DugaldIC

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (instructions and parts list now available, thank you Thorsten50)

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

...and thought maybe it helps if you would fill the bottom side of the Porsche mirrors with black parts. It would make them less "knify", I think. Something like this:

That's actually the colour scheme I was trying to do or come up with, I didn't think of that but it does look good! 

2017-05-10_08-18-25

This is what I came up with but it isn't as sturdy :sceptic:

2017-05-10_08-23-50

I think your version - with the clear black/orange separation - looks better. Also because they are somewhat angled. I guess it will remain to be a trade-off between sturdiness and aesthetics.

I found out that the car has AWD. I don't think that there are AWD Aston Martin Vantages, and close to all GT3 cars have RWD. But I think it's to late to point this out.

Thanks for your help @Didumos69, it was a bit of a toss up but after testing out the durability of the non Porsche mirror I think I'll stick with it. It's fitting and durable enough, I'll add in the secondary mirrors as well in the teardown if people would like options! 

2 minutes ago, StudRobotics said:

I found out that the car has AWD. I don't think that there are AWD Aston Martin Vantages, and close to all GT3 cars have RWD. But I think it's to late to point this out.

Ahh yes, however if you had read from the thread from the beginning you would've realized the reasoning. "You're very right about Astons not being Awd but this being 4.7 pounds in framework I added Awd early on to help with the driving. I figure by the time I'm done it'll be around 6+ and that's a lot of weight to be pushing via the rear wheels." was my previous response to the same question earlier. 

1 hour ago, DugaldIC said:

Ahh yes, however if you had read from the thread from the beginning you would've realized the reasoning. "You're very right about Astons not being Awd but this being 4.7 pounds in framework I added Awd early on to help with the driving. I figure by the time I'm done it'll be around 6+ and that's a lot of weight to be pushing via the rear wheels." was my previous response to the same question earlier. 

I guess you had no choice. :grin:

I can never imagine a GT3 race car being very heavy. Is there any way to reduce the weight without ruining the look or no?

3 hours ago, StudRobotics said:

I guess you had no choice. :grin: I can never imagine a GT3 race car being very heavy. Is there any way to reduce the weight without ruining the look or no?

Well the only way it would be lighter is if I cut all the functions and made it HOG definitely won't be happening :tongue:. You have to understand when you have a car the size of the Porsche, more functions and fully rc/w gearbox it's going to be a heavy car. Hence the early decision to go with AWD. Have you ever built anything on this scale before?  

13 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Have you ever built anything on this scale before?  

No. I don't have enough pieces and I like building on a normal scale like on the project I'm working on right now.

1 hour ago, StudRobotics said:

No. I don't have enough pieces and I like building on a normal scale like on the project I'm working on right now.

"Normal"?

I think it is "normal" to build in all scales.

IMO it is also naive saying comments like "I can never imagine a GT3 race car being very heavy. Is there any way to reduce the weight...."  These are plastic parts limited by their properties and predetermined design layout.

6 hours ago, StudRobotics said:

I don't think I have much of a comment really, that would be like me asking you could you not have squeezed in some more functions and increased the interior space? See what I'm getting at? Each scale has its ups/downs and limitations. To make a large (well largish for a car) car, give it 4 power functions and, 12 unpowered features and make a strong/robust framework it's going to be heavy unfortunately! :wink:

5 hours ago, technic_addict said:

"Normal"?

I think it is "normal" to build in all scales.

IMO it is also naive saying comments like "I can never imagine a GT3 race car being very heavy. Is there any way to reduce the weight...."  These are plastic parts limited by their properties and predetermined design layout.

Thanks Technic Addict, you get the issues! Off chance do you have any idea how much the Hennessy venom weighed? @Lox Lego

1 minute ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

no matter what the weight it is going to be awesome to build...thanks a lot for doing the photo teardown...awesome!!

Thanks AFOL I'm glad you like it so far 

1 minute ago, IA creations said:

How am I going to build it if I don't have the porsche :) ?

A lot of bricklink orders or you can always get the wheel arches and 3x11 orange curved panels from Lego themselves. I have a feeling I used more orange than the Porsche provides. 

Edited by DugaldIC

4 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

Thanks Technic Addict, you get the issues! Off chance do you have any idea how much the Hennessy venom weighed?

I would guess around 5 lbs.  I can weight it tonight if you need to know for sure?

3 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

I would guess around 5 lbs.  I can weight it tonight if you need to know for sure?

Na that's alright, just for reference though. It was similar size with a lot less packed into it and it was still 5+ pounds. That was all! 

1 minute ago, DugaldIC said:

Na that's alright, just for reference though. It was similar size with a lot less packed into it and it was still 5+ pounds. That was all! 

True; however, the Hennessey uses the AA battery pack compared to your model with BuWizz.

2 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

True; however, the Hennessey uses the AA battery pack compared to your model with BuWizz.

I just double checked his old thread and it was also 6.5, seems to be common weight for us at cars this size :tongue:!  But yes it does have a battery box. 

4 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

I just double checked his old thread and it was also 6.5, seems to be common weight for us at cars this size :tongue:!  But yes it does have a battery box. 

and hundreds of 2L and 3L beams :laugh:

I just got back from @Lox Lego where we were able to get some pics of the final result, no time for footage this weekend but hopefully soon! 

IMG_8070IMG_8069IMG_8067IMG_8072IMG_8046IMG_8050IMG_8049IMG_8048IMG_8056IMG_8040IMG_7979

Video edit coming soon, with teardown to follow :wink:

Edited by DugaldIC

Probably the best looking supercar in technic history. You have taken the panels from the Porsche and turned them into something new and fresh. But....... The build structure is very sketchy all around. I think that you are rushing to get your models completed and need to take more time. Your roof and front windscreen have no support. I also feel that you should also have not used that small scale engine for a large 1/8 scale car and instead used the standard cylinders. They would have been perfect for a car of this scale.

I have been following this topic the in the last several weeks, this is one of the absolute best-ever Lego Technic supercars! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! :wub_drool:  It seems Crowkiller has a rival... :wink:

43 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I have been following this topic the in the last several weeks, this is one of the absolute best-ever Lego Technic supercars! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! :wub_drool:  It seems Crowkiller has a rival... :wink:

Both of these guys are building in completely different directions. The crowkiller models are much more lego like in their construction. This might not make much sense to people new to the technic theme until they build the models.

It is looking gorgeous indeed.:wub: But I do have the same reservations as @Meatman has on the inner structures. Then again, we all have our buildingstyles and there is no reason to prefer one over the other really. It may feel a bit rushed,but it is amazing what you can come up with in just a month of bodysculpting.

So wel done:thumbup: