DugaldIC

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (instructions and parts list now available, thank you Thorsten50)

@Thorsten50 looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final product! :wink:

@Polo-Freak yours is looking great aswell. Almost like Dakar rally version:thumbup: due to the 42000 tires and no wheel arches yet. Have you figured the your parts list? I'm curious the piece count. 

3 hours ago, LvdH said:

Very nice @Polo-Freak! Mind sharing the file? :grin: 

I second this. I'd love to see the ldd on my computer! 

I'm finished the main body and everything works great....electrical and pneumatics perfect!! Just waiting for some orange parts from BL. Boy does this baby weigh a lot.Good thing it has the large motors. When I'm done I will post on Bricksafe.

http://bricksafe.com/pages/AFOLegofan66/latest-mocs-for-june-2017

Edited by AFOLegofan66

3 hours ago, Thorsten50 said:

ca 80% and 231 Pages

Thanks for the update Thorsten, it's looking great! 

40 minutes ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

I'm finished the main body and everything works great....electrical and pneumatics perfect!! Just waiting for some orange parts from BL. Boy does this baby weigh a lot.Good thing it has the large motors. When I'm done I will post on Bricksafe.

Thanks for the update as well, I'm glad to hear everything is working and performing as intended. It really is quite heavy, are you using a buwizz as I have? 

2 hours ago, Thorsten50 said:

ca. 97% Done

Looks amazing, thanks so much for all your work! 

It's coming quite nicely, I guess this is going to be my summer project.

Quick question - how difficult would you say it would be to make it without PF / pneumatics? I prefer manual cars as I build them mostly to just sit on a shelf and look pretty :-)

12 hours ago, filuS said:

It's coming quite nicely, I guess this is going to be my summer project.

Quick question - how difficult would you say it would be to make it without PF / pneumatics? I prefer manual cars as I build them mostly to just sit on a shelf and look pretty :-)

It would be doable, however you would have to make motor place holders as I did build off of the servo and xl motors. Also I'm sure you could make some sort of linkage or knob for the shifter. I'll be honest I never built this in thoughts people would want to building this especially after Jeroens Db1, so it's a very intricate build.  Also @Kalps1811 has replaced the buwizz with a lipo and s brick, and another fellow has done the regular  AA battery box and two recievers just for cheaper PF options. 

hi again another question. The two round gauges above the steering wheel....are they from a set? Looked for them but too many decal sheets to search!! Still waiting for my orange parts!!!

1 hour ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

hi again another question. The two round gauges above the steering wheel....are they from a set?

Yes, the gauges are from the Porsche set, I planned on making my own but never got around to it so I just left the Porsche gauges in place. 

1 hour ago, Thorsten50 said:

Are axes the Flex right?

They are all correct, other that the 7L as I only have 19L and 12L flex axles. So the 7 is actually a 12.

44 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

Yes, the gauges are from the Porsche set, I planned on making my own but never got around to it so I just left the Porsche gauges in place. 

They are all correct, other that the 7L as I only have 19L and 12L flex axles. So the 7 is actually a 12.

OK i will corect it

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

They say "GT3 RS" on them, so I am guessing they're from the Porsche. Edit: two different ones in the picture, one is from the Porsche but I haven't found the other yet.

Edit 2: Both from the Porsche. They're stickers but I can't find them under "Tile, Round, Decorated" in bricklink... This means you'll either need a Porsche set or buy a sticker sheet or no decorated tiles.

Contact Günter Harald 'Stone pusher' which stone they printed and has printed dei throughout parts of the Porsche.

My Porsche have no sticker. :classic:

http://steindrucker.com/

Edited by Thorsten50

Hey all, long time lurker here,

I've just finished building this without any PF or pneumatic functions. The servo motor requires a placeholder, but I've done nothing to replace the XL motors and had no trouble from that.

For a truly manual version it would require the steering and transmission to be modded.

As a note on the rear suspension, it is made in much the same mold as Didumos uses in his rugged supercar, and it needs all of it. I'd skipped the bottom torsion element, (the axle-pin connector) as it required more forcing than I could bring myself to, figuring it would be ok since I was skipping the PF elements. Unfortunately those things do not even out. The rear suspension needs all the torsion elements as described, or requires strengthening through some other means.

Other than that, it's an amazing build, with some excellent panelwork. Thanks @DugaldlC for making it available.

1 hour ago, DutchChris said:

Hey all, long time lurker here,

I've just finished building this without any PF or pneumatic functions. The servo motor requires a placeholder, but I've done nothing to replace the XL motors and had no trouble from that. 

First off welcome to eurobricks and secondly thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you were able to build a manual version without too much modification, I'm sure that will be good news for anyone who's interested in not spending money on the power functions. 

Unfortunately yes the rear suspension with the torsion bar is under stress but I really wanted to see how far you could take torsion bars with a single spring and with all the motors it was quite nessesary. Do you happen to have any pictures of the final product or the placeholder you made for the servo motor? I'm sure people would be interested in seeing the solutions you came up with. 

Edited by DugaldIC

I've just started building to see how far I'd come with the pieces I had, I didn't really expect to finish it, but in the end it came mostly down to color substitutions and finding some alternatives for missing pieces.

IMG_1667.jpg.3a00999e5a3b274f4e479ab99ccaf830.jpg

As you can see, it leans back a fair bit. My solution is to place it on a 1cm thick magazine which keeps the wheels on the floor, without straining the suspension. As it is, it will ride without dragging, but ground clearance in the back is <1mm at it's lowest point.

IMG_1655.jpg.3478ed1050efaed5c2256ba4775f0c98.jpgIMG_1658.jpg.fb054b8158a77492d3a272607264389c.jpg

This is the placeholder I've made for the servo motor, where the red connectors represent the connectors that hold the servo in place. The cog tends to skip when strained, but using a longer axle would clash with the connection to the fake engine. Substituting that axle with a shorter one and sharing the pinhole would solve that, but you'd have to integrate that earlier in the build. Regardless, steering the car from the steering wheel would be impossible due to the strain on the U-joints used. It would require modding to function.

Besides a few red and black panels/pieces you were nearly there. It looks good, other than the slant. I built it with the intentions of the torsion bars to hold it up which they do very well however there's not much you can do about it if you don't like torsion bars, although the thin book for display purposes works to.  I like your simple solution for the servo motor, this build was really meant to be RC so the steering wheel was just meant for show and to turn with the servo, not to try and turn the wheels. I've decided that the next cars I do there will be a manual/RC version and not use torsion bar so there isn't this issue :wink:

On 25/06/2017 at 3:43 PM, Thorsten50 said:

Are axes the Flex right?

wow looks awesome! i guess you use ldraw? is it easy to use? i usally make instructions via blueprint but one of my cars i wanna make instructions for has one of the porsche panels that is not yet in ldd, is it easy to use the program you use? thanks.