11 members have voted

1. 1. On scale 1 to 5.

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_17796.png.0b82c8bae0c9c1cb2f4c5e26ac22ce1c.png

'A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.' Remember this? Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was a movie dated back in 2001. Can you imagine its already 2017 now? I own this set a little bit after I've came out of my dark ages of LEGO, and I was very lucky to have it before it retires.

Overview

Name: Gandalf Arrives.
Theme: LEGO Lord of the Rings
Year: 2012
Pieces: 83 pieces
Minifigures: 2
Price£11.99 / $12.99 / RM69.90

Join Gandalf the Grey as he travels to the Shire to celebrate the 111th birthday of his old friend Bilbo Baggins and relive the opening scene of The Fellowship of the Ring! As Gandalf makes his way through the Shire on his horse and cart, he meets an excited young hobbit, Frodo Baggins. This is where the legendary adventure of The Lord of the Rings begins! Includes 2 minifigures: Gandalf the Grey and Frodo Baggins.

• Includes 2 minifigures: Gandalf the Grey and Frodo Baggins

• Also includes the new LEGO horse

• Accessories include book, staff, backpack and letter

• Features horse cart, carrot and barrel with fireworks

• Collect the exclusive Gandalf the Grey minifigure!

• Build the scene where the adventure began!

• Cart and horse measures 6" (16cm) long

Introduction

In Fellowship of the Ring, the movie started with the peaceful life of the Hobbits in Shire. Nobody knows Bilbo is having the one Ring for so long, making him immortal. This year, Gandalf arrives at his doorstep for his 111th birthday. And his arrival started stirring their peaceful life into bringing the ring to Mount Doom. I love that movie.

Lets get started.

This is the box art of the set. You can see very fine weather of Shire scenery as the background with the nice wagon. And you get a carrot to feed the horse! At the side with the 1:1 picture, the background was actually the map of middle earth. I like the green so much.

Inside of the box we get one instruction booklet. This set is quite small and as you can see in the picture, you get a wagon, a horse, Gandalf, Frodo and a book. It was a random book without any stickers on it. Should be the one Frodo reading before he sees Gandalf.

The Build

It really looks exactly the same as in the movie, isn't it?

The building technique was easy, it only took around half an hour to finish it but as in the picture, some modification needed to be done to save the smoothness of the cape.

As you can see in the picture, the 1x1 round plate added detail to the back part of the wagon and the wood planks covers the inside of the wagon nicely. The overall build was very simple and complete.

The Minifigures.

As for minifigures of this set, we got Gandalf the Grey with his pointy hat and Frodo Baggins in his green shirt. Both of them are very detailed but not exclusive to this set.

Gandalf's beard actually damaged the cape a little bit but its insignificant. I suppose the sling bag was carrying weeds.

This set is very nice to add into collection as it makes a very nice display. Now its time to get the Hobbit house.

IMG_0178

This is how it looks like in front of the house.

Summary review

Playability: 6/10 (This is kind of a display set. Nothing to play with actually.)

Design: 9/10 (The design of the wagon was very nice and movie accurate.)

Price: 8/10 (The price was considered low when I got it before it retires.)

Overall: 8/10 (The designer had done a good job designing it to be added to your Shire scenery for the wizard's appearance and cute home looking Frodo.)

Edited 2 hours ago by kaelthas
Edited by kaelthas

Great review - and very cool to see a sort of "retro" review like that. We need that these days, with no historical sets around...

I like this set myself. It's very charming for a set this size - and Gandalf can be used with a yellow head and hands, which is a huge plus for me. :grin:

Nice review, and indeed long time from seeing a review, congratulations! :classic:

8 hours ago, Hive said:

Great review - and very cool to see a sort of "retro" review like that. We need that these days, with no historical sets around...

I like this set myself. It's very charming for a set this size - and Gandalf can be used with a yellow head and hands, which is a huge plus for me. :grin:

Thanks. Glad you liked my style of reviewing. Really do hope lotr will have new sets but its quite impossible.. why yellow head and hands for Gandalf?

7 hours ago, Niku said:

Nice review, and indeed long time from seeing a review, congratulations! :classic:

Thanks. Maybe long time no new historical sets.. but i'm making more. Stay tuned.

On 20/4/2017 at 2:05 AM, kaelthas said:

Thanks. Glad you liked my style of reviewing. Really do hope lotr will have new sets but its quite impossible.. why yellow head and hands for Gandalf?

Because I'm one of those old school collectors who refuses to use "realistic" skin colours. Yellow all the way, baby! :laugh: