AlmightyArjen

Metroliner high up in the mountains

I thought it was time to do something else. I've combined my two passions: Lego trains and mountaineering. The result: awesome footage of the classic Metroliner in an alpine environment :D Images say more than words, enjoy ;)

Stunning footage! Great video and such a unique idea. Thank you for sharing!

Was there any problem with the train in the colder temperatures?

Edited by Beck

That is such a unique video!!!

And I was wondering the same thing as Beck - did the cold temperature affect the train in any way?

You never cease to amaze and surprise me with your video projects. Yet another stunning project. Simply incredible. Just one question, how did you get 9v so far up the mountain (grin, I know, PF retrofit)

Thanks for the nice reactions! I intentionally used alkaline batteries since those do a bit bitter with low temperatures. After an hour the train began having trouble going up hill which was a bit fast so temperature was definitely an issue. I brought a spare battery box with me so the problem was solved quite easily. The train stops automatically at the stations. I've designed it like this so I had my hands free for shooting the drone footage. Under the train is a reed switch and close to the stations are magnets between the rails. The train is controlled by an Arduino, using the reed switch as an input to know when to stop the train and to go into the other direction. Normally I work with IR sensors but I was afraid that those sensors would be "blinded" by the huge amount of light present at that altitude (clear sky, white snow...)

Hehe, what a great idea. I've been to the Brenta myself, you have selected a wonderful scenery! Nice job on the Drone flight too.

And here I was thinking I'd see a MOC of a mohntain scene with the metroliner running trough it. Boy was I wrong. Cool vid.

Great video. I like the whole getting out and having fun while enjoying LEGO. Also, one would think it's a little cold to go without pants up there. :)

I am going to have to admit before I hit the play button your video I was thinking to myself, nice photoshop work this guy pulled off here!  But hey you proved my skeptical brain way wrong!  That is probably one of the coolest things I have seen in quite some time!!  Well done, well done indeed!! 

Wow, what a gorgeous footage ...those scenes are a masterpiece and gave me goose-bumps!!! :wub::wub::wub:

The fantastic soundtrack is the icing on the cake: better than a professional movie! :wub:

I want to see this video again and again! :blush:

This is pretty cool, even better watching it for the second time.
Out of interest, how did you manage the shots of you walking up the mountain at the beginning? Did you have someone else on cameraman duties?

9 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

This is pretty cool, even better watching it for the second time.
Out of interest, how did you manage the shots of you walking up the mountain at the beginning? Did you have someone else on cameraman duties?

I used a DJI Mavic Pro drone. It has a object tracking function. So I got the drone in the air and let it track me, very handy functionality :)

Beautiful video and great footage. Now I want to see more of you mountaineering. Is that where you live, surrounded by that landscape? :wub:

Great video and scenery.  Could the drone shoot LEGO flick-fire missles for fun?  I use a 12V sealed lead acid battery power pack to run 9V trains at our LUG outdoor picnic events.  It has plenty of power to run for a few hours.