Hi all, i've finally started my tc11 entry, i was playing around some building techniques i've improved on all my project and i initially wanted to build a robot with a razer like drive (omniwheel at the back and normal wheels at the front) but i found that drive inefficient and with a lot of friction, so i decided to built the "most compact 4x4 rubber-band powered flipper + lifter combo " and i'm not sure how it will end, but i came up with a concept chassis (it has working drive and lifting wedglets and it comes from the first idea of my entry (a sliding disk bot, but there are too many spinners here)), the problem is that i need to fit there the reloading motor (XL) the battery box and the two receivers/sbrick and i'm not sure i can (mainly because i've built a lot of compact robots and there were a lot more space than in this one) so i may came back to design a more efficent 4wd omni+standard drive and have a bigger footprint but i'm not sure, meanwhile (i'm currently building the mechanisms) enjoy the concept:

drive: 2 XL motors, 4WD with friction gears
main weapon: rubber-band powered flipper v2 (hoping for 2hg flipping, before it was ~1) reloaded by and xl motor
secobndary weapon: lifting wedglets powered by and M motor

(no electronics here)
current size: 26x27 stud, with retracted weapon(battle position)
tc11_0.jpg

17 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Wow, It's tiny! Good work so far!

thanks, i've made some progress!

here a video of the main weapon mechanism in action, it uses the same mechanism of flippy but a really stronger version and with better performances (instant relase instead of some cm of travel) and it is now at half the target power but i don't now if the mechanism can handle the power i want:

also i have some more photos of the internal electronics that i've added back, one wheel was dismounted during weapon mechanism implementation:

tc11_1.jpg 

tc11_2.jpg

Yess, a compact one, I appretiate that you keep your style with moderate size. Looks promising, the release mechanism is simple yet effective, I am very interested in the final result.

Edited by agrof

20 hours ago, agrof said:

Yess, a compact one, I appretiate that you keep your style with moderate size. Looks promising, the release mechanism is simple yet effective, I am very interested in the final result.

thanks! and i'm quite near the final result!

here a new video with 3 rubber bands instead of 2, unfortunately reload is really slow (maybe dead batterie maybe not, but currently i came back to two  rubbebands:

if someone complain about me using a dummy bot, that is a official set called "manas" and so it is nothing built and designed by me but by LEGO

So in order to hold the power of the 3rd rubberband i changed and reinforced the mechanism really a lot:

tc11_6.jpg

this initially limited the wedglets travel so i changed them (old one on the right, newer on the left) and i also gained an higher end point while lifting:
(you can see the grey pieces near the L liftarm that blocks the travel on the old version)

tc11_4.jpg

tc11_3.jpg

Then i finally put back the driving gears and unleash the real power of the 4x4 chassis:

tc11_5.jpg

next step will be change the arm point (because it is the same of the old scorpion version) and then find a way to place receivers and battery boxes so they don't prevent the bot to self right..... yes it does!

The bot is finished! enjoy last details and a small test with 2/3 power:

this test show the actual reloading time and power:

i added some srimech-helping devices that makes the robot back more round and helps it to flip back to its wheels and the battery box holder is now complete.

tc11_7.jpg

tc11_91.jpg

as promised i modified the arm point so it is a completely new one (also more effective)

tc11_8.jpg

and then i can say that even if ir receiver are exposed they are connected to the chassis in a really though way

tc11_9.jpg

any thought or critics? what about the color scheme? do you want to see it self right? well just leave a comment so!

This is looking really nice! Compact yet powerful, maybe not enough armor but it's fast so it could outmaneuver the opponent. And of course we want to see it self right :grin:

You surpassed my expectations. I really like this one, we haven't seen many flippers yet, and I like how compact it is :)

And indeed, what does it do when it's upside down? :)

18 hours ago, Rennuh said:

This is looking really nice! Compact yet powerful, maybe not enough armor but it's fast so it could outmaneuver the opponent. And of course we want to see it self right :grin:

thanks, yes you are right to say that there is not "exterior" armour, but this bot is so compact and has got so many internal linkages and reinforcements (most of them to hold the rubberband power) that can fall from almost 1 meter without any damage, i challenge other builder to do that!

17 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

You surpassed my expectations. I really like this one, we haven't seen many flippers yet, and I like how compact it is :)

And indeed, what does it do when it's upside down? :)

i'm also curious to see if there will be at least another flipper in there, but i'm currently the only one :devil: can't say i'm the only one with spring/rubberband powered mechanisms

but talking about serious things (aka srimech , Self RIghting MECHanism) i've made a small video about it, th bot can both self right if the weapon is already reloaded or reload while upside down (this mean that the motor is both reloading that lifting the bot itself!).

i'm currently working on the lxf file, hoe to share it ASAP

Nice design, very compact.

The connections all look sturdy and reinforced (except for the IR receivers. maybe jou could reinforce those using the front holes?)

The charging wire is very exposed, is there any way you could make that less vulnerable?

I DO love this, very strong, very compact, and very clever. Thanks for sharing the LXF file in advance, I wanted to obligate You to do it. :laugh:

33 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

Nice design, very compact.

The connections all look sturdy and reinforced (except for the IR receivers. maybe jou could reinforce those using the front holes?)

The charging wire is very exposed, is there any way you could make that less vulnerable?

thanks! 

as for the receivers, unfortunately they hare half system brick shaped so the front holes are just in the wrong place to be connected to other parts, but the whole robot ( 1kg) can be easily lifted holding it form one receiver (as shown in a picture) and nothing disconnects, this due to a 4 stud lever that hold the receiver from the less exposed side:

tc11_92.jpg

and yes the string is exposed during reload (that currently takes 3-4 seconds) but the lifting wedglets can be used to defend it, also the rope is really strong and it is a way longer than needed, and this it because it works as entanglement weapon against spinners and various mechanisms

tc11_93.jpg

1 minute ago, agrof said:

I DO love this, very strong, very compact, and very clever. Thanks for sharing the LXF file in advance, I wanted to obligate You to do it. :laugh:

tc11_entry.lxf here the lxf, so you can search for all weak points! just an advice, in order to build a really strong frame i used some "piece forcing" connection, so actually have no idea hoe to build this fro m scratch, what i suggest is to start from the weapon and leave the wheel holder as the last thing to build, because they are strong but by removing some pieces and bending others... well they are the easiest part to manually disassemble, i can only say that i first build the drive and then start attaching and reinforcing the weapon and i had to force/bend linages and pieces some times, especially when i forget to place something 

I just love your flipper winch and release system, simple, powerfull and effective, the way it should be!

Nice compact design and one of the more powerfull flipper systems, really well done!

Seeing all these lovely designs really makes me want to have real battles with the bots, i really wonder how this one will battle my entry!

20 hours ago, Marxpek said:

I just love your flipper winch and release system, simple, powerfull and effective, the way it should be!

Nice compact design and one of the more powerfull flipper systems, really well done!

Seeing all these lovely designs really makes me want to have real battles with the bots, i really wonder how this one will battle my entry!

Thanks! For what I can say about an ideal fight, your not has a really high ground clearance and small footprint, so it can be easily flipped by mine (yes it is invertible but don't forget that robots cam be thrown out of the arena of in the pit and this is what my robot does mainly), but you have so many hammers that even without aiming (the most difficult thing for twachbot) you could hit a receiver and maybe disconnect some motor wire from it (they are thoughly hold but who knows) also robot contact is mainly ruled by luck so I give myself a 70% chance of winning ;) I also like a lot your build and how chaotic it is, it the random prize should be given to the most unique entry I would pick up you!

Edited by PKW

maybe.. if you are able to get near ;) i guess im 3x faster

20 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

maybe.. if you are able to get near ;) i guess im 3x faster

You'll get near no me, I have only to wait xD also yes will be for sure a nice battle, I will build your bot and make it next weekend hopefully (not in the sumo arena) do you have some digital file and or the strict program? Also are you using a game pad or the app itself? 

PS: i'm currently building a robot wars like arena (inspired by the old series so with a small external wall and a covered pit that can be "activated" but if we have to fight in a flat surface o think you will win 100% because of my bot consuming battery faster ahahahah I don't think we can damage too much each other

Oh and I really want to knowhow a goodget between your bot and Mr cuddles will end:laugh:

Edited by PKW

i don't consider waiting a battle tactic ;D and i love to see you try to flip me with the hammer slammer sequence activated.

I am not really know with digital bulding programs yet, ill try LDD maybe tonight, easy project to start with.

Im using the app with 5 sequences and a joystick at 50% power, i ordered a gamepad for it, but its delayed in the mail sadly.

Mr. cuddle is nice, but i consder it cute like its name, the claws don't close far enough i think and its slow, would be a fun battle, for me!

1 hour ago, Marxpek said:

i don't consider waiting a battle tactic ;D and i love to see you try to flip me with the hammer slammer sequence activated.

I am not really know with digital bulding programs yet, ill try LDD maybe tonight, easy project to start with.

Im using the app with 5 sequences and a joystick at 50% power, i ordered a gamepad for it, but its delayed in the mail sadly.

Mr. cuddle is nice, but i consder it cute like its name, the claws don't close far enough i think and its slow, would be a fun battle, for me!

i would fear its grabbing axe more than what you do

also don't forget what happens if my bot faces light opponents:

I must say im impressed by its power. However this is just a battery box. I wonder if you could toss me over a wall. I doubt it!

55 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

I must say im impressed by its power. However this is just a battery box. I wonder if you could toss me over a wall. I doubt it!

it can't throw your bot over the box, but arena wall is just 4cm high so that wouldn't be a problem

Yet you didn't dare to post a video of yours launching mine, making me curious, but please don't reveal it until the contest is ready, it might loose you votes ;D (sorry can't help it i love healthy competition;D, not that we are in the same classe..)

But with a 4 cm wall? was that a given fact to take into account? i imagined a wall like i recall seeing on battle bots (might be mistaking), roughly or slightly taller than most bots. i would loose any fight i guess, this thing doesn't stop for anything, if you run it straight into the wall it "climbs" the wall and flips itself, and it will hardly notice riding over a 4 cm wall, that being less than half the size of the tires, i really hope that 4 cm wall is not a thing ;D

Nice to see my robot on yours in that picture, gives a better idea of its size, do you own the wheels and a s-brick to test it? i couldn't find any other option to make this system work, the connector and switch have 2, maybe 3 mm of clearance while rotating only option are the tractor wheels i think.

Edited by Marxpek

1 hour ago, Marxpek said:

Yet you didn't dare to post a video of yours launching mine, making me curious, but please don't reveal it until the contest is ready, it might loose you votes ;D (sorry can't help it i love healthy competition;D, not that we are in the same classe..)

But with a 4 cm wall? was that a given fact to take into account? i imagined a wall like i recall seeing on battle bots (might be mistaking), roughly or slightly taller than most bots. i would loose any fight i guess, this thing doesn't stop for anything, if you run it straight into the wall it "climbs" the wall and flips itself, and it will hardly notice riding over a 4 cm wall, that being less than half the size of the tires, i really hope that 4 cm wall is not a thing ;D

Nice to see my robot on yours in that picture, gives a better idea of its size, do you own the wheels and a s-brick to test it? i couldn't find any other option to make this system work, the connector and switch have 2, maybe 3 mm of clearance while rotating only option are the tractor wheels i think.

Well I was inspired by the old robot wars series, counting that usually my bots are not more tall than 9-10cm and that  there is a pit for ramming/pushing bot I decided to use that measurement, also there are different arenas (even without pit or totally enclosed arena) so I was talking about mine 

I don't have xlereion wheels (but I have sbrick) and they are the only ones that fit good, I also don't have enough parts for the second hammer :(

But yes I don't want to post anything that regards any battle between entries, because this contest rules say "they are not meant to really fight" so it would be like chaeting, no matter the outcome xD

i was wondering something about your design: can you arm the flipper if the machine is up side down?

picture this: you just used the flipper and then you get flipped, can you arm the flipper to upright yourself like in the video or does it have to be armed before you get flipped? the arming system seems gravity based? 

No offense, but the questions are rather strange :classic:, as the answer is above in the self-rightning video. Yes, it can, the flipper is armed by string, which working is also explained in details.

@ agrof Ah yes i'm sorry, i did not see that video yet, thanks for pointing it out!

For the workings i just checked the LDD image, more of a visual working guy then reading about it, but never checked that video.. my mistake!