IMG_8557.jpg

This is my latest MOC: an Ariel Atom 500 in 1:9 scale! Technically it isn't a true scale model since I didn't use exact dimensions (I just build what I think looks best), but size-wise it's about 1:9.

The real car

The real car is the fastest ever variant of the Ariel Atom, a street-legal car built for track racing. Released in 2008, the Atom 500 features a 3-litre transverse-mounted V8 made from two motorbike engines. It produces 500 horsepower (hence the name) and redlines at a rather insane 10,500 RPM. Other modifications include massive wings and the gold-painted exoskeleton. The car weighs only 550kg, giving it a power:weight ratio of over 900hp/tonne (higher than anything short of a Koenigsegg) - It recorded a 0-60mph time of just 2.3 seconds and could reach 200mph. It was the fastest road-legal car around the Top Gear Test Track for over two years. That record lap was on damp tarmac - had the track been dry, it would probably still be at the top. Only 25 of these cars were made, selling for around £200,000 each.

My model features:

• Remote control drive and steering with Power Functions - 1 XL motor for drive and 1 M motor for steering
  • 4-speed sequential gearbox operated with paddle-shifters
  • Working steering wheel
  • Full independent suspension with longitundinally-mounted shock absorbers
  • Steering has zero scrub radius
  • V8 engine replica with moving pistons

The zero-scrub radius was a new idea for me. When playing around with suspension linkages, I discovered that mounting the links in a certain way would cause all four to move when turning (rather than just the steering link). The center of steering was further outwards, almost exactly in the middle of the wheels (I think it's where the suspension links would intersect when extended, but I'm not sure of this). The geometry I chose works almost perfectly for 68.8x36 ZR tyres on 56mm rims. Here's a picture of the steering links in their two extreme positions superimposed - the point where the wheel shafts intersect is the center of steering:

steering.png

The suspension is standard double-wishbone in the rear, but with a sideways lever converting the upwards motion of the suspension into longitudinal movement of the shock absorber:IMG_8595.jpg

The transverse V8 was very difficult to fit in because it has even dimensions and the rest of the chassis has odd dimensions. It is connected directly to the XL motorIMG_8589.jpg

The interior (or as close as you can get to an interior in an Atom) features two racing-style seats, a steering wheel and paddle shifters:IMG_8572.jpg

IMG_8591.jpg

The aesthetics were rather difficult at times. The framwork was very difficult even with the 42055 yellow parts (in fact, getting that set is the reason why I built this model), and at times I had to use some tricks. For example, the rear framework looks like it has two beams crossing in an X-formation when in fact the left and right halves of the "X" are two separate structures:IMG_8560.jpg

I also replicated the exhaust pipes and gigantic rear wing. One of my favourite parts of the model is the side intake and its red stripe:IMG_8573.jpg

The PF IR receiver is disguised as the air intake and roll hoop:

IMG_8569.jpg

For more pictures of the car, see my video below. Music is composed by me as well:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhmgbCIpHT0[/media]

This project is also on LEGO Ideas! I know the success rate is extremely low for such projects, but it would be amazing if this set because a reality! Please support my project here. Any support is much appreciated.

Edited by TheMindGarage

1 hour ago, tomek9210 said:

The imaginary intersecting point is at the outside of the wheels, which is way too much.

It isn't. With the wheels I'm using, the midpoint is 1 stud from the end of the axle which is actually very slightly beyond the intersection point (meaning the setup undercorrects slightly rather than overcorrects).

Looks great but could you make a white version? Also will you make instructions?

Edited by Aventador2004

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

Looks great but could you make a white version? Also will you make instructions?

It's already taken apart, so no instructions. I'd rather spend the time to make more MOCs.

I have quite few pieces (I run out of a lot of things when building this - collection is probably in the region of 8,000 pieces), and I definitely don't have enough white parts to make it in white (I think I have two 16-stud white axles and that's it).

25 minutes ago, TheMindGarage said:

It's already taken apart, so no instructions. I'd rather spend the time to make more MOCs.

I have quite few pieces (I run out of a lot of things when building this - collection is probably in the region of 8,000 pieces), and I definitely don't have enough white parts to make it in white (I think I have two 16-stud white axles and that's it).

Ok, I have about 3000 technic parts so I probably take apart a lot more.

The suspension in this build is really cool. I don't see to many people use the large springs but they suit this car nicely! (it helps there yellow too:wink:)

Very well done and an excellent use of given parts! You did an awesome job colour coding everything, looks great! 

I not like so much the look, but technically You have done great job - trying to replicate look and building all the technical part.

14 hours ago, Jurss said:

I not like so much the look, but technically You have done great job - trying to replicate look and building all the technical part.

Looks don't tend to be my strong point, but glad you liked it!

Edited by TheMindGarage