Spud The Viking

[GBW-CP1] - New Brickika - Mobile SAM Tryout

The newly finished mobile SAM had not been field tested, so I had the privilege of guarding the vehicle while the crew scanned for possible targets.

33778498711_fcbd412d09_z.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

All of a sudden I heard the operator shouting. Something had appeared on the scanners. We waited.

33867152006_8db7358762_c.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

"Base told us it isn't replying and it has entered our airspace!"

The UFO was coming from Tosul, the crew acted fast.

33778492121_17eddebd16_c.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

"Ready and fire!"

33778491161_8855988a07_z.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

33523106090_9f8c265015_c.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

My squad-mate began laughing, "It was a bird! We've shot down a bird!"

Turns out that bogey was one of the most endangered species on the planet, only found in Tosul. 

"Ah, we'll blame it on lightning or something" said the crew as he looked through binoculars at the bird that was now a burnt crisp.

[Extra pics]

33908027845_3ff864627b_c.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

33095138093_cef8a4835e_c.jpgGreat Brick War - Mobile SAM by Tom Gray, on Flickr

Edited by Spud The Viking

:laugh: That's a very nice story you've written, and it goes along great with the build. You did a nice job with the landscape, and I think the vehicle looks pretty good. I'm especially fond of the details on the truck, such as the antennas, use of plates with bars on the side, and the driver/gunner positions. And you did an excellent job posing the minifigs, which is always a nice bonus.

I'm not sure if you're basing this on a real vehicle, but in general, I think SAM missiles are significantly longer. For a SAM missile battery, I'd suggest you make the launch tubes much longer. If you want to keep the missile launcher relatively the same, rocket artillery or perhaps a TOW missile launcher would be more in line with the overall size of the tubes. You also might want to consider a collapsible windshield (like a WWII jeep). Given the open cabin, I think that would be a neat feature to consider.  

Hi! 

I agree with Captain Genaro. The vehicle is well detailed but I would overscale it. Make it longer and wider and the result with improve.

A classical vehicle-mounted SAM (or even an anti tank missile) is about the height of a minifig or slightly longer (not speaking about manpads such as the Mistral, the SA7 or the Stinger, which I think they are smaller), so you have tips for future builds. Other longer range SAMs can be much longer.

Your well detailed vehicle reminds me to a vehicle-mounted heavy mortar battery.

The missile trail is excellent!

Best regards and congratulations.

Edited by sigpro

3 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

:laugh: That's a very nice story you've written, and it goes along great with the build. You did a nice job with the landscape, and I think the vehicle looks pretty good. I'm especially fond of the details on the truck, such as the antennas, use of plates with bars on the side, and the driver/gunner positions. And you did an excellent job posing the minifigs, which is always a nice bonus.

I'm not sure if you're basing this on a real vehicle, but in general, I think SAM missiles are significantly longer. For a SAM missile battery, I'd suggest you make the launch tubes much longer. If you want to keep the missile launcher relatively the same, rocket artillery or perhaps a TOW missile launcher would be more in line with the overall size of the tubes. You also might want to consider a collapsible windshield (like a WWII jeep). Given the open cabin, I think that would be a neat feature to consider.  

1 hour ago, sigpro said:

Hi! 

I agree with Captain Genaro. The vehicle is well detailed but I would overscale it. Make it longer and wider and the result with improve.

A classical vehicle-mounted SAM (or even an anti tank missile) is about the height of a minifig or slightly longer (not speaking about manpads such as the Mistral, the SA7 or the Stinger, which I think they are smaller), so you have tips for future builds. Other longer range SAMs can be much longer.

Your well detailed vehicle reminds me to a vehicle-mounted heavy mortar battery.

The missile trail is excellent!

Best regards and congratulations.

Thanks to both of you! I'll keep this in mind as it was mostly guess work from videogames that aren't always accurate when portraying real life vehicles.

Glad you like the rest of it though :sweet:

10 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

I'll keep this in mind as it was mostly guess work from videogames that aren't always accurate when portraying real life vehicles.

Use the web. Google it. Everything military is on Google with tons of reference pictures.

3 hours ago, Thebeeze111 said:

Use the web. Google it. Everything military is on Google with tons of reference pictures.

Not to say I haven't used the Web for guidance but I was meaning that I wanted my build to look like that of what was in a videogame, the other part of the build was modelled on real life equipment. Sorry for any confusion. 

A very nice vehicle here ! 

I would agree with what has been said early and find that the missile is closer to an Antitank one like the Germano-French MILAN (talking about the missile aspect, not the launcher) than a SAM. The vehicle is well shaped, perhaps adding length to it would add but that's a good one.

Too bad you only shot a rare Tosulese bird... Well, we will see if I can find a better Tosulese target soon...

Overall a good job !

38 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

A very nice vehicle here ! 

I would agree with what has been said early and find that the missile is closer to an Antitank one like the Germano-French MILAN (talking about the missile aspect, not the launcher) than a SAM. The vehicle is well shaped, perhaps adding length to it would add but that's a good one.

Too bad you only shot a rare Tosulese bird... Well, we will see if I can find a better Tosulese target soon...

Overall a good job !

Thanks! Yeah, in hindsight I would have made the missiles a bit longer and more pointy, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Supporting each other is exactly what the military does. Infantry is there to back up the air defense team.

Hope this thing moves a lot because I'm gonna be searching for it in a few levels!

You've Been Awarded ( 7  ) Point(s):

Judges Comments (not all judges comment):

This was the right blend of detail for the size of the build. Admittedly, I would have liked to seen something a little bigger but that didn't hurt your score. The truck is well articulated and detailed. Next time, try to build something a little more grounded in a realistic vehicle as opposed to a video game. The detailing on the missile launch was top notch and a technique I fully intend to steal for future use. Thank you. Great job!     

You aren't just prepping to fight, looks like you may actually be fighting already?  I can see geography and equipment, but you left out a map grid square.  Be sure to watch out for those requirments on your builds for next time.  I would have made the base a lil bigger as you want the base to compliment the build, not make it feel crammed.  A very detailed build with terrain changes, flora, and people along with items.  I think your SAM launcher has real potential, but be sure to look up what SAMs look like.  Very elongated missles.  The entire vehicle itself though looks to be a unique build so great job on creating that!

You can Update your AAR Post with your points to keep track.

Thanks for Playing!