EKae

[LDD] Mortesv's CR90 corvette (reverse-engineered version)

Here is the first and biggest one. Once I put mine spine and engine block together, there was one plate of gap between the two. I fill it in as per below. This is a good thing as it helps tie the bottom row of upside-down 1x4 w/studs on the side in much better.

34654927692_fe9d37aeea_z.jpgCR-90 Engine block V2.5 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

I also replaced the brick that holds the 1x2 grill on with a technic 1x2 brick w/two holes (green arrow). This will prevent the grill piece from twisting out of alignment which it does very easily.

Finish off the front of the block like this:

34818078875_9ee4a448ac_z.jpgCR-90 Engine block V2.6 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Additions pieces needed:

2x#3035: 4x8 white plate

2x#3021: 2x3 white plate

1x#4477: 1x10 white plate

4#32000: 1x2 Technic brick w/ 2 holes

8#4274: White Technic 1/2 pin

4#3622: White 1x3 brick

DONE! At least for now. Pictures to follow tomorrow if all goes as planned. For tonight, a little detail on an area that need some TLC to fit right. This top (and bottom)  fin area had a some gaps and didn't seat all the way down so I redesigned it. The only problem is that the best solution used a pair of those dreaded strap hinges but it's worth the results in my opinion. To fit in the hinge, I had to rearrange things a little on the outer spine area.

34489582990_06f981f7d6.jpgFuselage 4.3 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

34712694132_33fecfba0e_z.jpgFuselage 4.2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

34836361426_2e8d6c84f8.jpgFuselage 4.1 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

I should have the LDD files and a scrubbed parts list ready tomorrow also. As I've eluded to earlier, I've broken the model down into 4 sections. It has 2858 pieces

1. Backbone.

2. Engine Block (946 pieces)

3. Fuselage (1251 pieces which include backbone)

4. Engines (661 pieces) 

34065688073_f6e8b31bcd_z.jpgFuselage 4.4 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

@ecmo47 YAY! ? Can't wait to see the pictures! I just began my build this afternoon, so hopefully I won't be too far behind!

@ecmo47 looking good Scott!

One thing though (as always :wink: ). You have included the 2x4 wedge plates in the red stripes on the middle part of the ship - they should be white :)

IMG_1571.jpg

Happy 40th Anniversary! What better way to celebrate then to complete a model of the first ship that roared across the screen in 1977 and into legend. After 46 days of building, rebuilding, designing, re-designing, ordering and re-ordering, I finally have a CR-90 of my own. Thanks to all who helped make this possible: Mortesv, EKae, Bricksmarlin and all others that chimed in on the last 9 pages. This model is a compilation of those that have gone before. So here are some pictures to critique (and please ignore the misaligned 1x2 grills).

34081910573_53c7a6968b_z.jpgDSC02011 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

34852840646_bb26c59127_z.jpgDSC02026 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

34760967991_ecac98c5e9_z.jpgDSC02017 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Stats:

Scale: 1/250
Length: 24 Inches/61cm
Weight: 4Lb 10 oz/1814 grams
Pieces: 2857
Bricklink orders: 12 (ish)
Start to finish:  46 days

Edited by ecmo47

Thoughts:

1. It's a fantastic model and very solid. It does of some detail parts that it will happily shed but over-all very swoohable!

2. Three point stand is overkill. Per pictures it will balance on the middle one but two is all you need. (And really you can pick any two points.)

3. There are still some areas that I'd like to improve. The one that bugs me the most is the large gap between the upper and lower planes of the middle fuselage. I'd like to see if I can get the more slope out of the upper and lower hull surfaces to close that up some. (DBG area above the escape pod rack).

4. A different solution to modeling the fins back to the docking pod would be nice. The flags are ok but I'm not sure that trying to work a 3x12 wedge into that area will look much better.

5. I'm still haven't worked a final solution to hold up the 4 bottom engine flaps that want to fall down and become speed brakes. 

6. I'd like to build another of random color since I have about 1/2 the needed parts already!

Again, it's been fun and I look forward to future builds with ya'll. My fleet (and any others?) will be in display at Brickfair, Virigina  August 3/4. Next up for me is a pair of Hammerheads, TIE fighters and other small ships I can get done in the next 2 months. Times a-wasting!

Here is a TIE Striker to threaten the CR-90. I didn't scale it like Mortesv would, but it looks about right.

34730350462_c33b0b88b9_z.jpgTIES by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Congratulations Scott!

Regarding 4, have an idea... :)

Congratulations Scott!
Great work, looks fantastic!
Maybe a 2x4 plate and two 2x4 wedge plates to cover the gray parts!?

gallery_8754_6681_252230.jpg

Edited by bricksmarlin

Does anybody have any ideas for a TIE interceptor? Or maybe a TIE bomber? I have 20 normal TIEs, but I feel I am missing the other types. :)

Edited by EKae

Only if you get rid of the hideous avatar!

Actually I did some work in the Lego room yesterday to get everything set up in preparation for Brickfair, Virginia. Probably in a week or two.  

It is a "Nacktmull", I have no english translation. It was our mascot when I played soccer but I will look for a better avatar.:laugh:

Here's a picture of ecmo47's TIE striker. I modified the wings a bit to make them more streamline :)

IMG_4252.JPG

Top view:

IMG_4255.JPG

Really like it - must make more! :)

Work is also coming along well on the CR90! I finished the fuselage and am halfway through the engine block, so I will be done soon! :)

Edited by EKae

Nice improvement on the striker. Like the way the wings are closer to the body. I've got parts inbound for six I believe.

Yay! :)

The CR90 Liberator is complete! Here are some pictures (sorry about the links instead of actual pics)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tbyw98e2rrxx7o/IMG_4263.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nds4ugbbkx28uzm/IMG_4267.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21pa7o6yycbholx/IMG_4268.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3k7i1hhqqngzxd/IMG_4270.JPG?dl=0

I'd really like to thank everybody who assisted in this project, especially Mortesv: If not for his model I would never have been able to re-engineer anything! I thought this was a really fun and great experience, with many people coming together as a community to help build this - again, thanks! I would also really like those instructions, Mortesv/Cjd223; when I was designing mine I often came across the question, "How did Morten do THAT!?" :)

I think the color scheme turned out great, as well as the whole model. I'd emphasize other people making color schemes besides the Tantive's!

Now, I'm going to build some fighters and wait in anticipation . . . for Mortesv's next project! :)

Looks awesome! Here's one of your shots.

35022989835_aca300f2b3_z.jpgEKae's CR-90 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

I built some fighters today and worked on the Hammerheads. I need to come up with another stand for them to get some height. Any thoughts?

@EKae Thank you for the kind words :)

@ecmo47 Looking good Scott, sweet colour scheme :)

Regarding my next project I have a confession: There is actually more than one project coming up :D

@mortesv: That is EKae's CR-90, not mine. I just posted the picture from his link so it would be easier for all to see. 

I'm working of multiple projects too: a TIE bomber and a TIE Interceptor. I hope we are not duplicating efforts! :laugh:

Edited by ecmo47

@EKae: I just noticed that you used a bunch of LBG levers with LBG base  (#4592c05) which only comes in a few very expensive sets (USC MF , Y-wing and DS II).

I hope you were the green arrow order and not the red one!

34218498283_4525817964_z.jpglevers by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

Thumbs up @EKae.  Another great looking Cr-90.

When I saw the LDD file for the first time I was not sure, but the color scheme looks really cool with real bricks.

@mortesv   that sounds great :laugh:

My project for this weekend is Renegade Clones Zeta Class Shuttle.:wub: (and maybe the Saturn V)

@mortesv more?! Great! :)

@ecmo47 I actually just finished an LDD for a TIE interceptor . . . I'll post a picture soon :) also, I didn't use LBG levers - I used the light gray ones, which are MUCH cheaper, and easier to find in quantity. :)

Edited by EKae