33130784894_c5611a976a_z.jpg

September 2013 the first WIP picture of my crane was uploaded, now 3,5 years later I dare to say the model is finished. In all these years I have faced a lot of technical challenges with this model, thought most of them are solved a few remain annoying (steering and drive). In the end I consider the model done and decided to learn from the not fully working features to improve on in later builds. Other tough challenges that were beaten in this model are: Fully capable outriggers that lift the complete model of its axles, Lift of the boom using a brick build linear actuator, fitting tens of meters of wire in the model to power all the led's. A full list of the features can be found at the end of the post.

Even though I consider myself quite a purist a few elements of this model are not from TLC. For control the model uses 5 sbrick's together with a custom profile, enabling all the rc features I needed with a good signal . Since the PF led's are way to expensive and dull I decided to solder my own led's with the right color and a good brightness. The stickers are supplied by JaapTechnic. More pictures can be found on my flickr

33130784814_842b76c46e_z.jpg

Full road configuration with 14.4 tons of ballast weight.

33130784724_84e4f28d15_z.jpg

The spreader plates are stored on the back. All the light are controlled by the Sbricks, this includes the indicators, beacons and reversing lights.

33130783724_2cefa2eaff_z.jpg

Yes this actually lifts. With the jib mounted the piston is able to erect the then 1.7 meter boom to full height.

33974595815_21146427e2.jpg33130784534_14188cf7ae.jpg

Fully erected the model stands 2.6 meters tall. Even though the model faces a lot of technical challenges all of the details are added including full interior in both cabins.

Full feature list. Motorized functions: Drive, Steering, Outriggers front and back, Compressor for the outriggers, Slewing, Boom lift, Boom extension, Winch, Cabin lift. Light functions: Normal driving lights, indicators, hazard lights, beacons, reversing lights, working lights on the superstructure. Other functions: All cabin doors open, Openable storage doors on the back, Full suspension, Folding jib with multiple angles, Folding safety railing.

Edited by dikkie klijn
Movie ADD

I knew this crane probably from the start. I think I still have the first WIP photo you showed back then, and followed the build all the way.

A truly masterpiece in probably most popular 1:17 scale.

Is video planned?

Wow, this is a really beauty.  I'd love to see some technical photos of how the functions are accomplished.  Or a video would be even better!

Thank you all :). I will make a video when I find a suitable place to shoot it, giving quite a challenge with a model this size.

Edited by dikkie klijn

I remember seeing a few of the WIP photos... Wonderful finished product! Great functionality, and the livery is beautiful. An empty parking lot is a good place to film large creations.

Longest WIP ever, but worth the waiting...!!! :laugh: :thumbup: You've done a great job and I love all of it... :wub:

I've invited you to add some picture to the SMA Flickr stream... :classic:

Stunning model and the photos are unreal. I love the black background with the yellow and blue model. Led lighting is captured perfectly.  

Very impressive! Biggest respect for the endurance and patience, not to mention a fortune must have been spent on the parts :thumbup:! Scale modeling at its best. 

Amazing job and outstanding attention to detail. I love all of the snot work on the model, and the function/structure of the jib is great. 

Brilliant. Beautiful and functional at the same time. Very impressive. I'm interested in how these outriggers work, that is a lot of load they have to carry...

Is great modeling skills. But i want to know how you can make boom lift? Because i had made one liebherr 6.1 before,  i know the boom lift structure. So i want to get some ideas from your model. 

Thanks guys! I will see to make some detailed pictures/ldraw thingies of the mechanical functions, hope to have them in a week or so.

Amazing model, the functionality is pretty incredible, especially with the boom!  Very accurate looking - and that's just plain a cool colorscheme!

This is one stunning model, the level of detail is wonderful. Did you paint the rims? Love the colour overall.

Okat, didn't know the classic 24x43 tires fit on those rims.

Edited by Dafgek81

That's an amazing build! I love it! :wub:
All the details, all the functionality. Great work!

I can remember the first images you posted of the chassis and that feels so long ago (and it is).
To be honest, I kinda though you stopped building it. It's great that you've had the dedication to work on it for all those years. :thumbup:

Btw, the video is also very nice. :classic: