/color accuracy that prior space sets did not have to worry about.  On the one hand, this has been great as to achieve more true-to-scale representations of a fictional vehicle it has driven more complex building techniques into official Lego sets and other Lego products and making the sets more appealing to older kids and AFOLs.  On the other hand, the color variations between models within a "theme" and within the model itself means it has become very hard to amass a "critical mass" of pieces in similar colors for MOC building without resorting to the second hand markets.  In other words, the Lego sets are becoming less of a general building system and more like stand-alone "snap-together" model kits with the exception of the creator line which seems to be returning an emphasis on ability to build multiple models from one set.

Now with Disney buying the Star Wars property and pumping out a new movie every year and having animated series to fill gaps in the timeline - I would not expect to see many LEGO space themes, beyond one-off ideas sets (I am thrilled with the Saturn Rocket set that is coming soon) or sets that have tie-ins to LEGO movies anytime soon.  Star Wars is the only sci-fi/fantasy space theme that still appears to capture and drive popular culture.  Everything other sci-fi property out there is either not kid-friendly or just too geeky to appeal to the general population.

Kids are also different now. They grow out of toys earlier and move into digital media and video games at earlier ages than they did when I was a kid.  The latest generation seems to be so inwardly focused on their digital devices that I think a lot of traditional youth interests and activities are starting to die out.   I think that is why Lego currently seems to be so heavily dependent on licensed themes or internal themes that are tied to a TV show or movie.  They seem to need to have their toys tied into a story-line or virtual world that has been fed to them than one they create in their own minds.

So if we get a Lego movie set in space then we will probably see some cool space sets.... however, it won't be a continuing theme or product line unless there is a continuing media tv show tie-in or video game series tie in to keep them going.

Other than that, I think an ideas set or a creator set might pop up on key "classic space anniversary dates".  I would love to see a direct-to-consumer space themed set along the lines of a neo-classic space base that contains a large ship, landing pad and control center....

Just my thoughts,

drc

6 hours ago, drclark said:

not that we didn't make up our own bad guys to fight

..which makes me remember, when I was a kid, my bad guys were kinda punk-ish (the 80's..), and my good guys were often ninja's (using peasant cowls). So, while I don't care much for Ninjago nowadays, I can understand the appeal for kids. Even though.. ninja's, that was very 80's as well, weird that it's still going on.

6 hours ago, drclark said:

I think that is why Lego currently seems to be so heavily dependent on licensed themes or internal themes that are tied to a TV show or movie.  They seem to need to have their toys tied into a story-line or virtual world that has been fed to them than one they create in their own minds.

to be fair, it was already the same when we were kids. Transformers.. MASK.. and many others, were shows purely made to sell toys, from the beginning.

On 17/04/2017 at 1:33 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

And yes, about the high price tag idea I know what your saying, but weather your spending $50 for 500 parts or $500 for 5000 parts, the 10 cents a brick formula remains the same. (Except for star wars, which must have a huge licencing fee I would guess).

The formula might be the same, but the sales of a 500 part $50 set are likely to be significantly higher than a 5000 part $500 set. So lego would probably want to make a range of sets at different price points rather than one super set. Plus, it would probably give us more flexible parts packs if they were smaller sets, as you could buy loads of one cheap set if they contained the parts you wanted, rather than having to spend $500 on a single super set that contains loads of parts you might not want.

DRC, you are so right. And thank you for sharing you insightful view on these things. Your point that I think is most important (and the saddest) is how so many kids need story lines and TV shows in order to play out scenario's with there toys instead of thinking up there own. But on the flip side look at how well the city theme does? Doesn't get more basic than cops and robbers! And yes, your view on space travel falling out of favor is so true. As for traveling to mars? Well... We already have really. We just haven't set foot on it.

Now I want to go back to city for a moment. When ever I think of city, it never ceases to amaze me that it still does so well! Especially when it's up against things like ninjago, star wars, and super heroes. City is the reason I haven't lost hope in the idea of classic Lego standard's and don't fear that they'll die off. And that is why for something like classic space to succeed, Lego will have to avoid the big bang theme route and market it to kids who like city and creator. I still do think it could work. 

On 4/19/2017 at 5:43 AM, anothergol said:

to be fair, it was already the same when we were kids. Transformers.. MASK.. and many others, were shows purely made to sell toys, from the beginning.

Yes , this to is very true. When ever this subject comes up, I always think about how cartoon characters like the Flintstones, and Rocky and Bullwinkle we're designed to sell cereal! Not the other way around! Look it up.

59 minutes ago, MAB said:

The formula might be the same, but the sales of a 500 part $50 set are likely to be significantly higher than a 5000 part $500 set. So lego would probably want to make a range of sets at different price points rather than one super set. Plus, it would probably give us more flexible parts packs if they were smaller sets, as you could buy loads of one cheap set if they contained the parts you wanted, rather than having to spend $500 on a single super set that contains loads of parts you might not want.

I see your point. Agreed.

LMF

I'm surprised that city stuff still sells. Even as a kid, I was finding it boring. I mean, whatever is too close to reality, I find it boring.

I find it weird that castles are gone while city is still there, but hey, Lego probably knows better. Although, everyone says that Nexo Knights is a great theme & that kids love it, but they're still the sets that are the most heavily discounted out there. Surely they must not be selling that well.

5 hours ago, anothergol said:

I'm surprised that city stuff still sells. Even as a kid, I was finding it boring. I mean, whatever is too close to reality, I find it boring.

I find it weird that castles are gone while city is still there, but hey, Lego probably knows better. Although, everyone says that Nexo Knights is a great theme & that kids love it, but they're still the sets that are the most heavily discounted out there. Surely they must not be selling that well.

I find City to be boring as well, for the same reasons.  But the general population lacks imagination and creativity, therefore rooting a theme in something they know means that they can relate.  Aside from that, others just like City because most stories are told in present day.  There are also many fans of superheroes, and City acts as a nice supplement to Marvel and DC storytelling.

Back to the topic, I'm a much bigger fan of Classic Space.  I'd love to see something like what was described above, a hybrid Space theme.  Put Classic Space, M-Tron, Blacktron, and Space Police together in a theme as different factions and have them interact.  That could be really cool.

Probably everyone has different opinions, but to me the only legit space themes were those spanning Classic Space through insectoids. Life on Mars felt like a good spin-off, but the only modern space theme that I really liked was Space Police III. (In fact, I used to feel pretty strongly about this). I do feel that Galaxy Squad has some great designs, but maybe I don't really follow it because I'm too busy collecting minifigs from the CMF line and licensed themes.

Although I'm an avid SW minifig collector and fan, I think most of the builds in SW sets are unappealing. Aside from the X-wing, the UCS R2, the Millennium Falcon, and a couple other sets, to me most of the ships feel too gray and unexciting, at least when compared to the classic space theme spaceships. Personally, I like to get myself a retired Space set every once in a while (even though I'm pretty satisfied with my modest Space collection), when I find space (no pun intended) in my budget. Although I'd love to see more ships on the level of Benny's spaceship or the main ship from SP III (both of which I actually couldn't pass up), my wallet is already so drained by all of my Lego interests, that I don't mind waiting a few more years to see one. I'd also like to save some of my money to get a Lego pirate ship, which has been one of my dreams for years. So to me, whenever Lego doesn't release something that I want, the silver lining is that they already release much more things that I like than what I can afford.

I understand that SW has hurt the space line. It really has. And we'll have to wait some more years, maybe even a decade, for Lego to release multiple space themes simultaneously like they did in the 80s and 90s. It kinda sucks, but hey, if you have the money, at least you can either buy other things they have, or get yourself some sweet retired space sets. Plus, it's Lego, so you can always build the spaceships they don't make. Besides, if you're like me and are a fan of both Space and SW, just be happy about the things that we actually get.

Just my thoughts!

44 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I find City to be boring as well, for the same reasons.  But the general population lacks imagination and creativity, therefore rooting a theme in something they know means that they can relate.  Aside from that, others just like City because most stories are told in present day.  There are also many fans of superheroes, and City acts as a nice supplement to Marvel and DC storytelling.

Back to the topic, I'm a much bigger fan of Classic Space.  I'd love to see something like what was described above, a hybrid Space theme.  Put Classic Space, M-Tron, Blacktron, and Space Police together in a theme as different factions and have them interact.  That could be really cool.

Well yes city is rather boring, but I like model trains and that sort so you can see where I'm coming from. But the reason I bring it up is to prove the point that not every kid wants ninjago. And these are the kids Lego would market a space theme to. Civilians being attacked by the bad guys, and saved by the good guys. And this is what space police 1 was, but there were know miners or civilians for 2 & 3. And as for city, I actually lament that there's so much cops and robbers. I like the great vehicles, trains and that sort. But cops and robbers in space? Gota have it! This was my favorite which was, of course, designed by the one and only Mark Stafford.

5973-4.JPG

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Well yes city is rather boring, but I like model trains and that sort so you can see where I'm coming from. But the reason I bring it up is to prove the point that not every kid wants ninjago. And these are the kids Lego would market a space theme to. Civilians being attacked by the bad guys, and saved by the good guys. And this is what space police 1 was, but there were know miners or civilians for 2 & 3. And as for city, I actually lament that there's so much cops and robbers. I like the great vehicles, trains and that sort. But cops and robbers in space? Gota have it! This was my favorite which was, of course, designed by the one and only Mark Stafford.

Castle has the same problem, where there are 2 warring factions and not enough of the civilians (miners would be fine for Castle as well).  That's why I'd love to see Castle and Space both return with multiple factions and civilians.  Mix it up a bit.

9 hours ago, anothergol said:

I'm surprised that city stuff still sells. Even as a kid, I was finding it boring.

Yep, me too...

Although I have bought all of the sets from the modern Space themes & a lot of the late 90s, I still consider the last "real" Space theme to be Exploriens. After that point it gets difficult to mix the factions together in one big cohesive display. 1996! Yet the last "compatible" Castle release was 2013. I think time has well and truly left us CS fans behind, going forward it's tribute sets or nothing.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

Castle has the same problem, where there are 2 warring factions and not enough of the civilians (miners would be fine for Castle as well).  That's why I'd love to see Castle and Space both return with multiple factions and civilians.  Mix it up a bit.

Agreed! Castle needs miners, dwarfs, vikings, villagers, etc. Something neko knights never had. And while I'm on the subject of neko knights, I might add that it did have great parts for space moc's. But I still felt sorry for all the castle fans that may have been expecting something classic castle. And IMO castle fans are some of the most talented builders around. The amount of detail put into such small areas that then in turn spreads out into an entire kingdom just blows me away! Along with pirate moc's as well. Heh, there's another classic theme that's been forgotten for licensed themes like pirates of the caribbean.

LMF

I've been saying this for a while but I think Lego could release one space set a year as a themed Creator set and it would be a hit. One Creator set shouldn't compete too badly with Star Wars either. 

Year one: Classic Space Creator, instructions for space ship, rover, base

Year two: Blacktron Creator, instructions for space ship, rover, mech

etc. M:tron, Ice Planet, and Futuron would be pretty popular too I bet.

Just make sure to include 3 minifigs in each, as well as a decent assortment of windscreens and wheels (which could double as thrusters or columns for bases). 

50 minutes ago, danth said:

I've been saying this for a while but I think Lego could release one space set a year as a themed Creator set and it would be a hit. One Creator set shouldn't compete too badly with Star Wars either. 

Just make sure to include 3 minifigs in each, as well as a decent assortment of windscreens and wheels (which could double as thrusters or columns for bases). 

Spot on! Couldn't agree more. Of course your average set probably contains the makings for a bad guy & good guy build, but this wouldn't be the case if it was a creator set as you and I have suggested. All the the more classic IMO.

LMF

You know what would be cool? LEGO City- in space. Perhaps an entirely separate theme, just so normal LEGO City doesn't get too wacky. Imagine robbers smashing through the wall of a bank with a thick-fronted speeder, only to be caught by the space police right afterwards. Or imagine the fire department! Since there are no flames in space(or at least none small enough as house fires), I guess a pipe or something could break open and allow water to freeze over a building and maybe some citizens. The fire team would come in and unfreeze the flames with heat rays, perhaps represented by the same pieces used for the elemental blades in Ninjago. Not to mention construction, or a space-zoo, or a mining team in the city's outskirts! LEGO wouldn't be limited to the boundaries of real cities. They could even add in space travel, or space military defending it from hostile alien attackers! The possibilities are endless...

10 hours ago, Evolved Turtle said:

You know what would be cool? LEGO City- in space. Perhaps an entirely separate theme, just so normal LEGO City doesn't get too wacky. Imagine robbers smashing through the wall of a bank with a thick-fronted speeder, only to be caught by the space police right afterwards. Or imagine the fire department! Since there are no flames in space(or at least none small enough as house fires), I guess a pipe or something could break open and allow water to freeze over a building and maybe some citizens. The fire team would come in and unfreeze the flames with heat rays, perhaps represented by the same pieces used for the elemental blades in Ninjago. Not to mention construction, or a space-zoo, or a mining team in the city's outskirts! LEGO wouldn't be limited to the boundaries of real cities. They could even add in space travel, or space military defending it from hostile alien attackers! The possibilities are endless...

Hmmm? Not bad! I have often thought of the concept of a "future city theme". Where you would have your everyday things that you do given a futuristic spin. Cars would fly, owning and using a personal space ship would be the same as owning and operating a personal plane, if not easier. Commercial space travel to another planet to see grandma and grandpa would be as simple as 123! And it would turn out that black holes make great garbage dumps! And yes since cops and robbers is such a fun and important part of city, it would most certainly be included. With a spacey twist of course! Oh, and I really like your idea for a space zoo! That would be cool! Thank you for your wonderful and super groovy ideas!

LMF

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, danth said:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has been thinking something like this or even using the newer "classic" theme in the same way, like a "space supliment box" with lots of various parts and an astronaut or two.

1 hour ago, Megagan said:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has been thinking something like this or even using the newer "classic" theme in the same way, like a "space supliment box" with lots of various parts and an astronaut or two.

Yes, it would be perfect IMO. And also, I think its the right demographic of buyers. Kids (and adults) who buy creator sets would be in the market for something like this. You probably couldn't do it as a BBT. Kids who buy that stuff want more POW! and WAM!, and some lame TV show to go with it :sick: . So I really do think creator Is the way to go.

LMF

I want to thank all who have replied to my thread. What started out as a lamentation\rant thread just for fun has sort of turned into a host of people agreeing on my idea for a creator based classic space set(s)! Its been really great finding out that other people have had the same idea as I've had all along! Maybe I should turn this thread into s poll? What do you think? Yes or no for a creator based classic space theme set(s). And thank you again.

LMF