EKae

[LDD] Mortesv's CR90 corvette (reverse-engineered version)

This is the first I have heard that you have CJD223 working on instructions. I was very excited to see EKae LDD instructions simply because you never gave much of an indications that you were going to get around to releasing your plans. Last I remember, you said that there was issue with the many illegal connections and hinted that you were on to other projects (like spending time with the little tyke!)  Anyway. I'm going to go ahead and build EKae's version and will purchase the plans when they come out as I am very conscious about giving credit (and compensation) where it is due.

It appears that I may have a jump on building this as I've already placed several parts orders. In usual fashion, I had intended on giving progress reports and upgrade suggestions but will hold off (on posting things) if you would like to keep the genie in the bottle as much as possible until official plans are published. It appears that your hand was prematurely (and unknowing) forced.  I hope that this doesn't cause any hard feelings down the road. You have been a tremendous asset to the Lego Star Wars community and I am eternally greatful for all the talented folks out there that allow me to use their creative work.  I look forward to more of your outstanding work in the future. 

By the way, has anybody done a scale TIE striker yet? 

Edited by ecmo47

I agree with ecmo47. I'm sorry if this has caused any pressure, and I didn't mean to copy your work in a bad way. I was going to hold off on building my version anyways. Yours is going to be stronger, and I just want to give my best regards. Definitely going to purchase the instructions as soon as they are available!

Ewan

7 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

This is the first I have heard that you have CJD223 working on instructions. I was very excited to see EKae LDD instructions simply because you never gave much of an indications that you were going to get around to releasing your plans. Last I remember, you said that there was issue with the many illegal connections and hinted that you were on to other projects (like spending time with the little tyke!)  Anyway. I'm going to go ahead and build EKae's version and will purchase the plans when they come out as I am very conscious about giving credit (and compensation) where it is due.

It appears that I may have a jump on building this as I've already placed several parts orders. In usual fashion, I had intended on giving progress reports and upgrade suggestions but will hold off (on posting things) if you would like to keep the genie in the bottle as much as possible until official plans are published. It appears that your hand was prematurely (and unknowing) forced.  I hope that this doesn't cause any hard feelings down the road. You have been a tremendous asset to the Lego Star Wars community and I am eternally greatful for all the talented folks out there that allow me to use their creative work.  I look forward to more of your outstanding work in the future. 

By the way, has anybody done a scale TIE striker yet? 

Yes, my hand was forced a bit :) But there are no hard feelings :) Both the instructions maker and myself are busy on other projects, but I knew that we would someday get around to making instructions. However, there was no reason to promise a date for instructions release, when I did not even know which year they would be done :) Regarding my ldd, I wanted everything to be perfect, but as time went on I think it is fine to create instructions out of :)

3 minutes ago, EKae said:

I agree with ecmo47. I'm sorry if this has caused any pressure, and I didn't mean to copy your work in a bad way. I was going to hold off on building my version anyways. Yours is going to be stronger, and I just want to give my best regards. Definitely going to purchase the instructions as soon as they are available!

Ewan

There is no need to apologise - you did tell me beforehand you were working on it and I could have told you my plans :) I was a bit surprised to see it released to the forum though, which makes it a bit harder to motivate the instructions maker - but again, I could have been clearer about my intentions. There are no hard feelings, you have done a great job and I am flattered by all the effort you have put into recreating my work :)

I think you should build your version, I am curios how it turns out. Mine is built in two sections whereas your is connected. There are a few other differences but I'd like to see the final result of your approach :)

But please beware of the weight of the engines :)

Will definently buy these instructions on day 1.  Come on CJD223!  Knock them out asap.  There will be demand!

Edited by Lahh001

@mortesv: You can count on me to buy instructions once it is out! It is the least I can do to repay the time and effort to create such masterpieces and share it with the community.

@EKae: Again, thanks for the LDD, it is really nice to see someone put in a great effort in coming up with a reverse engineered LDD on such a complex build.

Still working through the parts list and came to part #3043 (slope 45 2x2 Double) in Light Blue Grey. They are rare and about $5.00 each!

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3043&colorID=86

I could not find them on the LDD this morning on a quick look. Where are they? I'm looking to substitute are different part (2x1, 2x3, or 2x4 double slope) or a different color (white).

Anybody tried to generate the building guide yet? My compute has been thinking about it for 10 minutes and is only at 2 studs and now I have to go to work.

Took my laptop (i7-7500 with 16GB RAM) about 30-45min to generate the building guide... Yup, it takes that long. :(

@ecmo47 you probably don't need those. They are inside the flaps of the main body, and you can substitute them for any color you want, as they are on the inside and aren't viewable.

Thanks, Gentlemen. I was able to locate them per EKae direction. Since they are not visual, what purpose did they have? They do not appear to assist in creating any of the odd slopes of the fuselage side wings.

I thought they might be able to create the angle of the slope for the main body, but it didn't do much and I didn't remove them. :)

Parts are all ordered! Building will hopefully commence soon. I'll post updates of progress. 

I'm sure some are curious on the cost. I spent $473.58 on 10 orders. I pulled some parts out of  my collection but most were purchased. I always over buy (maybe for a 2nd CR-90?) so you may be able to get by cheaper with you stick with exact parts counts. I ordered by targeting the parts with highest quantity/rarity and then added whatever else that shop had. The first part ordered were the thirty-two 4275 and 4276 1x2 plate hinges in light grey. Mortesv said that he used a different hinge system on his CR-90 as these are getting a little hard to find, thanks to the Neb-B build! Also, target the 91x #11477 and the trans-clear stand pieces. Once I got down to about 60 lots, I created a Brinklink "wanted" list and that helped locate the final needed lots.

I would like to see a corvette built in blue (or any colour other than the standard Tantive IV scheme) as per Rogue One and Rebels, i think it would look brilliant.

Hey, I will probably start this project very soon as my GR-75 isn't looking to happy by itself on my desk. Ecmo, since you have this pretty much thought through, are there any major things i should note before starting to bricklink the parts? Also over viewing some of these models for the past few months, i think that 59349 could be a great substitute for the trans clear quarter cylinders as they are much more on the market. Im also debating on new or used parts, i feel that i will end up getting some, but i hope they aren't in terrible condition.

Hi guys, the 4275 and 4276 hinges are not neccesary, just use normal hinge bricks :)

Unfortunately the 3x3 dish does not come in trans-yellow - otherwise I would of course have used that :)

8 hours ago, atlas said:

I would like to see a corvette built in blue (or any colour other than the standard Tantive IV scheme) as per Rogue One and Rebels, i think it would look brilliant.

Like this from Revenge of the Sith (ROTS)?

34091771575_cb3ac6b677_z.jpgCR-90 from ROTS 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

7 hours ago, wmxproductions said:

Hey, I will probably start this project very soon as my GR-75 isn't looking to happy by itself on my desk. Ecmo, since you have this pretty much thought through, are there any major things i should note before starting to bricklink the parts? Also over viewing some of these models for the past few months, i think that 59349 could be a great substitute for the trans clear quarter cylinders as they are much more on the market. Im also debating on new or used parts, i feel that i will end up getting some, but i hope they aren't in terrible condition.

No more notes that what has already been posted. If you want my scrubbed parts list, just send me a PM with your email address.

There are many options to replace part #85941 (Cylinder Half 2x4x5 with 1x2 cut out). Most do not look quite as "clean" as the cylinders though. Here is one option that looks pretty good. Part #46212 (1x2x5 brick) is pretty common but runs about 60 cents (USD) so it's not a cheap option as you need 4 per section. Tie your column together with a couple #11833 (4x4 round plate with 2x2 hole).  (Bricks shown here in blue for visual clarity.)

33250040364_90b91c2cb5.jpgPedastol option 1 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

4 hours ago, mortesv said:

Unfortunately the 3x3 dish does not come in trans-yellow - otherwise I would of course have used that :)

Oops. Didn't check that part availability on that suggestion. I wonder if you could mod the engines so that a yellow or gold 3x3 disk is buried behind a couple trans-clear disks.  

Edited by ecmo47

@ecmo47 yeah, you could do try that - have just tested that in my ldd but it is a bit hard to judge, looks a bit funny from the side :)

Speaking of engines, they are set up and constructed a bit different than mine, but from I see I would suggest skipping the core of 2x2 round bricks entirely. They serve no purpose and add weight. I would also suggest using 3 1x2 technic bricks with cross axle holes (instead of two) to fasten the technic axle that runs through the outer engine part and into the inner engine part - this may mean you'll ned longer axles though.

By the way, the ship in ROTS is not a CR90 but a CR70. It is an earlier and slightly shorter variant of the Corellian Corvette - then engine housings are also clearly different ;)

Oh, and I'll promise not to use any trans #85941 bricks for my next moc ;)

Edited by mortesv

Update:

I searched through my collection today and was able to locate and find 25% of the parts for the CR90 in my collection. There are a few parts like 11477 that have 91 parts you need for it, and their relatively expensive on BL, but they are on the PAB wall at Lego Store's (For Now). Also, my last comment i made is false and that the parts in dark red can be swapped out for blue if you so choose to. I am holding off on placing bricklink orders until Ecmo builds his own and makes his own adjustments to the model.

IMG_0956

Edited by wmxproductions

18 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Like this from Revenge of the Sith (ROTS)?

34091771575_cb3ac6b677_z.jpgCR-90 from ROTS 2 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

No, like mortesv said i think that is supposed to be a predecessor. These colour schema from rebels is something I'd like to see. For example this is the Liberator, (or "Pheonix home")

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/c/c1/Liberator.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151119040237

Another angle of the Liberator (art from episode guide for Fire Across the Galaxy): open-uri20150608-27674-txxd82_a5ab6b42.j

Another one from episode "gathering forces":

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/f/f2/Gathering_Forces_40.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150213152912

Another corvette from this episode (art from episode guide for Fire Across the Galaxy):

open-uri20150608-27674-1dq0jnj_3a676a3e.

Thank you  Mortesv for this incredible design, and to EKae for taking the time  to reverse-engineer it.

I've just placed bricklink orders for this build. I plan to buy Mortesv's instructions when they become available, but I couldn't wait.

I did not buy any of the transparent parts for the stand. I will probably display it with landing gear down. The Star Wars Rebels Wiki page has some nice clear concept art of the Tantive IV's landing gear deployed: http://starwarsrebels.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gathering_Forces_Concept_12.jpg

I also did not buy any of the parts for EKae's internal framework. I can design my own, and make sure it is strong and light enough.

The total came to about £150 over 9 orders (but I sourced some of the parts from my own collection).

For anyone in the UK wondering which parts are likely to be expensive:

Large white plates - for some reason, all the plates larger than 4x4 were expensive and rare. I decided to use smaller plates to make up the needed sizes.

3x3 double slopes - thankfully, you only need 4, but  only a few shops have them and they are pretty expensive for a single piece. I worked them into my orders anyway.

1 x 4 x 5 half-cylinders. 22 required for the engines and barely any available. I substituted the older 1 x 4 x 4 cylinders and an extra 4x4 round white brick for each engine.

White levers - ONE shop in the UK has sufficient quantities, at £1 each. Ouch.

White Technic half-pins. There are 6 for sale in the UK, at quantities of one each.

White Robot arms - also very, very rare.

I ordered these fiddly parts from a shop in Poland, and I expect to wait weeks for them to arrive.

Alright! Somebody to compare building notes with! I've already received 5 of 10 orders but have one coming from Czech Republic and one from South Korea which will slow things up. 

For the record, it took my laptop i7 4510cpu, 8 GB RAM over an hour to create the building instructions.