EKae

[LDD] Mortesv's CR90 corvette (reverse-engineered version)

This thread is for discussing my version of Mortesv's CR90 corvette. It will help people building, buying, and modifying the ship. If you want to see Mortesv's original version, here's the thread:

LDD file is no longer available from me, you have to get instructions from Cjd223/Mortesv from this thread:

Edited by EKae

To those who are building the CR90, there are a few things you should know about it. As you may know, one of the reasons Mortesv couldn't produce the actual file is because of certain things the program wouldn't let him do. Although the file I've produced is mainly complete, there are a few things you should know before collecting parts and building the ship.

-On the light bluish gray rectangular greebling on the sides of the top and bottom rows of engines, take away the 2 x 2 plates underneath. Also, there are some loose ones not connected to the main ship - just attach them when necessary.

-Add 24299 and 24307, both in white, to the ship, as pictured below:

cr90_corvette_wedges.png

The two spots circled in red are where you should attach them. There is also a similar spot on the bottom of the ship where you also need to put them. So, add 2 of part 24299 and 2 of part 24307 to your parts list.

-One last thing: in the engine section, you don't have to use all of the 1 x 16 technic bricks, and pins. I just reinforced that area because I thought the engine section would be especially delicate, but It's probably fine without. But this is just optional, I still think I'll do it.

Any rare parts? I just checked on the radar dish (#2440) in white and it's fairly available although was last seen on the 10198 Rebel blockade runner. 

Edited by ecmo47

Part 2476 in dark bluish gray seems to be rare. . .

Everybody please add 2 of part 30374 in white and 6 of part 3062 in white!!! On one side of the engines, I didn't add the 2 tubes in between the top and bottom rows of engines.

Agreed! Many white parts can turn out to be in very poor condition when bought used.

True :classic:. And there is a significant price difference. . .

4 minutes ago, EKae said:

@Azrielsc Will you be building it?

Should be in the pipeline! But I am a slow builder so I don't see it happening for the next few months.

7 hours ago, EKae said:

Part 2476 in dark bluish gray seems to be rare. . .

Everybody please add 2 of part 30374 in white and 6 of part 3062 in white!!! On one side of the engines, I didn't add the 2 tubes in between the top and bottom rows of engines.

Do you know where the 6x2476 parts go? Do they have to be DBG?

This is looks pretty close to my ldd :)

Since this is out there, I might just as well share my own ldd. I was actually going to make instructions for it, but I don't know if there is interest now the ldd's are out there?

The reason I wasn't going to share the ldd because of the floating bricks, but I see you have many of the same floating bricks going on :)

A few notes after a quick glance:

The core of my version is a bit different

I am using different hinges for the sides - the old plate hinges are very expensive :)

I have also designed it in two sections, that you stick together.

I think the 2 x 2 round bricks in the engines cores are a bit redundant.

The detailing look very close to the original - good job :)

1 hour ago, mortesv said:

Since this is out there, I might just as well share my own ldd. I was actually going to make instructions for it, but I don't know if there is interest now the ldd's are out there?

The reason I wasn't going to share the ldd because of the floating bricks, but I see you have many of the same floating bricks going on :)

*snip*

Instructions would be so much better @mortesv! :laugh:

2 hours ago, mortesv said:

I don't think anybody could say no to instructions. Regardless of how that pans out, I would definitely love to build this thing myself, it looks truly incredible.

@mortesv Instructions would be fantastic! As you know, digital designer isn't the greatest for that. . . do you know how long it would take to produce the instructions?

@ecmo47 they connect the middle engines to the skeleton of the ship, with 2 on each engine. Here's a link to a store that has a lot (used):

https://store.bricklink.com/foobricks&itemID=116428989#/shop?o={"invID":"116428989"}

Edited by EKae

3 hours ago, EKae said:

@mortesv Instructions would be fantastic! As you know, digital designer isn't the greatest for that. . . do you know how long it would take to produce the instructions?

@ecmo47 they connect the middle engines to the skeleton of the ship, with 2 on each engine. Here's a link to a store that has a lot (used):

https://store.bricklink.com/foobricks&itemID=116428989#/shop?o={"invID":"116428989"}

I will return with and estimate to how long asap :)

(@ecmo47) - regarding those bricks. I put on the middle engines using technic bricks, but those could do the trick as well - they are used on the 10019 as far as I remember. But get them NEW since the pin part of them can be a bit soft on used bricks and make your engines sack.

Thanks! Also, can people just start collecting the parts with the list from my version? Then people can always just add or take away parts once you release the instructions. . .

I haven't run a conplete comparison of our files, but many of the outer bricks looks to be the same. The internals seem a bit different though. I will get back with an ETA on instructions ASAP :)

Edited by mortesv

9 hours ago, EKae said:

I finally dug down to where the six 2476's go. You can see the edge of them just behind that tube assemble that you forgot on the starboard (right) side. I'm going to use LBG ones. 

I'm not going to wait for instructions. I would not have wanted to build the Neb-B with LDD but I think that this model should be achievable. (Might be famous last words!)

@ecmo47 You can always start collecting/building now with my LDD, then modify or add parts to it when the instructions are available - I think I'll begin gathering parts using my LDD, then wait until the instructions are out.

I found a to-scale hammerhead corvette for sale!  The hammerhead is 110 meters long, and following Mortesv's scale, should be 55 studs (about 17 inches) long - and it is! I've already bought one to add to my fleet, and you can buy the instructions or the full model. Here's a link on Bricklink, where you can view it, and here's a link to buy it on Ebay:

BRICKLINK: https://moc.bricklink.com/pages/moc/index.page?n1searchtype=1&n1sorttype=4&searchword=QuiGon&keyword=QuiGon

EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlego+hammerhead+corvette.TRS0&_nkw=lego+hammerhead+corvette&_sacat=0

Thanks for the link on the hammerhead! I'm tempted to get the complete set for $165.00 as I always go overboard Bricklinking parts. I'm about 2/3 sourced for the CR-90 and have spent about $250.00.

I've got an updated Excel spreadsheet parts list that I'm using if anybody is interested. It's 7 pages in "Landscape" format. I've striped out all the pictures created by the LDD BOM and modified part numbers as needed (3069 = 3069b). I've also identified any part that can have two different numbers like the stud jumpers which can be either 3794 or 15573.

Shot me a PM with an email address and I'll send it to you.

33147726834_6d5b267287_c.jpgDSC01970 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Having looked more closely at @EKae's ldd file I have a few more notes:

- I am not sure of the skeleton design of the body - it seems a bit overly complex and not 100% sturdy when you would grab the model there, but I could be wrong?

- Having axles and 2x2 bricks inside the side tubes should not be needed

- The engines look a bit heavy with many 2x2 round brick inside - that could cause a bit of sacking especially with the middle ones that are only held up by 2476

- The sloping of some of the engines seem a bit off, but the area where the engines and body meet is also where this ldd differs from mine the most :)

- The cockpit seem a little off as well, I think the "sides" are too high

- A few details are missing here and there

These are just notes, not a critique, I am still impressed with what have been made here just by looking at the pictures :)

I think you all know the instructions maker working on this :) I'll let him give you an ETA on the instructions.

Some of you may be thinking why I don't just share my ldd file already. The reason is instructions are being made and having the original ldd file might put people off getting the instructions which in turn would make spending a 100+ hours making instructions less worth it.