I have 2, from 8421 and motor pack. Hardly ever use them, should do more with them actually. Bought some pf extension wires to connect them to pf system, but turned my attention to manual operated mocs for now. Maybe in next moc...

I have none :pir-cry_sad:

In fact, cheap brushless motors and associated parts can be more readily available than buggy motor..., and the challenge of integrating them with Lego pieces (without destroying them) opens up a fresh new dimension of Lego-ing! :laugh:

3 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

In fact, cheap brushless motors and associated parts can be more readily available than buggy motor.

Yes, but I don't think you can use them without a specialized motor driver.

No...too expensive for my taste, maybe if one pops up on the cheap i will buy one. Easist way to get this part is buying 8421 second hand. The prices of that set have come down ALOT in recent years. Though...i thought this topic would be covering the buggy motors found in 8475 etc. ?

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Yes, but I don't think you can use them without a specialized motor driver.

That'll be the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) - allows for the fine-tuning of acceleration (e.g. burst force) and brake (e.g. pulse braking for stability, strength of drag brake, etc). Basic ESC + brushless motor pair can cost a mere USD25. But of course, you'll also require 3rd party transmitter/receiver (probably another USD20 or so depending on brand)... not expensive at all considering the fact that you get way more torque and speed, and the control distance gets to hundreds of meters :laugh:.

No I don't have any. I doubt I would use it so it's not worth the high price. I prefer using current parts that are still in production. In that way, more people will be able to build my MOCs.

1 hour ago, PorkyMonster said:

That'll be the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) - allows for the fine-tuning of acceleration (e.g. burst force) and brake (e.g. pulse braking for stability, strength of drag brake, etc). Basic ESC + brushless motor pair can cost a mere USD25. But of course, you'll also require 3rd party transmitter/receiver (probably another USD20 or so depending on brand)... not expensive at all considering the fact that you get way more torque and speed, and the control distance gets to hundreds of meters :laugh:.

Yes, but you also need to make sure they all work together.

By the way, we seem to have gone off topic a bit. It might be worth starting a separate topic for this.

Yes, I have 4 all came in sets (the cheapest way to obtain them). I wish I'd be building more MOCs with them.

I have 4 from 8475 and 8366. I agree, cheapest way to get them is with sets, first of all in auctions, like ebay. If you want significant power with pure Lego, RC buggy motor (only with RC unit!) is essential. PF and V2 receiver can't get even close to the power of RC system because of the internal thermal protection, which regulates the current, and once it switches on, power drops to a very low level.

11 minutes ago, Tamas Juhasz said:

PF and V2 receiver can't get even close to the power of RC system

They do actually, although the RC unit can power 2 buggy motors instead of just 1 with PF.

They don't. Voltage is about the same in RC and PF, but RC can deliver much higher current to the motors, instead of PF energy supplies (BB or Lipo) which can reach maximum 1,5 A. The RC unit doesn't drops the power, when it's under significant load. The only info, I couldn't find is the maximum current the RC unit can produce, but it's surely much more than PF/V2 receiver. It doesn't matter, the V2 receiver can give 1,5A per channel, when your battery supply can't.

References:

https://social.sbrick.com/forums/topic/103/sbrick-and-5292-rc-motor

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/64203-using-rc-buggy-motors/

http://www.philohome.com/tech.htm

Edited by Tamas Juhasz

7 minutes ago, Tamas Juhasz said:

Voltage is about the same in RC and PF, but RC can deliver much higher current to the motors

That's what I meant, PF only has enough current for 1 buggy motor, but the speed is the same (I should know because I have PF and RC).

Edited by mocbuild101

Have a total of six, planning to do a Buwizz powered vehicle with them. THE POWER WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD :wacko:

Yes, I have two, I got them from bricklink. We must preserve old parts that are no longer made, i.e don't throw them out in the track or damage them!

Edited by SNIPE

On 4/14/2017 at 1:44 AM, Richard Dower said:

No...too expensive for my taste, maybe if one pops up on the cheap i will buy one. Easist way to get this part is buying 8421 second hand. The prices of that set have come down ALOT in recent years. Though...i thought this topic would be covering the buggy motors found in 8475 etc. ?

The motors are the same, there is no difference between the ones in 8421 and 8475.

Also, I don't know where everyone is getting the cheap prices for RC gear. Trust me, it is not that cheap. Plus, you have to worry about interfacing non lego motors, and it rapidly becomes a major headache. I bought the motors and associated receiver in order to make a trial truck that could run outdoors, but I might not need to since I also have SBricks. We'll see, maybe I'll do one with each control method, and see what happens.

10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Yes, I have two, I got them from bricklink. We must preserve old parts that are no longer made, i.e don't throw them out in the track or damage them!

This essentially is my concern.  I don't have any...... but it is not the cost that keeps me from buying one or two.  I would gladly fork over the money...... but they are now around 11 years old. Even if one were to buy one unused.... I think mechanical or electrical degradation would set in at some point.  I am no electrical engineer, but I worry about decreases in performance over time.  These are brushed motors btw.... which have a limited lifespan.  If one would buy one used..... you really have no idea the abuse that the motor may have already been through.  Now..... I know that many owners out there are saying....."mine work just fine" - but you likely have already gotten your use out of them.   And past performance really does not indicate future performance.  If I were to buy one, I would need to know that it would provide me years of good play - which , in something that is electrical, a brushed motor nonetheless and over ten years old, I just don't think that is a guarantee I am going to get......

7 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

If I were to buy one, I would need to know that it would provide me years of good play - which , in something that is electrical, a brushed motor nonetheless and over ten years old, I just don't think that is a guarantee I am going to get......

Lego motors are built very well, and I would think that any motor that is working will keep working for a long time.

Two of my motors I have got came from a VERY used Hot Flame set (that the previous owner bought when it had just been released) and I have been using them for over 2 years now, and they still work great.

Again - I understand they are working well now.  But, its not like Lego has its own plan that produces its own motors (or at least I would highly doubt it).  These are brushed motors from somewhere..... and work by the principles of brushed motors.  Eleven years old and counting.... perhaps I am wrong, I would sure like to be.  But IMO 11 years is enough to at least concern me enough that buying them is not worth it at this point in time. 

Well, hopefully Lego will eventually make a modern PF version :wink:.

Or you could use 3rd party RC motors...

Edited by mocbuild101