Jim

Scale Modeling General Discussion

Okay guys, as of today we have our very own Scale Modelers forum. 

GUIDELINES

The basic site guidelines apply to this forum with an addition that posting MOCs in this forum requires them to be scale models, not just good looking Creator models. We have the Special Themes forum for non scale models. Please be aware that pure Technic models reside in the Technic forum, not the Scale Modeler's forum.

• Representing a real world counterpart
  • Vehicles must be built in minimum scale of around 1:20.
  • Ships, planes, and buildings does not have minimum scale requirement,
  • Built as advanced Model Team, mainly with bricks, plates and tiles,with high level of details and prime execution.
  • Not purely Technic

If you have any questions, you can post them in this topic.

Ok Jim. Then here is my first question: While building a suspenssion system or the floor pan of a car, how do you guys keep your builds inside the measurements? I know sariels scaler to get measurents but how do you keep your structures inside those measurements. Do you bild something like a jigg/frame as a tool or how do you approch it?

That is an interesting question. Since I am not a Scale Builder, I can't answer your question properly. So let's wait for someone with experience in building a suspension in scale.

Maybe I will split these kind of questions into different help/guide topics.

@AkiyamaWataru  To build in scale, not sure if i be a scale modeler in term of this subforum, comes first the body and then the internals. Later both has to be combined.

@Jim where is the border between good looking models and  scale  modelling? For example my suction excavator. It is more or less proper in proportions, look and functions, but it is not fully suspended and it cant suck. Would this count as scale or is it not scale enough?

I am going to lurk the hell out of this subforum :).

@efferman; I think your suction excavator is a really acurate representation of the real world thing. We must not forget that Lego has major limitations that make 100% perfect scale modeling virtually impossible.

1 hour ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

While building a suspenssion system or the floor pan of a car, how do you guys keep your builds inside the measurements? I know sariels scaler to get measurents but how do you keep your structures inside those measurements. Do you bild something like a jigg/frame as a tool or how do you approch it?

I will provide my usual thinking when starting a new (scale) model. I have six of them in progress and they all follow these steps,

It all depends on scale, and how much realism and details you want to include, and lastly, do you want your model to be powered or manual. For sure, choosing between brick built or studless built will play a big role.

For scale modeling, most popular scales are 1:13, 1:17.5

First, there is a phase of collecting info on real life model, like blueprints, pictures and even digital 3d model.

After that you have enough data of chassis, axles, engine, gearbox, bodywork, interior etc to start building actual Lego model. You print diagrams in scale, and you have 1:1 paper examples. That is all you need. The rest is try and error phase of building.

A scale model is a MOC built in a certain scale. Of course, it can never be 100% in scale, but the builder should be able to show which efforts have been made to build it in a certain scale.

I am afraid that there are no hard rules and it's not black and white, so we will need to come up with guidelines for this forum.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

@Jim where is the border between good looking models and  scale  modelling? For example my suction excavator. It is more or less proper in proportions, look and functions, but it is not fully suspended and it cant suck. Would this count as scale or is it not scale enough?

Can you post a link to your MOC?

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

Can you post a link to your MOC?

sure

32579165523_e34dc7eb87_c.jpg

So actually there is only a need to be in the scale dimensions which the builder has choosed and it needs to have a real thing as idol?

11 minutes ago, efferman said:

So actually there is only a need to be in the scale dimensions which the builder has choosed and it needs to have a real thing as idol?

These are indeed two important criteria, if not the most important ones :thumbup:

What kind of scale models are accepted in the subform?  Is it vehicles centric?  Do scale models such as of real buildings or 1:1 scale of everyday objects fit the criteria?  How important is function?  Does it need to be modeled too?

There are no limits regarding the type of MOC or functionality.

What do mean by "does it need to be modeled"?

Funny you should start this, I recently started on a Dodge Challenger Hellcat model.

2 questions: can models be a combination of Technic and System bricks? Can models be made in LDD?

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

On 4/9/2017 at 4:46 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

2 questions: can models be a combination of Technic and System bricks?

Yes, but for this forum, emphasis should be Look and Scale building.

On 4/9/2017 at 4:46 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Can models be made in LDD?

Physical builds are more encouraged, but ultimately, If a model fit the criteria, yes.

32 minutes ago, Bricker Bricker 72 said:

I think when you are looking at the Scale Modelers Association group on Flickr, you will get an idea what we are looking for on this forum.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/scalemodelersassociation/pool/

So you go more for looks then function. In my mind a good scale model does bot stop at the outer shell or the interrieur. I also take a look at the technical side. I started a project and first googled for a service Manuel to understand the drivetrain or how the front suspension is constructed.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Okay guys, as of today we have our very own Scale Modelers forum. Of course, all the great scale builders will need some time to post their MOCs over here, so please be patient.

If you have any questions, you can post them in this topic.

You are not going to move some topics here? Like Ingmar's trucks?

1 hour ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

So you go more for looks then function. In my mind a good scale model does bot stop at the outer shell or the interrieur. I also take a look at the technical side. I started a project and first googled for a service Manuel to understand the drivetrain or how the front suspension is constructed.

No, when I speak for my self. The trucks I build can drive, steer attach and detach trailers  fully RC  and have interieur and a fake engine under the hood etc so I am not going for the looks I am  go for both.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

@Bricker Bricker 72 if this would be the guideline, this subforum would get very rarely new entrys. 

it is not up to me to make the guidelines, I think these ones will develop in time and we will see what they will be.

Edited by Bricker Bricker 72

I guess pure technic creations have their own forum. This is the place for mocs that are built to look as much as the real thing possible with Lego, with functionality as a bonus. The models are based on existing subjects and build true to scale as far as you can with Lego. I always see it as the evolution of the old Model Team into genuine authentic detailed creations. 

3 hours ago, M_longer said:

You are not going to move some topics here? Like Ingmar's trucks?

There is quite some stuff around on the Technic/Model Team subforums including mine. But I'm not sure what will happen with these e.g. moved to this part.

I must admit; now we have this sub area it'll motivate me much more to post some stuff since I was just active once in a while on EB.

Just now, Bricksonwheels said:

I guess pure technic creations have their own forum. This is the place for mocs that are built to look as much as the real thing possible with Lego, with functionality as a bonus. The models are based on existing subjects and build true to scale as far as you can with Lego. I always see it as the evolution of the old Model Team into genuine authentic detailed creations. 

And that means not just 'simple upgraded' VW Beetles and Minis. We're trying to collect really own made stuff based on the real thing. It can either be a truck, car, vessel, aircraft or whatever it might be. True Technic builds and fantasy stuff doesn't belong here.

1 minute ago, Dennis Bosman said:

I must admit; now we have this sub area it'll motivate me much more to post some stuff since I was just active once in a while on EB.

Well that is good to hear,it is important to try and attract/keep the very best builders within the Eurobricks community.

1 minute ago, Alasdair Ryan said:

Well that is good to hear,it is important to try and attract/keep the very best builders within the Eurobricks community.

I really didn't post a lot on forums anyhow the last couple of years while I was too busy with other things. And actually the 'Model Team' posts on EB were a little bit faded away in the Technic forum. This is a far better solution. I'm having some new stuff/updates on it's way. Will drop them here for sure :-)

So basically anything that is a scale replica should be showcased here correct? I think this will be a good place for builders, as it offers lots of insight, and inspiration from more experienced builders that focus on scale replica models.

Also another question, I know Milan answered above that digital models were frowned upon, though I am wondering if it would be ok to add a series of rendered M4 Sherman models based off of the internals of my M4A3E8 Fury? As if this will be a focus on scale models, I know the internal function will be robust, though it is essentially exterior changes, to allow one to build any common variant of the M4 Sherman produced during and post WWII. I am thinking about presenting them in a similar rendered animation fashion to my Renault FT-17.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

3 hours ago, Legorigs said:

I say a hip hip hooray for this section of EB.

Total agree with that and wanted thanks Jim and Milan to makes it happen.