Rail Co

12v Train Motor regreasing help?

Hello Guys!

I am trying to find grease in America that would be safe to use on Lego 12v motors (from the 80s) without paying horrendous prices. I am wondering if anyone has found suitable grease in the U.S. I have had a few people tell e about ROCO 10905 but that would be $20 to have it shipped over here from Europe.

Thanks

-RailCo

I know a little about grease and oil but it depends on what you are lubricating. If its the gears I suggest sewing machine oil, which is very light and clean. Just don't use to much! Seriously, like a micro drop on each gear. Hope this helps.☺

You might want to consult various scale trains' offerings, like Lionel, Marklin, Bachmann, etc, since a lot of their models' internals nowadays use plastic components. I use some plastic safe lubricant from Bachmann that works really well-- the only drawback is i tend to use wayyy too much, and have to wipe everything down again. Also, it can gunk up fast depending on where it's used, so you may have to break stuff down every 1,000 miles or so.

4 hours ago, Rail Co said:

See I don't want to use oil if possible because oil can soften plastic.

-RailCo

Well the last time I cracked open an m motor,("GASP!") I'm pretty sure that's what they used. And if its the right type of oil, it won't soften the plastic. And plus it will be less likely to attract dust which would be worse than no lubricant. But if you still want a plastic safe grease, than I suggest white lithium grease. But again, use only a little.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan