DugaldIC

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (instructions and parts list now available, thank you Thorsten50)

Now i consider building it :) but only the chassi [i dont own the porsche :( ] I like how you covered the front grill.

Looks really awesome! Don't have time to build it in the near future, but would definitely build it when I have a chance. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the interest, I had a good chat with my brother @Lox Lego and with a bit of bribing :tongue: he's decided to help and we will be a photo teardown in the near future  :classic::thumbup:

5 hours ago, IA creations said:

Now i consider building it :) but only the chassi [i dont own the porsche :( ] I like how you covered the front grill.

Thanks! I had a hard time doing a grill so I went with a smooth cover instead (there's still a special final touch for it as well)! 

1 hour ago, miobricks said:

Looks really awesome! Don't have time to build it in the near future, but would definitely build it when I have a chance. :laugh:

Well you can build it whenever you like :wink: just pre warning you'll need a lot of orange and 5 wheel arches! 

2017-05-07_09-18-53

And thanks to my good friend Scott who's great with graphics helped me out with a few finishing touches to top it all off! 

Edited by DugaldIC

13 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Thanks everyone for the interest, I had a good chat with my brother @Lox Lego and with a bit of bribing :tongue: he's decided to help and we will be a photo teardown in the near future  :classic::thumbup:

You did an amazing job and it is excellent news that you guys will do a tear down with photos at some point!  I can't wait to see it up close!

10 hours ago, technic_addict said:

You did an amazing job and it is excellent news that you guys will do a tear down with photos at some point!  I can't wait to see it up close!

Thanks! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint in person :wink:

2017-05-08_09-53-01

So I've been going through mirror designs and unfortunately I still feel like the "Porsche" mirror is still the best fitting :sceptic: any thoughts? 

10 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Thanks! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint in person :wink:. So

snip

I've been going through mirror designs and unfortunately I still feel like the "Porsche" mirror is still the best fitting :sceptic: any thoughts? 

I think the Porsche mirror suits it best.

14 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Thanks! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint in person :wink:

So I've been going through mirror designs and unfortunately I still feel like the "Porsche" mirror is still the best fitting :sceptic: any thoughts? 

To be honest, I don't think the Porsche mirrors match the high level of the rest of the body. The panels are way oversized and their outer ends are sharp like wing tips whereas the side mirrors of the original are egg-shaped. I would try something smaller and a clear arm bringing the mirror outside of the car. I would also bring the rotation point outside the car; to the point where the mirror is attached to the mirror arm. Just my opinion.

Edited by Didumos69

@Nebulaire thanks! 

2 hours ago, technic_addict said:

compared to the real car, the Porsche style looks most accurate to me.

here is a new part which may be a good alternative as well.

Ahh that's a cool new piece, does it come in orange? I need more options than what I have, I'll probably have to bricklink some more pieces to get them right! 

23 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

To be honest, I don't think the Porsche mirrors match the high level of the rest of the body.

I completely get what you're getting at, I'm just having trouble getting a strong mirror (as they can be used to open/close the doors) that looks right with the pieces that I have so I'll have to get creative. But you're right they don't match the car and hence my dilemma! 

@Meatman thanks? Haha there are some very interesting connections and only two sections that are held in one place (all others are locked in by two or more places) it's surprisingly quite solid. Even though it looks like some pieces are just hovering in place! I hope that makes sense. 

Edited by DugaldIC

1 minute ago, DugaldIC said:

Ahh that's a cool new piece, does it come in orange? I need more options than what I have, I'll probably have to bricklink some more pieces to get them right! 

Nope, but I thought black mirrors may look good as well.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

Having taking a look for pictures, I found Aston Martin Vantage GT3 picturs from AM with BLACK(!) mirrors.

gt3-banner.jpg

But they can also be colored and i believe it would be a nice contrast for the orange if you use the black ones

1 hour ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Having taking a look for pictures, I found Aston Martin Vantage GT3 picturs from AM with BLACK(!) mirrors.

But they can also be colored and i believe it would be a nice contrast for the orange if you use the black ones

I agree that making the mirrors in black might be a good idea because you can make more realistic side view mirrors with black pieces since there are more of them than orange pieces. Also, am I the only one that thinks Aston really should have added rear bumper aero as great as the one in DugaldIC's build? Because I always loved those race car bottom aero knifelike... whatever you call them.

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted images from previous post.

Just now, StudRobotics said:

I agree that making the mirrors in black might be a good idea because you can make more realistic side view mirrors with black pieces since there are more of them than orange pieces. Also, am I the only one that thinks Aston really should have added rear bumper aero as great as the one in DugaldIC's build? Because I always loved those race car bottom aero knifelike... whatever you call them.

I think they would have added a long diffuser, if the extra weight would show benefit. But we're getting off track here. For the car I wouldn't go only for more realistic mirrors. It's playing with the colors. Use the black spot of the mirrors to lighten up the orange and loosen it's grunt. You could make it more beautiful this way.

8 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

I think they would have added a long diffuser, if the extra weight would show benefit. But we're getting off track here. For the car I wouldn't go only for more realistic mirrors. It's playing with the colors. Use the black spot of the mirrors to lighten up the orange and loosen it's grunt. You could make it more beautiful this way.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, Milan said:

@StudRobotics

Hi, please don't quote pictures from previous post. I have already asked the same thing on page before. Thanks.

Your welcome. Is there a copyright problem with quoting pictures or a different issue?

Update: Found out that it clogs the page, as said on Milan's previous post.

Edited by StudRobotics

8 minutes ago, StudRobotics said:

Update: Found out that it clogs the page, as said on Milan's previous post.

yeah, i learned that through reading. many people make that mistake, i see that alot. 

12 minutes ago, StudRobotics said:

Is there a copyright problem with quoting pictures or a different issue?

There is no copyright problem.

There is a matter of following guidelines, for which we have all agreed, when registering on the site.

It is no big deal, but it keeps the page clean and easy to read.

6 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Having taking a look for pictures, I found Aston Martin Vantage GT3 picturs from AM with BLACK(!) mirrors. But they can also be colored and i believe it would be a nice contrast for the orange if you use the black ones

7 hours ago, technic_addict said:

I have been thinking of doing black mirrors however my Lego selection in black is more slim than in orange, especially panel and regular lego wise. I'll have to get creative. 

5 hours ago, StudRobotics said:

Also, am I the only one that thinks Aston really should have added rear bumper aero as great as the one in DugaldIC's build? Because I always loved those race car bottom aero knifelike... whatever you call them.

Thanks! I'm glad you like that area, I had an idea and ran with it. There's so many different styles of rear diffusers (I think that's what you're getting at) on those cars, I thought I'd have some fun making my own :wink:. I'm glad it's fitting for the build! 

5 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

For the car I wouldn't go only for more realistic mirrors. It's playing with the colors. Use the black spot of the mirrors to lighten up the orange and loosen it's grunt. You could make it more beautiful this way.

Good thinking, I've been having similar thoughts just need to come up with something. Scrounge bricklink for some more mirror possibilities!

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow the nose of  this beauty is a real masterpiece ...great car and great MOC! :wub:

Thanks 12 Volts! The nose was difficult but I think it turned out alright and matches the car well enough :thumbup:

3 hours ago, IA creations said:

I think we should go yolo and have purple mirorrs :tongue:

Haha yeaa, I think I'll pass, however if you ever build it you can yolo it up all you want!  :tongue: who knows maybe a purple orange mash up would look alright? 

Edited by DugaldIC

14 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

(as they can be used to open/close the doors)

Ah, I forgot about that. I've been puzzling a little around in LDD, but it's indeed hard to make something strong and smooth looking.

11 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

It's playing with the colors. Use the black spot of the mirrors to lighten up the orange and loosen it's grunt. You could make it more beautiful this way.

I found this image of a Vantage GT3 with an orange/black mirror...

dlf_4766.jpg

...and thought maybe it helps if you would fill the bottom side of the Porsche mirrors with black parts. It would make them less "knify", I think. Something like this:

800x450.jpg?a=1

Edited by Didumos69